Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You would say that (what with your boards avatar and all) - Frank was a gent to work with btw and a true gaeilgeoir too.

It's why I feel confident in claiming "Irishness" :pac: for the brand, like those pesky Normans...became more Irish than the Irish themselves...

Sure if it wasn't for the Hiberno-Chinese....
    We wouldn't have the Spice Bag, and without the Spice bag the world would be a far poorer place :P

Any chance of a whiteface (at the risk of sounding racist.is that the correct term):o
    Just purchased a blackface recently so wouldn’t mind something a little different- also what choice in straps?
    In terms of the website, as someone new to watches, I did find myself getting sucked into the marketing blurb that went into the watch design- don’t underestimate how powerful that can be to a newbie (aka sucker :P ) like me
    Watch looks lovely- well wear and best wishes with rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Any chance of a whiteface (at the risk of sounding racist.is that the correct term):o
    Just purchased a blackface recently so wouldn’t mind something a little different- also what choice in straps?
    In terms of the website, as someone new to watches, I did find myself getting sucked into the marketing blurb that went into the watch design- don’t underestimate how powerful that can be to a newbie (aka sucker :P ) like me
    Watch looks lovely- well wear and best wishes with rollout

Hey there - thanks for the words of encouragement.

Answering your questions in turn:

1. With the dial material that was chosen (aventurine) there pretty much is just that one colour option - I have to say that it isn't pure black, but rather a deep navy/blue that if you shine a bright light directly at it (think sun at noon or your phone's torch) becomes a much more striking blue. Day to day on the wrist people will see it as black/navy though. Each dial will be unique though as the manufacturing process results in slightly different metallic inflections in each one made.

2. Continuing on with the Model T trend - right now I've paired it with a leather black band - the quick release springbars will allow easy changing to other straps. A lot of people who really get into watches often have their own preference of straps so I'm keeping it simple for watch no.1.

3. Blurb - glad to hear that it reads well. The design did go through a few iterations so I'd like to think that I tried to make each piece fit within the theme. I've tried to concentrate on putting things that would be valuable to people (even if people just entering the world of watch collecting) - so no 200m water resistance on a leather strap dress watch :D - also tried to make it "Irish" without going over the top with leprechauns, green everything and shamrocks everywhere. Classy not kitsch I guess :p

Everyone has to start somewhere - if you have any questions about watches this forum is very helpful (say if you needed white dialled recommendations :D )

3. Blurb - glad to hear that it reads well. The design did go through a few iterations so I'd like to think that I tried to make each piece fit within the theme. I've tried to concentrate on putting things that would be valuable to people (even if people just entering the world of watch collecting) - so no 200m water resistance on a leather strap dress watch :D - also tried to make it "Irish" without going over the top with leprechauns, green everything and shamrocks everywhere. Classy not kitsch I guess :p

I was probably more talking about marketing blurb in general and how it influences a sucker like me :D -sorry Ii didn't study your blurb closely but if I've time over coming days, and if you wish, I'll have a read and see how it resonates with a newbie like me and will send you a PM on my thoughts? (don't want to wreck your buzz by critiquing it here on the thread in case I say something you don't like- it's only 1 person's view)

Not at all - there's a reason why I've put it in soft launch at the moment - it's to get feedback from the more close-knit community here on boards before it's promoted in front of the Reddits and WUS etc. forums.

Any thoughts are always appreciated - here on thread or via PM. Equally I do hope people aren't disappointed if certain suggestions are considered but not taken on board - I think when trying to get a project like this off the ground you unfortunately can't be all things to all people :D

I actually didn't think I put in a lot of marketing blurb :o - so even pointing out where you feel the marketing comes in would be helpful! I can have a look and see if I'm coming across as layering it on too thick or something :) .

edit: By the way - I've started getting in touch with watch review sites to see if they'd be interested in providing a non-paid review of the watch - so far have contacted these:
    Wristwatchreview.co.uk
    TheTimeBum.com – inactive – last video 1 year ago
    Wornandwound.com –
    Fratellowatches.com – not too active on youtube anymore
    Ablogtowatch.com
    Just One More Watch (Youtube channel)
    Random Rob (YT channel) -
    Watchitallabout.com -
    Watchreport.com

Are there any other affordable watch review sites that people like watching on Youtube? I might give them a bell to see if they'd be interested in providing honest feedback on the watch too.

• Advertisement

Not at all - there's a reason why I've put it in soft launch at the moment - it's to get feedback from the more close-knit community here on boards before it's promoted in front of the Reddits and WUS etc. forums.

Any thoughts are always appreciated - here on thread or via PM. Equally I do hope people aren't disappointed if certain suggestions are considered but not taken on board - I think when trying to get a project like this off the ground you unfortunately can't be all things to all people :D

Oh my goodness, no, not at all would I be offended-it's you're gig and I'm just excited for you considering the Irish angle and being a newbie to watch-world, only giving 1 opinion, so feel free to blow my feedback out of the water- no offence taken at all ;)

Interesting to see the amount of sites that want to go through the sponsored article route (understandably they are businesses too).

Would have thought an affordable micro-rotor microbrand would have piqued their interest for an honest to goodness review :o

Did get some positive responses from sites for actual reviews too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What width are the lugs? Can't see it anywhere. I think I might have to make an exception about not buying watches with a sub-second dial this year.

I suppose the virus has slowed things down a bit in China, hope it all comes together for you. I know it's designed in Ireland, but it would be great if even the strap could be from Irish leather, but alas we have no leather industry anymore.

How many will be in the first batch?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    What width are the lugs? Can't see it anywhere. I think I might have to make an exception about not buying watches with a sub-second dial this year.

I suppose the virus has slowed things down a bit in China, hope it all comes together for you. I know it's designed in Ireland, but it would be great if even the strap could be from Irish leather, but alas we have no leather industry anymore.

How many will be in the first batch?

Hey Blue - indeed - I was asking on boards for bit trying to find some leather suppliers - seems like the only ones that are there are either making sofas or very bespoke fashion items like clothing. If you do know of anyone who isn't going to be supplying bespoke leather straps that cost 300+ euro :D I'd love to hear from you. Obviously on a price point Ireland won't be competing against the large scale industries suppliers like in China or even the rest of Europe - but my problem was even finding someone who could potentially supply maybe 10-30 euro(?) wholescale price straps for a 300+ piece order at a time.

It'd be a nice add-on for the future at the very least...

Or Irish metal casters who could potentially make the deployant? I think that's an even greater longshot than the leather (which I would have thought at least some Irish people/companies might be involved in).

Do you know what happens to all the leather that results from the by-product of the beef industry in Ireland? Is it shipped out to other countries for processing?

The way I see it there could be two possibilities - using Irish sourced leather, or having the leather straps made in Ireland. Obviously my irregular orders by itself won't be enough to maintain an actual company but maybe an interested individual or an Irish company which already makes leather goods.

Back to the actual watch: lug width is 20mm and 300 is the minimum I need in order to get the project backed.

Interestingly as I am aware of my tax obligations from my legal background I can only sell 420ish max - otherwise I'll need to add 23% VAT onto the watch price and I'm very keen to avoid that for backers. First batch definitely won't reach 500 for tax reasons.

Thanks for asking about lugs - will put that info on the site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Hey Blue - indeed - I was asking on boards for bit trying to find some leather suppliers - seems like the only ones that are there are either making sofas or very bespoke fashion items like clothing. If you do know of anyone who isn't going to be supplying bespoke leather straps that cost 300+ euro :D I'd love to hear from you. Obviously on a price point Ireland won't be competing against the large scale industries suppliers like in China or even the rest of Europe - but my problem was even finding someone who could potentially supply maybe 10-30 euro(?) wholescale price straps for a 300+ piece order at a time.

It'd be a nice add-on for the future at the very least...

Or Irish metal casters who could potentially make the deployant? I think that's an even greater longshot than the leather (which I would have thought at least some Irish people/companies might be involved in).

Do you know what happens to all the leather that results from the by-product of the beef industry in Ireland? Is it shipped out to other countries for processing?

The way I see it there could be two possibilities - using Irish sourced leather, or having the leather straps made in Ireland. Obviously my irregular orders by itself won't be enough to maintain an actual company but maybe an interested individual or an Irish company which already makes leather goods.

Back to the actual watch: lug width is 20mm and 300 is the minimum I need in order to get the project backed.

Interestingly as I am aware of my tax obligations from my legal background I can only sell 420ish max - otherwise I'll need to add 23% VAT onto the watch price and I'm very keen to avoid that for backers. First batch definitely won't reach 500 for tax reasons.

Thanks for asking about lugs - will put that info on the site too.

Did Carlton brown not send material to somewhere and get straps made? I think South America?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 fiona_b

Love the look! fl4gg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had forgotten about that thread. These would look great I think.

DSC_0096.jpg

That is an interesting option - and something to consider (even the difference in material) - actually I'm sure I could theoretically supply materials to China to get it made up to custom specifications for the Starlight.

...However, at this moment it might just be a step too far (lawyer by profession - conservative by nature :D ) - getting this done separately will definitely lead to a lot points of potential failure and delay as I'd need to review what the factory can produce, QA, turnarounds, sourcing the materials etc. The option has been added to my project folder as something to explore in the future though - I've never had a tweed strap before - anyone tried it? What's it like to use over the long term? Part of that conservatism is wanting to keep to leather for project no.1 too.

And on Etsy I found 1 Irish leather strap maker - beautiful handmade straps - but each one costs around 90 euro - I don't think wholesale will get that down enough :o

You could add it as an additional/upgrade strap to ship separately? Would avoid holding up the watch if there was a delay on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@ThirdFox, what are you talking about in terms of retail price again?

Love the black starlight dial.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @ThirdFox, what are you talking about in terms of retail price again?

Love the black starlight dial.

It's interesting you mention retail price - currently the plan is to offer a few at 329, a few at 349/359 (not entirely sure yet - leaning towards 349) and the majority at 379 euro. At these prices (per my calculations and gosh I hope I'm right on this) - I won't make a loss even with the inevitable number of returns, people backing out, repairs etc.

The RRP of €549 wasn't plucked out of thin air either - I think it was realistically what I personally would need to charge for the watch at a minimum for it to be commercially viable i.e. if my living was going to be based on this rather than it just being a "passion project" of mine that I can do on the side of my real job.

I don't think too many will be sold at RRP prices but who knows - I will certainly have a few extra stored afterwards over what can be sold tax efficiently.

Heh - all on the premise that this project is successful of course :pac:

A quick update - on the factory side nothing much to report, but on seeking reviews an interesting statistic:

17 watch/gear channels contacted over the last 5 days;
    3 have responded positively to giving a review of the watch when it is ready;
    1 said no (considered not suitable);
    4 wanted payment - some were really interested in the micro-rotor.

And you know that's fair enough if youtube creators want to base their business around their channel then sponsored posts do make financial sense.

I've just taken the personal principle that with the kickstarter new financing format, I want to reach an audience not through advertisement, but through genuine word of mouth/genuine honest reviews. After the money I've spent on R&D an extra $200 for a sponsored video is actually a drop in the bucket, but it's the principle of the matter. I want to let it live or die on its own merits :)

One company wanted $1500 for a sponsored post - which again hey I'm sure may be cost-effective if 1) I was making enough of a profit to have such an advertising budget and 2) I wanted to sell as many watches as possible, rather than just limit it to 400+ units.

And not overhyping it at all - but a quick straw poll - if I were to offer a made in Ireland full-grain leather strap (hand cut and stitched) - what would people believe is a "fair price" for the strap? Suffice it to say, it can't possibly be as low as a Chinese made leather strap and I only learned recently that "genuine leather" generally means the lowest grade of leather (vs. full-grain/top-grain - I'm a watch buff, not leather buff :o ). I may be able to offer something as a select add-on (or maybe even after funding for interested parties - not officially part of the Solas campaign itself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I think it is a good idea as an optional extra or after purchase extra considering you want to keep the price down

I'll be quite honest, given the lack of commercial Irish Tannery and Leather production, when even sliotars are being imported (albeit we do still have local manufacturers), the price of "boutique" Irish leather would already be an issue.

The cachet of an Irish Leather strap wouldn't sway my buying decision.

I'd look at an Irish leather strap for @€;80 and immediately wonder what kind of handmade strap I can get from ZicZac in alligator or ostrich for lower cost.

That's just me, it'd be a choice informed by cost/quality for me rather than looking for an Irish strap.

• Advertisement

I'd say the Irish strap might appeal to the American market if you offered it as an extra but I don't think us locals would be too bothered!

Ryath wrote: »
    I'd say the Irish strap might appeal to the American market if you offered it as an extra but I don't think us locals would be too bothered!

:D That'd be the Oirish strap, hand crafted by the cobbler descendants of leprechauns :P

But you are right, it's more of appeal to the international buyer than the Irish IMO and in that regard could well be a goer.

banie01 wrote: »
    I'll be quite honest, given the lack of commercial Irish Tannery and Leather production, when even sliotars are being imported (albeit we do still have local manufacturers), the price of "boutique" Irish leather would already be an issue.

The cachet of an Irish Leather strap wouldn't sway my buying decision.

I'd look at an Irish leather strap for @€;80 and immediately wonder what kind of handmade strap I can get from ZicZac in alligator or ostrich for lower cost.

That's just me, it'd be a choice informed by cost/quality for me rather than looking for an Irish strap.

Indeed - there are commercial forces at play here.

I didn't know about ZicZac - but have bought two straps from Vietnam before. I see he's offering calf leather for $42. I'm not sure the Irish handmade strap would be much more than that actually (at least this time round). edit: Like you I had assumed that "made in Ireland" would cost €70-80ish - but pleasantly surprised to see that's not the case.

Like I said it's not about profits for me - just want to deliver a good product and fly the flag for Ireland (and especially if I can support a local leather goods manufacturer).

The only concern I have is that even say (for example!) a 40-50 euro strap would be too expensive for the crowd of people who are interested in a bargain price micro-rotor. Am I right in thinking that the sort of person who wants to buy a 379 euro watch would probably baulk at a 50 euro strap :/ (even though that would be close to cost price for me).

Some interesting business decisions to be made for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Think if you could get the Irish strap and watch as close to the 400 euro it would be a goer. Depending on the interest from people on here if some wanted the Irish strap would you be able to get some made or would you have to go for bulk buy 300 or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Am I right in thinking that the sort of person who wants to buy a 379 euro watch would probably baulk at a 50 euro strap :/ (even though that would be close to cost price for me).

Yeah, I think the ratio seems a bit off in general.

In this case, I know you're doing this at cost, but personally I never like to pay a premium for a strap from the manufacturer (not singling out Omega's price for a NATO, but c'mon), and instead look at something from Martu straps, Hirsch etc instead.

Also, the high cost here seems to be because there is no real industry for it here rather than us having a really good one that commands a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Personally I couldn't care less where the strap was made. I'd take the cheaper option. I've no idea of prices, but I remember looking at maddog straps, hand made in Austria. Nice but €200. I wouldn't pay that unless the watch itself was about €1500

But I'm not an Irish American whos great great granny was Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't think I'd bother with the strap, initially anyway.

Have you a few photos of the current chosen strap that will come with the watch? :)

This is it wrote: »
    I don't think I'd bother with the strap, initially anyway.

Have you a few photos of the current chosen strap that will come with the watch? :)

Work has been crazy this last while - sorry only got to your request now.

Per the graphic the current Chinese strap will be leather and black - here's picture of it (it is fine to wear - much better than "cardboard" "leather" you get on the really cheap Chinese watches, but equally it's clearly not a €90 strap either).

I've attached two pictures of the current strap.

Eagle eyed viewers will see the "test model 1.00" wording too on the prototype ;)

A very, very productive meeting with the Irish manufacturer over the weekend. We've talked a lot of shop and it was a pretty fascinating learning about leather and how someone else started their own businessl

Tentatively (lawyers never like to get tied down to a statement :D ) €399 - you get a Horween Irish made strap on the watch - I think that's a great deal however you look at it (and €349, €369 for early birds):

1. for the knowledgable strap fans - Horween leather is something I heard about even as a non-strap enthusiast;
    2. for the "love me I'm Irish" fans - it's a handmade Irish leather strap;
    3. for the bargain hunters - it's a Horween leather, handmade strap that only added 20 onto the final price - much cheaper than other market prices I believe; and
    4. for me - it's supporting an Irish company - hopefully rising tides and all that for the future.

• Advertisement

TF...
    You are killing me with all this great value :P
    Ya bollox!

Advertisement