Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a commute is too much

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

on 41k in Kilkenny or could get 55k+ in dublin

no thanks, dublin is an absoloute kip compared to Kilkenny

Think its the best place in ireland to live.

Coming from a Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

fordyjames wrote: »

Coming from a Dub

Ppl can get good pay in the country side: either permanent or consultancy roles. - but issue is that Dublin still has the majority of jobs. so what do you do when one of the few employers in town lets ppl go, and you have comfortably reached your 50s.

Anyway, had a look at the thread, not too many ppl mention school drops as part of the daily commute.
    I have my ~25 mins each way of home+school/after-school+work. The most stressful part of this drive is reaching the school in rush hour.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have done a 45 minute spin to and from work for the past 8 years by car. Haven’t had any issues as of yet, I just pop in for a coffee in the drive thru, sip away at it while listening to my favourite podcasts and take in the beautiful Irish countryside as I drive.

Could never do it in an overcrowded bus or train. If I was commuting I’d be making sure to take a coach, they only have seated capacity and they’re comfortable more often than not.

Missus has done Dundalk to Dublin IFSC/Grand Canal for the same length of time. Handy spin on the coach, short walk to the bus (5 mins), direct bus through port tunnel (50 mins - M1 traffic dependent), and then into work (10 minute walk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Some days I end up going at rush hour. Normally my commute is an enjoyable 20 min spin on quiet roads. However if I go during rush hour I can end up plodding along in traffic a lot of the way and take maybe 30 min. I find this frustrating so I suppose for me 30 min is too long

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Let's say you were laid off as a lighthouse keeper on Malin Head, settled with a family in the area and had to take a new lighthousing position at Mizen Head.

600 mile round daily commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'm in Cork and drive to work so on a good day it's 10 mins but on average about 15. The odd time it takes 20 mins I am that guy swearing at every ash hole on the road..

I worked in Dublin for a number of years and honestly don't know how anyone sticks it. The place is a joke. I can't for the life of me understand why more people don't use mopeds / small motorbikes - especially those who have the walk-bus-luas-bus type journeys. I used a motorbike the whole time I was working in Dublin travelling in from Ashbourne and used to pass the same people at the same times every day sitting alone staring out their windscreens as they inched their way towards work.

I've since passed up on promotion opportunities that could have taken me back to Dublin as there's no way in hell that I'm going back to that. As it is, my job is 12 hour shifts. Adding another 30/60/90 minutes each way to that is nuts, and there's fellas do that and longer. The trouble is, when you're in that bubble you actually think it's quite normal. It's not !!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Last week I had to leave my house at 2am and drive 2 hours to an airport, get a flight for an hour and 45 minutes then get on a bus for a 3 hour drive...all for 2 days work.
    That's too long of a commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

aido79 wrote:
    Last week I had to leave my house at 2am and drive 2 hours to an airport, get a flight for an hour and 45 minutes then get on a bus for a 3 hour drive...all for 2 days work. That's too long of a commute!

Fcuk that!

Mate commuted from the Australian outback to Ireland every couple of weeks for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People rarely undertake long commutes because they think it’s “normal”.

It’s more to do with having a family to support, mortgage to service and bills to pay combined with a lack of alternative employment opportunities that are closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

People rarely undertake long commutes because they think it’s “normal”.

It’s more to do with having a family to support, mortgage to service and bills to pay combined with a lack of alternative employment opportunities that are closer.
    Some people trade off a long commute for the big house. I know a couple of people who've moved from an average house in the Dublin suburbs to a very big house in the country, with 90-120 minute commutes each way.

I'd prefer the average house.

Some people trade off a long commute for the big house. I know a couple of people who've moved from an average house in the Dublin suburbs to a very big house in the country, with 90-120 minute commutes each way.

That's true and I was the opposite to an extent.

We had a 3-bed semi in Dublin in an ok area, but when you've a couple of kids, it can seem a bit tight for space, - garden was tiny too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fcuk that!

Exactly...never again!
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Mate commuted from the Australian outback to Ireland every couple of weeks for a while

I imagine it was to Barrow Island(Gorgon) on a 26 days on 9 days off roster...not really Australian outback..but just as remote. I know a few guys who did it. I could never imagine doing it.

aido79 wrote: »
    I imagine it was to Barrow Island(Gorgon) on a 26 days on 9 days off roster...not really Australian outback..but just as remote. I know a few guys who did it. I could never imagine doing it.

no, the outback as far as im aware, the mines, horrendous journey to do, he was in a constant state of jet leg. must find out his shift pattern, probably something like as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lady I work with commutes 1hr20mins each way every day. She has a big house in the country and says she prefers to drive long commute to have the house. Over a year it works out at over 600 hours sitting in a car commuting. That's 26 days of driving 24 hours a day or 51 days driving 12 hours a day. Fcuk that - nearly 2 months of your life every year sitting in a car to go to/from work!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Lady I work with commutes 1hr20mins each way every day. She has a big house in the country and says she prefers to drive long commute to have the house. Over a year it works out at over 600 hours sitting in a car commuting. That's 26 days of driving 24 hours a day or 51 days driving 12 hours a day. Fcuk that - nearly 2 months of your life every year sitting in a car to go to/from work!

I know plenty of lads that live and work in Dublin and it takes them over an hour each way to get to/from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've a 20 minute walk to work, which is great.

But, I work work someone who lives in Lurgan, and drives 4 days a week to the offices in south Dublin city. And works from home the 5th day. Has been doing this for nearly 20 years. Pure nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

And there are others who couldn't afford anything in Dublin so settled for an average house in the country and commute to the city.

I drive to the train station (5-7 mins) and have two choices:
    55 mins train to Tara St + 5 mins walk
    or
    25/30 mins train to Heuston + 15 mins Luas / Dublin Bus + 10 mins walk

Work at home one day a week, can do another day if I want.
    It's tiring but tolerable as I use train time for reading / listening to music so a nice way to unwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

fordyjames wrote: »

Coming from a Dub

The issue is the lack of high paid jobs outside Dublin. Not many €100k jobs outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

griffin100 wrote: »
    The issue is the lack of high paid jobs outside Dublin. Not many €100k jobs outside Dublin.

This is it. All the best paying jobs and opportunities are in Dublin. It’s where all the major companies like google etc are based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

road_high wrote: »
    This is it. All the best paying jobs and opportunities are in Dublin. It’s where all the major companies like google etc are based.

It depends what industry you're in. If you're in pharma or medical devices, Dublin is not the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

road_high wrote: »

Apple are in Cork. Biggest company in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I know plenty of lads that live and work in Dublin and it takes them over an hour each way to get to/from work.

I used to live in Drumcondra and work off South Circular road. Journey was a bus into town and another bus rest of way. At best it took an hour and at worst nearly 2. The timetable was a joke and the traffic was worse.
    And you see people stuck in traffic up to an hour getting from one side of the city to the other. So a commute from the country is not as bad as it may seem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I can drive into work in 15 mins (Dublin City Centre) if I leave before 06:45.

It’s 12km from home to work.
    It’s a 15 min drive, 25 mins on way home depending on time I leave, can be an hour if leave between 5-7.

30min cycle in and out which I did for last 5 years.

Now I tend to drive 2 days, cycle 2 days and get the bus on a Friday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Depressing, but drive from Sligo to Castlebar for work. Takes anywhere from 50 mins up to 1hr 15 depending on traffic. Not fun facing into or after a 10hr shift. Hopefully won't be forever that's the only thing. Up the chain and back to Sligo is the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

GaGa21 wrote: »

I used to live in Drumcondra and work off South Circular road. Journey was a bus into town and another bus rest of way. At best it took an hour and at worst nearly 2. The timetable was a joke and the traffic was worse.
    And you see people stuck in traffic up to an hour getting from one side of the city to the other. So a commute from the country is not as bad as it may seem!
    There's a great thing called a bike or walking, both would be quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The commute is one thing. The real question is how much work is too much? Working and travelling for 12 hours a day for example is pretty ****e imo especially when you need to take sleeping into consideration . How much time does that actually leave aside for actual life?

My commute is 12-15 minutes. It used to always be 30 until I moved apartment this year.

I reckon 30 is the most I can stomach. I used to do extra work in the evenings and it would add a lot of driving. It was the worst part of it, though the money was good.

Now, I work very little. Leave at 12 on Monday, 11.15 on Thursday, and 1.30 on Friday. I spend the rest of the time working on my own business from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

One thing we can see from this thread is that there is clearly no one size fits all answer to the OP's question.
    Some people have long commutes for a variety of reasons and various levels of toleration.

I got stuck in an hour long tailback a few weeks ago and was fit to kill by the time I got out of it. A long commute is not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It depends what industry you're in. If you're in pharma or medical devices, Dublin is not the place to be.

Plenty of pharma companies in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement