Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue hens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New Home wrote: »
    I'm feeding mine the crushed up shells of her own eggs*. :) Not that she really needs it, my lot are fully free range in the true sense of the word, so they spend their day pecking at anything and everything, tiny stones included. You should see their crops when it's bedtime! :D

*As a supplement, I mean, not as their only sustenance.

We ALWAYS roasted / baked the shells first as if they get a taste for raw eggs the only thing they are fit for is the pot.. :eek:

Peafowl are great... when you get used to the screaming... the chicks are adorable. They hatch with tiny tiaras ..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Graces7 wrote: »
    We ALWAYS roasted / baked the shells first as if they get a taste for raw eggs the only thing they are fit for is the pot.. :eek:

I do remember some hens doing that when I was little, but I've never had this problem with this lot. The shells ARE dry before they gets them, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

New Home wrote: »
    I do remember some hens doing that when I was little, but I've never had this problem with this lot. The shells ARE dry before they gets them, though.

We used to have a rogue magpie robbing the eggs, bit of chicken wire over the gap between the door and the roof put a stop to that. You'll never have a dull moment as a hen owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This is brilliant, I'm so proud of the three girls. They've already designated a spot for scratching and are running around with muddy feet pecking. One of them is eating grass. One runs over when I open the gate. They've been exploring up there, you can see traces of them checking the place out. They put themselves to bed tonight at about 9. I had gone up earlier but they were having a grand time still pecking about so I left them out.

We got 7 eggs over the past 2 days.

I have one of those hanging feeders for them. With the rain the food that is there is damp. Should I be hanging the feeder under cover? I assume damp food wouldn't be great?

One of my dogs scared the life out of them (and my husband) today. I was away, he let the dog out. Dog thundered up like a demon barking. Chickens had a fit and mr w thought dog had managed to get in at them. I hope it didn't do them any harm. Although like I mentioned, perfectly happy when I got back. So at the moment my main worry is the dog. He's great, I love him but His prey drive is mega and all his training switches off. He's never offlead when off our land because it's genuinely like he doesn't hear us once he's excited. At almost 10 yrs old, consistently working on it (he used to be so much worse) I can't see it changing so I'm considering sowing veggies around the coop and fencing them off. So it'll be a protective fence of food :D

• Advertisement

On the NOrth Sea island I used to worry re the cats and y free range hens.. Then one day I saw 2 of them lining up one on each side of a plump hen...

So did the hen. She glared at them then administered a vicious peck to a feline face, and there was never any more trouble.

Hens can be feisty.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭sdp

Whispered wrote: »
    This is brilliant, I'm so proud of the three girls. They've already designated a spot for scratching and are running around with muddy feet pecking. One of them is eating grass. One runs over when I open the gate. They've been exploring up there, you can see traces of them checking the place out. They put themselves to bed tonight at about 9. I had gone up earlier but they were having a grand time still pecking about so I left them out.

We got 7 eggs over the past 2 days.

I have one of those hanging feeders for them. With the rain the food that is there is damp. Should I be hanging the feeder under cover? I assume damp food wouldn't be great?

One of my dogs scared the life out of them (and my husband) today. I was away, he let the dog out. Dog thundered up like a demon barking. Chickens had a fit and mr w thought dog had managed to get in at them. I hope it didn't do them any harm. Although like I mentioned, perfectly happy when I got back. So at the moment my main worry is the dog. He's great, I love him but His prey drive is mega and all his training switches off. He's never offlead when off our land because it's genuinely like he doesn't hear us once he's excited. At almost 10 yrs old, consistently working on it (he used to be so much worse) I can't see it changing so I'm considering sowing veggies around the coop and fencing them off. So it'll be a protective fence of food :D
    your girls sound great! yes do hang feeder undercover, I found even with the rain hat food will get wet and damp and pellets will just stick together , ref your dog, when I got my girls couple of years ago, my biggest worry was my terrier, (aged 9 then) as he's pry drive is huge, from rats mice crows rabbits, magpies , but I wanted the girls to free range and not have to lock him in, so what I done was harness and two leads, one tied around my waist. other to harness. and anything I done with girls, cleaning out pen, collecting eggs, changing water and feed, sitting down and girls coming over to eat out of hand, each time the girls got a treat so did he, not making a fuss if he looked of sniffed at them, just gentle encouragement, girls started to get used to him and vise versa, after about three weeks, leads off, both girls and Tobs happy enough to co own the garden, roll on now, and he still chases rabbits, crows and the rest, running in between the girls to get to them, girls don't even look now, :D when he has a bone the girls will walk up and try to take it from him, so up on the deck he goes,where girls are not allowed! so funny when I call girls in for evening treat, and he's leading them with girls running behind , then he goes back to see if any had not heard, finds them and herds them in. word of caution, hens are addicted! before you know it you'll be adding to your flock :eek:, have fun and enjoy watching your girls learn how to live a more natural life. sorry for long post!

Oh well done Tobs! And you SDP. That sounds great. You're right I think, even this morning he was out with me and ignored them. We, he was still the other side of the fence, he's a big boy, I had my toddler with me and two other dogs, so that's about as close as he could get this morning when I was so distracted. But definite improvement. He's a great boy, just a big silly messer who does everything at 100miles an hour and finds it hard to listen when excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We have two husky cross dogs here. Iv no worries about the older one, coz she spent a good bit of time down at my parents house when she was a pup, so to some extent grew up with hens about the place. For the most part she also listens even when she's hyper. I am bit worried about the pup (well he's 3 now, but our pup!) He eternally optimistic that he can catch the birds flying overhead, or the wagtails bopping about the garden! He also has a natural instinct to pop his front legs up on something if he wants to see onto or over it and he has very good selective hearing when he wants to. The hens will be in the 'back area' of the garden, but still a place he will see them. Iv decided to build a wall out of pallets, backed with chicken wire, to try give the fence a bit more strength against him. And I will slowly work up his tolerance levels to them. It would be great if we could get to the stage of letting them all out together.

Well, folks,I may be joining you in the hen rescue business... hoping to take in a couple that have been left homeless here.

I have the big dog crate and hay

Just need help catching them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Do they always peck at feet? I'd love to have hens out in the garden during the day, but not if they peck at children's bare feet, which I have seen my friend's rescue hens do.

Also, we lost birds to a pine marten (we suppose) a few years back (pigeons not hens) but we didn't have a dog at the time - now we have a sheepdog is there any chance she could warn us of something going on at night, other than by leaving her actually outside near the hens? I don't think I'd want to do that as she's a little afraid in the dark I think, she barks when left outside late at night. Although maybe the hens would be company for her and she'd be happy enough minding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

It all depends on the dog tbh. How good is your one for noticing noises outside?

We had a little terrier growing up. One evening she was particularly restless and wanted to go out when she was only after being let in. Seconds after closing the door after her we heard this almighty ruckus outside, we had a bit of a tag game between the front and back doors to see what exactly was causing it, but after a couple of laps we realised that the little terrier was hanging off a foxes neck.... It had been out the back about to attack dad's hens and ducks. She heard and went into fight mode with the fox!

On another occasion a few years later, dad woke up to sad situation whereby a group of foxes had gotten into the henhouse/enclosure and killed all but 5 hens and 1 duck on him over night (he had roughly 50 hens and chickens and 10 ducks at the time). My uncle was finding dead hens up his land for days after. There was thick gorse bushes at the back of the uncles land that was a haven for foxes and they reckon that the foxes wanted the kill but we're not hungry. That little terrier had passed away and dispite having two other terriers in the house and 2 gun dogs out the back, they never kicked up a fuss.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Do they always peck at feet? I'd love to have hens out in the garden during the day, but not if they peck at children's bare feet, which I have seen my friend's rescue hens do.

Also, we lost birds to a pine marten (we suppose) a few years back (pigeons not hens) but we didn't have a dog at the time - now we have a sheepdog is there any chance she could warn us of something going on at night, other than by leaving her actually outside near the hens? I don't think I'd want to do that as she's a little afraid in the dark I think, she barks when left outside late at night. Although maybe the hens would be company for her and she'd be happy enough minding them?

More likely mink. I lost hens to them way back which is why I stopped keeping them. Pine martens tend to go for small prey.Mink are vicious.

You need very secure shelter at night. VERY secure.

Well, folks,I may be joining you in the hen rescue business... hoping to take in a couple that have been left homeless here.

I have the big dog crate and hay

Just need help catching them!

Progress.. My neighbour has agreed to catch them ...And their house is ready... Dog crate, covered with oilcloth weighed down with rocks and bungee ropes, hay inside, in a sheltered quiet corner ...

Am so angry at the situation that the work lugging stuff around in the wind and rain did me good!

Well small toes do look like.... worm! Pink and wriggling! ;)

And they are very destructive of gardens if not confined. Not as bad as ducks...and peacocks..

On the North Sea island i realised I was going to have to cage the livestock OR cage my vegetables so I invested in a fruit cage .. took it down every autumn as the gales bent the metal poles... :eek:

More likely mink. I lost hens to them way back which is why I stopped keeping them. Pine martens tend to go for small prey.Mink are vicious.

We thought it was, it had barbed wire up at the top to stop anything climbing up and getting in by the pigeons' own entrance (not locked in, unlike hens) which is one reason we are sure it wasn't a fox. Whatever it was seems to have climbed up a nearby tree and jumped onto the shelf at the birds' entrance and got in that way. It even took the eggs, not a speck of them left.

I didn't really want any more pigeons or birds at all after that, but now I find I'm still tempted by free range hens, I saw some pottering around a garden the other day when I was out walking the dog and it looked idyllic.

(If it's not indiscreet, where as the North Sea Island you mention - Germany?)

Here we have a pen which the previous owner used to raise pheasants for release in. So its like Fort Knox. 4 sides of those construction fences, dug into the ground, lined with chicken wire with very small holes. Then a roof of wire netting. I *think* it's safe.
    And there are three dogs on the land, although all in at night two are barkers.

They're fab little things. Funnily even my husband, who isn't an animal person, is enjoying them too. "Finally a useful pet" he said (conveniently forgetting the time big old dog stopped people breaking in) :D

We thought it was, it had barbed wire up at the top to stop anything climbing up and getting in by the pigeons' own entrance (not locked in, unlike hens) which is one reason we are sure it wasn't a fox. Whatever it was seems to have climbed up a nearby tree and jumped onto the shelf at the birds' entrance and got in that way. It even took the eggs, not a speck of them left.

I didn't really want any more pigeons or birds at all after that, but now I find I'm still tempted by free range hens, I saw some pottering around a garden the other day when I was out walking the dog and it looked idyllic.

(If it's not indiscreet, where as the North Sea Island you mention - Germany?)

No off the top of Scotland! ;) Abundant isles up there...Been longing to return to island life so here I am!

You need to totally enclose the hens. I know, a hassle.

Here we have a pen which the previous owner used to raise pheasants for release in. So its like Fort Knox. 4 sides of those construction fences, dug into the ground, lined with chicken wire with very small holes. Then a roof of wire netting. I *think* it's safe.

They're fab little things. Funnily even my husband, who isn't an animal person, is enjoying them too. "Finally a useful pet" he said (conveniently forgetting the time big old dog stopped people breaking in) :D

Sounds perfect. :D

MY hens are here! My neighours caught them in all the rain, bless them, and they are delighted with the house I have made.. the men I mean as well as the hens... 2 fine brown hens...

I have posted on "where are you now"on after hours.. After I heard that the cockerel had died I checked the "owner" and there was no way to leave these last two down at the pier with no shelter. NO WAY... convicted for terrible cruelty and forbidden to keep animals ever again. NB a squatter not an islander..

So they are safe here now. Cats are terrified and dog is hysterical! They will stay where they are a few days as they can be territorial .. I heard one up here the other night seeking food from about half a mile away .

We are so few here and folk have done their best to feed them. So everyone is glad they are safe.

• Advertisement

Nothing more peaceful that the crooning of a contented hen....Dog has quietened and the hens have eaten every scrap I left them.

Yesterday one grabbed a piece of bread and ran to the back of the pen...Almost wept.

Seems we cannot prevent abuse but we can care for the victims as so many of this forum know.

Every critter here is rescued. The hens are so welcome! Cannot express how welcome they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would not like to take any bets on whether or not a pine marten will pass up an opportunity to kill hens... They absolutely will kill hens, and with the same indiscrimination that mink do.
    Pine martens and mink are very, very difficult to secure free range hens against due to their size, ability to easily slip under fences, ability to drop down out of trees. Pheasant pens can be made more secure with netting roof and buried boundary fencing... That's not often plausible for the free range henkeeper who generally has a much bigger area to secure. It's not impossible, but needs a lot of planning and forethought.

Are they laying well? longing for the first egg here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Sorry, but this is simpy just not true. Pine marten like chicken just as much as mink do. In fact, where plentiful, they are more likely to be the culprit of fowl kills. They are as vicious, or not as vicious as mink are. Both animals are just doing what comes naturally to them, and won't pass up an easy meal. Only difference really, is one is native and admired, the other none native and hated. So let's call a spade a spade, shale we.

Laying very well so far. Consistently 3 eggs every day. Although they're not using boxes. Just laying in their sleeping area. I'd imagine there might be a slow down for a little while?

There are pine martens around here. They used to try get into the pen when there were pheasants, apparently he never lost one. But it does beg the question, what exactly is a "free range hen". For example the pen I have is maybe 3/4 the size of the back garden in my old house. But they are still penned in. I'm not sure if I should be aiming to have the wholly free range in time or if they're going to be happy enough in there.

Edit: dropping out of trees :o there are trees overhanging the run. Feck. Hope the net roof will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

A free range hen is one that can do just that - free range. "Access to grass" seems to be the commercial egg producers phrase to sell their "Free Range Eggs". I have no idea of the quality of life those hens have, hopefully better than their poor Battery Hen relatives.

When we started having hens here, they were always kept in a medium sized penned run - about 15ftx15ft. Then they went free range - out on a couple of acres, put in coops at night. Then there was a fox incident, so it was back into the penned area, but we opened their run into a disused vegetable garden - about 90ft x 90ft - the veg garden was so huge they couldnt impact the amount of vegetation in there (around 6 hens usually) so lots of greenery.

I never could tell/detect a difference in the quality of the eggs we got from those 3 stages of their runs. My hens get kitchen scraps, mixed grain, organic or very high quality pellets or mash, and their free-range diet.

My neighbour - 99 years old :) - has kept approx 24 hens in a run for decades. There isnt a blade of grass/weed in there, probably no insect life either! Just bare earth. My friend says the eggs from these hens are NOT good - Ive had them, and can detect no difference.

Im either not very discerning, or there isnt that much difference in the quality of egg produced - any opinions?

(The only difference I can detect is that hens that are penned are MAD to get out. Those who are free range if ever penned, never seem to settle very well, and spend a lot of time pacing at the gate. )

First egg! Loudly announced ...

aonb wrote: »
    A free range hen is one that can do just that - free range. "Access to grass" seems to be the commercial egg producers phrase to sell their "Free Range Eggs". I have no idea of the quality of life those hens have, hopefully better than their poor Battery Hen relatives.

When we started having hens here, they were always kept in a medium sized penned run - about 15ftx15ft. Then they went free range - out on a couple of acres, put in coops at night. Then there was a fox incident, so it was back into the penned area, but we opened their run into a disused vegetable garden - about 90ft x 90ft - the veg garden was so huge they couldnt impact the amount of vegetation in there (around 6 hens usually) so lots of greenery.

I never could tell/detect a difference in the quality of the eggs we got from those 3 stages of their runs. My hens get kitchen scraps, mixed grain, organic or very high quality pellets or mash, and their free-range diet.

My neighbour - 99 years old :) - has kept approx 24 hens in a run for decades. There isnt a blade of grass/weed in there, probably no insect life either! Just bare earth. My friend says the eggs from these hens are NOT good - Ive had them, and can detect no difference.

Im either not very discerning, or there isnt that much difference in the quality of egg produced - any opinions?

(The only difference I can detect is that hens that are penned are MAD to get out. Those who are free range if ever penned, never seem to settle very well, and spend a lot of time pacing at the gate. )

Interesting. I can tell the difference which surprised me. On supermarketl cheapest then a neighbour gave me some free range and the difference.

Lately I have been getting "mixed size" from supervalu and they taste like free range. They also have a fair proportion of double yolks . They may be size rejects from a local producer.

The shop eggs we had on the North Sea island when our hens were off lay were dreadful. They kept them in an old mushroom place wiith no grass or natural light and the yokes were white.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you want to get detailed on descriptions, hens that have a more-or-less uncontained life are called "open range", then there are various levels of "free range" which denotes poultry that has access to various levels of open-air. You can look up the definitions on the Dept of Ag website. So whispered, yours are free range, but not open range.
    No nutritional differences have been rcorded between intensively reared (we don't have battery hens in Ireland any more) and free range eggs, but to me, the big difference is the consistency. There's also that satisfied feeling that you're eating an ethical egg!
    Whispered, are your ladies making any attempt to roost on a perch?

• Advertisement

I didn't know there were no longer battery hens these days - I have a horrible memory of visiting a nearby battery hen farm as a child (I think my aunt took me, not sure why now) and it was awful.

Are they banned in NI too, do you know? (This was in NI) Perhaps it's even a Europe wide thing? It was clear to me even as a child that it was cruel to the birds.

Advertisement