Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'll definitely be going for a physical PS4 version. Gunna look great sitting next to my dreamcast game cases :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about ordering the physical copy for the PS4. We'll have to wait about 2.5 years or more and what if it turns out to be bad? Anyone have any words to sway me? :D

Go for a PC copy, by the time it comes out you'll be able to buy a powerful enough PC for same price as PS4 (probably).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Will the physical PS4 version be retailed? Or is this the only way to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Myrddin wrote: »
    Will the physical PS4 version be retailed? Or is this the only way to get it?

I'd say it will get a digital release at the very least.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about ordering the physical copy for the PS4. We'll have to wait about 2.5 years or more and what if it turns out to be bad? Anyone have any words to sway me? :D

Shenmue 1 and 2 are the best games ever, your money makes the next game just that little bit extra better! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I'd say it will get a digital release at the very least.

Would prefer the physical version myself. What I'm wondering is, is the pre order kickstarter the only way to secure a physical copy, or will it be hitting stores etc anyway?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Would prefer the physical version myself. What I'm wondering is, is the pre order kickstarter the only way to secure a physical copy, or will it be hitting stores etc anyway?

Can't see the harm in getting the KS version just in case it doesn't happen? 60 dollars is cheaper than a typical new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

$5,186,261 and 35 hours to go.
    Kickstarter will get a nice bit of change out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

$5,685,314 now with 9 hours to go, it has 62,857 backers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Still debating whether to back this or not. Just from the passion of other people I've been interested by this.

Would be nice to hit that $6 million goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tok9 wrote: »
    Would be nice to hit that $6 million goal.

It might do. I've been watching this from this morning at 9am when it was a 5.2 million and a little over 60 thousand backers.

It's trucking along today.

$45 grand off $6 million now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just smashed 6 mil now.

Decided to back it since I can change the address later. Nice to guarantee a physical copy.

Now Sega, go release the HD collection.

Live countdown stream on at the moment http://www.twitch.tv/shenmue3official

The money really is flying in.

- 01:15am $6,193,995
    - 01:16am $6,194,815
    - 01:17am $6,195,448
    - 01:18am $6,196,743

Averaging a grand a minute. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CuriousOwl

It's great to see people pledging so much as it comes to a close. I wonder how much of a difference there would be in the game with its current funding and the game had it reached 10 or 11 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It ended with $6,333,295 from 69,230 backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm slightly miffed I couldn't pre-order (budget), but then again... why pre-order a game I don't know the quality of? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm slightly miffed I couldn't pre-order (budget), but then again... why pre-order a game I don't know the quality of? :pac:

It's Shenmue by Yu Suzuki so you can be sure it'll be awesome. Looking forward to my "pre-order" coming through in two years. Hope in the meantime their official site will allow purchasing of Shenmue related goodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

As already mentioned, I hope the success of this Kickstarter will prompt Sega to Greenlight HD remakes/remaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well there's now a 'Slacker Backer' option open now where they are looking for funding from people that missed the kickstarter.

I can't help but feel this is pretty rich considering thet already have a publisher funding the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Calling it the Slacker Backer is hardly going to endear people to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think I'd rather wait until it comes out and I'll see if it's any good before I give them money. Don't see any benefit to handing over cash now just to wait.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well there's now a 'Slacker Backer' option open now where they are looking for funding from people that missed the kickstarter.

I can't help but feel this is pretty rich considering thet already have a publisher funding the project.

They don't.
    Think I'd rather wait until it comes out and I'll see if it's any good before I give them money. Don't see any benefit to handing over cash now just to wait.

Think of it as a pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »

having a publisher doesnt mean INFINITE FREE MONEY lol

what publishers often do is matched or proportional funding, eg for every dollar they get from backers they get a dollar from the publisher. So getting support from backers is still very important to projects

Sieghardt wrote: »
    having a publisher doesnt mean INFINITE FREE MONEY lol

what publishers often do is matched or proportional funding, eg for every dollar they get from backers they get a dollar from the publisher. So getting support from backers is still very important to projects

There seems to be some confusion (still!) over this game. Shenmue III doesn't have a cent of development costs from anyone else, just whatever they get in these KS and PP campaigns. Sony is covering the cost of converting the PS4 version, publishing and marketing it. Shibuya meanwhile are handling the PC release. But there won't be a game to publish or market without funding from the public in Kickstarter and PayPal contributions. Whatever Yu/Neilo gets in funding from backers is what they'll have for their budget. There are no matching funds forthcoming either.

This has been explained right from the beginning which makes all this concern trolling even now to be quite tiresome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    There seems to be some confusion (still!) over this game. Shenmue III doesn't have a cent of development costs from anyone else, just whatever they get in these KS and PP campaigns. Sony is covering the cost of converting the PS4 version, publishing and marketing it. Shibuya meanwhile are handling the PC release. But there won't be a game to publish or market without funding from the public in Kickstarter and PayPal contributions. Whatever Yu/Neilo gets in funding from backers is what they'll have for their budget. There are no matching funds forthcoming either.

This has been explained right from the beginning which makes all this concern trolling even now to be quite tiresome.

I know I'm being cynical, but I continue to struggle to believe this is true. It just seems so improbable that the game will get made with the amount of money it has earned (and I can't imagine a 'slacker backer' campaign will come close to matching the Kickstarter amount).

Simply put: $6 million seems like an awfully small amount to develop Shenmue 3. And that $6 million shrinks further - significantly further - when we consider Kickstarter fees, reward fulfillment, taxes, and the cost of development in Japan (not to mention it probably involves a decent sized development team - it's not exactly an independent production!).

Shenmue 3 is ideally going to be a large, ambitious, fully 3D game with impressive production values - at least I reckon everybody hopes it is! Even accepting that the team are going to have to take a step back in terms of scale compared to the first two games out of sheer necessity, and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will creatively and frugally work with what they have, a crowdfunding only budget for a game of this scope boggles the mind. Given that we have seen many examples of even hugely successful Kickstarter titles stumble financially, a paltry few million dollars seems barely enough to sustain two years (or more) development of a highly anticipated, ambitious sequel - at least not to the quality level the creators or fans would like (I know Yu Suzuki has said $10 million would be ideal, but even that seems low to me).

I don't know: a solely crowdfunded Shenmue 3 is simply such an improbable concept to me, even accepting that a Shenmue 3 with the resources of its predecessors is never going to happen and everybody will just have to adjust accordingly. No doubt the Kickstarter money helped (even if, cynically, I reckon it was as much a cheap marketing / pre-order campaign as a tool to raise money), but Sony's assistance must surely be incredibly valuable in getting this game off the ground. In an extreme scenario, and the crowdfunding is the budget, then I'd be really surprised - and legitimately impressed! - if anybody ends up with the game they wanted, rather than a heavily compromised version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, got to say that I just don't believe that a game that's supposed to have the weight and scope of a Shenmue game can be made for $6million. If they are claiming that this is the actual final budget, that to me is another reason to not put a penny towards the game until it's released and reviewed.

• Advertisement

I think they can make it work, the team is obviously much smaller and with the use of a licensed engine.

A lot of assets from the previous development could be used. Little R+D will be needed, the story is done, reuse some of the music (some decent unused tracks in existence too), characters are drawn (like Niao Sun who we still haven't seen in the games).

The first 2 games did cost 47 million which is a lot but it includes figuring out the story as well as development of both Shenmues on Dreamcast AND the Sega Saturn Version or versions.

Also, this game isn't ending the saga. Yu has basically confirmed that. So he doesn't have to squeeze all the story in. Hell, 2 million was going to get us the bare bones Shenmue 3.

Advertisement