Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Let's go BJ!!!

Seriously don't want him coming back after that horrific performance against Frankie but if he does, i hope he smashes Lentz. Really, who giva shiddabout Nik Lentz...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

WAR BJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

He's too big' - Jose Aldo critical of 'lucky' Conor McGregor's growing influence within UFC

It’s been just short of a month since Conor McGregor brought a concussive conclusion to Aldo’s five year reign as featherweight champion at UFC 194 and, in the interim, there’s hardly been a peep out of the taciturn Brazilian.

However, when it was finally confirmed last night that McGregor would face lightweight kingpin Rafael Dos Anjos at UFC 197 on March 5, Aldo evidently thought the time was apt to break his silence.

Of course, he may have still been holding on to the flimsy hope that the UFC would afford him the opportunity to avenge his first loss in over a decade, even if it did take ‘Mystic Mac’ a meagre 13 seconds to dethrone him.

Or, maybe he wasn’t. Because the former champion has claimed that the UFC had promised the victor of his bout with McGregor an immediate crack at the lightweight crown, but with one caveat; the successful party must first vacate the featherweight title.

However, upon their return to 145lbs, they’d receive an immediate crack at the belt.

"When we signed the contract, the plan was that the winner would move up to lightweight and vacate the featherweight belt. That's what they told us,” Aldo said to Portal Do Vale Tudo.

"Whether we won or lost the lightweight bout, when we moved back down we'd get the immediate title shot. I think they gave him (McGregor) too much leeway and now he's gotten too big.”

Aldo went on to say that the brash Dubliner is now yielding an inordinate amount of influence within the upper echelons of the UFC, and then swiftly turned his attention to company president Dana White.

Historically, Aldo and White have had a tempestuous relationship and the former has now joined a long list of fighters to state that the latter has reneged on a promise apparently made in earnest.

The Rio resident said that in the immediate aftermath of his loss to McGregor, White informed him that he and Frankie Edgar would fight for the featherweight title because the Irishman would be making the divisional migration, though without his newly-minted belt in tow.

"Right after the fight, Dana came to the locker room and told us that the next fight would be against Frankie for the title and that Conor was moving up to lightweight because he was struggling to make weight."

Aldo was adamant that he and the SBG man would cross paths again and that the outcome would be radically different.

"I obviously want a rematch, especially because we didn't even fight. Neither of us fought, he connected with one punch and the fight was over. Beautiful, congratulations to him but that's not what anyone expected from the fight.”

"I don't live my life thinking about that, though. I always live my life focusing on tomorrow, on what's ahead. It doesn't matter if it's a rematch or a title fight against somebody else but I know we'll fight again one day and I'm going to win this time. I know I have the ability.

"What's next for me is another fight and I won't accept any fight that's not for the belt."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/hes-too-big-jose-aldo-critical-of-lucky-conor-mcgregors-growing-influence-within-ufc-34361780.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

There's Litrally no lemons left in Brazil, between Aldo, RDA, Wandi & Pederneiras. Absolute sour *****.

ASOT wrote: »
    There's Litrally no lemons left in Brazil, between Aldo, RDA, Wandi & Pederneiras. Absolute sour *****.

Imagine if one of them beat Conor,we would not hear the end of it,wandy has lost his mind completely them early fights have damaged the brain almost feel sorry for him because he was a legend back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Don't forget barao there now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

BREAKING: Mickey Gall to fight Michael Jackson at UFC 196.

If Gall wins he fights CM Punk!

First BJ Penn v Nik Lentz, now this, The MMA gods have given us two late presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

TimRiggins wrote: »
    BREAKING: Mickey Gall to fight Michael Jackson at UFC 196.

If Gall wins he fights CM Punk!

First BJ Penn v Nik Lentz, now this, The MMA gods have given us two late presents.

I Guess MJ will Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' #Thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

mmapk wrote: »
    I Guess MJ will Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' #Thriller

Will he choose Black or White reebok shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who are Gall and Jackson exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    Who are Gall and Jackson exactly?

Gall was picked from that new show Looking for a fight, he knew Dana was at the fight and it was his pro debut. He called out CM Punk after.

Jackson is a famous singer IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    Jackson is a famous singer IIRC.
    Lol, that did cross my mind when I posted. I assume he was off looking for a fighter too then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Holograms in the UFC? Sounds a bit more like a bellator thing to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Tom Lawlor Vs Corey Anderson confirmed for UFC 197.

Is this Lawlor's 1st fight udner reebok deal? I'm going to miss his weigh in & octagon walk outfits :mad:

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Will he choose Black or White reebok shorts?

It doesn't matter if its black or white. He can't Beat It. He's bad.

Lads on these Michael Jackson jokes....Don't stop till ya get enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Devastator wrote: »
    Tom Lawlor Vs Corey Anderson confirmed for UFC 197.

Is this Lawlor's 1st fight udner reebok deal? I'm going to miss his weigh in & octagon walk outfits :mad:

It doesn't matter if its black or white. He can't Beat It. He's bad.

Lads on these Michael Jackson jokes....Don't stop till ya get enough!

Nah he already has one, ko'd Gian Villante as far as I can remember, tried to wear a McGregor fight kit for the weigh ins but they werent able to get one in time or something

Great response by Lentz

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/13/10764972/nik-lentz-issues-statement-in-response-to-b-j-penns-callout

"You can go to Greg Jackson's, you can go to Jermaine Jackson's, you can listen to Mahalia Jackson, you can resurrect Jackson ****in' POLLOCK to paint you a better picture of yourself than the one we all see; but..."

RDA confirmed he was fined 10k for wearing another sponsors top at weigh ins. That's a big chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is it a flat recurring fee or does it escalate per offense e.g. 10k first time, 15k second etc.

Might be worth absorbing the fine if the sponsor is paying you a rake of cash to begin with.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is it a flat recurring fee or does it escalate per offense e.g. 10k first time, 15k second etc.

Might be worth absorbing the fine if the sponsor is paying you a rake of cash to begin with.

Well Cowboy said he if he violates the rule again, he won't be allowed fight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Might be worth just the one hit then.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Let's be honest though that wont happen, he has massive leverage with the ufc by the fact that he fights every week and is a massive draw, they would want to be careful he would without a doubt go to Bellator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Let's be honest though that wont happen, he has massive leverage with the ufc by the fact that he fights every week and is a massive draw, they would want to be careful he would without a doubt go to Bellator.

How many fights does he have on his deal though?

If they wanted (and they do seem to be stubborn as hell on the Reebok deal), they could tie him up for years if he refuse to fight without the patch.

Depp wrote: »
    Nah he already has one, ko'd Gian Villante as far as I can remember, tried to wear a McGregor fight kit for the weigh ins but they werent able to get one in time or something

Oh really? I can't remember that. I think if reebok were a little more lenient, maybe even just for weigh in outfits then they would have a few more fighters onside.

I thought he said he would continue to wear the patch regardless and take the fines because its for his granny or something?
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    How many fights does he have on his deal though?

If they wanted (and they do seem to be stubborn as hell on the Reebok deal), they could tie him up for years if he refuse to fight without the patch.

Reebok could do themselves a few favors by starting to introduce a bit of personalisation into fighter kits. Even some different colours(like McGregor had green for Aldo fight) or allow the likes of Cowboy to have a small patch or their national flag sewn into the shorts. ATM everyones t-shirts etc all look the same

Devastator wrote: »
    I thought he said he would continue to wear the patch regardless and take the fines because its for his granny or something?

Yupp, he said 'so...we'll see'. He's the wrong guy to try make an example out of, silly Reebok.

Yupp, he said 'so...we'll see'. He's the wrong guy to try make an example out of, silly Reebok.

True although I read reebok passed the buck and said it wasn't upto them over recent fines and it was a UFC decsion....either way [pulp fiction mode] they picked the wrong.....to f*** with :D

I think the idea of the reebok deal making the UFC look more professional is absolute balls anyway when you look at the octagon. Its covered in various sponsors and IMO defeats the purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Reebok deal has to be one of the worst decisions the UFC bosses have ever made, if not the worst.

Where is this fine money going? ufc coffers no doubt,as cowboy said give it to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Gamebred wrote: »
    Where is this fine money going? ufc coffers no doubt,as cowboy said give it to charity.

I doubt there's much money in it tbh. I vaguely recall reading that the profits from the deal all go to fighters and little/none of the cash goes to the UFC. I also don't believe that for a second.

Reebok can't be making any money from MMA gear sales so far tho, who the hell would buy it? Every shirt and pair of shorts looks the same bar the fighters name on it. Garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Anyone know when the BT deal with ufc ends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

August as far as I know, interesting to see what happens with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement