Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Please - Astec 63 - Installation/Engineering Manual

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Forgewire

As I understand I would need engineer password to reset line fault. I can’t use default engineer password 1174, it seems changed, but I can enter engineer mode using (clear) (fn) 0 (alarm code). Is it the same? Should alarm company made available engineer code to me?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You shouldn't need the engineer code.Clear Fn 0 and user code just grants engineer access.
    Its up to the individual installation company how they handle engineer codes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's up to the customer and the installer to agree on how to go ahead with engineering codes upfront.

It's a grey area around getting that code afterwards. I wouldn't be hopeful of getting it.

However it's your system, you can work on your own system, however it's unreasonable to expect an installer to standover changes you might make.

The company may not want to give it you and stand over the certificate. They may want to call out and give you another one just for you in case they use the same one all the time.

To buy alarm without engineer code is the like buying laptop from Currys without root password. What if company that installed alarm go out of business or I want another company to work with alarn?
    Is there a way to reset this engineer password? How contractor different from the one who installed the alarm suppose to fix it without engineer code?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Forgewire wrote:
    To buy alarm without engineer code is the like buying laptop from Currys without root password. What if company that installed alarm go out of business or I want another company to work with alarn? Is there a way to reset this engineer password? How contractor different from the one who installed the alarm suppose to fix it without engineer code?

It's not really the same.

It's closer to demanding the set-up configuration code so you can change it yourself and still go back afterwards and complain if it does not work

Anyway. I've always had the codes for my alarms.

I've never had a cert I never look for the discount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Stoners reply is pretty much spot on.
    The argument about wanting to change provider/installer is a poor one also.
    Any good installer can reset panels anyway. If they can't your better off not going with them anyway as their experience of your system is limited.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Stoners reply is pretty much spot on.
    The argument about wanting to change provider/installer is a poor one also.

What’s poor about it if cowboy contractor isn’t in business anymore?
    Also read a manual page 29
    “Engineer Lock

No

Warning

Cannot return to factory setting by powering up the panel with the factory link off. Only way to default the panel is by command 94 in engineer mode No Powering up the panel with the FACTORY LINK (see Figure 1) off will return the panel to factory setting If engineer lock is programmed, the panel settings can NEVER be changed if the engineer code is lost”

What a “good installer” would do with this?

I don't need to read the manual. I know it inside out. Have been dealing with Astec since its inception & still am.
    A good installer would default the panel.:)
    A bad installer will try sell you a new one.:(

I don't need to read the manual. I know it inside out. Have been dealing with Astec since its inception & still am.
    A good installer would default the panel.:)
    A bad installer will try sell you a new one.:(

Please tell me how ro default panel locked with engineer password

I'm afraid we would not be allowed post such information on this forum. You would be basically informing would be intruders how to reset and disarm the system with the default codes.
    Its a job for the professionals.
    As I said any good installer can default and reset panels so not having an engineer code does not stop you getting another company to look after your alarm.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid we would not be allowed post such information on this forum. You would be basically informing would be intruders how to reset and disarm the system with the default codes.
    Its a job for the professionals.
    As I said any good installer can default and reset panels so not having an engineer code does not stop you getting another company to look after your alarm.
    Ok, than can you tell me how to make Astec work with SIRO?

It will only work if SIRO can give you out an analogue phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭b318isp

Anywhere stocking main entry/exit contacts?

I've tried a few of our local electrical suppliers which had them before, but no joy.

Is there a GSD equivalent thta could be used?

You can't get Astec contacts anymore.
    You can use a standard contact wired with 2 680ohm resistors in paralell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭b318isp

OK thanks. I have a good stock of resistors - I'll grab a standard contact then.

b318isp wrote: »
    OK thanks. I have a good stock of resistors - I'll grab a standard contact then.

I'm sure you will be fine with it. If you need any help give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sparks411

I have a tamper lid fault after the cover came of the side of my house i have put it back on but fault is still showing and it says call engineer

Do you mean the cover came off the panel??
    What's the exact message on the keypad and what number is beside call engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I'd like to install an external smart cam pointing down at my terrace door. I'm terrible at DIY though. I plan on buying the camera .. a nest outdoor or something similar and getting someone to install it.
    If you can recommend someone who you have used and done a neat job, could you share their contact details by PM. Based in North Dublin city. Thanks

Advertisement