Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pewdiepie why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is it any weirder than people who watch golf on television? Which is nothing more than Grass - sky sky sky sky - Grass. Over and over again.

It might be that attention span thing you had backwards before :) You know - where you could not remember a characters name the day after a movie and thought the people who followed the entire 11 year story arc had attention issues :)
    it.

I’ll admit I cannot even remember the name of the movie at this stage. Avengers Cynical Money Grab it will forever be known for.
    I just don’t get how people would find the idea of watching someone else playing a video game to be an enjoyable and/or useful pastime. It’s one pasty white dude gawking at another pasty white guy mashing buttons on a controller.

Read a good book or something. Jesus, even knitting.

I will rest my case on the attention span issues then and where they really lie :)

But as I said - like with golf and darts - it is often not the game so much as the characters playing the game that people are watching. I mean golf and darts really? 2 over weight alcoholics throwing the same three pieces of mettal at the same spot over and oveR?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I’ll admit I cannot even remember the name of the movie at this stage. Avengers Cynical Money Grab it will forever be known for.
    I just don’t get how people would find the idea of watching someone else playing a video game to be an enjoyable and/or useful pastime. It’s one pasty white dude gawking at another pasty white guy mashing buttons on a controller.

Read a good book or something. Jesus, even knitting.

PewDiePie hasn't played a game in years!
    WTAF are you even on about?
    :pac:

marcbrophy wrote: »

Do the children actually have to be doing anything wrong for the old guy on the porch to wave his stick at them and say "young people today?" :)

marcbrophy wrote: »

Isn’t that how he became famous? Playing games on YouTube and saying cuss words so his audience of kids and man-children thought he was cool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I will rest my case on the attention span issues then and where they really lie :)

But as I said - like with golf and darts - it is often not the game so much as the characters playing the game that people are watching. I mean golf and darts really? 2 over weight alcoholics throwing the same three pieces of mettal at the same spot over and oveR?

I think you’re being a bit disingenuous now, T. There is a big difference between a professional golfer playing a round than someone sat at home pushing buttons. The golfer will have been physically training all their lives to turn their favourite sport into a career. The guy sat at home might well “clock up” hours in front of the screen but in reality he, or she, won’t have done very much at all.

And you may sneer at the weight of a professional darts player but I don’t believe there would be much of a sport if the people training hard all their lives to become a professional were able to just sit back and hit a pre-programmed combination of buttons to hit the treble twenty on demand.

“E-Sports” and that remote control helicopter racing are a blight on the television screens of this country. How they are shown on Sky Sports is beyond me. Keep them online where they belong with the type of person who actually considers them a “sport”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I think you’re being a bit disingenuous now, T.

Well yes. It was deliberate - I was mirroring the tone I was responding to to make a point :) I actually quite like watching Darts.
    “E-Sports” and that remote control helicopter racing are a blight on the television screens of this country. How they are shown on Sky Sports is beyond me. Keep them online where they belong with the type of person who actually considers them a “sport”.

Meh - that would be a point back in the days of limited TV bandwidth. But we do not have that issue any more. Put anything you like on television these days. It is not a limited resource and likely never will be again.

Blight on televisions? I would look to the shopping channels and Evangelical Preacher channels _long long_ before I would be giving that rosette to E-Sports.

There is a range of computer games out there though and your descriptions of them and their players might fit some. But actually some of them are quite in-depth in terms of strategy and skills involved in playing them. It is not just "pre programmed" all the time. In fact I followed one game with interest some years ago as it started showing up in things like the Financial Times because of the strategy and business models that showed up in it - culminating in it breaking the record for the largest value transaction for virtual real estate ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

These Youtubers in general are a load of old muck. My nephew spends his whole day playing video games and the internet and now he’s too lazy to play the games himself! Watching lads on Twitch or whatever it is.

Isn’t that how he became famous? Playing games on YouTube and saying cuss words so his audience of kids and man-children thought he was cool?

Yes, the man initially played video games for his audience.
    Has not done so as part of a regular schedule on his channel since 2016.
    He's not a gaming channel anymore.

Also, if you are type of person who thinks people are "man-children" because they don't look down at people who swear, then I'm done here!

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    These Youtubers in general are a load of old muck.

Yea despite his 96 million subscribers I can not say I have heard - to my recollection - this guys name before today. But I am not into you tube gamers all that much at all.

At most I watched Sweet Anita a little but she is much easier on the eye for me - very funny - and her torettes makes her both amusing and highly interesting given I enjoy studying conditions of the brain or incidental with the brain of that sort.
    My nephew spends his whole day playing video games and the internet and now he’s too lazy to play the games himself! Watching lads on Twitch or whatever it is.

Well in fairness if the kid is doing _either_ for the "whole day" then which one of them he is doing is the least of his issues.

Computer games are coming into my consciousness at the moment as my kids at 5+8 are coming up to the age where they will start expressing an interest.

Allow them access in a healthy and time controlled fashion is my main goal with it. As we have no Games Machines of any kind on the house at the moment I am thinking of buying one or two _for myself_ rather than ever buying any for them.

Then at least the dynamic is different and playing games is something they will do with me as a daddy-child time thing rather than something I will ever send them off to do themselves - or use as a virtual baby sitter as some parents are wont to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's just too easy for Johnny and Woke whenever this topic comes up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Had a read-up and a look at him after the NZ shooting and came to 2 conclusions:
    1. Some of the allegations levelled at him are untrue. He does some things for shock value but isn't some alt-right fascist
    2. I found him and the whole "youtubers calling each other out" incredibly boring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Had a read-up and a look at him after the NZ shooting and came to 2 conclusions:
    1. Some of the allegations levelled at him are untrue. He does some things for shock value but isn't some alt-right fascist
    2. I found him and the whole "youtubers calling each other out" incredibly boring

Context and logic goes out the window when you want to label somebody.

Context and logic goes out the window when you want to label somebody.

And how. On this very forum there was a great thread about a podcaster who used a word - and literally _as he used the word_ he defined what he meant by it and what the word means to him right there in the context of his use of it.

Then all the people who hate him rolled up to explain everything he said through _their_ meaning of the word - ignoring his entirely. They quoted everything he said at times _except_ the bit where he defined the word in fact. They quoted everything else he said.

Some even were going so far as to invent definitions of the word that exist in no dictionary ever that I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Computer games are coming into my consciousness at the moment as my kids at 5+8 are coming up to the age where they will start expressing an interest.

Allow them access in a healthy and time controlled fashion is my main goal with it. As we have no Games Machines of any kind on the house at the moment I am thinking of buying one or two _for myself_ rather than ever buying any for them.

Then at least the dynamic is different and playing games is something they will do with me as a daddy-child time thing rather than something I will ever send them off to do themselves - or use as a virtual baby sitter as some parents are wont to do.
    Talk to parents with older children to see what apps are popular and start on the multimedia now.
    A lot of the parents I meet will say that there is a behaviour change in their children for a short period after gaming, all the adrenaline without physical action can make them hyper.

But there is also issue of the communication apps and teaching children about the consequences of sending information out into the www.

Yea despite his 96 million subscribers I can not say I have heard - to my recollection - this guys name before today. But I am not into you tube gamers all that much at all.

At most I watched Sweet Anita a little but she is much easier on the eye for me - very funny - and her torettes makes her both amusing and highly interesting given I enjoy studying conditions of the brain or incidental with the brain of that sort.

Well in fairness if the kid is doing _either_ for the "whole day" then which one of them he is doing is the least of his issues.

Good man. Everything in moderation.

My kids were teenagers when Youtube got very big, so my wife and I were adamant to our children that they cannot let the computer interfere with their studying or personal development. That meant that they had to get good marks in school, they had to participate in some form of physical exercise, they had to leave the house every once in a while.

It stuck with my son: he's flying it in college down in the capital and he's a very capable runner (like his old man!) but my daughter fell into the Youtube vortex in a big way.

She's unfortunately quite overweight and she's a huge fan (no pun intended) of these "healthy at every size" crusaders. Promoting unhealthy lifestyles, claiming that it's alright to stuff your face with ****e all day and sermonising about "skinny privilege" and the patriarchy myth.

I've mentioned my nephew before but it's galling to see an formerly healthy young man sitting on a beanbag, his form melding with the bag's, cheering as some spotty nerd from California beats a cartoon Dracula on the computer. It's very upsetting.

parents I meet will say that there is a behaviour change in their children for a short period after gaming, all the adrenaline without physical action can make them hyper.

Ah I have apps and my attitude and approach to them sorted out already. No issue there. It is just gaming that has not managed to get into the house at all yet.

And as for physical action my kids are good there. Teaching them a combat styles and dance styles already - as well as farming and hunting - and shooting rifles, other guns and archery. If anything they need _less_ physical action in their life not more :) Though I am getting them into meditation too so that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Think the conversation is a bit more nuanced than that to be honest. When the New Zealand shooter who killed 50 people is telling people to 'subscribe to PewDiePie' in his manifesto

And he also talked about Spyro the Dragon being an inspiration. His irony was so heavy handed that it is only misinterpreted due to how out-of-place meme culture feels in the midst of a massacre. He may have as well said [insert Jake Paul catchphrase here] and it would have had as much meaning

Do I think he's a neo-nazi corrupting innocent minds? Of course not, but he's got an unbelievably large young and impressionable audience and with that comes a responsibility that he hasn't always lived up to.

He's not a teacher. He predominantly plays general audience video games, and anybody can watch him, as they can anyone else. I think that somewhat limits the amount of responsibility one can place on his shoulders. He has to abide by Youtube terms of use, naturally.

I've mentioned my nephew before but it's galling to see an formerly healthy young man sitting on a beanbag, his form melding with the bag's, cheering as some spotty nerd from California beats a cartoon Dracula on the computer. It's very upsetting.

What age is the little prick? One of my young fellas would be a bit like that, if it weren’t for proactive parenting. He’d rather sit in playing computer games than spending time playing sports or chasing skirt. Morose kinda lad. Anyways he gets no money from me if he doesn’t go to hurling training three times a week. He’s almost 17 now so I think he’s emerging from that 14-16 slot where young fellas tend to give up sport and spend their time instead **** off and playing online computer games.

What age is the little prick? One of my young fellas would be a bit like that, if it weren’t for proactive parenting. He’d rather sit in playing computer games than spending time playing sports or chasing skirt. Morose kinda lad. Anyways he gets no money from me if he doesn’t go to hurling training three times a week. He’s almost 17 now so I think he’s emerging from that 14-16 slot where young fellas tend to give up sport and spend their time instead **** off and playing online computer games.
    My nephew is in his late teens. Unfortunately he's a lost cause, thanks to my sister. Soft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Lame journos jealous that a guy with a micro budget has the revenue stream of a tv station?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

He's a very popular youtuber, think he's the highest paid youtuber and has the most amount of subscribers - over 96.5 million. For that reason, I wouldnt look into it too much, considering the amount of subscribers he has, its not unlikely that a handful of them will be deranged psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

He's a very popular youtuber, think he's the highest paid youtuber and has the most amount of subscribers - over 96.5 million. For that reason, I wouldnt look into it too much, considering the amount of subscribers he has, its not unlikely that a handful of them will be deranged psychopaths.

He is neither the most subscribed or highest earner anymore.

He still earns about $15.5 million a year tough according to forbes.

Just to really make you sick jealous, the highest earner is a 7 year old kid that reviews toys. $22 million his channel earned last year according to forbes.

Sure look at the amount of deranged psychopaths in Ireland and pewdiepie has 15x more subs than people in Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmm, 3m of him was enough for me but I can see the attraction. He's very engaging, links his message together well and before you know it you've been watching for 15m. He has a lot of opinions but ultimately it's just really vacuous stuff tied in with random video clips and his own personal view of the world. I can't say there was anything controversial in what he said but with such a captive audience comes a level of responsibility. I think he's more concerned about his popularity than trivial things like responsibility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Tzardine wrote: »
    He is neither the most subscribed or highest earner anymore.

He still earns about $15.5 million a year tough according to forbes.

Just to really make you sick jealous, the highest earner is a 7 year old kid that reviews toys. $22 million his channel earned last year according to forbes.

Good for them, is all I can say, having figured out something. (Or in the 7-year-old's case, the dad).

That said, it can take a lot of work. I'm pulling about $3-4k/month grosse on Youtube (Knock off at least $1k on expenses) and it all takes a ridiculous amount of time and effort. My evenings are spent scriptwriting, editing, designing merchandise... often until 1/2am, and not relaxing with the family, which is beginning to concern me. It truly is a second job (third job, in my case). Unfortunately, my bills also concern me. In theory, if I go at it long enough, it can turn into a better work/reward ratio, but the analytics tools are telling me it'll take a couple years yet. I'll lay money someone like Pewdiepie is actually rather busy and works his arse off. Even with the staff he doubtless has to help him.

There is a bloke in Offaly with 22million subscribers, I wonder if he is on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Do the children actually have to be doing anything wrong for the old guy on the porch to wave his stick at them and say "young people today?" :)

No more just intrigued in how some random dude with a webcam playing video games can gain mainstream infamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No more just intrigued in how some random dude with a webcam playing video games can gain mainstream infamy.

It's called "getting old"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

YouTubers are just modern day story tellers. Not in the vein of Shakespeare or anything like it, more akin to an old drunk man in the pub who is fun to listen to.

Screen time is screen time, whether it's watching a tv show or YouTuber is all the same. Once children get enough exercise in the week and get all school work done properly it's all good imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Reminds me of the crowd in Northern Ireland who protested Frankie Boyle's comedy show because he made fun of someone in a wheelchair. Basically the thought police are on their usual patrol and happened across someone who they didn't like and wanted to take down a peg or two.

"oi you got a license for that joke? no!? into the gulag you go!"

Could have done with that for Jim Davidson.

Advertisement