Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get kittens

Options
  • 04-12-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

Myself and my husband are looking to get kittens and just wanted to know where people here got kittens and what they'd recommend.

We've been to the <snip> and plan to go again to have another look but want to know is there other places to be aware.

We want to get two siblings ideally under 3 months (over 8 weeks obviously).

Should we just stick with visits to animal shelters or are there issues with rescues? I think I saw on here that pet insurance can be complicated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I got mine from <snip>, had no issues with them. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

With the help of the local vet I trapped and brought home a feral family of kittens that were living rough. They have settled in nicely although they will never be cuddly house cats. There are plenty of strays needing homes, why don't you try looking for some? Ask your local vet, they may know of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Any cat resuce, they'll be delighted to help you out, there's always an abundance of kittens to rehome, also look at a local vets Facebook page, I know down here in tipp the vets always seems to have kittens on its pages for rehoming( plus the kittens are fully checked out so ya know you won't have any problems starting off), just make sure to neuter the little mites it's best for them I think. Fair play for taken two on, their a joy to have

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Please consider rehoming an adult cat. They're usually overlooked when people want to get a cat, maybe one that has kittens. Most animal shelters have lots to choose from!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just a reminder to all posters that rescues cannot be recommended or named on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

With the help of the local vet I trapped and brought home a feral family of kittens that were living rough. They have settled in nicely although they will never be cuddly house cats. There are plenty of strays needing homes, why don't you try looking for some? Ask your local vet, they may know of some.

The <snip> is local enough to us, but I will ask around, thanks.

I guess I'm just hoping to be able to get a pair, I'd really like our cat to have a companion and and the studies say litter siblings are the best.

It limits my options I know, I think I'll just have to contact more rescues and let them know our situation and hope they get back to us.

We used to rescue strays, and while I always was fond of them, I'm hoping for a more tame cat this time as my dog passed away a few years ago and I miss having a pet to pet (we've hamsters now, not the most cuddly).

Just a reminder to all posters that rescues cannot be recommended or named on thread.

Is it okay if posters PM rescues?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

GingerLily wrote: »
    Is it okay if posters PM rescues?

Posters can PM you, just be aware that different people have different ideas about what makes a rescue reputable. It is up to yourself to do your own research on places and make up your own mind.

It would be helpful to know where you are based.

Has anyone had issue with pet insurance and rescues?

• Advertisement

I'm based in Dublin!

If anyone has advice on a specific rescue please do PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I had a rescue cat. When it came to a pet insurance claim (they insured her no problem), they did ask about all the details of when and where I got her from.
    I had kept all the paperwork from the adoption so was able to send a copy to them but they still contacted the rescue centre themselves just to check. They had no issue paying the claim once all checks were done.
    No idea if this is the norm with insurance claims or what they’d do if we’d just adopted a stray cat with no paperwork! You’d assume getting one from a rescue is the easier option, at least there’s a paper trail of proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You definitely shouldn't have a problem getting two siblings from a rescue, I often see rescues advertising them together. And in my opinion it's a brilliant idea to get two - I only have the one, and she's so easy to look after that I often think two would be very little extra work, and I'd love for her to have company when I'm at work or away at weekends.

It's near the end of kitten season now so you may have difficulty getting them as young as you'd like. As someone else suggested, it may be worth considering young adult cats instead?

Regarding pet insurance, most rescues (including the one I had mentioned) do a full health check at the vets before adoption, the cats are usually neutered and vaccinated as well. Assuming they pass the health check with no issues, and if they are going to be indoor only cats, I'd be questioning whether insurance is really necessary - mightnt you be better to just put X amount of money aside for possible future emergencies? (I would be more likely to get insurance for outdoor cats.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Gingerlily if you can afford the pet insurance do, I haven't been able to afford it over the years with amount of mouths I had to feed, I'm down to 3 cats atm here, one of them has just been diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago, the cost has been high on me for this time of year, but have her sorted now and she's 90% back to herself, it's gonna be an on going cost but she's Worth it, so get pet insurance if you can avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Make sure you choose the right rescue. For your adoption fee, the kittens should be visibly healthy (no runny eyes or runny noses) with a worming history, vaccination history from a vet and neutered, if old enough. (Vets will now neuter rescue kittens for rehoming from about 10-12 weeks - rescues have no excuse to be rehoming kittens un-neutered!)

For instance, a group that I work with has a rehoming fee of €50 and the kittens are wormed, fully vaccinated, microchipped and neutered. Don't settle!

Good on you for choosing to adopt two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My new threesome came via the internet. No fee; and they were neutered etc. Just a lady who had collected cats in from the streets and was having to move to a new country.

They are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Valerie Matthews

To get kittens from rescue is definately a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had not had young cats for many years and am relearning their sheer spunk and energy. a joy.

Advertisement