Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relief milking rate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭older by the day

Mooooo wrote: »
    I agree with you on looking after a good lad, I'd be the same rarely not around on weekends and if I am it's generally only post breeding when I go. If you had 120 cows and could milk them in the same time as the 60 you have would you be giving 240 a day for just the 4 hours milking?

You can pay what ever you like, min wage if you like. Shoot me if I'm too decent, I give 120 Euro a day so what.. it's only 3 or 4 days a year. It could go worse places than to a good man. 100000 for a tractor and a farmer would break out in a sweat in case he migh give a fella an extra 20 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I am not saying There is anything wrong with what you are giving , I am saying the lads above are giving the same hourly rate? Don't understand how you are calling it mean which is why I asked you would you pay 240 if you had 120 cows that took the same length of time to milk as the 60

I am not saying There is anything wrong with what you are giving , I am saying the lads above are giving the same hourly rate? Don't understand how you are calling it mean which is why I asked you would you pay 240 if you had 120 cows that took the same length of time to milk as the 60

I seem to have struck a chord with you, you might be mean but I didn't call everyone mean. There don't seem to be a lot of millionaires around that spent there lives working for farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I seem to have struck a chord with you, you might be mean but I didn't call everyone mean. There don't seem to be a lot of millionaires around that spent there lives working for farmers

You said 25hr should be the rate. Before that I said the same how am I mean? You still haven't answered my question? You haven't struck a chord just think you're being hypcritical

You said 25hr should be the rate. Before that I said the same how am I mean? You still haven't answered my question? You haven't struck a chord just think you're being hypcritical

Your ok your not mean your lovely, mother Theresa of farming,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Jezz the poor lads I have only getting 35e per milking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Touchy, I don't really care too much on this topic to be arguing. I don't care if you pay a man one Euro an hour. I was answering the question asked at the top of the tread. And my advice is don't do releif milking unless your properly paid for it, imo 25 Euro an hour. Travel at your own expense. If you have experience and it occasional cover there are plenty that will give you that.

You say 25€ an hour.my lad getting 50 for an hour and a bit is doing okay according to your logic.you seem to me to know feck all about what u talking about.troll

boggerman1 wrote: »
    You say 25€ an hour.my lad getting 50 for an hour and a bit is doing okay according to your logic.you seem to me to know feck all about what u talking about.troll

Is troll short for something, good or bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote: »

Same as, Johnny cash is the only way he'd work. And I'm not too bothered about the cash for a few reasons. It is what it is. He doesn't feed calves and cows have to be brought in barring special circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

visatorro wrote: »

Same as, Johnny cash is the only way he'd work. And I'm not too bothered about the cash for a few reasons. It is what it is. He doesn't feed calves and cows have to be brought in barring special circumstances.

An hour and twenty minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

I would not get out of bed for less than 150 a day on the books on weekend milking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

valtra2 wrote: »
    I would not get out of bed for less than 150 a day on the books on weekend milking.

Stay in bed....on attitude alone you wouldn't have any business here on this farm...better off being straight up like that

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

alps wrote: »
    Stay in bed....on attitude alone you wouldn't have any business here on this farm...better off being straight up like that

Ah don't worry the day job pays well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod Note Ok folks less of the name calling and back seat moderating, attack the post not the poster please.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I get that in one place but the cows are brought in and locked out and I just milk and wash down. Simple operation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

€40/milking here for 45 cows, no moving wires/feeding calves, he said he’s happy with it so I’m not going to argue, would be here a shake under 2hrs full job( getting cows/locking out) he’s a very good man and I wouldn’t like to see him go tbh, told me he milks 110 cows for another lad for €45 thought that was miserable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

simx wrote: »
    €40/milking here for 45 cows, no moving wires/feeding calves, he said he’s happy with it so I’m not going to argue, would be here a shake under 2hrs full job( getting cows/locking out) he’s a very good man and I wouldn’t like to see him go tbh, told me he milks 110 cows for another lad for €45 thought that was miserable enough

I cant see why its linked to herd size, I did relief milking in the past and herd size was never the issue. facilities were a much bigger factor. it comes down to a hourly rate, a 20 unit parlour well set up could put 120/130 cows through in a hour.
    we put in an auto wash lately saves 20 mins at the end of milking and relief milker has use of quad to get the cows and lock them in. our relief lad milks 130 for 50 euro, he is very happy with it. he is never two hours in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

yewtree wrote: »
    I cant see why its linked to herd size, I did relief milking in the past and herd size was never the issue. facilities were a much bigger factor. it comes down to a hourly rate, a 20 unit parlour well set up could put 120/130 cows through in a hour.
    we put in an auto wash lately saves 20 mins at the end of milking and relief milker has use of quad to get the cows and lock them in. our relief lad milks 130 for 50 euro, he is very happy with it. he is never two hours in the place

I would agree. I used to milk for 4 different farms one time.
    Two had 16 units
    One with auto washer, removers etc milking 100 cows
    Other with no auto washer, no removers milking 120 cows.
    Took me the same amount of time to milk in both places.
    The set up in the more automated parlour was poor. You spent as much time out of the pit as in it. Pushing cows in and out of the parlour and closing and opening different gates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Did any of the welfare recipients take up milking? In that thread last year everyone was saying they could do it no bother even though I disagreed. A few 5 am starts on frosty mornings and they wouldn't be long making themselves scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wilberforce Buckshot

OK. So you've got a full time job. You do relief milking via FRS (like me). I milk a herd of 500 per night with farmers son which takes between 3.5 and 4.5 hrs. After tax you take home just under 25 euro. Ask yourself, is it worth it?????? For me, it pays for the kids clothes etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

OK. So you've got a full time job. You do relief milking via FRS (like me). I milk a herd of 500 per night with farmers son which takes between 3.5 and 4.5 hrs. After tax you take home just under 25 euro. Ask yourself, is it worth it?????? For me, it pays for the kids clothes etc....

Are FRS billing for relief milking or billing for agricultural hours worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wilberforce Buckshot

alps wrote: »
    Are FRS billing for relief milking or billing for agricultural hours worked?

Good question..... It appears there is a sliding scale. You would have the standard rate up to say 80 cows then charge 15cent a cow for arguments sake. The question is, what is the cut off point when you go from charging the above rate to charging something per hour because I can't see any large farm going with the first rate. The milker would be earning 100 quid per milking. It's all stacked against the relief milker.

Advertisement