Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

those > signs at the back are very like the Mercedes three pointed star. Coincidence or subliminal marketing for Mercedes? There's very little Mercedes branding on the car at all.

Williams are the only customer team to put the three point star on the overalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I like it. Looks really good and will be ready to spot in track, hopefully for not being at the back.

Watching the recent race from 2016 on YouTube really highlighted their fall from grace. Williams were regularly in the points just 4 years ago and now they have been dead last for the last 2 years.

Bottas leaving seems to have been the real turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I like the new livery but i like the old livery too. It was called the toothpaste livery and that idea that it was ridiculous, stuck.
    They've now gone from Colgate to Sensodyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Since we’re now seeing quite a few teams with financial difficulties

If a couple of them were lost, could we see teams fielding 3 drivers? It could be the only way to keep numbers on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd imagine there's a "minimum cars" clause in the rules or the FIA's agreement with Liberty somewhere, IIRC it came up when the Caterham and Marussia teams collapsed towards the end of 2014 which would have left just 18 cars.

That said, could you imagine having 6 cars all belonging to the Red Bull group, and the top 3 getting to all but dominate the points-paying positions? *shudders*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd imagine there's a "minimum cars" clause in the rules or the FIA's agreement with Liberty somewhere, IIRC it came up when the Caterham and Marussia teams collapsed towards the end of 2014 which would have left just 18 cars.

That said, could you imagine having 6 cars all belonging to the Red Bull group, and the top 3 getting to all but dominate the points-paying positions? *shudders*

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to it in principle but a Mercedes 1-3 would kill off the competition.

Imagine the driver politics and team orders!

If 3 cars were to happen, rather than ensuring it just being a Merc 123 instead of a Merc 12, I wonder would making the 3rd driver have to be a rookie or someone with a max amount of races make it a bit fairer, plus it would give more drivers a chance at F1 and if they can swim they swim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They've now gone from Colgate to Sensodyne.

Makes sense since there now trying to get sensible lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Austrian GP just one week away :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Austrian GP just one week away :cool:

Here is the info for next weekend's schedules.

Sky Sports F1

Live practice from 9:30am on Friday morning.
    Live coverage of the qualifying begins at 1pm on Saturday.
    Live race coverage begins at 1pm on Sunday.

Channel 4

F1 qualifying highlights from 6:45pm to 8:15pm on Saturday.
    F1 Race highlights at Austria is from 6:30pm until 9pm on Sunday.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Sky Sports F1

Channel 4

I was so hoping Sky would show the first race live as it's been so long and maybe they would try and get supporters back in for it but no. Even if they sent deals out to Sky subscribers to buy just the F1 channel but no nothing. Terrible. I would say the viewing figures for the first race will be terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

AMKC wrote: »
    I was so hoping Sky would show the first race live as it's been so long and maybe they would try and get supporters back in for it but no. Even if they sent deals out to Sky subscribers to buy just the F1 channel but no nothing. Terrible. I would say the viewing figures for the first race will be terrible.

I'd have thought they'd be quite high considering it's the first race and the break we've had. I do think they should've shown the first on Sky One or something, like they did with the odd football match recently, try get some old supporters back onboard.

I’m sticking to my guns and not getting sky back. Channel 4 for highlights and possibly the app that was recommended for the live info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sky Sports F1

Channel 4

2.5 hours coverage for the highlights? That's too much.

That's going to mean Stephen Jones filling the time with scripted "spontaneous" banter, pretending to trip over things and making terrible puns.

I really wish they'd go for quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

On friday morning I will tune in at 930. Don't watch the practices normally but I've missed F1!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Its been months since I posted anything on boards ......This is the last Forum im on ..............I cannot wait for this to start.I dont care if it is sh1te season something interesting will always come out of it . Even that stupid voice " Lights out and away we go" will not ruin this for me .

I didn't think I would miss this as much . Seems the absense had made me grow fonder of it . ...Interesting . Now if the Hurling had kicked back off in the same weekend I would be in dreamland .

and I know i am cheating with skygo access from a family member .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,154 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mercedes have a new diversity/anti-racism inspired livery for 2020

Ebq8F3ZXsAMfaJv?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know it is an anti-racism statement, and we all like a slick looking livery, but it's really hard to tell from that image if it's going to look the business. Really looking forward to Friday morning - might have to give work a miss.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Support the cause or don't support the cause, (I do as it happens) there's no denying that's a gorgeous livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

McLaren have got the loan (150m) from the Bank of Bahrain - McLarens preferred creditor

• Advertisement

So, who is everyone rooting for then?

I’m a big fan of Daniel Riccardo and there’s nothing not to like about Esteban Ocon either. I want them both to do really well. A dream team if you like. I think they’ll work well together.

I’ll also be be rooting for Alex Albon. If he starts gaining more points than Max, will Max’s temper show on the track? Will be fun to watch.

I’m not too pushed on the top 3 teams anymore. I don’t like how predictable it’s all’s become up there.

I mean you have to always root for Ricciardo, although I can see things going sour since he is leaving Renault

I don't see Albon outperforming Max or even coming close tbh. I can see Max in a proper title fight with Lewis, but Albon being consistantly 5/6th or lower will see them out of the constructors race

A Vettel renaissance would be a fairytale, imagine him basically being booted out of Ferrari after winning the title, unlikely but peak Ferrari

I hope Racing Point close the gap to the top 3 this year, along with McLaren

Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mercedes have a new diversity/anti-racism inspired livery for 2020

Ebq8F3ZXsAMfaJv?format=jpg&name=large

I think it looks great a fair play to Mercedes for doing it

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

That's giving Alpha Tauri a run for best looking livery on the grid.

I'd like to see Lando Norris do well. Happy to see Sainz go to Ferrari for 2021 so hoping him and LeClerc have a decent season, however short. Love how aggressive Max is so a few podiums for him too would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The new Merc reminds me of the Saubers of the early 90s.

I'd love to see Vettel win the WDC this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So, who is everyone rooting for then?
    Hamilton and Renault.

Hopefully we will get a four way battle for the title this year. Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc all having a chance of winning the championship.

I'd also love to see hamilton being beaten on track by better drivers in equal machines. Max, Seb, Danny Ric, even potentially Leclerc could all be better than him.

• Advertisement

Anyone but Hamilton!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement