Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a commute is too much

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

threein99 wrote: »
    You are a cyclist so your opinion doesn't count :)

joking

Cyclists are real people too!! :mad::mad::mad::p

I used to drive from Tallaght to Athlone and back for work everyday. Used to take anything up to an hour and twenty minutes each way, depending on traffic.

Bleedin' nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Graces7 wrote: »
    in my first teaching job, i left home at 7.15, caught a local bus, then connected with the school bus for an hour's drive.

Reversed after school and home around 6 pm or.later. Both ways laden with exercise books etc.

Learned to drive and got a mini in sheer self defence.

Commuting is...

Home by 6pm and you think that's bad. Ah teachers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

45 minute cycle.
    Or an 10 minute drive, 30 minute tram and 5 minute walk.

Great knowing you'll always be home either side of the hour mark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Commuting from clondalkin to leixlip. 3 buses, 2km walking. 2 1/2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Public transport across 22km from Harold's Cross to the farthest reaches of Howth. 90 minutes door-to-door in the morning and up to two hours door-to-door in the evening.
    • Walk to bus stop.
    • Bus into city.
    • Walk to next bus stop.
    • Bus to Howth.
    • Walk 20 minutes to office.

I hate every minute of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 yegorzima

as for me 30-40 minutes it's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I just did an interview for a job that's 8 minutes drive from the house - actually only about 500m as the crow flies. So that would be about 50 mins less than the current commute and save me nearly £4k train ticket. More money on offer too. Such a step backwards in career though. . . .mmmm decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

if i was you, i'd go for it

4k extra in the backpocket, its a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I commute 120km round trip a day by car
    And I have been the last two years

I do find it does wear ya down eventually, find myself get agitated a bit easier and also road rage is now an issue :(

I do often work from home and I will start this once the bad weather arrives

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anything longer than an hour each way a day is just not sustainable in the long term for anyone's mental health and well being.

And the very sad thing is that through atrocious land use planning and transportation policies and an utterly dysfunctional housing market we have condemned a generation of people to this fate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Learn to ride a motorbike mate, will revolutionize your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jesus. are you in the whole of your health? you'd walk it in less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

I drive 140 km each way 5 days a week, that's 1400km. It takes about 1hour 45, min each way, I've been doing it for a year now and can say it really is soul destroying, winter is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

The M1 is beyond a disgrace now at this stage.

Ardee to city centre is a 40min drive on a Sunday.

It’s taking me over two hours each way now, every day. It used to be better on a Friday but even they’ve become as bad.

Main problems are the fact the M1 isn’t even a real motorway, it’s a dual carriage way, absolute retards driving in the overtaking lane, and mergers. For the love of god can people not learn that the reason off / on ramps are there, are so you get up to the speed of the road so to merge safely?

You get absolute bell-ends merging onto that road at 60km/h meaning the plebs scuttling along at 90km/h pull out onto the overtaking lane & in turn they’ve pulled out in front of the other bell-ends speeding / driving full time in the OVERTAKING lane!!

If everyone drove at, or just below, the speed limit of every road in the country, used overtaking lanes for overtaking only, and learned to merge onto roads properly it would make for much smoother commutes for everyone.

Also, a third lane for buses & HGVs only would be a monumental help.

But hey, where’s any of this in the driving test? Yeah “reverse around a corner there in this estate”, that’ll get you ready for motorway driving.

Jaysus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jesus. are you in the whole of your health? you'd walk it in less time.

Clutch went on my car a few weeks ago. Ain't got the money to fix it.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Learn to ride a motorbike mate, will revolutionize your life.

Can't get the kid to creche on one though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you mean a two and a half hour drive each way??

fryup wrote: »
    you mean a two and a half hour drive each way??

Nothing in that post said i was driving. But yeah. That's the time each way. If my car was alright it'll be about 40/50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Bit of a nonsensical question from OP. How much of a commute is too much....answer : when its too much for you personally.

For me that would probably be anything over an hour one way.....as I would be arriving to work tired. Incidently, I wouldn't like to get to work too quick either, say under 15 mins.....probably wouldn't leave me enough time to get into 'work mode'.

My current commute is 40 minutes ... in a nice comfortable car catching up on the news on the radio and psyching myself up for an ass kicking day .....bliss :-)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Lady I work with commutes 1hr20mins each way every day. She has a big house in the country and says she prefers to drive long commute to have the house. Over a year it works out at over 600 hours sitting in a car commuting. That's 26 days of driving 24 hours a day or 51 days driving 12 hours a day. Fcuk that - nearly 2 months of your life every year sitting in a car to go to/from work!
    She might enjoy a few podcasts/radio shows during her commutes.

Those two months in the year might be worth it when you might have to live in a substandard shoebox of a dwelling where you have no choice but to get on with your neighbor or your life is hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Nothing in that post said i was driving. But yeah. That's the time each way. If my car was alright it'll be about 40/50 minutes.

You need to learn to cycle either dude, that would probably take about half an hour.

You need to learn to cycle either dude, that would probably take about half an hour.

As mentioned earlier, I'm also doing a creche run with a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As mentioned earlier, I'm also doing a creche run with a kid.

I've been using bike to bring kids from A to B for years, including crèche run.

Its not that difficult.

EDIT - Clondalkin to Leixlip would involve country roads, fair enough. I would still look to see if there is a route that could be mainly cycle path.

Alternatively, you could change crèche so that the drop off is in Clondalkin, and you cycle to / from Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Could you drop the kid off and go home and get the bike then? It'd still be probably 1 1/2 hrs faster each way.

I wouldn't have anywhere to store those trailer things folks pack their kids into.

Do you think I'd be doing that commute if I had another choice?

Could you drop the kid off and go home and get the bike then? It'd still be probably 1 1/2 hrs faster each way.

Wont save much time. And id not have the chance to drop it off somewhere before picking him up.

Clondalkin gets pretty bad with traffic. My area blocks up because it feeds onto monastery road, which gets choked up by people trying to get onto naas road and m50. So going back home to get a bike isn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

BobC88 wrote: »
    It’s taking me over two hours each way now, every day. It used to be better on a Friday but even they’ve become as bad.

Christ that's a shocking commute. Would it not be possible to find a job closer to home?
    BobC88 wrote: »
    Main problems are the fact the M1 isn’t even a real motorway, it’s a dual carriage way, absolute retards driving in the overtaking lane, and mergers. For the love of god can people not learn that the reason off / on ramps are there, are so you get up to the speed of the road so to merge safely?

I drive along the M3/N3 and you see the exact same nonsense. Idiots bringing traffic to a standstill when they merge and exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Berserker wrote: »
    I drive along the M3/N3 and you see the exact same nonsense. Idiots bringing traffic to a standstill when they merge and exit.

Or people who won't move out of the way to let you merge :mad:

Last week on the M1, I had to go home mid-day due to a family emergency. Road was fairly empty except for one complete tosspot in the overtaking lane. He moved over to let me overtake him & then the minute I was passed him, straight back out into the right hand lane! WTF?! Lefthand lane completely empty!!!!!

And don't get me started on the a-holes who ignore the emergency services - do these ppl not use their mirrors?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm only working 3 days (going up M7) but the commute was getting up to 1.5hrs since kids went back and now up to 2hrs with bad weather, xmas etc. 80km one way. I attempted to train & bike it but quickly discovered that I don't cycle as fast as Google Maps thinks I should and it's just not feasible to catch the trains I need.

So this week I moved my hours 1/2 hr back (I'm lucky to be able to do that) and now doing 7.30-3.30 and it's brought the commute back down to 1hr 15min so the sting is taken out of it.

I'm at this two years and it can be very stressful, my back aches from so much sitting, the cost of wear and tear to the car is unreal. Hoping to get something closer to home (max I'll do is 45 mins) and will gladly take a reduction in wages. I love my house and where I live too much to move closer to my work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Anything over an hour I'd say.

I used to give out about having to travel to Dublin on the train and walk which took about an hour. Now that I'm stuck on a bus to college that takes 1.5 hours (without traffic) and a walk to cover 26km I realise how lucky I was.

It's actually more of an issue in Dublin I've found than elsewhere. If I was in Europe I'd just take the metro or train.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement