Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passport application - known by a different name to my birth certificate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm not offended :pac: ..... I just don't see the point.

I'll give you a great tip for life, now listen carefully....you don't have to see the point of what other people choose to do, or think, or say. Your feelings on the matter at hand are of no consequence to anyone but you.

Advocating entire swathes of people to change their behaviour based on you not seeing the point is both silly and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:pac:

There's definitely someone here who has strong feelings on the subject, but it isn't me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'll give you a great tip for life, now listen carefully....you don't have to see the point of what other people choose to do, or think, or say. Your feelings on the matter at hand are of no consequence to anyone but you.

Advocating entire swathes of people to change their behaviour based on you not seeing the point is both silly and arrogant.
    Tell us a few of your AKAs.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tony? I'd have called him Chuzwuzza.

Just so he’d be “unique” yeah ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

L1011 wrote: »
    Are we related? :pac:

I'd say less than half of my family, both sides, use the first name on their birthcert. Some use none of them at all. Its not uncommon and the passport office have ways and means to handle it

With the exception of my three nieces (who are Swiss so do things differently :p) not one member of my family is known by the name on their birth cert - the only times this causes any confusion is when the person themselves forgets the name they are known by isn't their "official" name e.g :my mother getting her driving licence renewed puts down "Betty" forgetting that "Elizabeth" appears nowhere on her birth cert, me sitting in waiting rooms wondering why this "Theresa" person isn't responding forgetting that's me.

I have found that officialdom in Ireland is well used to it. You just say "yes, that's my name but I'm commonly known as ....", then they call you that.

This habit of calling people names other than their "official" one has been the norm in Ireland for literally thousands of years and is a throw back to Gaelic times when people used "family" names so to tell the various people in the clan with the same name apart nicknames were used to distinguish them. Some of the nicknames were quite amusing - one of the many many many Ulick Burkes of Galway's nickname translates into English as "Penis of Plenty", while Gráinne Ní Mhaille's second husband, Risteard na Búrc was know as Risteard in Iarainn ("Iron Dick") - her first husband was Domhnail "an Chogaidh" Uí Flaithbheartaigh (Donal of the Battles/Fighting Donal).

I like it - it's one of the few really Gaelic traditions we have retained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Please tell me that instead of "Theresa" your family call you "Mary of the Bloody Gaze" :D

RayCun wrote: »
    Please tell me that instead of "Theresa" your family call you "Mary of the Bloody Gaze" :D

Sadly No. :(

But my brother does have Mary on his birth cert. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    With the exception of my three nieces (who are Swiss so do things differently :p) not one member of my family is known by the name on their birth cert - the only times this causes any confusion is when the person themselves forgets the name they are known by isn't their "official" name e.g :my mother getting her driving licence renewed puts down "Betty" forgetting that "Elizabeth" appears nowhere on her birth cert, me sitting in waiting rooms wondering why this "Theresa" person isn't responding forgetting that's me.

I have found that officialdom in Ireland is well used to it. You just say "yes, that's my name but I'm commonly known as ....", then they call you that.

This habit of calling people names other than their "official" one has been the norm in Ireland for literally thousands of years and is a throw back to Gaelic times when people used "family" names so to tell the various people in the clan with the same name apart nicknames were used to distinguish them. Some of the nicknames were quite amusing - one of the many many many Ulick Burkes of Galway's nickname translates into English as "Penis of Plenty", while Gráinne Ní Mhaille's second husband, Risteard na Búrc was know as Risteard in Iarainn ("Iron Dick") - her first husband was Domhnail "an Chogaidh" Uí Flaithbheartaigh (Donal of the Battles/Fighting Donal).

I like it - it's one of the few really Gaelic traditions we have retained.
    Registering of births in Ireland only started in the 1860s so this 100s of years is nonsense. as you have pointed out people forget the official name and then cause trouble for themselves and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I don't think I have ever used the first name on my birth certificate. Just about to travel across the world with my passport ( of 40 years) with my 'used' name. I have never had a passport with my actual birth cert name on it.

Registering of births in Ireland only started in the 1860s so this 100s of years is nonsense. as you have pointed out people forget the official name and then cause trouble for themselves and others.

Yes - and before the 1860s no one had an official name - usually given at baptism :rolleyes:

Pull your horns in there - I was simply pointing out this is not only usual in Ireland, It has been the case for centuries.

And the only people I showed getting "confused" were the people who forgot that their own official name is as they are so used to their nickname being used.
    Because that is what it is - a fecking nickname.

Ya'll want to outlaw nicknames now????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yes - and before the 1860s no one had an official name - usually given at baptism :rolleyes:

Pull your horns in there - I was simply pointing out this is not only usual in Ireland, It has been the case for centuries.

And the only people I showed getting "confused" were the people who forgot that their own official name is as they are so used to their nickname being used.
    Because that is what it is - a fecking nickname.

Ya'll want to outlaw nicknames now????

It can have been going on for centuries because 1860 was only 158 years ago which is less than 2 centuries. prior to that nicknames were official e.g. Red Hugh O Donnell. There were no passports. What I object to is parents putting one name on a birth cert and then calling the child by a different name.

Advertisement