Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you expect a christmas bonus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

How substantial

A box of biscuits .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I run a small business, and employ 11 people. No way in hell I'd be paying any of them a Christmas bonus. They work for their pay, and that's more than enough for most of them. Never underestimate how lazy and incompetent the average human can be.

Should you not be supervising them now , if you cant trust them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

E500 One for All voucher and 10% bonus that's paid monthly for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmightycon

It would depend on the industry norms, but in general - no employer should have an obligation to give a bonus and no employee should feel entitled to one. A bonus should be just that a bonus, a reward of monetary value that is given for good performance or going beyond the call of duty, and not a reward for having being an employee of a company on a certain day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The dole get one, so yes, I think people who are actually working should get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The lads who work for me are very much manual labour grunts. The majority of them are Eastern European, as thick as two short planks, and have serious issues with alcohol consumption. They load heavy things into vans, unload them, and sometimes they will install these heavy things (commercial kitchen equipment). I could replace any of them in the morning, and not skip a heartbeat. They certainly don't deserve any sort of bonus. They don't offer any sort of differentiating skill that makes them worthy of a bonus. If they don't like that, then they can go and find another job. I'm doing most of them a favour by giving them a job in the first place. It's a small business I'm running, not bloody Goldman Sachs.
    That's the attitude I absolutely despise. It costs nothing to treat people with respect and it has nothing to do with lack of Christmas bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's the attitude I absolutely despise. It costs nothing to treat people with respect and it has nothing to do with lack of Christmas bonus.

They are looking for a reaction maybe, either way looking for a reaction or serious its odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What are you on about? I employ them, pay them a relatively decent wage considering the unskilled nature of what they do, don't overwork them, and turn a blind eye to the fact that some of them are barely functioning alcoholics. What would you suggest I should do above and beyond that??? It's not a charity I'm running. I decide to not pay a bonus and keep the money for my annual Cheltenham blowout. The piper gets to call the tune!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not even €50 if you pay BIK on it!

Up to €500 is BIK free when in the form of a gift and not extra wages/cash bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

What are you on about? I employ them, pay them a relatively decent wage considering the unskilled nature of what they do, don't overwork them, and turn a blind eye to the fact that some of them are barely functioning alcoholics. What would you suggest I should do above and beyond that??? It's not a charity I'm running. I decide to not pay a bonus and keep the money for my annual Cheltenham blowout. The piper gets to call the tune!

Well it costs nothing to treat people with a shred of dignity and respect, I'm a people manager myself for a large company and I wouldn't dream of speaking of my staff in a disrespectful and down right arrogant manner you do.

Maybe the quality of their work reflects their management? Or maybe you don't employ quality people in the first place to save a few quid and run a mediocre operation.

• Advertisement

Never got a Christmas but the way the salaries are calculated we get a very small bit extra in December salary its not much and its not a bonus but still nice to have. My husband place has a free bar and dinner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Have never had a Christmas bonus in a job, and tbh, have never felt hard done by because of it. People don't seem to realise that the employer is not actually paying extra if they give a 'bonus' - they're just dividing up your annual salary a different way.

Say for example you get paid monthly and you're given what people like to think of as an extra month's pay as a Christmas bonus. What's really happening is that your annual salary is being divided into 13 months instead of 12. So, for the sake of handy figures, say your annual gross salary is €52,000. Monthly gross salary should be 52/12 = €4,333.33

But doing it the Christmas 'bonus' way, you just get 52/13 = €4,000 gross for 11 months of the year, and then €8,000 in December.

Personally I prefer to get paid properly and do my own budgeting for the year, instead of having what's effectively a Christmas savings scheme 'penny bank' type of thing forced on me by the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

In my very first job as a teenager / early 20s we got a voucher for the sister hotel across the town for dinner for 2.
    So in most cases the owners benefited as you would end up having a few drinks / bottle of wine / chose something with a supplement on it.

I ended up moving jobs to the sister hotel the year the recession started so the bonus was reduced to a €20 voucher for the other hotel.
    Most people didnt even use it then as again you would end up bringing someone with you and spending more...
    Anyone that was working Christmas Eve could either get their nails done or have carvery comp

I had a Christmas job in a supermarket after that and all regular staff got a voucher for said supermarket. It covered their Christmas shop so they were happy with that.
    The Christmas staff didnt get anything but most of us were there for 6 weeks so fair enough.
    The regular staff were also rostered off for Christmas Eve and they didnt have to use Annual Leave for this.

I moved to Dublin after that and worked for a wonderful company for 4 years where they really looked after their staff. They gave whatever the tax limit was for one for all vouchers - I think it was €250 the first few years and then increased to €500?
    They also gave extra payment in Christmas wages. The amount was linked to your salary and length of service.

Where I am now we dont get anything.
    No Christmas party, no lunches and no bonus.
    We have a new manager in our regional office this year who has decided we are doing secret santa.
    We will be getting lunch into the office - paid for ourselves and ate at our desks as there is no one to cover the phones :rolleyes:

Actually I think it's absolutely outrageous that you are ignoring safety of you employees by ridiculous attitude to alcohol. I don't care about bonus, as a small business that got hit badly by recession and margins can still be tight we don't pay bonuses. (We do give out vouchers.) However I always believed in treating people that work for us with respect and not like we are doing them a favour allowing them to work for us.

I had very minor dealing with a small company run by a father and son the employees were all eastern European skilled work, the father was a gentleman what you would describe as the realms of old decency the son was the complete opposite and the way the talked to his employees was a disgrace so the type does exist are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I run a small business, and employ 11 people. No way in hell I'd be paying any of them a Christmas bonus. They work for their pay, and that's more than enough for most of them. Never underestimate how lazy and incompetent the average human can be.

I'm sure you run an amazing business, but I bet you could run it a lot better :D
    Duffryman wrote: »
    Have never had a Christmas bonus in a job, and tbh, have never felt hard done by because of it. People don't seem to realise that the employer is not actually paying extra if they give a 'bonus' - they're just dividing up your annual salary a different way.

Say for example you get paid monthly and you're given what people like to think of as an extra month's pay as a Christmas bonus. What's really happening is that your annual salary is being divided into 13 months instead of 12. So, for the sake of handy figures, say your annual gross salary is €52,000. Monthly gross salary should be 52/12 = €4,333.33

But doing it the Christmas 'bonus' way, you just get 52/13 = €4,000 gross for 11 months of the year, and then €8,000 in December.

Personally I prefer to get paid properly and do my own budgeting for the year, instead of having what's effectively a Christmas savings scheme 'penny bank' type of thing forced on me by the employer.

ehhh no.

that's not how Christmas bonuses work

a Christmas bonus is a thank you. something nice to offer your staff at Christmas to show your appreciation for their work over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mariaalice wrote: »
    I had very minor dealing with a small company run by a father and son the employees were all eastern European skilled work, the father was a gentleman what you would describe as the realms of old decency the son was the complete opposite and the way the talked to his employees was a disgrace so the type does exist are out there.

me wonders did Johnny Flash take over his business from his dad :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    me wonders did Johnny Flash take over his business from his dad :D

its a wind up, but that dose not mean the type does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

troyzer wrote: »
    I got £1,000 from my last job for Christmas. Not bad seeing as how I was only there for three months.
    Where do you work and are they hiring?

mariaalice wrote: »
    its a wind up, but that dose not mean the type does not exist.

Oh it does and it can be just as well against Irish employees not just foreigners. We are in industry where everybody knows everybody and we hear quite a bit of gossip about other businesses. Some get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I work for a large financial services company and there are no bonus's this time of the year. We usually see ours in February or March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Actually I think it's absolutely outrageous that you are ignoring safety of you employees by ridiculous attitude to alcohol. I don't care about bonus, as a small business that got hit badly by recession and margins can still be tight we don't pay bonuses. (We do give out vouchers.) However I always believed in treating people that work for us with respect and not like we are doing them a favour allowing them to work for us.

the irony that this post was thanked by a user with the name 'bigbagofcans' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I get just short of 1000 quid pf a bonus. It just offsets the tax from my wages really tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

the irony that this post was thanked by a user with the name 'bigbagofcans' :pac:

I snorted at that comment :D

Despite my love of cans, I reserve them for weekend fun only. Not for work!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have worked in Sales for most of my career and typically people who work in Sales don't get bonus's as we earn commission. In my current company we get our commission paid twice a year. In June and December so I have a fat paycheck on my way this week :)

The down side is it's nearly 7 week stretch until the next one !!! Ekkk!

It some of my older jobs I used to get drink or Bonus Bonds/One4All cards as well. If a business is doing well then the staff should be rewarded in some way as a thank you for their contribution. Ideally I think it should be in the form of a profit sharing arrangement year round instead of a "bonus" that might be paid. I like the idea someone mentioned earlier of 10% of the monthly profits being shared with all the staff, that is a very progressive company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

gandalf wrote: »
    I like the idea someone mentioned earlier of 10% of the monthly profits being shared with all the staff, that is a very progressive company.

Yep, it may not seem like much but it's 10% shared between 10 employees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I get a €500 euro fuel voucher and 2K on top of my wages in week 52 which gets taxed to fook so you end up with feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'd never expect one but if i did it would be anywhere from €0 to €8000.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Where I work all full time get an extra weeks wages. They break their bollox for us this time of the year and do so knowing they'll get a nice little bump for Xmas.

No other bonus in the year. Time of the year they need it most so they are most grateful.

I worked in another company before we got 2 cases of beer, 12 bottles of wine and 6 bottles of spirits.

I don't think its too much to send your staff home with a bit extra for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'd never expect a bonus in work but I guess it can really depend on the type of industry you're in and who employs you.

Everyone in my office are happy to get a couple of quid behind the a bar for food and drinks as it is!

Advertisement