Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are lgbt folk totally against the pope?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭normaldude

Sorry moderator maybe I should have said‘some’ of the lgbt community from the start as you can see I just usually post on important issues, not on whether panti bliss makeup:)

Gosh, you have some serious issue with panti bliss!

I am not gay, not an I practising Catholic. But it seems obvious why some LGBT people have a problem with the Pope.
    He is the head of a church that basically tells them what they do, sexually, is a sin. It doesnt believe in gay marriage.
    So, how hard is that to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

normaldude wrote: »
    Sorry moderator maybe I should have said‘some’ of the lgbt community from the start as you can see I just usually post on important issues, not on whether panti bliss makeup:)

Now you're just embarrassing yourself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod Warning Snide remarks aren't welcome. This is the only warning I'm giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

The impression I get, mostly running and speaking within non-LGBT+ circles on a day-to-day basis, is that the percentage of non-LGBT+ people being opposed to the Catholic Church is about the same as the percentages you'll find in LGBT+ circles.

Can't say I see a significant division of public opinion based on the demographics you are trying to imply there is - i.e. being LGBT+ makes you more likely to be anti-RCC. It is quite clear from the last few days, a large majority in Irish society are quite frankly, sick of the church and its associated abuses of our people throughout the last few centuries - which was also reflected quite well in recent referendums - Equality, Repeal the 8th - both of which went against Papal wishes.

And with that in mind, this whole thread seems kind of pointless.

People forget the teaching of the church go back 1000s of years, how long do lgbt groups exist?

I don't think anyone "forgets" that, but it sounds as if you think the longevity of one is all that's needed to give it superiority over the other.

If so, well then yes, the church outdates LGBT groups by some distance. It does not however outdate LGBT people who have been around since the dawn of evolution at least. After all, there had to be gay people there first in order for the people who wrote the old and new testaments to feel such vitriolic hatred towards them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

Just watching RTÉ and high level lgbt speaker totally against pope visit, now I don’t agree with this, and what gives him the right to represent lgbt folk, can’t remember the guys name but seemed v bitter!

Because the Pope thinks I have a mental disorder that can be cured.

"When it [LGBT traits] shows itself from childhood, there is a lot that can be done through psychiatry, to see how things are.... ignoring a child who showed homosexual tendencies was an "error of fatherhood or motherhood".

Guardian Article, 28-08-2018

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue. Maybe the Pope didnt mean what he said. Maybe the Vatican was right to delete the text from their official response.

Maybe its a real insight into what they think of me, who I am and what my relationship represents.....intrinsically disordered and suffering from a curable mental illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Because the Pope thinks I have a mental disorder that can be cured.

Guardian Article, 28-08-2018

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue. Maybe the Pope didnt mean what he said. Maybe the Vatican was right to delete the text from their official response.

Maybe its a real insight into what they think of me, who I am and what my relationship represents.....intrinsically disordered and suffering from a curable mental illness.

I don't know why people are still surprised. The RCC and most christian churches are very homophobic. Always have been, it's almost like it's in their "constitution" or something :eek::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

An interesting read into the study of attitudes of some towards the LGBT community. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/roots/overview.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well he didn’t say he was abused! And it wasn’t the pope that pulled up his altarboy gown, can’t paint whole organization with the one brush!

Well that's where you're wrong. If you are the CEO of a company, head of a country, chair of some organization etc. you are RESPONSIBLE for what goes on.
    People forget the teaching of the church go back 1000s of years, how long do lgbt groups exist?

I'm sure you have a point here, but not sure what it is. Do you think that being old means that one is righteous?

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Max Krzyzanowski or something like that. Very irish name that.:eek:

coming over here, stealing our gay men.

Just watching RTÉ and high level lgbt speaker totally against pope visit, now I don’t agree with this, and what gives him the right to represent lgbt folk, can’t remember the guys name but seemed v bitter!

Well to prefix this I'll just say the basis of opposition starts with following facts(which are irrelevant to whether one is gay or not):

1) It is completely, totally and utterly implausible that a being powerful enough to create the entire universe out of nothing in 6 days would feel the need to appoint one amoeba-like creature to represent it's views to other amoeba. If such a being wanted you to know it's wishes, you would know. Indeed if such a being existed, it would hardly expect creatures as primitive as us to be aware of it's existence

2) It is utterly implausible the same being sent a part it's self, or it's 'son' to Earth at a random time in human history and decreed that every human born there-after (within reasonable geographic distance) be a follower of said 'son' under pain of eternal suffering after death.

3) It is plausible that in times of rampant illiteracy and no social order that the smartest people thought of ways to create order, and a nice profit for themselves in the process, using the threat of the afterlife, because a peasants current life was so unbearable.

With the above in mind the surviving Catholic institution today is likely a direct product of wealthy people trying to control the hoards of poor people in centuries gone by rather than an organization that communicates with a being of incomprehensible power.

In modern times the Catholic Church has contributed substantially to a culture of ignorance in Ireland surrounding lgbt people.
    Male homosexuality remained a crime in Ireland as late as 1993, not because there was any real reason to keep it a crime but because there were not enough educated people in the country to refute the ignorance propagated by the Catholic Church and assorted ignoramii.

Is the Catholic Church 100% responsible for the treatment of gay people to date? no it is not, but it provided a cultural backdrop to which we were sinners, and criminals and the two were one of the same in a Catholic society.

The Catholic Church will probably change it's tune, it might even do same sex weddings, because the old ideology isn't profitable anymore and they need a new income generator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well, can you imagine a situation where someone arrived over representing an organisation that continuously said that being from ... ehhh let's say Kerry, or having blue eyes, red hair or that you were black or some other random personal characteristic that was part of you and who you are meant that you were somehow 'intrinsically disordered' and that had spent centuries oppressing people like you, and had only barely moved onto mildly ostracising you in recent decades.

Then imagine that this organisation then came out with a whole load of totally bizarre and utterly self-contradicting statements about how much it loved you, but just hated everything about what you were and did.

Then various random people kept wondering why you were annoyed with this organisation and were somehow quite confused and even shocked that you could possibly see it in a negative light.

It's a bit like the way some people in England have absolutely no comprehension of the 19th century famine and bias against Irish people in all sorts of contexts and just assume that we have some kind of totally irrational chip on our shoulder due to our mad anti-English bigotry.

The Catholic Church or any other organisation, can't just detach itself from its relatively recent history and unpleasant aspects of its present day policies and expect absolute respect.

Respect is earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭normaldude

Sorry not been on here in a while, but just recently read about the last pope John Paul ( I bet lot a guys on here are jp if born in 1979) and how he was the catalyst of peace in the north!
    Look I’m a gay guy, not really into the whole scene, or my pet hate panti bliss, but I do believe in good in life, and love, and happiness and living good positive life!
    The reason I started this trend was all the negative thoughts I saw on that RTÉ show, but we seem to have gotten good positive coverage in the world media from the popes visit and as a result and it made a lot of people happy.
    I can see why lots of gay folk don’t like the pope, but u got to admit he’s more important than panti bliss (apparently queen of Ireland 😂😂)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry not been on here in a while, but just recently read about the last pope John Paul and how he was the catalyst of peace in the north!

Not even remotely true.

The positive coverage for Ireland was how few people turned up this time compared to 1979...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry not been on here in a while, but just recently read about the last pope John Paul ( I bet lot a guys on here are jp if born in 1979) and how he was the catalyst of peace in the north!
    Look I’m a gay guy, not really into the whole scene, or my pet hate panti bliss, but I do believe in good in life, and love, and happiness and living good positive life!
    The reason I started this trend was all the negative thoughts I saw on that RTshow, but we seem to have gotten good positive coverage in the world media from the popes visit and as a result and it made a lot of people happy.
    I can see why lots of gay folk don’t like the pope, but u got to admit he’s more important than panti bliss (apparently queen of Ireland ����)

Not being funny but if you believe in living a good positive life then whats the problem. Some people like Panti. Some dont. I mean its kinda weird you're berating many LGBT people for being negatively obsessed about the Pope yet you have a very strong negative obsession about Panti and about people liking Panti.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sorry not been on here in a while, but just recently read about the last pope John Paul ( I bet lot a guys on here are jp if born in 1979) and how he was the catalyst of peace in the north
    Er.... No

Come on...do you even slightly believe there is any truth in that?

I am from Northern Ireland, and grew up during the troubles, I honestly don't think even the most staunch of catholics would believe that guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

The reason I started this trend was all the negative thoughts I saw on that RTÉ show, but we seem to have gotten good positive coverage in the world media from the popes visit and as a result and it made a lot of people happy.
    I can see why lots of gay folk don’t like the pope, but u got to admit he’s more important than panti bliss (apparently queen of Ireland ����)

I think you have mentioned Panti about 15 times throughout this thread... twice there in the same post. Either obsessed yourself or...Veda by any chance? :pac:

JP2 had 0% impact on the NI peace process
    I can see why lots of gay folk don’t like the pope, but u got to admit he’s more important than panti bliss (apparently queen of Ireland 😂😂)

Ok if you think so. I'm sure lots of people think the opposite but that's all quite subjective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Many homosexual folks aren't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread is done to death, stop trying to revive it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement