Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:) love the Yema. That particularly French design language is largely gone these days, but in the same way French cars could be quirky as feck, so was much of their watch design.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

How does the Yema work? I've never seen anything like it. So the time is five past 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Or possibly 3 stone and 5 ounces (just kidding, it's very cool!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

redlead wrote: »
    How does the Yema work? I've never seen anything like it. So the time is five past 3?

3:10 to Yema surely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That's correct. The hours move on one yellow dial while the minutes move on another. The red 'hands' never move.

• Advertisement

A few changed recently, a few on the chopping block and a few in my sights. Maybe too many watches at the moment, dont get to wear my beauties as much as I should, I think 6 is the perfect number for me.

20200609-192911.jpg
    upload pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That seamaster is bullying the sub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Beautiful collection fitz ,Good health to enjoy and appreciate.

I’m still at phase 1 / entering phase 2 so look forward to one day enjoying pieces like those .I know at the moment though for me , if that was my collection it would be the Seiko’s getting the most wear . I’m just too rough on watches to be able to wear wrist art like those

That JLC really is a thing of beauty, absolutely stunning!

Is the Raymond Weil a Ladies watch or just a very early model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

A few changed recently, a few on the chopping block and a few in my sights. Maybe too many watches at the moment, dont get to wear my beauties as much as I should, I think 6 is the perfect number for me.

https://i.ibb.co/ZcR4HC6/20200609-192911.jpg
    upload pic

That’s serious, some lovely choices there.

If you had to get to 6 pieces right now what would you keep?

• Advertisement

That JLC really is a thing of beauty, absolutely stunning!

Is the Raymond Weil a Ladies watch or just a very early model?

The RW is a 1990 mens model, smaller times. 16th birthday present from my folks.

I think the save the ocean turtle is going to go and the seamaster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Amazing collection Fitzy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The RW is a 1990 mens model, smaller times. 16th birthday present from my folks.

I think the save the ocean turtle is going to go and the seamaster...

Funny, but the turtle is the one that catches my eye in the pic. Great collection, enjoy them and thanks for sharing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

That's correct. The hours move on one yellow dial while the minutes move on another. The red 'hands' never move.

interesting that it goes anticlockwise

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Fitzgeme: That Daytona is the only Rolex line that does anything for me. A steel Cosmograph, possibly with a ceramic bezel, would be the only Rolex I'd actually aspire to.

Nice collection.

Might as well post in here now I have a watch winding box and no fewer than 5 watches :p

520963.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Is the Rolex socially distancing or being a snob?

Haha, probably a snob :D

Placement was fairly random, with the 3 autos on the winders and the quartz and manual down below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

We have one watch in common, the MM hommage, what happened the tissel 905ex?

Actually that would be a good thread, boardsies with the most common watches, a bacon number type thing.
    You and I are,1.

njburke wrote: »
    We have one watch in common, the MM hommage,

Except mine is not an homage :p
    what happened the tissel 905ex?

Sold it and got a real Rolex Explorer 214270, which I soon traded in for the Milgauss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Two things strike me about those pics. Firstly, the Milguass - I think I still want one even though it would be too big for me. Work will have me even nearer to you then the office is so I might pop over to you in the next couple of weeks to confirm my suspicion.

Secondly, how the **** do you still have that Poljot? I'm amazed no one bought it when you were trying to sell it (unless I'm misremembering)

Feel free to come try on the Milgauss. It's by no means a big wearing watch. I'm warning you though, you might like it a bit too much :p

The first Rolex I ever tried on was fitzgeme's Milgauss. Not the one I own now (although that was indeed the first one he owned), but the one he currently owns. The instant feeling of class from the Rolex watches is not something I have experienced with any other watch, my Omegas Seamaster and Speedy moonwatch included.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Secondly, how the **** do you still have that Poljot? I'm amazed no one bought it when you were trying to sell it (unless I'm misremembering)

Yeah it's a beauty alright. They do come up from time to time from eBay sellers from the Ukraine typically, but with the not so desirable "Cardinal" badge, I believe they were used for export outside of the USSR. And the sellers typically look for around the €110 mark plus shipping and plus VAT and customs duty if you get caught. So I thought my asking price of €130 was pretty reasonable and as always it includes adverts tax, so cheaper for anyone in here :)

Linky

@unkel, oops thought you had a merkur at one point.

Anyway, just won an auction this morning, and have a Doxa Sub300T professional on its way to me. Its been niggling at me for a while, I bought a speed master reduced which was too small for me so flipped and put the money to one side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The milgauss wears nicely, though if I remember correctly, it sits relatively high. And a bit of weight to it too.

@unkel, oops thought you had a merkur at one point.

You thought right! Inspired by yourself I did buy one, it was advertised as being blue, but it was black so I sold it on quickly. Good quality homage though!

And it fulfilled its purpose: for me to get a feel of what the real thing would look like on my wrist. Have done that before and will do it again. Years ago with a Parnis Panerai homage (on the fence), then the Merkur (Tuna homage) - yay, the Tisel (Explore homage) - yay and a Parnis Batman homage - nay

And now I have your attention, I was only trying to find one of your older posts with a picture of a classy mesh bracelet. Couldn't find it. You remember what it was?

Anyway, just won an auction this morning, and have a Doxa Sub300T professional on its way to me.

I like that! Until I looked at the prices on eBay :eek:

Maybe I'll try some sort of orange Seiko first :D

The doxa or a brick is in the post.

I think what you are looking for is the uncle seiko razor wire.
    Its unusual, but extremely comfortable to wear. Sizing is tricky as you've to interleave the micro links within a link on its pin, a tweezers job but doable.

Is this an older MM in the pic below ?

520985.jpeg

Edit:
    Found my pic.
    468783.jpg

A question chaps, if you will.

Is the 150m rating on these the same as other 150m ratings or is it a real, this will dive to 150m?

I just find it odd that a manufacturer would go to the bother of all that diver styling and then give it a rating of only 150m.

I was under the impression that 200m was considered the minimum for genuine pleasure diving, such as PADI or SSI, even though they generally have a limit of 30m actual depth.

• Advertisement

Which watch/brand are you asking about?
    I'ld generally only trust well established brands such as seiko or citizen on depth rating. Watches tested to ISO6425 are also good bet.
    Automatics or solar have the advantage that the factory tested seal remains intact as for longer( no need to break the tested seal to replace battery). I got 17 years on my seiko orange monster before the seal was broken to replace the movement.

Which watch/brand are you asking about?
    I'ld generally only trust well established brands such as seiko or citizen on depth rating. Watches tested to ISO6425 are also good bet.
    Automatics or solar have the advantage that the factory tested seal remains intact as for longer( no need to break the tested seal to replace battery). I got 17 years on my seiko orange monster before the seal was broken to replace the movement.

Not pointing the finger at any particular manufacturer, but I have seen many robust diver-style designs that have water resistance ratings of 100 or 150m.

It just seems incongruous that they would go so far with the aesthetics of the type and then not actually make them functional as such.

I'd go along the same lines as njburke. If a Seiko has a 150m water resistance, I would put my house on it that it would last a lifetime doing normal scuba diving. Seiko are actually renowned for being ultra conservative with their ratings. If a Pagani Design submariner "homage" sh1tter has 150m water resistance I wouldn't want to be going for a swim in it.

There are many watches that look like a diving watch, are sold as diving watch but are not diving watches.The Merkur above is a good example.
    I used to make underwater diving equipment so I have some knowledge on testing in particular.
    The CNC tools that produced the merkur will knock out any watch case you can think of. I can't see the detail of the stem seal in particular. Pressure testing each watch validates the design and the article under test, any failures belong to the manufacturer.
    If you've got design and quality right, you'll see few failures.
    I once had a production run where an undersized O ring got into production, still gives me the shivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Not pointing the finger at any particular manufacturer, but I have seen many robust diver-style designs that have water resistance ratings of 100 or 150m.

It just seems incongruous that they would go so far with the aesthetics of the type and then not actually make them functional as such.

Japan adopted the ISO standards for water resistant (ISO2281) and divers (ISO6425) watches as Japanese Industrial Standards (https://www.jcwa.or.jp/en/time/qa/qa08.html) so the ratings on Japanese brand watches are reliable. To know exactly what a Seiko rated at 150m means you also need to know whether the watch is marked as "Diver's" or "Water Resistant" on the dial or caseback. "Diver's 150m" means the watch can resist water ingress for 2 hrs at a depth of 1.25 * 150 = 187.5 m, so more than good enough for recreational scuba diving. I think 100m is the minimum rating for a diver's watch in the JIS.

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe I'll try some sort of orange Seiko first :D

Orange Seiko incoming!

And do you all need to ask which one, really? Why a turtle of course :D

I'm down to 4 watches, 2 of which are for sale. So the turtle would make 5 - of which 3 are Seikos :eek:

• Advertisement

A watch box arrived from ebay this morning for15€, figured I'd get something to keep them tidy at least. Also the burglar doesn't have to root around too much to find them.

I've been collecting for about two years, I had 3 or so and then banged up the everyday watch, a seiko orange monster so that spurred me to get a replacement. I've been snacking on the affordables ever since.

Most of these are in the 100 to 300 euro range. The Doxa and breitling a bit more. The Scubapro is actually a dive computer, retailed at £1200 when it was new. Some are second hand some are new, micro brands and vintage.

The box is holds 20 and I still have some that won't fit inside. The box also made me realise I've got one missing in action , a Casio T200. I last remember taking that off my wrist when I collected the Accutron from the parcel motel, my guess is its in the car somewhere.
    Also not shown is whats on my wrist, my latest acquisition a Casio GBX100.
    And there are two more to come in a Lip Super Nautic and a Seiko Advan (a chunk of 70s funk).

524689.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The bulova in the top right looks a lovely piece!
    Great collection NJ.

I might put that and the S100 on the chopping block. I think the trick in the long run is to get by with a smaller box. I could have bought a 24 watch box, but went with the 20 slot box. I.ve a bit of everthing in there, Wibbs focuses on WW2 axis timepieces which is probably a good idea, pick a genre or theme and stay within that. I might get a HAQ dress watch like the SBGV225 Grand Seiko, but I've to lay off the affordables for a while, or flog some of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs focuses on WW2 axis timepieces which is probably a good idea, pick a genre or theme and stay within that.
    Oh how I wish my focus was so narrow... :eek::o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh how I wish my focus was so narrow... :eek::o:D

I know you have the Lip Nautic and the ultronic diver, they got my attention. How big is your watch box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

A watch box arrived from ebay this morning for15€, figured I'd get something to keep them tidy at least. Also the burglar doesn't have to root around too much to find them.

I've been collecting for about two years, I had 3 or so and then banged up the everyday watch, a seiko orange monster so that spurred me to get a replacement. I've been snacking on the affordables ever since.

Most of these are in the 100 to 300 euro range. The Doxa and breitling a bit more. The Scubapro is actually a dive computer, retailed at £1200 when it was new. Some are second hand some are new, micro brands and vintage.

The box is holds 20 and I still have some that won't fit inside. The box also made me realise I've got one missing in action , a Casio T200. I last remember taking that off my wrist when I collected the Accutron from the parcel motel, my guess is its in the car somewhere.
    Also not shown is whats on my wrist, my latest acquisition a Casio GBX100.
    And there are two more to come in a Lip Super Nautic and a Seiko Advan (a chunk of 70s funk).

I have the twins to two of your watches and there is a third you have that's at the top of my list to get next.

saccades wrote: »
    I have the twins to two of your watches and there is a third you have that's at the top of my list to get next.

It's a random enough assemblage, each is a little different.
    What have we in common so? And what's on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Lovely collection nj. Have an orange dial on my radar. Thinking of going for a
    38mm islander when funds allow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Great collection nj,thanks for sharing.Love seeing another Bell-Matic on here,fantastic watches,top of the line back then,not cheap either,will always have one in my collection.

08lEs4n.png

Have been reflecting on my own little collection lately,still in shock finding the Dolphin Bell.Never imagined I would add another Bell to the collection,let alone a Dolphin! Not one for selling as I get too attached to them so have to be careful in where I go next,so many great watches in the Seiko line alone.

With the way the prices are going,combined with the fakes/frankens on the rise, finding posts of long time collectors with years of knowledge finding it harder to spot the fakes and the good examples drying up,just really grateful for what I have.

Speaking of Bell-Matics,while on the hunt for the bracelet,got in touch with Erik Strickland on Instagram [Link],the owner of the only Dolphin I could find on a bracelet.Found a video of his amazing collection,8 Boxes big!! ended up watching it from start to finish,I look up to collectors like this,knowing the history behind each watch.

Dolphin Bell @ 1:01:33,but highly recommend watching the whole video.

A recent addition to his collection posted on his Instagram not featured in the video :cool:

kIbbDCZ.jpg

I know you have the Lip Nautic and the ultronic diver, they got my attention. How big is your watch box?
    Oh I don't have one. Any burglars will have to go digging. :D I've around 20 watches; Trench/early wristwatches, early electronic and quartz, a couple of digitals, some military stuff, Russian watches and a couple of others. And two pocket watches.
    A recent addition to his collection posted on his Instagram not featured in the video :cool:
    I'm wearing my one this very day. :)

It's a random enough assemblage, each is a little different.
    What have we in common so? And what's on the list.

The merkur and the bellmatic are in common and I'm definitely lusting after an orange monster.

I was 50:50 between that and the Stargate back in the day and the Stargate won but the monster is on the list after I get two mods and a refurb sorted.

I do like the steelux bracelet on your bellmatic, I've a leather strap as the bracelet mine arrived with is period Seiko but not great.

Yeah, the coffin link bracelet on the bellmatic is similar to the bracelet on the Bulova snorkel. I lucked out with the size of the bracelet on the bell, fitted like a glove. The merkur is nice apart from the M at the second hand counter balance, it screams lollipop but no, ego got the best of him there.
    Monster is the old timer in the bunch, orange dial is beginning to fade.

Yeah, the coffin link bracelet on the bellmatic is similar to the bracelet on the Bulova snorkel. I lucked out with the size of the bracelet on the bell, fitted like a glove. The merkur is nice apart from the M at the second hand counter balance, it screams lollipop but no, ego got the best of him there.
    Monster is the old timer in the bunch, orange dial is beginning to fade.

Patina I believe it is called... ;)

Possibly, or it's gaining something with age, the lacquer is almost all gone from the bezel. I bought a new old stock gen one, and compared the two. I have post here somewhere of the two side by side. I kept the old one and sold on the new one. They look better weathered.

AF1QipPi4pZyG-4Ucm6sPF_VXYLhLt8sJ4SAqo0h8gDc=s512-p-qv=pvi8mnthss0g128j8lar2pg3noig9ju57,m=e6371e4bbe745f41c7d2fd0560bad135,x=,t=25-iv4102?key=OWdXdFR0Z1hPNmdoRUE1Q0ZuZU1MaVk2Y1BldWRR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

As I'm in a watch buying hiatus it's probably time to post some pics of the collection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement