Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's boxing 8/12 (Lomachenko/Dogboe/Brook/Carroll)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Biggest waste of a career ever. Imagine basing ever decision you've made on the basis you'd make a fight with Amir Khan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Great to see Andy as a pundit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Say what you want about the GGG fight and some called him brave and some stupid but it looks like it has been a career killer. Injury sustained in that fight and then subsequently in Spence fight have left him with nothing in the tank. As has been said previously it looks like he is just desperate for the money fight against Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Say what you want about the GGG fight and some called him brave and some stupid but it looks like it has been a career killer. Injury sustained in that fight and then subsequently in Spence fight have left him with nothing in the tank. As has been said previously it looks like he is just desperate for the money fight against Khan.

Hearn has also invested a heap of cash on the back of the Khan bout.

Teofimo Lopez is special

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Caught clips of Lomachenko fight, he is something else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dogboe got beat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Lomachenko really had to work last night.

That was a very close fight up until the last few rounds.

Pedraza had his tactics spot on and was absolutely in that fight, despite what the scorecards may indicate.

Lomachenko showed his greatness with a tremendous 11th which sealed it, but I couldn't help noticing the complete lack of right hooks throughout the fight. I wonder if it has actually recovered from the operation or if he was just being cautious with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,702 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Agreed

Spence fight beat an awful lot out of Brook..

Loma seemed a little off...maybe he wasn’t as up for this fight as some others, or the injury saw him a little less sharp/prepared; but Pedraza fought well, and I think his length/height/range and movement caused the shorter Loma issues...

I know it’s his style but again, far too much posing and shaping and movement that is a little unnecessary.

All credit to Loma. Showed championship class to wind it up and finish strong...that effort and sustained attack in rd 11 was superb..10-7 rd

Lot of rds Loma wasn’t winning or losing...same for Pedraza..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Thought the Jono fight was same as Andy v Quillin for me. With the opponent shading it but officially a draw. Of course neither are elite but Jono has heart even though he wilted in the latter part of the fight. Andy's commentary was spot on as ever. Very concise about Jono's corner needing to more for their man. Considering the French chap had three times the amount of fights under his belt this is a credible result.

Brook is an enigma and this win was as unimpressive as you're likely to see. No reason for Khan to fight him as it would be a step backward. His defense was average and he will be found out when he steps up if the Hurd fights happens.

The undercard of the Loma produced one of the most devastating kos ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez_ppXS2SYc

Styles make fights and the Lomachenko fight was exactly that. Felt Pedraza was a great opponent for Loma. Taller with a bigger reach he looked comfortable early on and earned the Ukrainian's respect. As ever Loma's footwork was exceptional and although his punch output was low early on this can be excused given his surgery. Pedraza switched his stance and halfway through I had it even but despite Loma upping it going down the stretch he was still getting tagged as Pedraza was using his size and his jab well.

I though the 10th and 11th rounds were fascinating. In the 10th Pedraza was clearly catching Loma coming in but in the 11th Loma hurt him with everything and I thought the ref would stop it but the Puerto Rican was saved by the bell. So no surprise at the UD really but huge respect for Pedraza taking him the full 12.

Slightly unfair to say he was just figuring him out in a very good tactical fight but he's definitely the man. I really enjoyed watching this and would have been there but going up next week instead!

Last HBO coverage too and this is a great montage of their significance to the sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdnJPENitM

Thought Loma looked like a featherweight boxing at lightweight again last night. Think he's reached his ceiling at this weight class and really shouldn't move up any higher. I'd actually like to see him back at super feather. Far better fights there for him in Machado, Berchelt and Davis.

Only good fight at 135 is Mikey Garcia and tbh I'd feel pretty confident in taking Mikey to beat him.

No comments on Jono's beard.....I am a bit lost as to why he'd be allowed a beard like he has..

Facial hair, yes.....but his is a fully grown beard...

One due to possible injuries that the referee/doctor may not be able to see, and 2 due to it kind of disguising his chin for his opponent...

Or, maybe cushioning punches..........I know, very negligible....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

walshb wrote: »
    No comments on Jono's beard.....I am a bit lost as to why he'd be allowed a beard like he has..

Facial hair, yes.....but his is a fully grown beard...

One due to possible injuries that the referee/doctor may not be able to see, and 2 due to it kind of disguising his chin for his opponent...

Or, maybe cushioning punches..........I know, very negligible....

I remember many a year ago that beards were not allowed. Did this officially change or has it just become unenforceable?

boxer.fan wrote: »
    I remember many a year ago that beards were not allowed. Did this officially change or has it just become unenforceable?

I wasn’t aware of any change in any rules. I always thought that the boxer needed to be somewhat shaven...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

walshb wrote: »
    I wasn’t aware of any change in any rules. I always thought that the boxer needed to be somewhat shaven...

Strict rule for amateurs. I think only a thin "pencil moustache" is allowed

I was never aware of any rule for pros. Probably came down to the organization or maybe even contract for fight

Strict rule for amateurs. I think only a thin "pencil moustache" is allowed

I was never aware of any rule for pros. Probably came down to the organization or maybe even contract for fight

The rule definitely exist in the amateurs. Pre medical and fight time...

In the pros I remember reading about facial hair must be such that it does not possibly cushion blows...and that the jawline must be visible....

I guess in the pros with all the commissions and promotes etc, the rules can be very much different.

Anyway, from a visibility stance and a cushioning stance I think Jono's beard surely would warrant looking at? It's a full beard...

And for Jono the beard could prove a distraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Thought the Jono fight was same as Andy v Quillin for me. With the opponent shading it but officially a draw. Of course neither are elite but Jono has heart even though he wilted in the latter part of the fight. Andy's commentary was spot on as ever. Very concise about Jono's corner needing to more for their man. Considering the French chap had three times the amount of fights under his belt this is a credible result.

Brook is an enigma and this win was as unimpressive as you're likely to see. No reason for Khan to fight him as it would be a step backward. His defense was average and he will be found out when he steps up if the Hurd fights happens.

The undercard of the Loma produced one of the most devastating kos ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez_ppXS2SYc

Styles make fights and the Lomachenko fight was exactly that. Felt Pedraza was a great opponent for Loma. Taller with a bigger reach he looked comfortable early on and earned the Ukrainian's respect. As ever Loma's footwork was exceptional and although his punch output was low early on this can be excused given his surgery. Pedraza switched his stance and halfway through I had it even but despite Loma upping it going down the stretch he was still getting tagged as Pedraza was using his size and his jab well.

I though the 10th and 11th rounds were fascinating. In the 10th Pedraza was clearly catching Loma coming in but in the 11th Loma hurt him with everything and I thought the ref would stop it but the Puerto Rican was saved by the bell. So no surprise at the UD really but huge respect for Pedraza taking him the full 12.

Slightly unfair to say he was just figuring him out in a very good tactical fight but he's definitely the man. I really enjoyed watching this and would have been there but going up next week instead!

Last HBO coverage too and this is a great montage of their significance to the sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdnJPENitM

Lopez completely disrespectful after he'd knocked out his opponent.

Advertisement