Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Fanning - last man standing

Options
  • 08-01-2019 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Dave Fanning is the only older DJ remaining at 2fm, he will become their longest serving presenter of all time on February 1st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Seen them all come and go so he has!

I would love to see ("hear") him on Gold with a regular slot. His show in the 90s was the soundtrack to my youth.

Used to love all the in-house sessions - was a great promoter of Irish music.

His fab-50 countdown was also great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Dave is fantastic. Found out about so much great music through listening to his excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Dan Healy has got rid of Hector, Colm Hayes, Ruth Scott, Will Leahy, Rick O' Shea & Larry Gogan.....Dave is the next man to go to RTE Gold in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Look at BBC Radio 1 they have Annie Nightingale (78) doing a weekly dance programme.

Dave should be moved to RTE Radio 1, if they can find a slot for him...not RTE Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

gamecube wrote: »
    Dan Healy has got rid of Hector, Colm Hayes, Ruth Scott, Will Leahy, Rick O' Shea & Larry Gogan.....Dave is the next man to go to RTE Gold in the near future.

The sooner the better.

RTE GOLD.... great ‘station’ but a good ‘swamp’ to bury those who have gone beyond their time.Nothing personal on those mentioned.

Lookit.... for fohhhrkes sake you can’t rock into Montrose forever……and ever .

Jeez man.

Not a fchuuurking rest home paid for by the taxpayer.

• Advertisement

The sooner the better.

RTE GOLD.... great ‘station’ but a good ‘swamp’ to bury those who have gone beyond their time.Nothing personal on those mentioned.

Jeez man.

Only Rick, Will and Larry have moved directly from an RTE radio station (2FM) into GOLD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Only Rick, Will and Larry have moved directly from an RTE radio station (2FM) into GOLD

Did John Clarke did not go from 2FM to RTE Gold, or maybe was with both, before leaving for Nova? Didn't Colm Hayes also do a stint with RTE Gold before leaving 2FM (and RTE)? I think Michael Cahill, producer with 2FM, moved as a presenter to RTE Gold.

If Dave Fanning was moving to one of the RTE digital stations, 2XM might be suitable for his more alternative tunes.

I was referring to the current Gold line up. And yes Michael Cahill is another. And not forgetting Aidan Leonard.
    Though as you say he remains a producer on 2FM

Look at BBC Radio 1 they have Annie Nightingale (78) doing a weekly dance programme.

Dave should be moved to RTE Radio 1, if they can find a slot for him...not RTE Gold

Advertising bad hair color products?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

The sooner the better.

Jeez man.

You specialize in knocking RTE and/or their presenters. Not that you are a failed poke from a 'commercial' rival. Positivity hurts? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dave's pretty much the only one of the long-time RTE presenters that I still have time for. A lot of the hate he gets is mystifying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭worded

Dave Fanning and the rock show
    .... live from 10 till 2

Used to tape show and listen over and over .... had to put a wire out the window attached to the antenna for a better FM signal

Top 50 at xmas .... who would be number 1

Ah the memories

sideboard wrote: »
    You specialize in knocking RTE and/or their prese nters. Not that you are a failed poke from a 'commercial' rival. Positivity hurts? :confused:

I don't comment unless there is need for comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I don't comment unless there is need for comment.

With almost 8,000 posts the need must be quite great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭worded

Is it possibly to get podcasts of Dave Fanning?
    I listen to very little radio these days

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes. Google Dave Fanning and Podcasts.

Edit :I'm not being sarcastic by the way. Everyone has their own way of accessing Podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Arghus wrote: »
    Dave's pretty much the only one of the long-time RTE presenters that I still have time for. A lot of the hate he gets is mystifying to me.

He's the Jimmy McGee of the music world,all the facts and figures.
    It has to be "cool" before our Dave will play it.

Also Gold was great before it had DJ's.

kneemos wrote: »
    He's the Jimmy McGee of the music world,all the facts and figures.
    It has to be "cool" before our Dave will play it.

Also Gold was great before it had DJ's.

Very little input from ‘DJs’ on Gold.

That’s why Lorcan is going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

To me "The Dave Fanning Show" that I remember ran weekdays from Monday to Friday from 8:00-10:00pm on Radio 2FM. The appeal of Fanning's programme was that it would always be there to showcase emerging Irish rock/pop music talent that needed a plug. U2 were still trying to make it big outside these shores and Fanning was there for them which they never forgot. In fact, Larry Mullen Jr. always made a point of giving exclusives to Larry Gogan as well to show his appreciation for all of his support and publicity since the early years. Just before Dave you would have had The Hotline on 2FM with Barry Lang (Tony Fenton would later succeed Barry on the Hotline which had a Hitlist of songs that would be published weeknights in the Evening Herald and people would ring in as this was before SMS/Whatsapp!) After Dave came "Lights Out with Gerry Ryan" from 10:00pm-12Midnight and then it was "Night Train" with Mark Cagney from 12Midnight until 01:50am when Radio 2FM was required to closedown until 06:30am. Dave Fanning often broadcast interviews with artists and bands for his show over the years. They used also have a 30 minute slot "In Concert" once a week on Fanning's show for many years in addition to "Fanning's Fab 50" which was effectively a Christmas countdown but it did not run in 2018.

Fanning would later venture into more mainstream especially when he presented "2TV" on Network 2 television on Sunday mornings for a while.

I would definitely agree that Dave Fanning tended to speak far too quickly for the audience at times which was exhausting at times from a listener perspective and this may have gone against him whenever he was filling-in on speech orientated programmes as he used often take over from Gerry Ryan's popular morning show between 09:00am-12noon if Gerry was off on holidays.

No doubt about it but I reckon the reason Dave lasted all these years is probably because he is a hard grafter behind the laid back persona. Whenever you hear his film reviews, you know he has done his homework. I think when "Drivetime" show from 4:30-7:00pm weekdays on RTÉ Radio 1 the show was originally promoted as having three presenters: Mary Wilson, Des Cahill & Dave Fanning! They were up against shows like The Last Word on Today FM, The Right Hook on NewsTalk 106-108 and McGurk on 4 on 4FM (4FM was later rebranded as Classic Hits). For some reason, the Des Cahill sports slot and Dave Fanning music slot never took off and their involvement as anchors to the "Drivetime" programme strand was gradually hushed.
    See below press release from RTÉ from May, 2007.

https://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-of...rivetimemay07/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Fanning

Good post above on Dave Fanning.

Remember he also presented some TV shows and series in the 1980s, not just music one offs and documenteries but also programmes for youth issues like unemployment etc.

While his chat/magazine show was on Radio 1 7pm - 8pm around 2007 ?? (which was previously on 2FM in 2005/06 era), he remained on the 2FM schedule by just the skin of his teeth when a voice tracked music show was played on Sunday nights around midnight to 2am.
    His nightly music show was then brought back to 2FM (not sure when though in around 2010) and this was also voicetracked from 8pm to 10pm with Dan Hegarty following at 10pm.

Dave was moved a lot within 2FM and to Radio 1 and back to 2FM, I can't really remember the specifics. But a lot since 1999.

What is striking is that it has been a long time since Dave has presented a full "Live" music based show on 2FM.
    I would say 10 or maybe 15 years. Time sure flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's all been downhill for talks too fast since this: Number One

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Remember when gerry Ryan was the other captain.

You wonder what Joe Elliott was doing on that thing, def lepard were big, if not bigger than U2 during that era

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Remember when gerry Ryan was the other captain.

You wonder what Joe Elliott was doing on that thing, def lepard were big, if not bigger than U2 during that era

Always wondered that. He was living in Dublin at the time (still is).

When Gerry Ryan was the team captain in previous series', Dave Heffernan was the presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Always wondered that. He was living in Dublin at the time (still is).

When Gerry Ryan was the team captain in previous series', Dave Heffernan was the presenter.

Yeah I was around nine years old, never remember heffernan from anything else at all, wasn't listening much to radio then

Elliott was living in Dublin, generous of him to do the show, doubt they could have paid him more than his weekly spend on hair spray

I completely forgot about the cheap as chips Number 1 Quiz!

I also recall Dave Heffernan as host and Gerry as the other team captain - Joe Elliot probably succeeded Gerry in the team captain role while Ian Dempsey replaced Dave Heffernan and it wouldn't surprise me if it was produced for RTÉ by independent producer Frontier Films.

Below is a clip of Dave Fanning presenting his "2TV" music video show on Network 2 television on Sunday mornings in the late '90's.
    I thought Damon Albarn of BLUR was doing very hard to look as cool as possible to appeal to his target audience - almost expected him to remove his shoes given the way kept his shoes in full view! Hilarious stuff looking back at it now at a time when music was still bought in record stores ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZeBlxd6G4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Yeah I was around nine years old, never remember heffernan from anything else at all, wasn't listening much to radio then

Elliott was living in Dublin, generous of him to do the show, doubt they could have paid him more than his weekly spend on hair spray

Dave Heffernan used to be the music guy on Anything Goes, rtes yoof show on Saturday mornings back in the day. Still see his name cropping up on various tv credits so he’s still knocking about montrose. Can’t think of the name of the spiky haired lass who used to do some of the music around that time too, think she’s still on the scene as well. Don’t fly too far from the nest that RTÉ crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Dave is the John Peel of 2FM.

In music, age is just a number.

And Gogan shouldn't be shipped off unless he's genuinely incapable of doing the job.

Dave and Larry are the "Colonel Sanders" of the 2FM brand, most people couldn't name you any of the other jocks, maybe a few Dan Hegarty but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Dave Heffernan used to be the music guy on Anything Goes, rtes yoof show on Saturday mornings back in the day. Still see his name cropping up on various tv credits so he’s still knocking about montrose. Can’t think of the name of the spiky haired lass who used to do some of the music around that time too, think she’s still on the scene as well. Don’t fly too far from the nest that RTÉ crowd!

Carolyn Fisher yes!!

And Dave would have Stevie Nicks vids on week after week after week...

Remember when they screened the full "Thriller" when it was banned by the Beeb

100% correct - Dave Heffernan came on last in the morning line-up for Saturday morning youth show: "Anything Goes". If I recall, the music video for the song, "Old Town" in Dublin City that Phil Lynott did as a solo artist had something to do with Anything Goes! I also remember when Brush Shiels used come in regularly and give guitar lessons to a young guy over a period of weeks. Presenters of Anything Goes were: Aonghas McAnally, Mary Fitzgerald, Kathy Parke and Dave Heffernan. They used often have a plug for Anything Goes straight after Top Of the Pops which used go out on RTE2 tv channel (pre-Network2 days) on Thursday nights but sometimes BBC would abruptly cut away and you often had a sloppy BBC promo for their Saturday Superstore youth programme appearing very briefly on RTE2!

• Advertisement

Carolyn Fisher yes!!

And Dave would have Stevie Nicks vids on week after week after week...

Remember when they screened the full "Thriller" when it was banned by the Beeb

I thought the Irish premier of Michael Jackson's full "Thriller" video went out on a Sunday afternoon cos I was away the weekend it came out and wanted to get home to see it. I wonder did MT USA with Vincent Hanley on RTE2 television get the premier? This was such a big deal at the time!

Advertisement