Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Fanning - last man standing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Carolyn Fisher yes!!

And Dave would have Stevie Nicks vids on week after week after week...

Remember when they screened the full "Thriller" when it was banned by the Beeb

God I don’t remember that at all Mrs S, but I did love the show at the time. Does RTÉ even have any decent music presenters or shows now and I’m not talking about the likes of Nathan bleedin carter. Colm o Callaghan I recall had a decent show a few years back but got axed for whatever reason.

100% correct - Dave Heffernan came on last in the morning line-up for Saturday morning youth show: "Anything Goes". If I recall, the music video for the song, "Old Town" in Dublin City that Phil Lynott did as a solo artist had something to do with Anything Goes! I also remember when Brush Shiels used come in regularly and give guitar lessons to a young guy over a period of weeks. Presenters of Anything Goes were: Aonghas McAnally, Mary Fitzgerald, Kathy Parke and Dave Heffernan. They used often have a plug for Anything Goes straight after Top Of the Pops which used go out on RTE2 tv channel (pre-Network2 days) on Thursday nights but sometimes BBC would abruptly cut away and you often had a sloppy BBC promo for their Saturday Superstore youth programme appearing very briefly on RTE2!

I know Mary Fitz (aka make and do) went to work in pr, including a spell in horse racing ireland, but I always wondered where Kathy Parke got to. Loved her hockey I seem to recall so bet she got a good kick out of the Irish teams exploits last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Very little input from ‘DJs’ on Gold.

That’s why Lorcan is going there.

I used enjoy Lorcan Murray playing 30 Years of hits on Sat/Sun on 2FM during the '90's. He has been on RTÉ lyric fm for last few years. I wonder is he remaining with Lyric fm or just also doing a little bit for RTÉ Gold?

I know Mary Fitz (aka make and do) went to work in pr, including a spell in horse racing ireland, but I always wondered where Kathy Parke got to. Loved her hockey I seem to recall so bet she got a good kick out of the Irish teams exploits last summer.

I first recall Kathy Parke used be a presenter on a pre-cursor to Anything Goes which was called "Let's Go" which aired during the week prior to Anything Goes subsequent debut. "Let's Go" seemed to be more focused on sports/fitness. Kathy used be absent quite a lot from Anything Goes and I felt she never left much of her own stamp on Anything Goes unlike it's other presenters.

Mary did her whole "Make & Do" routine which was always interesting to watch.
    Aonghus used try his hand at everything from magic, card tricks, snooker, odd colour shoes, guitar playing etc;
    Dave was more serious and his focus & concentration was all about the music towards the back end of the programme.
    Kathy probably handled sports & fitness related matters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWoLVOyUAu4

Another popular programme for Irish youth at the time was "Youngline" with Hilary Orpan, Conor McAnally (related to Aonghus McAnally) and Pat Butler and later other presenters which included Teresa Mannion amongst others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5CeeorFm4

Also remember, SBB ina shuí with Seán Bán Breathnach and Gráinne Uí Mhaitiú which was young people's issues ag caint as Gaeilge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIqypiGXSM

Clap! clap!
    Clap! clap! clap!
    Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
    “Let’s Go!!!”

Something like that anyway. Nice bit of nostalgia. I remember youngline usually on just as I got in from school, there was an item on it once about a carnivorous plant and showed it gobbling a fly, don’t think I slept right for a week after it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Just thinking about music TV shows of the 80s and 90s, anyone remember "Rock Sundown" - a video rock music show from 1989 era, which was on RTE 2 (Network 2) and 2FM radio simulcast on Sunday nights, presented by a different 2FM presenter each week, such as Dave Fanning or Mike Moloney?

I clearly remember it showing Neil Young "Rocking in the free world" and Georgia Satellites "Hippy Hippy Shake"

It had the 2FM yellow logo at the bottom of the screen....as did all of the 'simulcast' shows !!

Clap! clap!
    Clap! clap! clap!
    Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
    “Let’s Go!!!”

Something like that anyway. Nice bit of nostalgia. I remember youngline usually on just as I got in from school, there was an item on it once about a carnivorous plant and showed it gobbling a fly, don’t think I slept right for a week after it!!

That's brilliant - it definitely rings a bell with me for "Let's Go" intro!

We raised a lot of money, the princely sum of IR£200 in aid of the Irish Guide Dogs when we did a spelling competition in my local national school in Cork around 1982/1983 in conjunction with RTÉ's "Youngline" back in the day!

Just thinking about music TV shows of the 80s and 90s, anyone remember "Rock Sundown" - a video rock music show from 1989 era, which was on RTE 2 (Network 2) and 2FM radio simulcast on Sunday nights, presented by a different 2FM presenter each week, such as Dave Fanning or Mike Moloney?

I clearly remember it showing Neil Young "Rocking in the free world" and Georgia Satellites "Hippy Hippy Shake"

It had the 2FM yellow logo at the bottom of the screen....as did all of the 'simulcast' shows !!

I recall Dave Fanning doing another music tv series called "Rock Steady" which I think was in conjunction with Channel Four. The presenter for Channel Four was Nicky Horne. The theme signature tune had Sting's vocals.

Found a clip on Gary Moore & Albert Collins being interviewed by Dave Fanning and a very fast clip of cut back to studio at 08:27 - blink and you'll miss it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2meng8_85k

Below are Notting Hillbillies featuring Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rL68UAAzjw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Liked him in the early to mid 90s but turned out from him when I realised his standard line every week was that some new band was "the best thing to come out of xxxx since yyyyyy" and that they all sounded basically the same.

That said he still has more going for him than the innane giggling and jiggling that seems to pass for being a radio presenter these days.

touts wrote: »
    Liked him in the early to mid 90s but turned out from him when I realised his standard line every week was that some new band was "the best thing to come out of xxxx since yyyyyy" and that they all sounded basically the same.

That said he still has more going for him than the innane giggling and jiggling that seems to pass for being a radio presenter these days.

I know what you mean - he sometimes rattled off that line too often which made it sound repetitive for the listener. When he was good, he was great and I'd have to agree with you that many of today's presenters are lacking in sharing knowledge and personality which can make for boring monotonous radio at times. Fanning was great at sharing knowledge and imparting interesting trivia and Larry Gogan has this knack as well. Actually, I've grown to appreciate Ronan Collins, Cathal Murray, Neil Doherty, John Creedon & Philip King in recent years for giving a bit more. Gareth O'Callaghan also did this well on 2FM and later 4FM prior to his early retirement on health grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

touts wrote: »

I've seen him compared to John Peel but that's not a like for like comparison. Dave Fanning has always come across to me as someone who likes a certain genre of music (guitar bands mainly) and doesn't really stray outside of that. You could hear almost anything on John Peel's shows. He never seemed at ease presenting the Beat Box on Sunday mornings either -I doubt he was ever a follower of the Top 40.

Despite this, you are right. Unlike too many of today's radio presenters, he comes across as being an actual grown adult. I enjoy his cynicism and those long unwieldy questions he asks. He's distinctive and I like that. I'm surprised he has survived on 2FM for as long as he has, given what the rest of its line-up is like. Radio 1 would be a more natural fit for him at this stage but where would you put him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Do you have to use itunes for his podcasts ?

Can someone give a URL to his podcasts pls.

https://2fm.rte.ie/2fm-shows/dave-fanning/

https://player.fm/series/2281713

What are you wanting to listen to the podcasts on? The links I've posted should work in any browser on a computer. No need to install iTunes (I assume it's still the horrible bloatware monster it was years ago)

I mostly listen to podcasts on my Android phone using an app. The search engine in the app I use (Podcast Addict) uses the iTunes search engine. I'm sure most other podcast apps do the very same thing. This just happens to be the podcast app I tried out and liked when I was looking for one. I've never used an iPhone so I don't know anything about those or what apps to use. You don't need to mess around with URLs at all.

It was 2TV Dave presented, not the Beat Box and he is very open that he presented the show without any preperation or interest in the pop music of the day

It was 2TV Dave presented, not the Beat Box and he is very open that he presented the show without any preparation or interest in the pop music of the day

Ah, wrong TV show but the same idea. Goes to show that you don't need to have an interest in music to be a modern day DJ :pac:

Ah, wrong TV show but the same idea. Goes to show that you don't need to have an interest in music to be a modern day DJ :pac:

Dave had a team working on that TV show, he literally just turned up!!.

His autobiography from 2010 "The thing is" is a good read for radio and music fans

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Dave is fantastic. Found out about so much great music through listening to his excellent show.

The irish john peel

frosty123 wrote: »
    The irish john peel

So very true.

I always felt he was Ireland's equivalent to the Late John Peel and Andy Kershaw on BBC Radio.

Philip King of all those well renowned Irish bands down through the years not to mention his excellent radio programme "The South Wind Blows" on RTÉ Radio 1 and tv programme "Other Voices" on RTÉ television has similar qualities as a broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Dave Fanning is the only older DJ remaining at 2fm, he will become their longest serving presenter of all time on February 1st

That is a very interesting fact.

That is a very interesting fact.

Followed by Mr. Spring, been with 2FM (on-air) since late 90s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

The next longest serving 2fm djs are Cormac Battle (spring 2003) & Dan Hegarty (Summer 2003)

Advertisement