Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you expect a christmas bonus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Even when I was a teenager working as a petrol pump boy the owner used to throw me an extra 100 cash at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Don't most of the broadly Germanic/Nordic states in Europe (Germany, Austria, Netherlands, the Nordics etc) pay 13 or 14 month salaries? Much better system. We're too attached to the British/ US system here and the whole serf mentality/being in servitude and gracious to your employer for throwing you the odd scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm a civil servant so I currently get nothing.

However I previously worked in Ikea who are fantastic to their staff at christmas - free party, christmas present, christmas lunch and for all the years I was there they gave a bonus in October/November which I think was a months basic wage and was determined by company performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

"Should you expect a christmas bonus?"

yes but only if the company has been profitable and has spare funds at the end of the year to give out and then the bonus is directly proportional to how well you performed for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Previously worked for Dunnes Stores and they gave 1.5 weeks wages in vouchers. Paid for the Christmas dinner every year so that was great.

None of my posts since have given a bonus.

Are employers able to rite off bonuses paid as vouchers against tax liability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lot of idealistic nonsense being spouted here. Thousands of employers, some much larger than me, don't pay a bonus. I employ unskilled workers who have come to Ireland to make a living. I pay them a decent wage for the role they carry out (you don't need a degree to operate a drill or hand truck). That's respectful. Some of them are working with me for years now, so I'm not some sort of tyrant. I'm just pointing out that the work is unskilled, the lads are all easily replaceable, and they are getting paid enough for what they do.

What would you want me to do? Get down on my hands and knees and thank my lucky stars for having such wonderful employees? I'm the one who runs the business, takes the financial risks, and spots new revenue streams. And I don't pay a bonus, because I don't need to, they don't expect one, and I'd rather reward myself for having traded through a recession and provided people with a living when hundreds of thousands were on the Dole.

Can’t help but get the feeling I’m dealing with posters who are like Rick or Neil from the Young Ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I run a small business, and employ 11 people. No way in hell I'd be paying any of them a Christmas bonus. They work for their pay, and that's more than enough for most of them. Never underestimate how lazy and incompetent the average human can be.

Sack the lad who hired these incompetent average people. He is running a business and appears to be incapable of due diligence. :pac:

Many people have been 'jobseeking' very hard all year and they deserve double 'pay' at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I'd never expect a bonus in work but I guess it can really depend on the type of industry you're in and who employs you.

Everyone in my office are happy to get a couple of quid behind the a bar for food and drinks as it is!

Didnt get that either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Guffy wrote: »

Are employers able to write off bonuses paid as vouchers against tax liability?

I believe so - it is an expense to the business, just like wages are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seamus wrote: »
    I've never received a Xmas bonus in any company I've worked for.

seriously?

and who do you work for scrooge & co?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Guffy wrote: »
    Previously worked for Dunnes Stores and they gave 1.5 weeks wages in vouchers. Paid for the Christmas dinner every year so that was great.

None of my posts since have given a bonus.

Are employers able to rite off bonuses paid as vouchers against tax liability?

Don't know about writing off but they can give up to €500 non cash bonus tax free, so vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Well it costs nothing to treat people with a shred of dignity and respect, I'm a people manager myself for a large company and I wouldn't dream of speaking of my staff in a disrespectful and down right arrogant manner you do.

Maybe the quality of their work reflects their management? Or maybe you don't employ quality people in the first place to save a few quid and run a mediocre operation.

Totally agree.

He hires poor staff for probably **** pay and then complains when his customers don't have a good experience.

Hire good staff for a good wage and see the business grow due to your customers having a good experience and recommending him and less cost associated with fixing ****ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lot of idealistic nonsense being spouted here. Thousands of employers, some much larger than me, don't pay a bonus. I employ unskilled workers who have come to Ireland to make a living. I pay them a decent wage for the role they carry out (you don't need a degree to operate a drill or hand truck). That's respectful. Some of them are working with me for years now, so I'm not some sort of tyrant. I'm just pointing out that the work is unskilled, the lads are all easily replaceable, and they are getting paid enough for what they do.

What would you want me to do? Get down on my hands and knees and thank my lucky stars for having such wonderful employees? I'm the one who runs the business, takes the financial risks, and spots new revenue streams. And I don't pay a bonus, because I don't need to, they don't expect one, and I'd rather reward myself for having traded through a recession and provided people with a living when hundreds of thousands were on the Dole.

Can’t help but get the feeling I’m dealing with posters who are like Rick or Neil from the Young Ones.

Gas man Johnny

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108841625&postcount=16

• Registered Users Posts: 26 edora91

The tax-free small benefit is up to €500 per year. We got ours in December as a one4all voucher, but it was performance-based and not related to Christmas. I can't recall anyone ever getting a Christmas bonus just because it's Christmas tbh. €50 is a nice gesture though. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Totally agree.

He hires poor staff for probably **** pay and then complains when his customers don't have a good experience.

Hire good staff for a good wage and see the business grow due to your customers having a good experience and recommending him and less cost associated with fixing ****ups.

Total nonsense and spoken like a man who has never ran a business.

Johnny is 100% correct. Bonuses are not required in manual labour jobs. I'm sure he brings them out for a few pints and finger food. That's more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Johnny is 100% correct. Bonuses are not required in manual labour jobs. I'm sure he brings them out for a few pints and finger food. That's more than enough.

People in manual labour jobs deserve bonuses too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Seve OB wrote: »
    ehhh no.

that's not how Christmas bonuses work

a Christmas bonus is a thank you. something nice to offer your staff at Christmas to show your appreciation for their work over the year.

Thank you for proving my point that many people don't understand how this 'bonus' lark really works.

It's just your annual salary being paid in a different way to equal weekly, fortnightly, or monthly instalments.

The company will have budgeted the relevant figure for your pay over the course of the full year. Pick any figure you like. Say €36,000. Now, would you like to get that as €3,000 per month, every month? Or as say €2,800 per month for 11 months, and then all the odd €200 amounts stacked up in December as a so-called 'bonus'? It's all the same in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Never said he had to pay a bonus.

He's the one complaining that he has a bunch of incompetent idiots for staff that he himself hired.

I'm just saying don't hire idiots and then complain about having idiots for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I’ve run a business for the past 3 years which has just turned its first yearly profit in 2018. Every staff member - FT or PT - received a voucher of some sort and size this month.

Could we afford it? No - the profit was very small. But, they were the only reason we had a profit in the first place. Only fair they receive some recognition for that. I couldn’t take a bonus for myself at all but no issue giving it up to keep a happy and motivated staff going into next year.

Ush1 wrote: »

What’s your point? I don’t treat my staff badly. I just don’t pay them a Christmas bonus. I also don’t get the point about having low quality employees. They lift stuff in and out of vans. There’s very little scope for fúck up in that. It isn’t open heart surgery we are talking about here.

This is looking like it will be my most profitable year ever, so I’m doing something right. And I only lost one member of staff. He is gone back to Latvia to build a house and start a family with his missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ush1 wrote: »

Just so you know any time Johnny is involved in a thread on Boards Pintman Paddy suddenly arrives to thank his posts and back him up and vice versa....

What’s your point? I don’t treat my staff badly. I just don’t pay them a Christmas bonus. I also don’t get the point about having low quality employees. They lift stuff in and out of vans. There’s very little scope for fúck up in that. It isn’t open heart surgery we are talking about here.

This is looking like it will be my most profitable year ever, so I’m doing something right. And I only lost one member of staff. He is gone back to Latvia to build a house and start a family with his missus.

So do you call them grunts to their faces, or is the oul spine a bit loose from all the riding?:)

Truckermal wrote: »
    Just so you know any time Johnny is involved in a thread on Boards Pintman Paddy suddenly arrives to thank his posts and back him up and vice versa....

What's your point? I look up where Johnny has posted. Generally I agree with what he says. The man has his head screwed on right.

Truckermal wrote: »

Ah it's very obvious it's a piss take, but I've not much on in work up to Xmas.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Has anyone mentioned the Dole Xmas bonus yet?

I think it's for extra booze.

Never said he had to pay a bonus.

He's the one complaining that he has a bunch of incompetent idiots for staff that he himself hired.

I'm just saying don't hire idiots and then complain about having idiots for staff.

They aren’t incompetent. They are good lads. But they are men who do unskilled work, not theoretical physicists. They do the job of lifting stuff into and out of vans very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What are you on about? I employ them, pay them a relatively decent wage considering the unskilled nature of what they do, don't overwork them, and turn a blind eye to the fact that some of them are barely functioning alcoholics. What would you suggest I should do above and beyond that??? It's not a charity I'm running. I decide to not pay a bonus and keep the money for my annual Cheltenham blowout. The piper gets to call the tune!

'I'm doing most of them a favour by giving them a job in the first place' Is disrespectful and you wouldnt even have a viable business if it wasnt for those alcoholic grunts that work for you

Got nothing during the recession, but before and since about one month salary. This year will be near 2 months salary :eek: Company doing really well, lots of new clients.

wakka12 wrote: »
    'I'm doing most of them a favour by giving them a job in the first place' Is disrespectful and you wouldnt even have a viable business if it wasnt for those alcoholic grunts that work for you

Lots of those Eastern European lads are absolute sauce mechanics. Id say he's telling the truth. Two of them arrived to my gaff to put together an IKEA built in wardrobe. Bang of vodka off them would have knocked out a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Got nothing during the recession, but before and since about one month salary. This year will be near 2 months salary :eek: Company doing really well, lots of new clients.

That's really generous.

Advertisement