Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

myhome.ie and daft.ie - is there any point in checking both?

Options
  • 01-02-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

Would you assume that people selling property will always advertise on both myhome and daft?

Looks like to me both website pretty much have the same stuff and it is enough to follow one of them ... anyone thinks there is a point in checking both?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I've never seen anything different between the two. I'd pick the one you find easier to navigate and don't waste time with the other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If I was selling, I'd use myHome. If I was looking to find tenants for a rental I'd use Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I've never seen anything different between the two. I'd pick the one you find easier to navigate and don't waste time with the other.
    kceire wrote: »
    If I was selling, I'd use myHome. If I was looking to find tenants for a rental I'd use Daft.

Cheers, pretty much what I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

While I'm years away from moving out and buying my first house, I love looking at property and prepare Daft.ie.
    There probably the same in terms of listings, but don't quote me on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Have seen one or two appear on one and not the other but that's the exception rather than the rule. I'd have an alert for each and let the listings come to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

As above, I've seen one or two advertised on one but not the other. Also set-up alerts and let them come to you.

As a seller I would put my house on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on location but daft seems to win out. Having said that, if I like z house I then look up my home for more pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Bob24 wrote: »
    Would you assume that people selling property will always advertise on both myhome and daft?

Looks like to me both website pretty much have the same stuff and it is enough to follow one of them ... anyone thinks there is a point in checking both?

Cheers!

I was house hunting before xmas and I check DAFT & My Home, both generally have the same listings but the odd time one would have a house the other didn't you can sign up to get house listing sent to you on a daily or weekly basis from both sites that way you wont miss any new ones put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

When I was looking to rent (& also buy), I used both. There was a lot of the same but there were also some properties that I would have missed out on because they were only on one. You can set up alerts on both that send you emails so you don't have to trawl through all the time.

You can set up alerts on both that send you emails so you don't have to trawl through all the time.

Thanks, this is what I will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Myhome still seems to be the more popular one, despite Daft being a far superior site. I think it's just something ingrained in people since Myhome was the first big property selling site. Fun fact, "Daft" stands for "Digital Apartment Finder Terminal", it was originally written purely as a rental site to help students find places to share and to rent. But because nobody else was doing any online rental sites, they became big, really quickly.

I tend to check both - it's rare that a place pops up on one and not the other, but sometimes it does. There's also information on one that may not be on the other.

seamus wrote: »
    Myhome still seems to be the more popular one, despite Daft being a far superior site.

Absolutely agree, Daft have a much better website and mobile app. Always used it to look for rentals, but kind of switched to MyHome as most people I know looking at buying are recommending it rather than Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Bob24 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, Daft have a much better website and mobile app. Always used it to look for rentals, but kind of switched to MyHome as most people I know looking at buying are recommending it rather than Daft.

I think my home.ie are better for pictures of the homes and also for the map, street view and satelite so you can see exactly where a house is for instance a house I was looking at said Belgard Green so I said grand nice area etc I looked on the map and in actual fact it not in a nice area but is just called Belgard Green as a green area of land in the estate faces towards Belgard but is nowhere near, Daft I feel is better for renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Myhome has always had a higher concentration of ads covering the mid to higher end of the sales market in Dublin, while Daft has dominated the rental market and seems to have better coverage of rural properties. Depends entirely what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I've saved searches and houses on both, no point in limiting my search to just one. There is probably a 10-15% difference between the two searches that I have on both sites.

Is the principal difference not that only estate agents, and for that matter only estate agents signed up to myhome, can place ads on myhome.ie? In contrast, any private person who'd like to sell their house directly, or estate agents who have not aligned with myhome, can put their homes on daft.ie?

So, logically, daft.ie should have more homes for sale than myhome.ie has?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭kaymin

Agreed though daft.ie is prohibitively expensive to advertise a house on for direct sellers - €799 for a standard ad. Far more economical to go through an agent offering an advertise only service - €300 for placing adverts on all the property portals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This thread is 8 years old, I doubt the OP cares anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

In my experience, 90% of ads are common to both, but there are that 10% which for whatever reason are just on one or the other.

Daft is a much better website and far better app experience in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The few landlords I still know never put rentals up on Daft anymore.

Anyone I know selling uses and estate agent and the estate agent will have corporate accounts with both, so will put it up everywhere they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Depending on the area you want to buy don't discount following all the local estate agents social media account, some estate agents won't pay the fees to Daft or Myhome because they have a good enough pool of followers to sell a house

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's definitely a good idea to keep an eye on estate agent websites too. I remember Sherry Fitz used to send out alerts with new properties to you that fit your criteria if you registered an interest with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats what happened when we were looking. Twice.

Sherry Fitz said they had a house that might suit us and would we like to view it. We viewed them both but they werent for us.

I saw later both were sold and they never came up on myhome or Daft and i was keeping an eye out there.

Master of the Universe

Yep! That's exactly what happened to me.

I got chatting to a Sherry Fitz EA at a viewing and told them what I was looking for size/location wise. Was at a few viewings within a week or two that weren't listed online and ended up buying one of them.

I've since done the same thing with two more properties via different estate agents. Got chatting to them at viewings and they let me know about properties before they were listed.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone currently looking for a place. A lot of the times I'd be ringing about stuff on Myhome and Daft and they were already sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublin_shed

I have spent many months looking at both but never seen any difference :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭kaymin

I don't think I'd be too happy as a seller of a property if my estate agent wasn't widely advertising my property for sale.

Master of the Universe

I don't think it's a case of that at all.

What I think they do is let people on their lists in early while their advertising team is putting the property up online.

Have you never contacted an estate agent via Daft/Myhome to view a property and they tell you it's already sale agreed/sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is there any way to see a house that was previously on Daft but is back on it now again

The below was definitely on it about 6-9 months ago (I know the area and remember watching the video by the Selling Agent on Daft), but just want to see what price it was up for the last time. I'm almost certain it had gone sale agreed in the meantime

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-suantrai-suantrai-clarecastle-ennis-co-clare/4706440

Master of the Universe

I was going to suggest Daftdrop but it looks like that site is gone years.

https://mynest.ie/ seems to be an alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Dublin Accommodation Finder Terminal (I remembered the Dublin Accommodation part myself but your post prompted me on the Finder Terminal)

The wayback machine:

Advertisement