Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pigsback doing Leopardstown Christmas ticket offer as usual, save €20 on two tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Jaysus what is it with jockeys and cocaine lol

Low in calories.

10 Irish jockeys who have been caught in Ireland over the last 3 years. Its a big problem.

3 have got their licences back this year. There were lads testing positive for MDMA not so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

STB. wrote: »
    Low in calories.

10 Irish jockeys who have been caught in Ireland over the last 3 years. Its a big problem.

3 have got their licences back this year. There were lads testing positive for MDMA not so long ago.
    Ray Dawson who is now riding over in the UK tested positive for MDMA in past (his drink was spiked :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Only a matter of time before we see a racecourse in Ireland close - a few different factors like this are not helping their cause:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ladbrokes-blames-betting-tax-hike-for-plan-to-shut-oncourse-bookies-37520712.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Someone more in the know than me may know the answer to this. But are on course shops not considered part of the on-course bookmaking activity and so tax exempt?

marvin80 wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before we see a racecourse in Ireland close - a few different factors like this are not helping their cause:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ladbrokes-blames-betting-tax-hike-for-plan-to-shut-oncourse-bookies-37520712.html

You'd imagine attendances would be a huge factor? At the Champions Day in Leopardstown back in Setpember there was few Paddy Power tickets, few Spin 103.8 Student tickets and someone else doing freebies and it was by no means packed.

Im not sure about the betting tax increase and whether that has a factor in the closure of race courses.

To me Id say it's the bodies coming through the gates. As Gavin Shels alluded to above the bodies coming into the Champions day meeting despite freebies was low.

One thing that strikes me is the lowly amount of youngsters (the future) that come in. At a raceday in Wexford recently it was a poor turnout but what struck me was the lack of youngsters about. They will be the future of the sport and if they are not encouraged to go racing and become involved in the sport Im afraid the numbers will keep dwindling.

I dont mean to get them involved in gambling activities but to get them in and give them a memorable day out, a day that would encourage them to return in future. Swings and slides and that carry on they can have anywhere. Maybe an enclosure for coming close to horses and jockeys, grooming, feeding etc as well as jockeys giving talks/presentations (child friendly type).

If we cant get youngsters in at that age it may prove more difficult as they get older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

You're correct TheTormet - I don't see many young people at some of the meetings I've gone to the past few years. The festivals down the country like Listowel have seen a drop-off in attendances as well I'd say.

Again HRI need to step-up and solve these issues.

From the article - Ladbrokes might be exaggerating but if true, for the likes of Clonmel it would be a blow not to have a bookmaker on site and a loss of valuable revenue form renting the shop and the sponsorship of races.

"the costs of operating the on-course betting shops as a result of the increase will make them unviable. She claimed it's unlikely that any other operator will take them over once Ladbrokes' contracts expire, unless they want to operate them on a loss-making basis.

"I would be surprised if anyone else goes into them," she said. "No one would be doing it to make money."

Ladbrokes operates betting shops at eight racecourses: Galway, Limerick, Killarney, Punchestown, Listowel, Navan, Gowran Park and Clonmel. Ms Murphy said that existing contracts on some of those on-course betting shops expire later this year or early next year, while Punchestown runs until 2020. She said that Ladbrokes pays either a fixed rent or profit share to operate the outlets. The contracts are held with the individual racecourses.

She acknowledged that smaller racecourses may come under pressure as a result of the decision to cease race sponsorship at courses where it has betting shops."

marvin80 wrote: »
    You're correct TheTormet - I don't see many young people at some of the meetings I've gone to the past few years. The festivals down the country like Listowel have seen a drop-off in attendances as well I'd say.

Again HRI need to step-up and solve these issues.

From the article - Ladbrokes might be exaggerating but if true, for the likes of Clonmel it would be a blow not to have a bookmaker on site and a loss of valuable revenue form renting the shop and the sponsorship of races.

"the costs of operating the on-course betting shops as a result of the increase will make them unviable. She claimed it's unlikely that any other operator will take them over once Ladbrokes' contracts expire, unless they want to operate them on a loss-making basis.

"I would be surprised if anyone else goes into them," she said. "No one would be doing it to make money."

Ladbrokes operates betting shops at eight racecourses: Galway, Limerick, Killarney, Punchestown, Listowel, Navan, Gowran Park and Clonmel. Ms Murphy said that existing contracts on some of those on-course betting shops expire later this year or early next year, while Punchestown runs until 2020. She said that Ladbrokes pays either a fixed rent or profit share to operate the outlets. The contracts are held with the individual racecourses.

She acknowledged that smaller racecourses may come under pressure as a result of the decision to cease race sponsorship at courses where it has betting shops."

What she doesnt mention is that on course bets are not taxed currently and i dont believe that will change. What i want to know is are shops on a course different from bookies with a pitch there? Maybe that is the case, but i wasnt aware that it was.

I suspect it is a PR exercise from ladbrokes to try and try and get some pity on the tax rise.

Slipping attendance figures is going to be a problem indeed. I was at my local track Tipperary during the summer with some very nice flat races on there with some nice horses running. There was probably 2 or 3 people to every bookie there and it was a nice summers evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Have said before. Freebees to young adults/ students should not be the target. They have little interest in the racing and with the amount of alcohol/other substances on board, won’t remember much.

Attracting families in, with children , is where the seed is sown and certainly where I got interested in racing for all the right reasons. A family atmosphere would be much more sustainable than the current model. Look at Galway Plate day, abandoned after it was taken over during the boom by hoardes of drunken cheap suits /skirts. Moving it back a few hours made zilch difference weather aside. It’s a rot that will continue.

Ladbrokes? Publicity stunt maybe but the model is broken with most moving online anyway . It’s an online business so has little future on course sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Just got an email from Betfair to say BOG is now only available from 8am on the day of the race.

I sometimes place a bet the evening before if I know Im caught up the following day. BOG was a nice concession. Ill be not using them now if betting the night before, I just hope others dont follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

TheTorment wrote: »
    Just got an email from Betfair to say BOG is now only available from 8am on the day of the race.

I sometimes place a bet the evening before if I know Im caught up the following day. BOG was a nice concession. Ill be not using them now if betting the night before, I just hope others dont follow suit.
    This has been case with Ladbrokes too for a while I think

In fairness BOG is a ridiculously good concession as it is. 8am is still a fair compromise.

I assume PP will go the same way on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

This has been case with Ladbrokes too for a while I think

and betfred

am sure there's a few more

Not racing related but thought punters would appreciate it. Sheer madness

https://www.pocketfives.com/articles/rory-young-reveals-details-of-100k-pitch-black-bathroom-prop-bet-621525/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Not racing related but thought punters would appreciate it. Sheer madness

https://www.pocketfives.com/articles/rory-young-reveals-details-of-100k-pitch-black-bathroom-prop-bet-621525/

Wow. He will never come out right

kiers47 wrote: »
    What she doesnt mention is that on course bets are not taxed currently and i dont believe that will change. What i want to know is are shops on a course different from bookies with a pitch there? Maybe that is the case, but i wasnt aware that it was.

I suspect it is a PR exercise from ladbrokes to try and try and get some pity on the tax rise.

Slipping attendance figures is going to be a problem indeed. I was at my local track Tipperary during the summer with some very nice flat races on there with some nice horses running. There was probably 2 or 3 people to every bookie there and it was a nice summers evening.

On course bookies pay 0.25% tax. I think the tote may be exempt ?

On course shops I believe are different and are regarded as a retail shop. The contracts with each course differ in terms of straightforward rent OR profit share. There are various conditions attached to these franchise shops on course including that singles for on course races cannot be taken.

STB. wrote: »
    On course bookies pay 0.25% tax. I think the tote may be exempt ?

On course shops I believe are different and are regarded as a retail shop. The contracts with each course differ in terms of straightforward rent OR profit share. There are various conditions attached to these franchise shops on course including that singles for on course races cannot be taken.

According to the revenue on course bets OR tote bets are tax exempt.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/betting-duty.aspx

• Advertisement

Yeah its a levy rather than a tax. The Bookmaker Licence is issued by Revenue, the on course betting permit by HRI.

The HRI collects 0.25% of bookmaker turnover. It used to be 0.5%.

https://www.finance.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/180328-Gambling-Sector-Risk-Assessment-March-2018.pdf

Yes this is completely different than revenue collected tax that we were discussing and is rising for off course bets.
    That tax goes straight to the revenue.

Yes this is completely different than revenue collected tax that we were discussing and is rising for off course bets.
    That tax goes straight to the revenue.

For sure.

I was talking to an independent off course bookmaker (not many left) recently and he was of the opinion that the increase will kill what little independents are left in the game.

Its not just the tax. The big betting firms own large percentages of the TV firms...........

akelly02 wrote: »
    Wow. He will never come out right

Andy Defrense did a month in solidarity in the Shawshank and came out of it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Ur man Jerry Hannon the Irish commentator on ATR is starting to annoy me.

“They’re spread right across the track”
    “It’s nip and tuck”

He needs to learn a few new lines the clown instead of using these every race

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything about Henderson’s Daphne Du Clos?? Looked a lovely bumper performer last year, hasn’t been seen since

Anyone hear anything about Henderson’s Daphne Du Clos?? Looked a lovely bumper performer last year, hasn’t been seen since

She had a setback last season which kept her off the track. Fairly sure i read recently that she is back in training but i cant seem to find where i read it. You'd imagine the mares novice will be the target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

She had a setback last season which kept her off the track. Fairly sure i read recently that she is back in training but i cant seem to find where i read it. You'd imagine the mares novice will be the target.

Could have been on one of the stable tours? Here she is in late Sept anyway.

https://twitter.com/JamesBurnRP/status/1043811700464635904

"She has had a year off but she in good form and schooled last week. I am hoping she will be top-class"

Stable Tour October 2018 (http://www.attheraces.com/stable-tours/nicky-henderson)

• Advertisement

I hope it was very good money that Ballygallon Stud in Kilkenny got for IrishCorrespondent. With Halford last year. Won the HK 20mill Hong Kong Vase this morning.

Before I put them up on Toutless/Adverts or get an 80% credit note, would anyone be interested in a pair of Pigsback tickets to any ONE day of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival 26th - 29th Dec 2018? Bought for €41.44 (including administration charge).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Are PP doing the free ticket promo again this year for the 27th in Leop?

The Mig wrote: »
    Are PP doing the free ticket promo again this year for the 27th in Leop?

Believe they've been done already and tickets texted out to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Missed this. Was there criteria for getting the tickets?

I'm a very small better with them so probably not someone that would get them anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ah cheers Gav. I've my membership but it was for a group of pals who were looking to go

ustari wrote: »
    Missed this. Was there criteria for getting the tickets?

I'm a very small better with them so probably not someone that would get them anyway.

Text a number which is on the screens in store and they respond with a MMS a few days later for "winners" - same as always afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Ah right, I'm never in a shop so makes sense I never saw anything about it.

FYI - Ryanairs Twitter page giving away two tickets to Ryanair Hurdle Day.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

BumperD wrote: »

Thanks that was a great read.

Before I put them up on Toutless/Adverts or get an 80% credit note, would anyone be interested in a pair of Pigsback tickets to any ONE day of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival 26th - 29th Dec 2018? Bought for €41.44 (including administration charge).

You still have these?

Be interested if you do :)

You still have these?

Be interested if you do :)

I do - will PM you now.

I do - will PM you now.

Excellent

Excellent

Can reply to your PM mate

"TheTorment has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space"

Can reply to your PM mate

"TheTorment has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space"

Should be ok now

• Advertisement

Decent card at ascot tomorrow. The listed finale looks above average, thought chapmanshype was as good as any bar kings filly, I’ll have a nibble at 14/1

Advertisement