Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 7continents

LauraKc wrote: »
    Actually it is the opposite. The figure for the total medicine applicants (undergraduate and graduate) stayed roughly the same from last year to this year so if there was an increase in GEM applicants there may have been a slight drop in undergraduate applicants.

that's great i didn't realise that figure was for the total medical applicants. We might have some luck this year then! Thanks Laura:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arthur B

Guys, I know that with over 720 you are quite safe here and hoping for the numbers not to change this year so that you can go to RCSI. I'm curious what would be your top 10 choices if HPAT and LC points wouldn't matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Arthur B wrote:
    I'm curious what would be your top 10 choices if HPAT and LC points wouldn't matter?

RCSI was my first option anyway even when I hoped to get more than 722 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Arthur B wrote: »
    Guys, I know that with over 720 you are quite safe here and hoping for the numbers not to change this year so that you can go to RCSI. I'm curious what would be your top 10 choices if HPAT and LC points wouldn't matter?

TCD is my first preference. With 730 it's probably too hopeful, but I have HEAR so maybe with a bit of luck :).....I don't mind where I go tbh....as long as I go somewhere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I'm curious what would be your top 10 choices if HPAT and LC points wouldn't matter?

MUP GALWAY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 7continents

Cork first choice for me

Really though if I can get in anywhere I'll be over the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iamtheonewho

Does anybody think it's realistic for me to have a little bit of hope for HEAR to pull me through with 706 points? :/

Does anybody think it's realistic for me to have a little bit of hope for HEAR to pull me through with 706 points? :/

You never know, I have a friend who got into TCD with 715 in 2013 so you never know! Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LC15

Hey Everyone.. what do you all think the likeliness of UCD going up is? and what would the likeliness of Trinity being lower then it?

Anyone going over to Bydgoszcz, Poland? There is a debate in a different thread on this. See **HPAT and Medicine 2016**. It seems some guys are still applying this week.

• Advertisement

You never know, I have a friend who got into TCD with 715 in 2013 so you never know! Good luck! :)

what do you all think the likeliness of UCD going up is? and what would the likeliness of Trinity being lower then it?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

LC15 wrote: »
    what do you all think the likeliness of UCD going up is? and what would the likeliness of Trinity being lower then it?

Honestly I'd find it unlikely that Trinity will be lower points than UCD. Based on general preferences of everyone I know (for every course not just med), people, rightly or wrongly, view trinity as the pinnacle for most courses and so most people place trinity options above UCD.

I'd say the points will be similar as it normally is, but after the 2nd round UCD's points will be lower than trinity.

Honestly I'd find it unlikely that Trinity will be lower points than UCD. Based on general preferences of everyone I know (for every course not just med), people, rightly or wrongly, view trinity as the pinnacle for most courses and so most people place trinity options above UCD.

I'd say the points will be similar as it normally is, but after the 2nd round UCD's points will be lower than trinity.

But will the points go up do you think?

I think they will as there seem to be more people sitting the LC each year. I'm not too sure if more places will be offered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 philipphilip

Guys, just to let you know, I'm going for an interview for 6y MD at Collegium Medicum in Bydgoszcz here in Dublin in a week's time. The guys who run it in Dublin, Medical Poland, get the papers sorted and give hints for the interview. It's on Friday 14th, so not too much time left. MP run info event again on 13th, 5pm and say they still have places. We had discussion about that in a different thread but you may want to cover your back too.

I think they will as there seem to be more people sitting the LC each year. I'm not too sure if more places will be offered though.

There's roughly the same amount of people applying for medicine as there was last year...:)

But will the points go up do you think?

As there's only less than 2 week until cao offers are released, it's not much use worrying/speculating about it now :D

There's roughly the same amount of people applying for medicine as there was last year...:)

so what would that mean point wise?

so what would that mean point wise?

If you didn't mind me asking, how many points are you dealing with in total?

If you didn't mind me asking, how many points are you dealing with in total?

around 730 733

• Advertisement

around 730 733

Did u do the LC last year or are u a mature student?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ericaosull

iwillarise wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Do you have to sit your leaving and take your HPAT in the same year?

Also, is there a limit on the amount of times one can sit it? Ive already taken it twice (With a deviation of two marks!)

Thanks

As far as I know, from the year I did it,
    You have to sit the HPAT in the year you apply to medicine but the LC can be from the previous years.

Did u do the LC last year or are u a mature student?

repeat LC! Its just ucd points i'm worried about! what would an estimate be?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

repeat LC! Its just ucd points i'm worried about! what would an estimate be?

Wait a week and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Kadiv

Hi, I was following posts here and was wondering what my chances are of getting in Galway with 615 leaving cert and 155 (57 Percentile) hpat this year and I don't fall under any of the HEAR or DARE schemes, giving me a grand total of 718?

Also did anyone get an email from NUIG about important registration dates and then a retraction email few mins after it? I've no idea what to make of it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think that email was sent to everyone by mistake. It probably should have been held over and only sent to those who get offers from Galway.

Kadiv wrote: »
    Hi, I was following posts here and was wondering what my chances are of getting in Galway with 615 leaving cert and 155 (57 Percentile) hpat this year and I don't fall under any of the HEAR or DARE schemes, giving me a grand total of 718?

Also did anyone get an email from NUIG about important registration dates and then a retraction email few mins after it? I've no idea what to make of it....

Hi i don't mean to be a debbie downer but i think you should prepare yourself for just missing an offer from nuig. If points drop by 1-2 like everyone is predicting you have a chance but i imagine you'll have to wait for roud 2 offers and even then maybe only random selection. :/

That being said no one knows how it will play out util next monday so Best of luck! :)

What would the factors be for bringing the points down?

Comparing percentiles from this year and 2014 points were down roughly 2-3 for each percentile. So it's not incredibly significant but i imagine it'll at least stop points from increasing if not lead to a points decrease. Also i believe there was a large discussion a while back in this thread about the number of applicants dropping this year but i might have gotten that completely backwards and it's actually raised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

1) Change in number of applicants
    2) Change in HPAT scores/percentiles
    3) Change in LC scores(almost negligible as this should remain constant)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement