Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue hens

Options
  • 16-07-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on mobile so can't search, although I believe similar threads have been opened before. We've recently moved and now have a large garden. In the garden, there is a fully enclosed run which would be about 1/8 of an acre.

I'm considering adopting some ex battery hens and I'm wondering if we have a suitable set up.

They would have the run with a kennel or similar to sleep in. Once they are used to the routine of going to bed at night they could have more space if they needed it. Although the run is bigger than some gardens so they might be ok.

What sort of space is required for their sleeping area? Do they prefer to sleep up high? If the run is fully enclosed, does the sleep area also need to be sealed or would they prefer just a sheltered/roofed area?

The run has plenty of natural growth in it already. What sort of environment is best? Should the plants, nettles, shrubs etc be cleared for them or would it be nice for them to have somewhere to explore?

what size groups do they live happiest in? We'd only want two or three really.

We have dogs and a toddler. They will have no physical access (well the toddler will with supervision) but will be able to get right up to the other side of the fence. Would the hens get used to this or would the be miserable and scared?

Can anyone recommend a good website with step by step guides to keeping chickens. I wouldn't want to get them then realise that I can't look after them properly.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Woohoo! Another hen fan in the making :D
    Right. First off, no less than 3 hens. If one dies, you won't be left with a lone hen.
    Ex-batts are usually reasonably OK with human proximity, and they'd be delighted with the space you're offering. As long as the run isn't choked with weeds, they like having some cover and shade from the sun... Hot weather is hugely more challenging for hens than cold weather is.

House-wise, I'd be inclined to raise the kennel off the ground (poultry will attract rats... By raising it up you'll avoid the inevitable rat burrows under the kennel... It also tends to turn into a fine, sheltered area for dust baths ofter a while).
    Let them access it via a ramp through a hen-sized hole in the door. This door should be lock-able at night. The kennel itself needs to be sturdy enough to put predators off trying to chew or dig their way in.

Ex-batts often don't know how to roost on perches, preferring to nestle down in bedding, but I'd be inclined to provide them with a perch in the kennel... Some ex-batts learn to compromise if you provide a wide perch for them to sit up on with feet flat, without them having to wrap their feet around the more natural branch-type perch.

They will need a nest box that's "seperate" from their sleeping area, a boxed-off corner with straw in the kennel should do, just make sure it's accessible for you.

Ex-batts tend not to understand entering and exiting their shed at first, as they're not used to this routine. But, that instinct to go to bed at night is amazingly strong, so if you herd them, or even carry them into the kennel the first few evinings at dusk, they'll get into the swing of it very quickly, and will soon put themselves to bed. Just open the kennel door in the morning and let them mooch their own way out.

Back to rats... Treadle feeders are fantastic to keep both rats and crows from accessing the hen food. It takes hens a bit of time to get into the swing of using them, but they're brilliant. You'll need to feed layer's pellets ad-lib, and they also enjoy wheat to pick at. They also love most kitchen scraps, and it's very satisfying recycling waste food into eggs :D. They say though that no more than 10% of their diet should be made up of scraps.
    Ad-lib access to clean water too... Get a couple of good, big drinkers. Don't scrounge on the size of drinkers you buy! For 3-4 hens, go for a 5+ litre drinker. Or 2 or 3 of them.
    Oyster shell grit should be available all the time too... Ours devour the stuff. Much cheaper to buy in 25kg bags from agri shops than the smaller portions you get elsewhere.

I alluded to it earlier... Predator control is vital. I don't believe anything beats a good electric fence system to keep foxes at bay... Pine martin and mink are a whole other problem... Very hard to keep them out and they will kill all before them if they get in. We have recently bought electric poultry netting, making sure that the mesh at the bottom of the netting is small (5cm x 5cm) which should keep most threats out... It's not cheap, but it's not madly expensive either (50m, complete with fence posts, cost €100), and you can easily move it around at will... You'd need to invest in an electric fencing unit too... You can pick them up 2nd hand pretty easily... Mains-operated are your only man, not battery-operated. Our run is huge, and we've electric fence (normal strands, not the poultry netting) from just above ground level to 4 foot in height, plus physical fencing and hedging (so any predators have to negotiate both a physical barrier, and an electric one), and haven't lost any birds yet... Investing in good fencing is a bit of a pain when you're starting out, but it has to be done. Without it, the risk of losing birds increases hugely. Once you have it done, it's done.

Just as an alternative, if you keep an eye on the usual websites, you may come across people wanting to rehome hens that they don't want any more. It's another way to rescue hens, but these will usually be used to garden life, and may even be used to people to the point of being friendly. We have recently become home to 4 lovely Sussex hens who were very well cared-for, but had always lived in a (spacious) shed, and only saw grass for the first time when they arrived here... They are delighted with themselves, and one in particular would trip you up in her attempts to get you to pick her up :D
    Anyway... My point is that they're not ex-batt hens, but were just as in need of a new home! A little established group such as this will make it all that bit easier for someone like yourself starting out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks. Three ex-batts arriving on Saturday. Is it a case of just opening their crate in the coop, leaving food and water readily available and easy to find and letting them figure it out? Or is there anything I should be doing to help them settle?
    They'll be arriving at about 10am so all day to explore and get to know their area before dark. (Which reminds me, should I choose a bedtime or is bedtime when it gets dark?)

Edit: I feel like I'm learning everything from scratch! Going in a bit blind. I really hope this works out well!

Congratulations! :D
    It's usually recommended that you put newbies into their intended sleeping area, and let them make their own way out of it, so that they have some inkling of a "base" from the outset. If you have room to, then stick the crate into their shed, and leave doors open so they can mooch out when they've taken stock.
    It may help to leave some food scattered just outside to tempt them... Chickens can't help but peck at any spot that's a different colour from its background, so you could put, say, white cardboard down and scatter some pellets on it. Not vital though, just a suggestion!
    Re bedtime... They'll want to go to bed themselves just after the sun disappears from view, but still bright. Just to give you an indication of time, mine are lining up to go to bed from around 8.30pm at the min, all in by about 9pm. As they won't be used to the concept of *going to bed*, you may have to herd them in the first couple of nights, but being ex-batt does not curb that strong instinct to find a safe place to sleep as it gets dark. Indeed, you'll see all sorts of suppressed instincts now being given the opportunity to express themselves, one of the most satisfying parts of adopting ex-batts!
    Keep a close eye that one isn't being bullied, which will tend to come to light when they're forced into close proximity such as their shed. With newbies, I'll always try to get up at dawn to open doors so they can get out, just in case there's a problem in the shed. It's only when they have a bit of light to see each other that there tends to be a problem, if there's going to be a problem at all.
    You can expect an egg or two on Sunday, maybe even on Saturday itself, as they will have started the egg-making process before the big change that Saturday will bring (it takes them about 25 hours to make an egg), but you can expect a stall in egg production for a few days afterwards. They may start moulting straight away too, which also stalls the eggs.
    Best of luck with them now! I'll bet there's nobody here who keeps hens who believes you'll still only have 3 in a few months' time... Once you have done, the temptation to get more tends to kick in :D

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with a million questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can't wait to follow their progress lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tk123 wrote: »
    I can't wait to follow their progress lol :D

I once had three in my garden in Cornwall. A sheer delight watching them learn to really live and they were so sheerly affectionate..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

DBB wrote: »
    Congratulations! :D
    It's usually recommended that you put newbies into their intended sleeping area, and let them make their own way out of it, so that they have some inkling of a "base" from the outset. If you have room to, then stick the crate into their shed, and leave doors open so they can mooch out when they've taken stock.

We got some rescue hens at the weekend and this is what we did. They all ventured outside after a couple of hours. They are getting the hang of going to bed, just a couple needed to be herded in last night - the first couple of nights, we had to carry in a few of them but others went in by themselves right from the start. One of them has started roosting, the rest sleep on the floor. They look a sorry state with bald patches but they seem quite content.

hollypink wrote: »
    We got some rescue hens at the weekend and this is what we did. They all ventured outside after a couple of hours. They are getting the hang of going to bed, just a couple needed to be herded in last night - the first couple of nights, we had to carry in a few of them but others went in by themselves right from the start. One of them has started roosting, the rest sleep on the floor. They look a sorry state with bald patches but they seem quite content.

Must stop reading this thread.... getting very broody no way to keep hens here.. :rolleyes:

Do you have straw on the floor for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Oh how exciting! Please post pictures of them!! We have ex batteries. They are completely fearless. (Tins of sweetcorn and mashed potato are like crack for them.)

• Advertisement

Would they need to be checked/treated for anything on arrival? Like a dog from the pound I'd automatically check for fleas, ticks and treat for worms. Not sure what the story is with chickens.

With regard to food, I got a bag of "layers pellets". I assume this would be their main source of nutrition besides things they find out in the garden? Then the kitchen scraps and oyster grit are supplementary?
    My parents kept chickens and fed them just rice and scraps, and let them have the fun of the place eating insects and slugs etc so I'm really not familiar with feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Whispered wrote: »
    Do you have straw on the floor for them?

Yes lots of straw. I took the advice on this site https://www.farmfowl.com/rescuing-hens-in-ireland/ We're feeding them layers pellets and have a separate container of oyster grit.

Great to hear your ladies are settling in hollypink! Congratulations on your new arrivals! I didn't want to get whispered's hopes up too much, but yep... Ex-batts often seem to be quite tame, verging on friendly, and they take things in their stride. We have a few breeds here that are known to be flighty... And despite having been in close contact with us since the day they hatched, they are still drama queens extraordinaire, running away shrieking with horror if you look at them sideways... Sheesh! But the red hens are much more chilled out!
    Re bedding... I would use straw until you know more... If they're not into roosting on perches, they'll need straw to snuggle into. However, if they roost, then straw isn't great as it just gets too soiled, and you waste a lot of straw. I've used hardwood shavings, compost, and sand. The former two were abandoned when we got a bad red mite infestation as these substrates definitely "help" mites to thrive. Sand was good... Clean and easy to keep clean.
    On that note, I always worm and spray newbies for mites and lice, but... Maybe someone with more experience of ex-batts can say, I'd imagine real, proper ex-batts are clear of parasites as their sheds would have been kept clean and relatively sterile. It's not in the interests of an egg producer to have birds not operating to full capacity.
    So... Not sure I'd worry hugely at the outset. It's keeping on top of lice and mites when they're living a free range life that's the hard bit! But, cross that bridge once they're settled in and you're getting into the swing of it.
    Food... Layers pellets are pretty much a must for laying hens, as is oyster shell grit. Your hens will get plenty of pickings as free-rangers, but the layers pellets just ensure that (a) they have ad-lib access to food, and (b) they're definitely getting the nutrients they need. Try to get your hands on some wheat... They love to pick at it!

Brilliant. Thank you. I read on the website suggested above that, like you said, it's best to pop them into their sleeping area with a little food and water and leave them to it. They will come out when they're ready.

Reading loads now this evening and feeling better equipped. It makes sense what you say about parasites, so I'll wait a week or two on that front. Food, grit and straw on the agenda then for the first few days.

Touch wood (picking up another two on Saturday, YAY!) you're right - no lice at all so far. As I understand it, they are also vaccinated against salmonella.

And all our rescues over the years have been very used to people. I don't like to think about it too much, but if you do think, it's to do with the close proximity of cages/feeding and people walking up and down close to them.

Absolutely layers pellets are a must. You need to expect though that they won't have experience of any other food stuffs - or environments so it will take them a few days to get the gist of stuff that is new. Out of our last 6 rescues, only 2 of them ever learnt how to roost - the others used to sit and sleep together on top if their nest boxes.

Aaaah no. I'm up here clearing up and have just disturbed a nest of shrews by pulling up an old nesting box. 99% that they're baby shrews. Will they relocate now that I've disturbed them? Most of them ran asap but one or two took a while so could be very young.

Do they pose any threat?

Edit: I just read that mother shrew spends most of her time foraging as even 2 hours without food can lead to starvation (im the same myself) so assuming she'd be back soon, I left the nest box back for a while to give them a chance to move. Hopefully they will take a hint because I need to move it today as it's where I want to put the henhouse.

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Touch wood (picking up another two on Saturday, YAY!) you're right - no lice at all so far. As I understand it, they are also vaccinated against salmonella.

And all our rescues over the years have been very used to people. I don't like to think about it too much, but if you do think, it's to do with the close proximity of cages/feeding and people walking up and down close to them.

Absolutely layers pellets are a must. You need to expect though that they won't have experience of any other food stuffs - or environments so it will take them a few days to get the gist of stuff that is new. Out of our last 6 rescues, only 2 of them ever learnt how to roost - the others used to sit and sleep together on top if their nest boxes.

On the North Sea island we fed bruised barley and with a very large area to forage in they did very well. Never any weak shells etc

Whispered wrote: »
    Aaaah no. I'm up here clearing up and have just disturbed a nest of shrews by pulling up an old nesting box. 99% that they're baby shrews. Will they relocate now that I've disturbed them? Most of them ran asap but one or two took a while so could be very young.

Do they pose any threat?

Edit: I just read that mother shrew spends most of her time foraging as even 2 hours without food can lead to starvation (im the same myself) so assuming she'd be back soon, I left the nest box back for a while to give them a chance to move. Hopefully they will take a hint because I need to move it today as it's where I want to put the henhouse.

You know, the shrews wouldn't cause any nuisance to the hens, but if you can safely move them I would, as the hens will have no problem eating the shrews. A shame as they are so lovely and getting more scarce.

Have you your nest boxes sorted? Thinking up thread, another reason why we probably have no problems (touch wood) with lice, is that our nest boxes are plastic. I use these:

https://www.diy.com/departments/curver-black-grey-63l-plastic-storage-box/301204_BQ.prd

I got them from argos but looks like they don't do them now. There is a measurement pic on that link as looks like B&Q don't do them either. Still available on Ebay. The size is perfect though. Two fit really comfy if they want company. I have them side by side on a bench. Line with newspaper then lots of hay. The plastic is tough, so I used a soldering iron to make the hen door. Easy access for eggs through that, or via the opening lid to check all ok (or lifting out clucking hens with no rooster!)

They were gone when I went back. I really hope they just moved. We actually have an abundance of them there. They live under a shed closer to the house too

I had wrecked the nest before I realised because it was a knot of dry grass within grass if you know what I mean.

Nest boxes are sorted. Although they're wooden. I've one in their little house and two in a sheltered area under a roof in the coop. I was in a farm shop today where they advised wood shavings rather than straw. So that's what I got. Will that be a problem?

Two hanging waterers and one hanging feeder should be ok for them? I think I'll pop a dish of water and food into the little house too, just for a few days until they're comfortable eating from the feeder.

Tomorrow is the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Hurrah for rescue hens! We got ours last year, half featherless and scared out of their wits but they became such little characters. Bunty is still parading around the place and bossing her two new mates.
    We just put ours in their coop when they arrived and then would round them up in the evenings until they learned to go in themselves - full free range here though!
    Just on the topic of hens though, DBB you with the weird breeds, any idea of this lass? Picked her up at place up the road so there cold be any amount of breeds in her but just find her total blackness rather strange. Always seen blacks with red combs at least.
    (Yes I'm moving a dungheap, hens are delira!:D)

fV6cFgxh.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I'm so glad to have come across this thread!

Iv been wanting to get a few hens here for a while, and one duck, mainly just to have them pottering about in the garden and for my toddler to have the experience of growing up with them, as I did. The eggs will just be a bonus!

I have an area set aside for them, which I should measure ( I just did, the pen area will be approx 8.5*20 ft, with the henhouse probably raised a couple of foot off the ground), but it won't be fully ready and cleared off for another few weeks. And when the dogs are in they will have access to the main back garden and the veg garden (after harvest!!!). I need to build a henhouse for them though, and I was wondering, how many hens would you put in a 4*4 foot henhouse? Has anyone experience of having hens and a duck? Also, where would you recommend getting hens? We will probably get some rescue hens, but I also want a couple of interesting ones, in particular a seabright bantam (love them!!)

As I said I grew up with hens and ducks. My dad has all sorts. It is a bit of a higgledy piggeldy set up in some ways, but he has the room! I need to be a bit more clever.

DBB, iv never come across those feeders that you mentioned in your first post, but they look the job! What kind of dish do you put the oyster shell in?

Cheers!

We've had chickens, ducks and guineas all in together. They all keep to themselves. Each had their own sheds (actually, guineas had own high up perches, ducks had own house near their dug out pond)

Because of that, I would really recommend at least two ducks. They like company.

We put the oyster shell in smaller containers that look like water drinkers. I also (about once a week) pick up a handful and mix it with the layers pellets.

Funny, I saw on the telly today some people with hens and they put the layers pellets in what look like 6 litre water feeders. Seems to work ok.

That is true! I wouldn't be against having more than 1 duck, my main concerns is that they can muddy up the place fairly quickly and I don't know if the pen area I have for them is big enough. But they would be brilliant for slug control in the veg garden and my girl loves ducks! I guess I'll have to sneak the second duck in without my husband knowing ;-)!! What size shed would you be looking at for 2/3 ducks that was separate to the hens? Its funny any time I have to look after the stuff at home, seeing all the ducks waddle home when they realise your there (the have access to my uncles fields!).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Best of luck with your new venture.... They are a great additation to any home. We have a timber dog house that we bought for a
    lab...who actually never slept in it. She sleeps in the house. At one stage we had 5 hens and 4 ducks, all in that one house, all
    laid in the same corner. Saw dust on the floor of it, and slats for the hens to perch on. Thanks to a visit from a fox one night,
    we were wiped out overnight. That is a sad possibility always with fowl. At the moment, we have 2 ducks, and 2 hens,
    sharing that same hut. It was gas during the Beast from the East, to see them all cuddled together. Enjoy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Congratulations on becoming a hen owner. I've kept hens (and a rooster, I live in the sticks) for years, love them.

You mentioned feed, I feed them layers pellets mixed with rolled barley. Since the drought started I've been supplementing their feed with meal worms as the ground is so hard and dry, pickings are slim.

They love dust baths, if you could provide one. Just an area of bare clay, they'll do the rest. They drink a surprising amount of water too. Vegetarian table scraps, heels of bread, leftover pasta etc will never be wasted with hens. Make sure they have some grit too. Sand does the job, although some use crushed seashells, I find sand does the same job.

I've never had rescue hens before so I'm learning from this thread. I usually breed my own, set under a broody bantam.

As for the eggs, there is no egg in any shop on this earth that tastes as good as from your own hens.

Best of luck, keep us updated on your progress.

Just to add, we have two dogs - very effective at keeping the red fella at bay...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Only problem I know of is if you are putting rescue hens into an established flock they need to be fully feathered and healthy looking.if they are baldy in spots and shook looking they can get battered by the others.depends on breeds but a saucy breed will pick on them.
    If they are shook looking get protein into them.sardines and tins of cat food mixed are v good or else whole peanuts.spread peanuts on a tray and bake in oven for 10 minutes cool and feed.
    Renyard,the mink and the pinemartin are the ones to watch for.renyard the biggest culprit
    Meant to say if they are going in with other hens when fully feathers put them on the roost in pitch black dead of night with minimal fuss and they won't pass much heed of them in the morning.if you throw them in during the day they usually go belting and if they draw blood it's hard to integrate them for weeks.once they cut its a fightfest often to the death which can go on for ages.watch for bullying and if it's a problem a scratch feed such as barley or oats can distract them

Just on the topic of hens though, DBB you with the weird breeds, any idea of this lass? Picked her up at place up the road so there cold be any amount of breeds in her but just find her total blackness rather strange. Always seen blacks with red combs at least.
    (Yes I'm moving a dungheap, hens are delira!:D)

Omg I can IMAGINE the excitement at the dungheap... Isn't it hilarious how hens turn into velociraptors when there are worms on the go?
    Would have to think there's Ayam Cemani in your hen missus... She's a lil beauty :o
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayam_Cemani

It's the only breed I can think of with the black pigmentation.

Re oyster shell grit... I got a wee bucket with a lid on it, originally containing oyster shell grit from the agri store... Cut a hole in the side of it, and filled it up to the hole with grit. Works a charm!

Re wood shavings as bedding... Wood shavings make lovely bedding, but, but, but, youve got to be really vigilant for red mite. They LOVE wood. I'm terribly paranoid about the little feckers, because they caught me unawares last year, I'd a major, major job to get rid of them... And despite being pre-emptive this year, we STILL got an infestation of them, though this one I got very early before any harm was done and all is good now. But my dog... I had to get into the mind of the red mite to get on top of the problem. How sad am I? :o

Scaredpanda, I don't keep ducks because of the mess... I do have geese though, I utterly adore them. They are dogs with feathers. It wouldn't be good at all to keep a goose on her own, and I can only assume it's the same for ducks. How about a couple of wee Call Ducks? Cuter than cute, and small enough that your husband won't even notice a second one. Promise :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm feeding mine the crushed up shells of her own eggs*. :) Not that she really needs it, my lot are fully free range in the true sense of the word, so they spend their day pecking at anything and everything, tiny stones included. You should see their crops when it's bedtime! :D

*As a supplement, I mean, not as their only sustenance.

Thanks for all all the info. Very quick update. One has already been christened "cheeky" by the toddler because within 10 mins she was out pecking around. The other two are more standoffish but looking up now I can see two little heads up there. So the third is still in the box but sure they're only there an hour. They don't look too bad, bit bald and red but nothing like I expected.
    Loads of excitement here this morning with their arrival. Little fella is beside himself.

• Advertisement

Ah DBB, I never thought of call ducks! They really are the cutest! I love Indian runners aswell ... They are hilarious to look at running around!

How many hens would you think I'd be able to put into a 4*4 ft house? Although, after taking that measurement last night of the pen area, I could easily go to 4*8ft.

Advertisement