Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant issues with noise (Mod Warning on Post #45)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

OP- you've tried talking reasonably to the neighbours. Maybe give it one more go....after that you really need to escalate the issue. Explain to them what steps you will take if they cannot keep the noise down after a reasonable hour of the day/night.

then...i'd make a complaint to your local friendly community police officer about the ongoing noise. They are trained to deal with this kind of problem.

If that doesnt work, maybe a complaint to local council about noise pollution at unsociable hours.

Also do you know if they are renters, or home owners? If they are renters find out who the landlord is and start making complaints to him* about his tenants behaviour. He'll get fed up of them quickly if they are causing him trouble.

*or her for the politically correct amongst us

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

no its not confined to Ramadan. i have stated this has been an ongoing issue only made worse with Ramadan.

Yes 1am is outrageous when its every night

also illegal, and the District Court can be used

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/enfo/irelands-environment/noise/noise-regulations/

also EPA will advise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I can;t imagine any legal/council entity will touch this, they will be terrified of being labelled "racist".

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

daheff wrote: »

then...i'd make a complaint to your local friendly community police officer about the ongoing noise. They are trained to deal with this kind of problem.

Incorrect sadly, I tried to take a complaint like this to the police and they told me they cannot do anything about it as its not their problem. Told me to make a complain to the council, who never replied or did anything, ended up having a nice fight outside the neighbour in questions door with him and it was the only thing that dealt with the situation.

So many ignorant people who think having party's 5 days a week from 2-9am is ok and won't be met with a slap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

They think it's ok cos it's Ramadan and it's a beautiful cultural thing :rolleyes:, if they were Irish having a pissup people wouldn't think it's ok.

It's the bigotry of low expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

force the landlord to install soft close on the front and back doors and do some slam proofing internally

I read this as Islam proofing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Its Ramadan, it is what it is. Buy earplugs and perhaps take time to talk to them about their cultures traditions and celebrations, Perhaps even see if you can join them, I'm sure they'd appreciate that more then the angry intolerant neighbor they're currently having deal with!

PC Warrior, might have a different opinion if you were dealing with this for the last year
    Ramadam doesn't last a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Shop40 wrote: »
    I’m always amazed by people who have no consideration for their neighbours. Take my neighbour whose dog is in the garden barking every night. Even after explaining the dog is waking us up at all hours, it’s still happening and she doesn’t care.
    Ramadan or not Ramadan, it’s irrelevant! Everyone should have basic consideration for others.

Off topic, but yesterday I saw a guy parking in a disabled space and leave the hazards on, off he went to get a coffee. Things like this annoy the hell out of me!

OP my advice is if this family is renting, call the letting agency and ask them to have a word. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Well if they are not willing to pass this message on to the dog I suggest you take it into your own hands and have a serious conversation with it over the fence. Explain clearly that the barking is disturbing you at night and ask it politely to please refrain from making loud noises between say 11pm and 7 am. Perhaps offer to let it know when it has gone 11pm, in case it can't read the time/doesn't have a watch.

If this doesn't work you might have to conclude that the dog didn't understand your neighbours when they explained your concerns either and that there is just no reasoning with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Fian wrote: »
    Shop40 wrote: »
    I’m always amazed by people who have no consideration for their neighbours. Take my neighbour whose dog is in the garden barking every night. Even after explaining the dog is waking us up at all hours, it’s still happening and she doesn’t care.
    Ramadan or not Ramadan, it’s irrelevant! Everyone should have basic consideration for others.

Off topic, but yesterday I saw a guy parking in a disabled space and leave the hazards on, off he went to get a coffee. Things like this annoy the hell out of me!

OP my advice is if this family is renting, call the letting agency and ask them to have a word. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Well if they are not willing to pass this message on to the dog I suggest you take it into your own hands and have a serious conversation with it over the fence. Explain clearly that the barking is disturbing you at night and ask it politely to please refrain from making loud noises between say 11pm and 7 am. Perhaps offer to let it know when it has gone 11pm, in case it can't read the time/doesn't have a watch.

If this doesn't work you might have to conclude that the dog didn't understand your neighbours when they explained your concerns either and that there is just no reasoning with it.
    Or the neighbours could just keep the dog in at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Could ring the guards and make a noise complaint after 11PM I believe they will call round and have a word with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Half tempted to take a third party case to the RTB to force the landlord to install soft close on the front and back doors and do some slam proofing internally

This is your answer. Complaints to the Gardaí or Council may be good for evidence at the RTB but otherwise useless, particularly in the specific context. Gardaí will tell you any noise quieter than athmospheric nuclear weapons testing is "a civil matter" and Council's will duck doing anything unless they really have to.

In addition Irish officialdom has a huge fear of perceived or alleged racism, a career killer even if an allegation of it is not sustained, so complaints about excessive noise due to a Muslim family observing Ramadam will most likely be ignored. Just look at how the Air Corps threatened its members with disciplinary sanction for "bullying" when they raised concerns about future ISIS bride Lisa Smith being radicalised.

https://www.thejournal.ie/lisa-smith-warnings-islamic-state-4581648-Apr2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

i have approached multiple times. This will be the 5th time.

The father cant speak english and tries to translate through his 9 year daughter which makes it even worse.

Half tempted to take a third party case to the RTB to force the landlord to install soft close on the front and back doors and do some slam proofing internally

in my experience,normally people are afraid of escalation to landlord or law enforcement authorities and if you just tell them these things they will take it seriously..

i m also observing Ramadan but we try to keep the noise to minimum at night as its against the spirit of the fasting to cause any inconvenience to others.
    one of the objective of fasting is to feel the pain of needy and hungry people resulting in more compassion, generosity and charity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Is there a smell of drink off their breaths usually alcohol is involved.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Warning

alright folks. Before this decends into an infraction-fest here's a bit of a friendly warning...

keep it civil
    don't troll
    no racism
    stay on topic

There will be a pretty much zero tolerance approach taken on this thread from here.

hello2020 wrote: »
    in my experience,normally people are afraid of escalation to landlord or law enforcement authorities and if you just tell them these things they will take it seriously..

i m also observing Ramadan but we try to keep the noise to minimum at night as its against the spirit of the fasting to cause any inconvenience to others.
    one of the objective of fasting is to feel the pain of needy and hungry people resulting in more compassion, generosity and charity...

Appreciate your comment, whats getting lost here is that they people seem to think its an issue with Islam. I have the issue of noise and affecting peaceful co-existence, it just happens to be compounded by Ramadan. I just want to be able to go to sleep without disturbances every single night and not have to live by someone elses unsocial schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

Appreciate your comment, whats getting lost here is that they people seem to think its an issue with Islam. I have the issue of noise and affecting peaceful co-existence, it just happens to be compounded by Ramadan. I just want to be able to go to sleep without disturbances every single night and not have to live by someone elses unsocial schedule.

ur complaint is very understandable and i have heard of couple of other complaints as well regarding noise at night time..
    fasting people are reminded frequently about these issues but some are not good listeners/followers which actually gives bad name to entire community..

i think u should tell them in serious tone (as u r communicating thru a 9 year old) how angry n upset u r and u r going to escalate it quickly..
    my guess is a possible visit by law enforcement agency will make them take it seriously..
    not sure how much they can control the noise inside the house if they have young kids though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Constant issues with noise
    So I am living next to a family who are currently celebrating Ramadan. This has just added to the noise problem, its quiet all day and then from 21.00 to 01.00 its constant in and out banging doors, outside at midnight talking loudly. This is an ongoing issue. I have approached them multiple times where I thought it went well, but they always end up reverting back.

With young kids I thought grand after 9 or 10 it will be quiet in the house but the kids are outside at midnight also, they must be falling asleep in school.

This is not a racist thread or anything of the sort but my experiences with this the last year shows me that I would avoid a similar situation at all costs if I move

Had the same issue noise problem from 22.00 to 03.00 2 or 3yr old kid running and jumping having alot of guests staying over making even more noise .Banging pots pans, doors etc . No point talking to them doubt there the type to be considerate . Call the guards they will deal with it. Or speak to the landlord so he can get on to the management agency they might have a system in place to fine landlords with asbo tenants. Do not engage they might pull a knife on you speaking from personal experience. They might be racists themselves knowing there neighbours are white and do not care about disturbing you

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Escapees

OP, have been there and bought the t-shirt...

Noise was always an issue with the couple who lived above me and earplugs became mandatory at night to get any decent sleep. 'Night-time' prayers were a different kettle of fish to what we'd have been used to...

But Ramadan became hell on earth, for us anyway. There would be activity throughout the night, as if it was the middle of the day and anytime I raised the issue of noise with the couple, the response was always along the lines of 'oh sorry, we'll try to be more quiet' or else they'd just blame the building construction. But they would never make any genuine effort to show consideration and reduce the noise levels. To them, it just seemed normal to be noisy during the night and we were being awkward neighbours.

Anyway, long story short, as other posters have suggested, the reality is that the world has gone so PC that it's very hard to do anything about this.

My view after the experience is that this particular Muslim couple were extraordinary inconsiderate when it came to respecting others, especially other nationalities despite being immigrants here themselves and had ZERO interest in integrating. But of course you can't express these views, no matter how well-founded they might be, without the PC folk turning things around and saying how we need to be more considerate and respectful of other cultures and customs etc. etc. That's actually how I started out, but the experience changed my views completely.

Constant arguing, banging of doors, daily shifting of furniture, more foot traffic than a family of 20 would generate, late night bread-making (noisy), prayers and related activities throughout the night, and weekends of preparing spices (pounding) - ahh, you've brought it all back to me...!

Advertisement