Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bryson DeChambeau

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't think he's going to take over the golfing world, he's on a hot streak thats all. But I do take two things from his recent success.

Driving distances get sillier all the time. Someone will always push it farther. Unless we want pro golf to become a game of boom and pitch/chip somethings gotta be done about that. Do something with the ball or similar. Golf is interesting because of its multitude of challenges. Boom and chip is not interesting to watch.

I don't envy him his success, fair play, here is a man of conviction and dedication. But between his thick neck gorilla look and his ungainly looking action (and his slow play) I will never like watching him. In fact if all golf swings looked like his I'd give up watching golf altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Could he overpower Augusta? It seems to be laid out to prevent that from happening. Most holes call for a shape to the shot. I think whatever golf authorities do from here on in the first rule should be no driver with loft less than 10 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Could he overpower Augusta? It seems to be laid out to prevent that from happening. Most holes call for a shape to the shot. I think whatever golf authorities do from here on in the first rule should be no driver with loft less than 10 degrees.

You don't need to shape it if you can go over though!

10* limit would impact the amateur game too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I don't thing any other tweaks are needed other than a shortening of the ball. That would sort the problem. They can make a ball no problem that takes 10 or 15 or whatever percent is decided off the distance the ball will go for every body's hit of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I don't thing any other tweaks are needed other than a shortening of the ball. That would sort the problem. They can make a ball no problem that takes 10 or 15 or whatever percent is decided off the distance the ball will go for every body's hit of today.

How does this take the advantage away from long hitters?

I'm not fully convinced anything needs to be done tbh. The average distance on tour is still below 300 yards I think. There is only 15 or so players that average better than 310. Dialing back the distance is just going to make it unfair on the average hitters.

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    How does this take the advantage away from long hitters?
    It doesnt and shouldnt, thats the point.
    If you take 20% off the ball then everyone moves back, long is still long and short is still short (although not actually as short as before)
    I'm not fully convinced anything needs to be done tbh. The average distance on tour is still below 300 yards I think. There is only 15 or so players that average better than 310. Dialing back the distance is just going to make it unfair on the average hitters.

It needs to be done to make the game more interesting and to make more courses interesting to play and watch.
    Forget the idea of dialing back the long guys to make it "fair", its nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Exactly, I'd much rather see guys hitting a drive and a 5 wood into a par 5 green and holing a putt for eagle rather than smashing a driver 360 into the rough and bludgeoning a 9 iron from there. Make them work for it a bit.

I remember hearing DJ say he barely knows the distance he hits a 3 and 4 iron because he uses them so rarely. Sums it up really.

NDWC wrote: »
    Exactly, I'd much rather see guys hitting a drive and a 5 wood into a par 5 green and holing a putt for eagle rather than smashing a driver 360 into the rough and bludgeoning a 9 iron from there. Make them work for it a bit.

I remember hearing DJ say he barely knows the distance he hits a 3 and 4 iron because he uses them so rarely. Sums it up really.

Yeah, or "whats a fairway wood? When would I ever need to hit that!"

I just think bringing back the distances would mean we would see more skill, more shaping, more spin control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

From the 14th June 2010 to 5th July 2020 DeChambeau played four tournaments, finishing 3rd, 8th, 6th, 1st.
    He had 14 rounds between 64 and 68 and two rounds of 70.
    He was 69 under par in those four tournaments.
    1 shot behind in 3rd; 5 shots behind in 8th; 4 shots behind in 6th; 1st by 3 shots.

In the three tournaments before that in Feb/Mar 2020 he was 5th, 2nd, 4th.

In 2020 he is 1st in driving distance, 112th in driving accuracy, 6th in greens in regulation.

Stevie Wonder could see there has been a physical change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Don't like him at all, an immature child, roid rage goon, most of his drives are 350 yards but wildly inaccurate, gets away with it on generic US courses. Took a dislike to him when Richard McEvoy won the European open, and he sulked. **** wedge player too, and a flukey putter. Pga drug testing has to come in, protein shakes, yeah right

• Advertisement

Will the USA send him to the Olympics?
    I would like to see that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He's not on steroids, he has probably put on more fat than muscle. you don't need steroids to put on fat.

Don't like him at all, an immature child, roid rage goon, most of his drives are 350 yards but wildly inaccurate, gets away with it on generic US courses. Took a dislike to him when Richard McEvoy won the European open, and he sulked. **** wedge player too, and a flukey putter. Pga drug testing has to come in, protein shakes, yeah right

At Detroit Golf Club, it turned out his driver wasn’t DeChambeau’s most valuable club—which should be a cringeworthy thought for every other golfer on the PGA Tour. Yes, Brawny Bryson led the field in strokes gained/off the tee (6.672 cumulative) with a driving distance average of 350.6 yards. But arguably more impressive was the fact he picked up 7.831 strokes gained with his putter over 72 holes, including 2.62 on Sunday. DeChambeau wound up leading the field in that category, too, which led to this gem of a stat from the PGA Tour.

For the 2019-’20 season, DeChambeau ranks second in SG/off the tee and 12th in SG/putting. This are significant improvements from previous seasons. Consider:

Without looking up the definition of Strokes Gained Putting is his putting improvement due to playing a wedge on almost every second shot to a few feet while the rest of the field are playing mid-irons?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Sorry lad, what I mean is that while McIlroy might be number one on the world rankings when you just look at simple wins on tour which is really the name of the game, then those are the four main men. So that Dechambeau is heading for number one is no surprise, and those are three who have also been number one in those years - apart from McIlroy. Which while he has had a few wins, shows that he has a problem not just with winning majors but with winning anything. Sorry its long to explain but I think theres some truth in that point.

BDC wont get to No1 without winning a major or 2.
    His major record is laughable.

1 Top 15 and only one other top 25 out of 10 starts.

the big bombing is great craic, but last night and last week and the week before in rd4 he hit some wild ones... that wont go unpunished in the majors.

BDC wont get to No1 without winning a major or 2.
    His major record is laughable.

1 Top 15 and only one other top 25 out of 10 starts.

the big bombing is great craic, but last night and last week and the week before in rd4 he hit some wild ones... that wont go unpunished in the majors.

Every record of his from BC was arguably laughable, he is a different beast now (literally) so I'd wait until there has actually been a major before writing him off.

I know lots of other higher ranked golfers who are prone to a wild one off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Without looking up the definition of Strokes Gained Putting is his putting improvement due to playing a wedge on almost every second shot to a few feet while the rest of the field are playing mid-irons?

Isn't strokes gains based on your performance relative to the field for the same distances as opposed to just number of putts?

So it's how many 10ft putts you make relative to how many the fields average performance.

Eg is the average from 10ft is 1.7 strokes and you 1-putt you gain 0.7 strokes on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Isn't strokes gains based on your performance relative to the field for the same distances as opposed to just number of putts?

So it's how many 10ft putts you make relative to how many the fields average performance.

Eg is the average from 10ft is 1.7 strokes and you 1-putt you gain 0.7 strokes on the field

Yes. It takes into account distance to work out probability of making a putt and compares against this

He made some big putts

He was helped by average wedge play to be able make those putts.

He really needs improve wedge play. Am sure he was even worse last 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

His putting has been equally impressive to his driving imo. He left at least 3 putts just short in the Jaws on Sunday also from what I remember. He experimented with different techniques over the last few years and has obviously found something that works for him. Someone who called his putting flukey is clutching a bit. It has been consistently well above average for the best part of a year now and the stats back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I was watching some old videos of Moe Norman and I was struck by the similarity in his swing and that of B De C.
    Moe has always been regarded by professionals in the game as one of the best and straightest ball strikers that the game has ever seen. He never achieved much success mainly because he had an oddball personality and never ‘fitted in’ on the pro tour.
    I have never heard Bryson make any reference to Moe or the influence he might have had, but the similarities in golf swing, not to mention personality, are striking.

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was watching some old videos of Moe Norman and I was struck by the similarity in his swing and that of B De C.
    Moe has always been regarded by professionals in the game as one of the best and straightest ball strikers that the game has ever seen. He never achieved much success mainly because he had an oddball personality and never ‘fitted in’ on the pro tour.
    I have never heard Bryson make any reference to Moe or the influence he might have had, but the similarities in golf swing, not to mention personality, are striking.

He was also a terrible putter!

Todd & Tim Graves (Graves Golf) basically own the rights to the Moe Norman swing, they talk about similarities with BDC here

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

A golf pro.. but opting out of competitions and then a covit stop to competition.. Putting on 3 stone and hitting an average of 350... mind boggles..We have seem it in other sports and media have chose to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

BoldReason wrote: »
    His putting has been equally impressive to his driving imo. He left at least 3 putts just short in the Jaws on Sunday also from what I remember. He experimented with different techniques over the last few years and has obviously found something that works for him. Someone who called his putting flukey is clutching a bit. It has been consistently well above average for the best part of a year now and the stats back that up.

That was me, maybe flukey is harsh, but he reminds me of Adam Scott with that ridiculous broomstick, his putting is like a broomstick with the handle cut off, it's not a natural stroke. I don't like him anyway, and not just because he is doing well, just because I think he doesn't respect the game, and is a bit sour, but nobody's perfect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Clearly remember his putting stance at The Open last year, when he lined up to putt the entire crowd around me joined in a gasp and half just turned away, it looks so bad in reality, it's just not funny, I was one of those who just could not look at it, the way he has his shoulders and so rigid gives me the heebee jeebees

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

That was me, maybe flukey is harsh, but he reminds me of Adam Scott with that ridiculous broomstick, his putting is like a broomstick with the handle cut off, it's not a natural stroke. I don't like him anyway, and not just because he is doing well, just because I think he doesn't respect the game, and is a bit sour, but nobody's perfect.

How doesn't he respect the game?

I don't like him for a whole host of reasons but I don't see how he disrespects the game.

slave1 wrote: »
    Clearly remember his putting stance at The Open last year, when he lined up to putt the entire crowd around me joined in a gasp and half just turned away, it looks so bad in reality, it's just not funny, I was one of those who just could not look at it, the way he has his shoulders and so rigid gives me the heebee jeebees

And yet the ball just doesn't seem to care what he looks like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Does it really matter what you look like if you are able to get it in the hole in less strokes than everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Bryson is the most exciting player in golf at the moment. I enjoy watching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

slave1 wrote: »

There's far too much talked about how pros putting style is. It has nothing really to do with how they put. It's just visuals. Even Bryson and his mechanical/engineering/physicist/scientist stuff where he is trying to make himself close to a machine is nothing other than all in his head. Skill wise he could put and look 50 different ways and he'd have the same results - if he had his head straight. Every crazy method is used with great success. Just look at a it any week where you've the best 100 golfers in the world at it. And you see loads of styles. Which proves that there is no method better than another. Its all in the head. So it doesn't matter how Bryson looks. The bottom line is he's putting great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

SAXA wrote: »
    A golf pro.. but opting out of competitions and then a covit stop to competition.. Putting on 3 stone and hitting an average of 350... mind boggles..We have seem it in other sports and media have chose to ignore

It stinks. When it seems too good to be true...................

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement