Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bra Fitting

• 12-03-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, can anyone recommend anywhere in Dublin or Kildare for a bra fitting service. I have had two fittings in the past week - one in a small shop in Kildare and one in Arnotts. The former was better but the bra is bigger than the size I measure at but I feel better like I can breathe in a looser band. The latter (Arnotts) - I ended up buying my actual size after a fitting there yesterday and mother of god I had it on for a few hours today and I was getting back pain and felt like all of my organs were being pulled in. I had convinced myself yesterday that it'd be fine and I should try my actual size for a change. It did make my breasts look great and well supported but I just couldn't.
    I feel silly as a 30 something year old woman to be asking this but is your bra really meant to be that tight like the woman in the shop told me? I was getting pain in my back and my stomach was caving in. I am wearing a bra now one band size too big and don't have great support but feel better. I should probably have more support though. Any advice?

I suddenly became concerned about bra fittings last week (I have always had discomfort up and down all of my life and put it down to not wearing the most supportive bras) when I started getting an intermittent brief shooting pain since last week every now and again in my left breast and into my nipple. I am going to the doctor Friday but can I ask has anyone ever had that before? It's every now and again and not constant. Doctor not available till Friday so just thought I'd ask here also if it might put my mind at ease.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I always found M&S quite good. Whatever I was measured at there, ended up being the right size for me to buy there. I tried a few different places with varying results. I know that if I got measured in Debenhams and bought that size, the band felt like it was crushing me. If I got measured in M&S and bought the size they recommended, it was perfect. Even then, it depends on the style of the bra I'd be buying. I've always found t-shirt ones the best, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think it depends on the size of your breasts. I'm not a big cup and frankly I couldn't care less about the bra fitting. I pick couple of different sizes (something around 75C), see what cup suits me, make sure my breasts are not spilling out and that band is comfortable. Half of the time I don't even bother with proper bras and wear some sports bra.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Your band should be tight, yeah. It carries the weight of your breasts. If your band doesn’t do it, your shoulders have to so you’ll potentially cause yourself problems in the long run with a too-loose band. Bands stretch out over time so won’t always feel like they do when the bra is new. Ideally, you should be able to fit two fingers under your band, but if you can pull it out much more than that, it’s probably too large for you.

If you’re wearing the correct band size but a too-small cup size, that will be uncomfortable and make it harder to breathe, potentially, than if everything was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/11/how-to-buy-perfect-fitting-bra

This is good summary of bra advice. For me bra can fit well but if it's strapless bra with those annoying silicon grips it can really hurt. I dumped wonderbra strapless bra which looked great in the morning, felt comfortable (and I was fitted for it) but after a few hours it really started to hurt. The shop assistant told me that some women had issues with that model and some had none. I also fitted myself according to one of online fitting guides and it gave me completely wrong size. Anyway if bra hurts then it's not the right bra for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Even with bras that have the same band and cup size, the variation in fit is just incredible. Which is understandable given how much variation there can be in breast shape and placement, but also very bloody frustrating when you just want to buy a comfortable, (maybe even pretty!) bra that's not too expensive :P

The smaller bra might be basically the right size but not the right fit for you? The only solution is to take a fecking armload of potentials into the fitting room and try them out, but of course that doesn't solve the problem of ones that only start to pinch or poke you after an hour or two :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Have you tried Peaches & Cream just off Grafton St (South Anne St I think).

Advertisement