Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

When the wrap around kicks in with the northeasterly rain will turn to snow in Munster;)

Just to support Kermit's explanation, on current modelling the system eventuality slips away south east on Sunday night and at that stage Munster could get its turn (having had rain all day followed by a short dry spell as the system travels north east before it does its very welcome U-turn)....See below.

63-779UK.GIF?08-6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kildare, Laois and Carlow could be the sweet spots according to the current runs.

Still at 48hrs out lots of change to come

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well the model run I posted shows only rain for Munster, so it's certainly not predicting snow for there.

Oh right I thought the green was for snow?

Just to support Kermit's explanation, on current modelling the system eventuality slips away south east on Sunday night and at that stage Munster could get its turn (having had rain all day followed by a short dry spell as the system travels north east before it does its very welcome U-turn)....See below.

63-779UK.GIF?08-6

If only. Perhaps a sleety mess at most unless you live on very high terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm getting a bit worried about this. I have a lot of sheep out on the hill and upland wicklow looks right on target for a dumping. Might bring them down into a more sheltered spot tomorrow. Don't fancy spending Sunday looking for sheep in snowdrifts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh right I thought the green was for snow?

No - the colours show intensity of precipitation, the white cross-hatching lines on coloured areas indicate snow while the solid coloured areas indicate rain (or sleet).

If only. Perhaps a sleety mess at most unless you live on very high terrain.

Sure we live in hope (though, as some say, its the hope that kills you!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

63-779UK.GIF?08-6

You`re the expert here so may I assume that, even if south Munster sees some snowfall on Sunday night/Monday morning, it is unlikely to cause significant disruption?

Sure we live in hope (though, as some say, its the hope that kills you!)

I am trying reverse psychology at this stage. I thought I'd see some snow showers at least last night but nothing at all! Disillusioned!

You`re the expert here so may I assume that, even if south Munster sees some snowfall on Sunday night/Monday morning, it is unlikely to cause significant disruption?

Expert? - I know sweet f a actually! I just know where to find these charts. As for being able to actually read normal weather charts - way beyond me.

All that having been said, if that chart came off (a massive "if"), then actually you'd be looking at a decent dump of snow over south Munster. Day off on Monday stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Expert? - I know sweet f a actually! I just know where to find these charts. As for being able to actually read normal weather charts - way beyond me.

All that having been said, if that chart came off (a massive "if"), then actually you'd be looking at a decent dump of snow over south Munster. Day off on Monday stuff.
    How are the chances for snowfall looking for north-east Kildare?

Again, on current guidance, good - though a few have mentioned proximity to east coast as being a factor in whether this falls as sleet or snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Take a look at some of the charts posted, they show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Kildare look good to me. Dublin is 50/50 as said before onshore winds will be mixing the temps a bit . Stroger the wind the more likely this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If the mixing does happen, any ideas on the snow line on the east of the mountains. Is it going to be more 230m asl heart break, looking up the fields seeing it at 250m?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The fricking excitement!! Maybe the cork snow shield will be broken??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If the mixing does happen, any ideas on the snow line on the east of the mountains. Is it going to be more 230m asl heart break, looking up the fields seeing it at 250m?

This could of course happen but right now I reckon the snow line will be below you.

This won't be clear til tomorrow at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Euro4 is real knife edge stuff .. I've a feeling nowcast will he the word of the weekend.
    Sorry on mobile can't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heres my forecast take on the current charts.

Ulster 1-5cms at low levels , 5-15cms above 200m and also inland areas, so Cavan and Monaghan areas

Connacht 5-10cms in inland areas. Roscommon, Leitrim areas.
    10-20cms above 200m

Leinster 5-10cms in inland areas of Westmeath, Offaly, Meath. 10-20cms above 300m , so Wicklow mountains.

Munster After mostly rain at first ppn should transistion to sleet or snow in the evening. Accumulations are dependant on how quickly the temperature can drop during the showers but if it does then 1-5cms possible, 5-10cm above 300m.

As stated by other posters, this setup is on a knife edge , a nudge north or south of the front will make all the difference.

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    The fricking excitement!! Maybe the cork snow shield will be broken??

I'd wait until Met Eireann have it at least in their forecast for Munster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

arctictree wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit worried about this. I have a lot of sheep out on the hill and upland wicklow looks right on target for a dumping. Might bring them down into a more sheltered spot tomorrow. Don't fancy spending Sunday looking for sheep in snowdrifts!

Me and the kids would happily help you look for them ....... only if you wait to look for them in the snowdrifts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
    Significant falls of snow are expected Saturday night and into Sunday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm could occur quite widely with greater totals possible. Drifting snow locally at times too with brisk winds. Slippery paths and treacherous roads also due to snow accumulation and ice.

Issued:Friday 08 December 2017 11:00
    Valid:Saturday 09 December 2017 23:00 to Sunday 10 December 2017 23:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Iancar29 wrote: »
    STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
    Significant falls of snow are expected Saturday night and into Sunday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm could occur quite widely with greater totals possible. Drifting snow locally at times too with brisk winds. Slippery paths and treacherous roads also due to snow accumulation and ice.

We live in hope :eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

I wonder what are my chances in Hollywood, co.Wicklow at 200m.asl,

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Damn it have to drive home from Shannon Sunday morning after santa trip to Bunratty!

Iancar29 wrote: »
    STATUS ORANGE

Hopefully it might spread south when you are finished with it people! Very early warning considering it's in the balance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Not wanting to put a downer on the excitement of it possibly snowing, if it does, don't forget to check on the old folks around you's.
    Having had to look after my very immobile parents during the last snow, it was a nice touch from neighbours knocking into my parents when i was in work.

Anyway,better gets some more wine in for Sunday night then. Off work Monday as well so let it snow,or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Not wanting to put a downer on the excitement of it possibly snowing, if it does, don't forget to check on the old folks around you's.
    Having had to look after my very immobile parents during the last snow, it was a nice touch from neighbours knocking into my parents when i was in work.

Anyway,better gets some more wine in for Sunday night then. Off work Monday as well so let it snow,or not.
    Enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Not expecting much here (Dalkey), far too exposed to the onshore E wind - expecting heavy mixed precipitation in a best case scenario. Would start getting very excited if I lived over 200 m in Wicklow or pretty much anywhere at ground level in the Midlands though.

Advertisement