Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Hey, does anyone have the March 2020 Criminal paper? PM me pls. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

FE1new wrote: »
    The practice exam section shows how the questions are and you switch between each question. So its not a pdf and it couldn't be downloaded. Have a log in and see it is quite strange.

Oh thank you :) When I looked at that practice exam originally I just clicked 'next' after each Q, I didn't see the part on the side with the option click back through the questions.

It's going to be so weird trying to pick our 5 questions at the start that way, so different than what we're used to

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Has anyone been told what time the actual exams will be on at?
    Will they be the usual 9.30-12.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Lawlaw12 wrote: »

This is another thing they couldn't confirm to me over the phone, the time or length of exam... which is ridiculous at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

baloo21 wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone have the March 2020 Criminal paper? PM me pls. Much appreciated!

Pm me your email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Has anyone ever been brought up in tort recheck previously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

I am assuming we will be notified st 10am on November 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

Has anyone heard any word of when recheck results are out? Awaiting a tort recheck and the exam is so soon now��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

jus_me wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been brought up in tort recheck previously ?

I wasn't!

Originally sat it in March 2019 (the notoriously bad paper), I think I got 46.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

nicolesd wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any word of when recheck results are out? Awaiting a tort recheck and the exam is so soon now��

Early next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Roisin Phelan

LS3 wrote: »
    I got mine off Amazon. I still have mine tabbed and highlighted if you want to send me PM

Do you still have this??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Do you still have this??

Hi, I do. If the other girl doesnt take it you can be next in line.

If you wouldnt mind sending me a pm? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Does anyone have any traineeship interview tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Do you still have this??

I have it too, if you don't get that one

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Does any one have any suggestions in terms of what topics to cover for EU ? I'm only starting my prep for EU tomorrow and feeling a little under pressure and don't wanna be second guessing my approach to topics etc. I am going focus on Anullment tomorrow as I heard its a banker question for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

FE1_2020_ wrote: »
    Does any one have any suggestions in terms of what topics to cover for EU ? I'm only starting my prep for EU tomorrow and feeling a little under pressure and don't wanna be second guessing my approach to topics etc. I am going focus on Anullment tomorrow as I heard its a banker question for the exam.

Institutions of the EU
    Direct effect, state liability and supremacy (comes up every exam)
    Art 263 judicial review
    QRs and MEQRs with Art 36 exemptions
    FMOP and Citizenship
    Competition

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Most important for EU:
    Institutions / Sources of EU Law
    General Principles
    Direct Effect and MS Liability
    FM Goods
    Judicial Review (always a Q on difficulty of establishing direct and individual concern)
    Competition Law

I'd say if you do all of those topics you should be covered. They're all nearly always on the exam.

If you have time, you could also add in: FM Workers/ Citizenship/ Equality
    And then, lastly: FM services/ establishment (they're not too hard, but also not necessary to cover imo).

FE1new wrote: »
    Institutions of the EU
    Direct effect, state liability and supremacy (comes up every exam)
    Art 263 judicial review
    QRs and MEQRs with Art 36 exemptions
    FMOP and Citizenship
    Competition

Perfect, thanks a mill

Most important for EU:
    Institutions / Sources of EU Law
    General Principles
    Direct Effect and MS Liability
    FM Goods
    Judicial Review (always a Q on difficulty of establishing direct and individual concern)
    Competition Law

I'd say if you do all of those topics you should be covered. They're all nearly always on the exam.

If you have time, you could also add in: FM Workers/ Citizenship/ Equality
    And then, lastly: FM services/ establishment (they're not too hard, but also not necessary to cover imo).

Great stuff, thanks for the peace of mind and laying that all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

does anyone know if there are T&Cs we can read before downloading all this stuff onto our computers for the exam? like people recording us via webcams/how the software acts/where the data is being stored and what its being used for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Just spent 600 on a new laptop so this software better not mess with my laptop. Its happened to me before and cost me a year old laptop in the past..

Also a thought that came into my head now that we know the mock exam is open for 28 hours. I thought the whole point of it was to test to see if the system could handle the numbers? It's not going to have all the users on at once now until the real deal since we'll all be spread out now doing it at different times...

Just waiting for the inevitable disaster for the first exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angela21

Institutions- most of the work here is prep. Try to get good simple notes.
    DE Judicial review are must
    Equality- try to have a general idea how you would answer an essay q - don't forget rights-
    Citzenship and workers need to be done together. Citzenship can be confusing so watch that
    Goods 34 110 and 30. Dont skip one
    Services & est -

I am not doing competition simply because it is too long- but doing everything else. I think its ok to skip one topic for EU. Competition is the longest in my mannual

If you skip Citzenship though and its mixed with workers you could be in difficulty

Iso_123 wrote: »
    This has slightly freaked me out because I have left out equality and liberty! i have covered a lot of the other chapters though I have 15-16 out of the 21 chapters in my manual covered so im hoping that's enough? I genuinely don't think my brain could handle any more info if im being honest:(

I left out equality, liberty, unenumerated rights doctine (although I did cover privacy), decs of invalidity/remedies and right to life/the unborn

does anyone think i am mad leaving these out if i have pretty much everything else covered?

My bad. think it freaks everyone out. Equality has been up every year since 2015 and is often mixed with rights questions. Totally understand the need to skip topics though. workload is insane. Equality is such an easy topic and you could skip the human personality aspect (debate about extent of this phrase essay only). Just finished covering it and I would say these three cases cover a lot of issues - you could learn in case it came up as a sub issue

Blascand Moor- two tier system - some categories have a presumption. legislation should be pedigree blind/ colour & gender blind. Must be a legitimate legislative purpose for discrimination
    Louth - need objective evidence for any classification
    DJ- suggests age classification without more will not be discriminatory

good luck

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    I do have notes done for equality - and had tried to study it yesterday but i just couldnt understand it fully. Like maybe its my notes but I felt that I would't be able to answer the questions on it when I looked at the past exam papers - specifically that new question that was asked about how courts are taking a more strict approach to the equality guarantee. My cases didn't seem to show/prove that the courts were if that makes sense.

Maybe I am missing notes or something! Any insight would be appreciated :)

definitely not your notes- I would say - issue with the manuals - sometimes they are cut so much it is hard to see the problems. Ok for most subjects but not for constitutional. I borrowed a constitutional book- don't refer to it much but it helps for this kind of thing.

Biggest issues in the human personality aspect - leads to less robust protection.
    Second is the fact of the two tier system - some rights are less protected
    Very low protection for age
    Fleming - also a good one for poor disability protection

just not robust in general - if you do EU - discrimination is strongly protected in relation to any of the freedoms - like literally anything that can in effect discriminate - is not allowed. close to a zero tolerance policy. Doesn't seem to be the same approach for equality in constitutional law

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    does anyone know if there are T&Cs we can read before downloading all this stuff onto our computers for the exam? like people recording us via webcams/how the software acts/where the data is being stored and what its being used for?

Yes we have to agree to privacy statements and terms and conditions, what i want to know is how to get that software off my computer after the exams as you give it permission to access camera and mic!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Browser Permission - What and why?

Read and change all your data on the websites you visit -This only occurs during an exam and is a method to ensure that test-takers aren't able to infringe academic integrity with the use of third party sites.

Display notifications - We may display a popup notification while you are in the exam in the case that you navigate away from the exam.

Modify data you copy and paste - We don't read/collect the contents in the user's clipboard. Instead, during the exam, we replace the clipboard text with our own to prevent exam content distribution.

Capture content of your screen - This recording setting only runs during the exam and is only visible to exam administrators to review once the exam is submitted. This is used to make sure that no unauthorized online based resources were used during the exam.

Manage your downloads - Downloads will only be prevented during the exam.

Identify and eject storage devices - Storage devices are detected and identified during the exam. But we do not eject storage devices.

Manage your apps, extensions, and themes - We do not manage the themes of your device. But we do manage extensions and applications that may hinder Proctorio from operating properly.

Change your privacy-related settings - We use it to temporarily block the browser's "password" fill option during the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

Doing the mock one now. It’s been “loading exam...” for a few minutes now. This is great

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Just about to download Proctorio.... it's got like 1.5/5 stars on the Google Extension Shop thingy. Really terrible reviews and problems even after completing exams... very reluctant but guess we don't have a choice, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Can't be the only one who exited after 5 min? shame they didn't more subjects than criminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Can't be the only one who exited after 5 min? shame they didn't more subjects than criminal

I exited as soon as I familiarised myself with it. I'm not gonna be doing criminal so no point in me trying to attempt to answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement