Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Only for commercial stations. RTE will force feed us Lottle Ryan and as many Gearaghtys as they can while the tax paying schmucks will pay for it all.

Oh they'll try, but as time goes on, and people start turning off the TV everytime they appear (Doirreann on Podge and Rodge, Lottie on the Dancing with the Stars spin-off) it gets harder and harder for RTE to justify them to advertisers.
    (Also, an interesting thing to note-notice how, despite lockdown, despite all these 'opportunities' that are available to Lottie and Doirreann, RTe didn't give them a single show during the Corona lockdown. Not one. They went with their reliable presenters, like Sinead 'whatsherface' from Winning Streak).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

(Also, an interesting thing to note-notice how, despite lockdown, despite all these 'opportunities' that are available to Lottie and Doirreann, RTe didn't give them a single show during the Corona lockdown. Not one. They went with their reliable presenters, like Sinead 'whatsherface' from Winning Streak).

Should we be grateful?

Last Friday was the best of LLS country music - I mean seriously?

How RTE can go to the government and say they are strapped for cash when they have spent the past 4/5 months stuffing repeat after repeat down our throats and some cheapo COVID programs is unbelievable (tho the St James program was good)

Not a single person furloughed, not a single person laid off or cost cutting measure made even though this was all planned last year (sad for anyone to be laid off but businesses around the world have been doing it and RTE should not be the exception because they can run to the government aka you and me and demand more money)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It wasn't just Ryan. I believe many's an RTE stalwhart came up thru TV. I remember some show showed Aidan Power, then as a pre-teen, reviewing...something. (IT was either a music CD, a movie, or book... can't remember, he was one of a couple of kids on the show reviewing).

Aidan Power started way back on Open House with Marty and Mary. He was a youth roving reporter. Then he went on to present ID2/TWO TUBE programme on RTÉ2 between Neighbours, The Simpsons and Home and Away and later again The Café. Laura Woods also did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

she is back in the news. How much do brand ambassadors get?

lottie-ryan-opens-up-on-intrusive-and-insensitive-pregnancy-speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

rightmove wrote: »

OH FFS. Noel Kelly you have no shame.

• Advertisement

One of the Garrihys was in some paper yesterday talking about her Top Tips for motherhood. She's just had her first child. Now if I was a new mother I don't think I'd want advice from someone in the same boat as me, rather someone who's an expert in the field.

One of the Garrihys was in some paper yesterday talking about her Top Tips for motherhood. She's just had her first child. Now if I was a new mother I don't think I'd want advice from someone in the same boat as me, rather someone who's an expert in the field.

the second one of these xyz's have a kid , its a Niagara of media articles about motherhood and blah blah blah.....give us a f*cking break

Elmo wrote: »
    Aidan Power started way back on Open House with Marty and Mary. He was a youth roving reporter. Then he went on to present ID2/TWO TUBE programme on RTÉ2 between Neighbours, The Simpsons and Home and Away and later again The Café. Laura Woods also did this.

Oh no, this was before that. I think it was that Zig and Zag show (superbloopers,wasn't it?) where they showed a clip of a young Aidan Power.

His voice hadn't even broken yet (not sarcasm, he was a kid). He'd been there for a good while.
    I imagine he was hanging around RTE the same time as Blathnaid Treacy was.
    Before either of them had hit puberty.
    the second one of these xyz's have a kid , its a Niagara of media articles about motherhood and blah blah blah.....give us a f*cking break

Ireland AM used to be a distraction to have on in the morning, especially asbackground noise, when you'd get up, switch it on, grab cereal, make coffee-switch off tv and leave the house.

Now I don't even want it as background noise. I put it onto MTV or something, some music channel that's playing the latest hits.

Ireland AM is t.v. for mammies who haven't had contact with humans in months (outside of the pandemic I mean, when your only company is a sprog).
    Seems audiences are switching off in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/lottie-ryan-suffering-mentally-over-22393778

Ahh using the "mental health" card like bressie/blindboy.....i guarantee not one person asked her at all...

pnly thing surprised me on this article is that She's almost 35 - f'n hell, i thought she was at least a decade younger

Miriam?

• Advertisement

same with Vogue...why do these "celebs" think we want their "expert" knowledge

There's an influencer down here and she hosted/partook in a motherhood "tips" class(advertised on every social media page)...saw her a few weeks later in a restaurant with a mate and her child on a lunch break (directly in front of her so i unfortunate got to see everything she did) , and she never looked at the child once and couldnt get off her phone (and the poor staff were all waiting on her hand on foot - end rant)....was this display of parenting a part of her class

OH FFS. Noel Kelly you have no shame.

None whatsoever, not an iota at all

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/lottie-ryan-suffering-mentally-over-22393778

Ahh using the "mental health" card like bressie/blindboy.....i guarantee not one person asked her at all...

pnly thing surprised me on this article is that She's almost 35 - f'n hell, i thought she was at least a decade younger

Yup... she's in a precarious position right now. She's too old to be 'new talent'... she's closer to 40 than she is to 20.

That's why she hasn't gotten a hope in heck of becoming a major player at RTE.

And if folks think I'm being sexist, it works the same way for guys too. Eoghan McDermott was once seen as 'young talent'.

Slowly but surely, he wasn't getting picked up for much TV work. (Once the Voice of IReland was over, his chances of getting more presenting gigs also dried up).

Nowadays, he's stuck in radio. I think he thought his faux-ultimatum to RTE ('I'm going to Australia') backfired.

Linked to the above article is this:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/lottie-ryan-fighting-secure-radio-22296107

Which contains the quote of the century:

“It’s a very family orientated place.”

She's talking about RTE! If you're from the right family and have a career handed to you, yes I'm sure it is. Nepotism personified is Lottie.

rosanna davidson is expecting twins -AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Miriam?

Or Maggie Cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0722/1154940-dancing-with-the-stars-will-not-air-in-2021/

Thank you Covid for your service to this country, I couldn't take another 3 months of that absolute sheite being broadcast and advertised wall to wall, praise be...
    CarefulFrayedAardwolf-size_restricted.gif

Lottie Ryan to take over late father Gerry’s old radio slot on 2FM

not a day passes. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lottie Ryan to take over late father Gerry’s old radio slot on 2FM

not a day passes. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"following in the footsteps of her late father Gerry Ryan"

god love the poor cRATURES

not to forget

RTE star Kathryn Thomas shares holiday snaps of Mayo campervan staycation

• Advertisement

It really is so blatant and brazen. There’s no hope for RTE

'Last night we became a family of four' - Vogue Williams announces birth of 'beautiful' baby girl in Instagram post

Lord save us and protect us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

'Last night we became a family of four' - Vogue Williams announces birth of 'beautiful' baby girl in Instagram post

Lord save us and protect us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That 4 more mouths to feed in RTÉ in 20 years time ;-)

I think we might rename this thread, “Abandon hope all ye who enter here”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think we might rename this thread, “Abandon hope all ye who enter here”.

Oh I don't know, only 28.68% of the poll responders actually want to scrap RTE altogether.

I'd say it's all to play for.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0722/1154940-dancing-with-the-stars-will-not-air-in-2021/

Thank you Covid for your service to this country, I couldn't take another 3 months of that absolute sheite being broadcast and advertised wall to wall, praise be...
    CarefulFrayedAardwolf-size_restricted.gif

code - we ran out of canteen regulars or "influencers" who would do it

not to forget

RTE star Kathryn Thomas shares holiday snaps of Mayo campervan staycation

did she link herself to an bad incident in mayo like she did with the berkley tragedy or her mother leaving a tunisian resort couple of days before a terrorist attack

https://vipmagazine.ie/kathryn-thomas-opens-up-about-mums-near-miss-in-tunisia-terrorist-attack/

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057456132&page=3

elperello wrote: »
    Oh I don't know, only 28.68% of the poll responders actually want to scrap RTE altogether.

I'd say it's all to play for.

I’m not advocating that RTÉ should be scrapped. I’m hoping, against all the odds that RTÉ will wake up to the real world, like every other business in the country is having to do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I’m not advocating that RTÉ should be scrapped. I’m hoping, against all the odds that RTÉ will wake up to the real world, like every other business in the country is having to do

So there is hope after all.

I'll be happy if we get a well resourced Public Broadcasting Service fit for the challenges of the new media age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Me I'd just be happy if they showed they could manage the resources they recieve already instead of using the license fee as some sort of slush fund to keep the "talent" in the manner to which they have become accustomed. A state within a state is what they are. Tubbs, D'Arcy, Duffy and the rest sure if you put them 3 together you wouldn't get I decent presenter

Advertisement