Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 19:10   #61
Bannasidhe
Moderation is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
There's people who are also of Jewish descent whose ancestors were forced to convert due to Cromwell ect.
...Um... not a fan of Cromwell or anything but it was during his 'reign' that Jews were officially allowed back into the UK in 1656. They had been banned in 1290 by Edward I. There were still some Jews in the UK but they pretended to be 'Spanish'.
There is zero evidence Cromwell forced them to convert to anything. Like many Protestants of the time he believed the Jews needed to convert in order for the Second Coming of Jesus but there is no evidence any were forced to convert - quite the opposite, synagogue's were allowed to operate openly and Jewish cemeteries were also opened.

Perhaps you are mixing him up with Ferdinand and Isabella?
I mean Cromwell did enough shyte without blaming him for things he never did.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 19:11   #62
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaghs View Post
Most fled the programs in the Russian Empire in the late 19th century. Especially from the Baltic area.
Census data supports that very clearly.

In 1871 there were 300 people identifying as Jews in the area now comprising the Irish republic.

1n 1901 there were 3,000--a tenfold increase!!

There were two great migrations in Europe in the second half of the 19th century. One was the exodus (I know, but it fits) of Jews from the Russian Empire fleeing Czarist persecutions. They were mainly to be found in the Pale of Settlement, which included what are now the Baltic republics, where Jews were permitted to live.

They fled in droves because of the miserable treatment and poverty to which they were subjected. It's where most of today's Irish Jew originated from, but then the same could be said of most of the Jews currently living in Britain, France and especially America.

The other great migration of course was the clearing out of Ireland whose population HALVED in the second half of the 19th century. We went mainly to Britain, America and Australia.

The Irish Jewish community is small but highly prodigious. It never numbered more than 4,000 people in the 20th century but in that time produced:
Two Lord Mayors of Dublin (Bobby and Ben Briscoe)
One Lord Mayor of Cork (Gerald Goldberg)
Four TDs (The Briscoes, Mervyn Taylor and Alan Shatter, representing respectively FF, Labour and FG)
At least one international soccer player (Louis Bookman)
At least one international rugby player (Bethel Solomon)
Several chairmen of the Dublin stock exchange (most of them called Abrahamson)
Numerous contributors to the arts, (Stella Steyn, David Marcus, among others)
Many prominent lawyers (well duh) including War of Independence hero Michael Noyk
And of course, a president of Israel. (Chaim Herzog)

Not bad for a community of 4,000.
11-07-2019, 19:11   #63
Woke Hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
That's probably the un-funniest joke I've seen on this website in a long time, and I'm the author of a fair few in that category myself.
Visitors of this website love regurgitating old jokes and ideologies. That poster in particular could do with visiting some of the sites where the Nazis committed their atrocities. It might teach him not to be so flippant.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 19:12   #64
Snickers Man

And yes, I've met one or two here. Most of them in Trinity College. Good guys, for the most part. Same as anyone else, really.
11-07-2019, 19:17   #65
Matt Barrett

My favourite Jewish joke is, (fingers off the trigger Mods!) from Groucho Marx.

He was trying to get into a pool at a country club and was told there were no Jews allowed. He said, "My wife is only half Jewish, can she go in up to her waist?"
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 19:19   #66
Buford T. Justice VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
Your agenda is becoming clear. 3/10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
You're a wind-up merchant. Nothing more. It only takes a cursory look at your posting history to underline that.
Mod note: There's no compunction on you to post in the thread, you know? Even better, why don't you stop posting on this thread altogether.

Buford T. Justice
11-07-2019, 19:20   #67
jmayo

Yes.
Worked with one and shared office in college with one.
The latter went to Israel, but managed to p**s them off so much they sent him packing back home.

And you know what I might have interacted with a lot more.
Unless one wears their religion on their sleeve it is kinda hard to know what someone is or what someone believes in

Sadly never met any Irish or even British Jewish ladies that hold a candle to Israelis.
Did some flying in New Zealand with nice Israeli lady.
She found the Scots Presbyterian Kiwis, including her boyfriend's family, a bit dour.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 19:21   #68
JupiterKid

I was pals with a Jewish girl in college and she was great fun but we lost touch after we graduated. I also worked with a very morose Irish-Jewish guy for one summer - he could be really nice at times, very withdrawn other times and drank like a fish at the after work socials.

That's about it. From what I've heard the tiny Irish Jewish community have lost numbers due to intermarriage with non Jewish Irish and emigration to Israel.

As a community, they have punched way way above their weight.
11-07-2019, 19:21   #69
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post

I don't think Corbyn is pushing an anti Semitic message, but he's not doing enough to clamp down on those who are, and his friendship with hardline islamists isn't helping the situation.
Your summary of the situation might be too kind. Corbyn has praised a book about Jews being in charge of international finance as "brilliant".

Maybe Corbyn didn't really read the book whose foreword he wrote, but when you add it to all of the other genuine concerns about his stance on anti-semitism, there are legitimate concerns about him.

This is a bigger issue in the UK than it is in Ireland, because we have almost no Jewish population.

But the only Jewish people I know live in London, this is a real issue for them and their families. It's not nice to reflect on the fact that your next leader might object to your existence. I'm on the left, maybe further to the left than Corbyn says he is, but even I couldn't tolerate him.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 19:24   #70
xiba vajo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
One of the Jewish groups said today that Corbyn is the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII.
and another jewish group backs him, altough they themselves have been accused of being antisemetic for just raising questions...

jewishvoiceforlabour.org. uk/article/questions-for-the-jewish-labour-movement/
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 19:29   #71
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Your summary of the situation might be too kind. Corbyn has praised a book about Jews being in charge of international finance as "brilliant".

Maybe Corbyn didn't really read the book whose foreword he wrote, but when you add it to all of the other genuine concerns about his stance on anti-semitism, there are legitimate concerns about him.

This is a bigger issue in the UK than it is in Ireland, because we have almost no Jewish population.

But the only Jewish people I know live in London, this is a real issue for them and their families. It's not nice to reflect on the fact that your next leader might object to your existence. I'm on the left, maybe further to the left than Corbyn says he is, but even I couldn't tolerate him.
Yet there's no evidence Corbyn is antisemetic, certainly not enough to cause legitimate fear should he become Prime Minister. In fact we've had decades of bigoted Tories and things haven't gone too far off track until pretty recently and from the far right not left.
There is a smear campaign though. Case in point, a thread on the Irish Jewish community warning us about Jeremy Corbyn.
(3) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 19:30   #72
Tony EH

Quote:
Hobson's book on Imperialism WASN'T actually about that and it's been generally considered a "brilliant" book as a study tool for the times it was written in. In 1902, you'd be hard pressed to find many people who didn't have such views. Books can offer "brilliant" insights into history, without being totally agreeable.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 19:31   #73
Buford T. Justice VI

I've met two in Ireland, a German exchange student who turned out to be great craic after I thought her to be very humourless for the first 6 months we were in the same year. Lost touch a year or two after she went back home.

The other was a friend of a relation we met at a house party a good while back. He had a very dry sense of humour and we had great hopballs off each other all night. He got married in London a while after and moved over as the community seems too small to be self sustainable now.

My Uncle would know quite a few in Dublin as he used do a lot on business with Israel and they seem a great people for networking. It's a great pity the community seems to be dying out now, there are a great number of interesting characters here down the years.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 19:33   #74
Tony EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
One of the Jewish groups said today that Corbyn is the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII.

If an 0.08% level of anti Semitic accusation is "the greatest enabler of anti semitism, or words to that effect, since WWII", then my decades of study into WWII have all been for naught.

I find it amazing how this nonsense finds legs so quickly.
11-07-2019, 19:37   #75
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
Yet there's no evidence Corbyn is antisemetic,
Even Mr Hitler didn't come out and say "Lads, I'm an anti-semite". We kind of gathered it from inference.

There is no way that Corbyn is anywhere near as close to being an anti-Semite of that nature. I wouldn't suggest that for a moment. But he has endorsed some really anti-semitic commentary, and he has failed to do much (anything?) about the fact that certain people are being drawn to the Labour Party as an outlet for their anti-semitism. Even senior figures in Labour accept that this is happening.

I'm saying that we in Ireland, even those of us who are dissatisfied with the Left, or who want something more radical, ought to be wary of him.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion