Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitlers Brother lived in Dublin

Options
  • 27-05-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

(misspelled the title should say brother)While chatting to the lads on the way home from work this evening one of them insisted that Hitler had a brother who worked and lived in Dublin,im just wondering if anybody could verify this for me or is it all just made up?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

Quick google gives this:

Hitlerfamilytree.png

And... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Dowling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

oh no!,now I owe the lads lunch tomorrow,thanks for the quick response :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brian Hitler?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭McCruiskeen

I have heard this story before.

Hitler's half brother, Alois lived in Dublin briefly and married an Irish girl. This was well before WWII however.

They had a kid with an unlikely name, Paddy Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, Adolf Hitler's brother was a waiter in the Shelbourne Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So Comical Ali brother and Hilters brother? Feck sake the Yanks have been blowing chunks out of Afganistan for years, clearly they are looking in the wrong places.

Just get Osama Bin Ladens brother and do a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's mad, I never knew any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes, Adolf Hitler's brother was a waiter in the Shelbourne Hotel.

There was a great article some time back in the Shelbourne FC matchday programme entitled "Shelbourne and the Hitler Connection".

Imagine my initial surprise!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Actually Hitler it seems had a irish relatives and Hitler himself is supposed to have stayed in Liverpool before the war .His brother , paddy ( no i kid you not ) apparently satyed in dublin .This was an article in one of the british sunday papers about 4 years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

A bit of sensationalism here? ;)

I personally doubt that Alois Hitler Jr. ever met THE Hitler in person... One father, but two different families seems to me.

Nevertheless half-brother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

i wouldnt say anyone started on him during the 30's and 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, I think they had met. I remember reading some article years ago (I'll have to try and dig it up) about Adolph wanting his half-brother working for him, but the half-brother wasn't to keen on what Hitler was up to and moved to England. It was something like that. As I said, I'll try and figure out where I got that.

What I thought was a bit sad is that the 3 surviving members of the bloodline decided that they would never have children so that their family dies out with them. Granted, this could be just an excuse for being rubbish with the ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

He (Hitler's brother) married a girl from Kilnamanagh in Tallaght.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Poor Paddy Hitler :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Denerick wrote: »
    Poor Paddy Hitler :(

Come on now, Tallaght isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I assume he later took a job here in some "religious" organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Come on now... Even under the theocracy, few catholics would have paid much heed to Father Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I remember reading the novel by Beryl Bainbridge Young Adolf, which was based around the story that Adolf Hitler visited his half-brother and family in Liverpool some time before the First World War. Ian Kershaw, in his biography Hitler - 1889-1936: Hubris (Allen Lane, 1998) refers in an endnote to The Memoirs of Bridget Hitler, published in 1979: "These 'memoirs' (which include the tall story of Hitler's alleged stay in Liverpool in 1912) are notoriously unreliable" (p. 706). Kershaw himself notes that, during the period 1911-1912, "Hitler's life recedes into near obscurity" (p. 56), but he places Hitler in Vienna from late in 1912, just when the alleged visit to Liverpool is supposed to have taken place.

It's a shame any visit didn't take place in 1911, or Hitler might have been listed on the 1911 Census. This shows one "Anton" Hitler living in Toxteth Park, Liverpool, with his wife "Cissie" and one-month old son William.

There's more information on Bridget and Alois Hitler here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

yes it is true,like as mentioned,his half brother alois did marry an irish woman,i remember history channel did the story about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

hivizman wrote: »
    I remember reading the novel by Beryl Bainbridge Young Adolf, which was based around the story that Adolf Hitler visited his half-brother and family in Liverpool some time before the First World War.

Very funny book, well worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Perfect timing! The documentary "The Hitler Family" is being shown tonight on Channel 4 at 8:00PM. If you can't get Channel 4, then there's a good chance that the programme will be available for the next few weeks on their website: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/catch-up.

Added later: The programme doesn't in fact seem to be on Channel 4 Catch-up, but it's available on YouTube - search for "Hitler's Family".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Bridget wrote her memoirs and claimed she credit for being the first to trim Adolfs moustache into that distinctive shape.

Paddy went on to join the US Navy during WWII and his enlisting officer was called Hess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Patrick Hitler actually worked for a time in Germany while the going was good. He apparently "pestered" Uncle Adolf for jobs and to keep him quiet and out of his way A. Hitler conceded somewhat. He (Adolf) just didn't want any publicity on his nephew/half nephew to come out. When it got tougher, Paddy got out and joined the US Army. Later they changed their names (obviously) so I don't think there is a Brian Hitler or anyone with that name as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

A book on this subject , "The Last of the Hitlers" was published in 2002 or thereabouts. The name was changed to "Hiller" - here are two links to information on the family. Brigid and her son moved to the US.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/275756/adolf_hitlers_american_relatives_the.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/24/nyregion/24patchogue.html?ex=1303531200&en=7e22c43e4e0997e6&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Preusse wrote: »
    so I don't think there is a Brian Hitler or anyone with that name as such.

Ah but there is a Brian son of Willy Hitler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Patrick_Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

CDfm wrote: »
    Ah but there is a Brian son of Willy Hitler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Patrick_Hitler

Ah, he just forgot not to cross that damn "t". ;)

No, really, thanks, didn't know that.

Preusse wrote: »
    Ah, he just forgot not to cross that damn "t". ;)

No, really, thanks, didn't know that.

And the potential Irish Relatives are not embarrassed about the connection at all:p

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6baa56ed4d15b551a05c31b22b5821eb&topic=372466.0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Latchy wrote: »
    Actually Hitler it seems had a irish relatives and Hitler himself is supposed to have stayed in Liverpool before the war .His brother , paddy ( no i kid you not ) apparently satyed in dublin .This was an article in one of the british sunday papers about 4 years ago .

one of hitler's nephews fought for america during the war, i think he had published a book entitled something along the lines of "my uncle adolf". hitler still has family in america, but for obvious reasons, they ditched the hitler surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

omg... i have a irish half uncel??

• Advertisement

omg... i have a irish half uncel??

He was quite a goer -he had Bridget, his Austrian wife and a mistress all on the go at the one time. There could be more of you.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-hitlers-372377.html

Advertisement