Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M7 roadworks speeds vans from Monday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw the aftermath of a nasty smash there a few weeks ago.
    The van was a write off with its whole engine compartment smashed in.

Looked like he went into a works vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I can’t see the risk for workers behind the steel barrier.

My opinion is that the low limit is to allow the dumpster trucks pull out into traffic.

Ps the signs “my dad works here” are sexist against mothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I can’t see the risk for workers behind the steel barrier.

My opinion is that the low limit is to allow the dumpster trucks pull out into traffic.

Ps the signs “my dad works here” are sexist against mothers.

What about "my 2nd cousin works here"
    Or
    "My transsexual grandmothers work here"

iRXsne

iRXsne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

mikeecho wrote: »
    What about "my 2nd cousin works here"
    Or
    "My transsexual grandmothers work here"

iRXsne

iRXsne

A transsexual granny operating a track machine :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Any updates on speed van locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

60kph is too low and hard to stick to. Yes it's a busy road but Glasgow was way worse than Kildare. We had a few small tips but nothing major.

Whatever about your opinion about the right speed limit, if you can't keep a car under/around a speed limit, you really need to consider driving lessons. Or giving up driving. Don't make excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Ps the signs “my dad works here” are sexist against mothers.
    How is it 'sexist'? :confused:

The childrens' mother doesn't work there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any sign of these vans yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭ec18

beertons wrote: »

none yesterday around 7/7:30 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Would the vans have to go on the left side of the road in the direction of travel or could they go on the works area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I was behind a garda car Saturday evening, from the m1 until the m7 split off for Waterford/Limerick. The Garda Car did 100kph throughout all the road works with all the cars following along at his speed. He hadn't and blues on and wasnt in any rush on the rest of the trip.. so even the gardai dont obey the limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

How is it 'sexist'? :confused:

The childrens' mother doesn't work there.
    Are you sure. Maybe she is the "TeaPerson" or the "ForePerson" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Are you sure. Maybe she is the "TeaPerson" or the "ForePerson" :P
    The children pictured are the children of the engineer heading up the project. He was on the radio a few weeks ago talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    So why not have countrywide 30. Surely getting road fatalities down to zero would warrant this?
    Limit all vehicles and have massive enforcement.

Going on your logic lets have a nationwide speed limit of 5. Then road fatalities would drop to near zero.

I know he's joking, as are you, but no-one would dare apply the same facetiousness to drinks driving limits, so why is is OK with speed limits?

Probably more to to with drivers ability to keep a car out of the barrier at 120kph when overtaking a truck or bus, than the workers safety if a car does glance a barrier.

Works vehicles going in and out of the site are probably a concern too as they have to accelerate up to speed but can only do so when they're in the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1am last night there was one hiding behind the 'newbridge silverware' sign outbound between naas and newbridge , traffic was mostly moving at 60 anyway but It was well hidden, barely saw the high vis on the back

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

1am last night there was one hiding behind the 'newbridge silverware' sign outbound between naas and newbridge , traffic was mostly moving at 60 anyway but It was well hidden, barely saw the high vis on the back

1am. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

1am. Ffs.

Just slow down for a few km. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

mattser wrote: »
    Just slow down for a few km. FFS.

15km is more than "a few"

Would you like to be stuck behind a tractor tor 15k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

15km is more than "a few"

Would you like to be stuck behind a tractor tor 15k?

Is the tractor sticking to the speed limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

The type of people who say 60km along those roadworks at nighttime for 15km is totally fine, not frustrating or irritating in anyway, are the type of people who have to take a break from watching cricket as they get over excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Has there been cameras yet and are they helping calm the celtic tiger attitude to road safety?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

amcalester wrote: »
    I bet 60 km/h is fast enough from the perspective of the workers.
    Wailin wrote: »
    Have you driven that stretch of road? You do realise the workers are protected by large steel barriers yes?

These would be the invisible workers on Saturdays and Sundays?

Ridiculous that they haven't implemented shift patterns to ensure 7-day works on this project - it's one of the busiest stretches of road in the country, and one of the worst for congestion. Crazy that they aren't doing everything possible to reduce the disruption caused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CosmicJay wrote: »
    The type of people who say 60km along those roadworks at nighttime for 15km is totally fine, not frustrating or irritating in anyway, are the type of people who have to take a break from watching cricket as they get over excited.

Don't watch cricket. But really, it is fine. It's easy peasy lemon squeezy, as my kid would say. He looks forward to when we over take people after the 60km/h stretch. Becuase it's kinda funny that so many people are in a rush to get through it, but then barely break 100 km/h, when it's upto 120km/h. And that's a high number of people unhappy with doing 60km/h for a fairly insignificant stretch, compaired to what will be the overall lenght of their journey. They just don't want to be restricted by someone else's measure of the limit, but happy to impose their own. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭creedp

blackwhite wrote: »

Ridiculous that they haven't implemented shift patterns to ensure 7-day works on this project - it's one of the busiest stretches of road in the country, and one of the worst for congestion. Crazy that they aren't doing everything possible to reduce the disruption caused.

C'mon this is Ireland. In this country there is no living organism further down the food chain than drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Do you realize the cost of 7 days a week operation, including overtime?

The disruption will be there regardless. It was busy before the work started so let's just let them do it as planned and enjoy the result.

wonski wrote: »

The disruption will be there regardless. It was busy before the work started so let's just let them do it as planned and enjoy the result.

I fully appreciate the extra cost, but for certain key routes the cost-benefit should still weigh in favour of getting it done ASAP.

I fully appreciate the extra cost, but for certain key routes the cost-benefit should still weigh in favour of getting it done ASAP.

Weekend work would cost a lot.

Let them have a life and proceed as planned.

And to hell with the thousands of commuters every day, and the costs that the economy suffers through lost time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

But would it?
    Offer the consortium a couple million to finish 3 or 4 months ahead of programme. Happened plenty on much less important roads in the early 2000s

I don't understand why 24/7 working was not in tender stipulations. Unless it's to appease locals?

Been involved in many tenders and have enforced night works on contractors.

That or put it to 80 or 90 after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

But would it?
    Offer the consortium a couple million to finish 3 or 4 months ahead of programme. Happened plenty on much less important roads in the early 2000s

I don't understand why 24/7 working was not in tender stipulations. Unless it's to appease locals?

Been involved in many tenders and have enforced night works on contractors.

That or put it to 80 or 90 after hours.
    And completely agree with 60 during work hours.

Try getting dopey truck drivers in off a motorway for a day and your blood pressure may never recover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What is the cost of 80,000 vehicles being held up?

What is the cost of 80,000 vehicles being held up?

I don't know. Cost me and most commuters nothing.

Slowing down to 60 doesn't increase fuel consumption nor slow the country down as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Southbound M7 last night at about 8pm. Northbound about 3am. No sign of any Go Safe van. There was a lot of very fast cars going by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Southbound M7 last night at about 8pm. Northbound about 3am. No sign of any Go Safe van. There was a lot of very fast cars going by!

I'll do what I normally do, just keep an eye out for brake lights in the distance.

Works for all sorts of hazards and speed cameras., and general good road craft.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'll do what I normally do, just keep an eye out for brake lights in the distance.

Works for all sorts of hazards and speed cameras., and general good road craft.

You don't have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I don't know. Cost me and most commuters nothing.

Slowing down to 60 doesn't increase fuel consumption nor slow the country down as much.

If delays do not cause a problem, then why are they widening the road?

They should really have only bothered widening outbound. Inbound is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I travelled this stretch outbound last night. Decided to do the 60, so sat behind a truck and ambled along. Traffic wasn't that heavy, and about 15 cars passed me the full length of the roadworks, none of them doing any crazy speed (80-100 I'd say).

As soon as the roadworks ended at junction 11, I went straight back up to 120 and cruised along. By Junction 13. I had overtaken at least 8 of the cars that passed me earlier. They were all still doing the 80-100. I'd say half of them hadn't even noticed that the roadworks had finished (or maybe that they even existed in the first place).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

passed 2 speed vans on Sat, I stuck to the 60k :)

know anyone who got a ticket?
    just wondering are they sticking to the 10% variance like they do across the country?

good to see them enforce the 60 limit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Agreed, as much as everyone hates them they're a necessity sometimes.

Now it'll just be a race between the speed vans and know locations though. What's needed are average speed cameras covering the full stretch as is often done in England. Signpost it well, and no bad feeling if you're caught.

In the US, "traffic fines doubled in construction zone" is a common sign, and the same should apply here.
    Agreed,but why not work as in the UK, nightime/weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

chancer007 wrote: »
    passed 2 speed vans on Sat, I stuck to the 60k :)

know anyone who got a ticket?
    just wondering are they sticking to the 10% variance like they do across the country?

good to see them enforce the 60 limit!

Yes I know someone who got one just after J9 inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

fullstop wrote: »
    Yes I know someone who got one just after J9 inbound.

Did the letter they received give the speed for which they were done?
    I do wonder the % above it they allow for
    Most Speedos read fast so would be interesting to know
    Mine reads about 3/4 high at 60 according to the sat Nav gps
    Good to see traffic slower though,still a odd clown flying through that stretch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Was up and down all last week and the sneaky 2nd van caught a few people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be fair the AGS Traffic Division on social media have posted numerous times warning motorists that there are two speed vans consecutively in operation on that stretch of road and not to speed up after passing the first one. Some people only learn one way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bazz26 wrote: »
    To be fair the AGS Traffic Division on social media have posted numerous times warning motorists that there are two speed vans consecutively in operation on that stretch of road and not to speed up after passing the first one. Some people only learn one way.

"Screw'em," would be how I look at it. I don't think there's a stretch of road anywhere else with as many warnings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

First van southbound is empty. Just a decoy. Windows all fogged up. Passed it three times today. At 59kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Allinall

roroliam wrote: »
    First van southbound is empty. Just a decoy. Windows all fogged up. Passed it three times today. At 59kph.

Windows fogged up would lead me to believe it’s occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

roroliam wrote: »

Pass it at 70 then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,932 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Drove through this outbound late last night and not a sinner working on it, light traffic and a complete exercise in frustration!

No vans, but there was a squad car parked up on the merge from Naas South.

Safety! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement