Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relief milking rate

Options
  • 15-12-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Might be interested in doing relief milking at weekends next year , if it paid well enough.
    What rates are out there and is it cash in hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

jntsnk wrote: »
    Might be interested in doing relief milking at weekends next year , if it paid well enough.
    What rates are out there and is it cash in hand.

50 here per milking for experienced operator. From arriving to leaving is app 2 hours. Milker will decide on grazing residuals and move cows on appropriately, and will arrange vet visit for any cow in need etc. Payment as per revenue requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    50 here per milking for experienced operator. From arriving to leaving is app 2 hours. Milker will decide on grazing residuals and move cows on appropriately, and will arrange vet visit for any cow in need etc. Payment as per revenue requirements.
    Days of Johnny cash are done ,all thru books here as well .40 per milking ,in/out in 1.15 to 1 hr 30 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Ok not attractive enough when half of it will be going in tax. Have a week job

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

Was talking to someone getting 40 euro. Clusters on at seven, feed calves out the gate at eleven...handy money!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

visatorro wrote: »
    Was talking to someone getting 40 euro. Clusters on at seven, feed calves out the gate at eleven...handy money!!

I hope there was sarcasm in that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

valtra2 wrote: »
    visatorro wrote: »

I hope there was sarcasm in that

Yeah. The fella that owns the farm doesn't milk understandably, he's not silly. Farm relief and then whatever young lad he can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea , I'd find it hard to believe that someone would break their weekend for twenty after tax, I'd say you'd get cash if you insisted, would it be even worth your while at 40

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea , I'd find it hard to believe that someone would break their weekend for twenty after tax, I'd say you'd get cash if you insisted, would it be even worth your while at 40

Go on Wrangler...tell us what it would take to break your weekend?

Go on Wrangler...tell us what it would take to break your weekend?

I'm asking the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

As above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

€50 per milking here for milking 80 cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭older by the day

boggerman1 wrote: »
    €50 per milking here for milking 80 cows.

I have a guy who milks the cows when I'm stuck, maybe 10 times a year, and I give him a Euro a cow cash. It the most important job in farming, any idiot can drive a tractor (Well most idiots) but with scc and tbc and antibiotics surley you can give a bit more occasionally. Give a bit of cash to a young lad starting off, it will cost more tax wise but he might do you a good turn sometime. With the meanness I'm reading here, its no wonder the IFA are trying to get lads from asia and south america to work for ye. To the young fellow asking about relief milking ask enough, spending 2 hours being covered in some other man's cows Shiite deserves good money, and if he won't give a few euros cash let him fook himself

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I have a guy who milks the cows when I'm stuck, maybe 10 times a year, and I give him a Euro a cow cash. It the most important job in farming, any idiot can drive a tractor (Well most idiots) but with scc and tbc and antibiotics surley you can give a bit more occasionally. Give a bit of cash to a young lad starting off, it will cost more tax wise but he might do you a good turn sometime. With the meanness I'm reading here, its no wonder the IFA are trying to get lads from asia and south america to work for ye. To the young fellow asking about relief milking ask enough, spending 2 hours being covered in some other man's cows Shiite deserves good money, and if he won't give a few euros cash let him fook himself

Everything through the books here, €50 less than 2 hours from walking in to walking out. A lad in college does most of weekend relief here. What other part time job would pay him +€20/hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭davidk1394

€40 cash. €50 if it’s through books. That’s bringing in cows and moving them into fresh grass.

yewtree wrote: »
    Everything through the books here, €50 less than 2 hours from walking in to walking out. A lad in college does most of weekend relief here. What other part time job would pay him +€20/hour?

Depends on what type of work I suppose, gathering trolleys in a super market or managing your herd of cows, its pay for responsibility I think. I did my 3 months work experience for a very nice man a long time ago, but he used to say that he wouldn't get out of bed if he wouldn't make a hundred a day, I was getting 50 a week so he got about a half a days work a week from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Ah I was told I giving too much for it.i consider the 50€ a mininium and anything else the chap does is paid separate.I know of a man not a million miles from me who had a young lad doing milking.he was only paying him €25 per milking for milking on excess of 220 cows.that scandalous but hey their are lads like it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Ah I was told I giving too much for it.i consider the 50€ a mininium and anything else the chap does is paid separate.I know of a man not a million miles from me who had a young lad doing milking.he was only paying him €25 per milking for milking on excess of 220 cows.that scandalous but hey their are lads like it out there.

If I could get two eejits fellas to share milking 220 cows for 25 Euro per milking, I'd be buying a heap of cows and sitting in the kitchen all day drinking tae and letting them work away.

Sure I'd even round it up for them. 200 Euro each a week to split it between them however suited themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depends on what type of work I suppose, gathering trolleys in a super market or managing your herd of cows, its pay for responsibility I think. I did my 3 months work experience for a very nice man a long time ago, but he used to say that he wouldn't get out of bed if he wouldn't make a hundred a day, I was getting 50 a week so he got about a half a days work a week from me.

I got 3 pound an hour for supermarket and petrol station work and when euros came in got less than a tenner for groundwork labouring and plant work in a factory. 20 or 25 an hour for relief milking a herd of cows isn't underpaying imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mooooo wrote: »
    I got 3 pound an hour for supermarket and petrol station work and when euros came in got less than a tenner for groundwork labouring and plant work in a factory. 20 or 25 an hour for relief milking a herd of cows isn't underpaying imo

Ya but tbe milker has all the inconvenience of having to be available both morning and evening.
    I know two milkings is €100 and is a full days pay as such but travelling must be done twice. If only one milking €50 is not a lot.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Ya but tbe milker has all the inconvenience of having to be available both morning and evening.
    I know two milkings is €100 and is a full days pay as such but travelling must be done twice. If only one milking €50 is not a lot.

40 mpg. If traveling 10 miles each way is 3 euro or so in diesel. When it's relief milking most lads have everything sorted 're paddocks etc as well

40 mpg. If traveling 10 miles each way is 3 euro or so in diesel. When it's relief milking most lads have everything sorted 're paddocks etc as well

And to think of the bitching and back biting when milk drops a cent by the co.op. The f-ing Larry Goodman gets for dropping a kg of beef 5cent. I wouldn't like to be working for some people on here. Milking is different to normal work its usually only 4 hours a day, two trips, and its responsible work.

And to think of the bitching and back biting when milk drops a cent by the co.op. The f-ing Larry Goodman gets for dropping a kg of beef 5cent. I wouldn't like to be working for some people on here. Milking is different to normal work its usually only 4 hours a day, two trips, and its responsible work.

What work isn't responsible? Your assuming I'm bad to work for due to my differing opinion to yours? Lad working with me has had multiple offers from else where both farming and building and is happy to stay and if an offer comes in I can't match all I can do is wish him the best of luck as he is a good worker and a good person
    If you can and are willing to pay 50 quid an hour more power to you but don't look down on the rest of us because we may not. Milking is an important job but treating it as if someone has to be special in order to do it is ridiculous. It's managing the farm is where the money is earned milking is only a part of that.

Then don't milk

200 cows giving maybe €1000 worth of milk.....would you ever milk again if you could get them milked for fifty euros

wrangler wrote: »
    200 cows giving maybe €1000 worth of milk.....would you ever milk again if you could get them milked for fifty euros

Shir milking is the only cost to get the cheque ......

What work isn't responsible? Your assuming I'm bad to work for due to my differing opinion to yours? Lad working with me has had multiple offers from else where both farming and building and is happy to stay and if an offer comes in I can't match all I can do is wish him the best of luck as he is a good worker and a good person
    If you can and are willing to pay 50 quid an hour more power to you but don't look down on the rest of us because we may not. Milking is an important job but treating it as if someone has to be special in order to do it is ridiculous. It's managing the farm is where the money is earned milking is only a part of that.

Touchy, I don't really care too much on this topic to be arguing. I don't care if you pay a man one Euro an hour. I was answering the question asked at the top of the tread. And my advice is don't do releif milking unless your properly paid for it, imo 25 Euro an hour. Travel at your own expense. If you have experience and it occasional cover there are plenty that will give you that.

Touchy, I don't really care too much on this topic to be arguing. I don't care if you pay a man one Euro an hour. I was answering the question asked at the top of the tread. And my advice is don't do releif milking unless your properly paid for it, imo 25 Euro an hour. Travel at your own expense. If you have experience and it occasional cover there are plenty that will give you that.

Was only responding to your reply to me. The lad that doesn't care comes in calling lads mean and wouldn't work for em etc? And then says 25 an hour which is what the the rate given for milking above at 2 hours to which you referred to lads as mean, shir make up your mind

Was only responding to your reply to me. The lad that doesn't care comes in calling lads mean and wouldn't work for em etc? And then says 25 an hour which is what the the rate given for milking above at 2 hours to which you referred to lads as mean, shir make up your mind

I was looking at your response that every job has responsibility and a 10 mile journey should only cost 3 Euro. I was pointing out if you have a good responsible relief Milker, you should look after them. I said i paid mine a Euro cash a cow. I have sixty cows and might be missing only a couple of weekends thru the year. It's great to know that things will be fine, and not be worrieing about what's happening at home. The day will come when young fellas won't do it and then you can argue

• Advertisement

I agree with you on looking after a good lad, I'd be the same rarely not around on weekends and if I am it's generally only post breeding when I go. If you had 120 cows and could milk them in the same time as the 60 you have would you be giving 240 a day for just the 4 hours milking?

Advertisement