Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan McDermott wants Fairytale of New York Censored - Mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I don't agree with banning old songs because of troublesome lyrics in any way but are you seriously deluding yourself that you think a song written in 1986 with the word 'fággot' in it atually meant the original meaning of the word?

Come on, now. He calls her a slut then she calls him gay. The intention behind it is pretty damn clear especially for the 80's.

The lyrics "Sinatra was swinging" and "cars as big as bars" seem to place the song in the late 1940s"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Sure Peta will probably want it banned for using maggot as a disparaging term..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Did anyone catch Tracy Clifford going off earlier? I only caught the end of it and she signed off with Snowflake Clifford and played Last Christmas. Did she stick up for this bellend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Id pay more attention to eoin mclove.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't care about any of this

However I detest that crap song so much - I'll don my Machiavellian cloak and insist that I am gravely offended by such lyrics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Is she the one who's offended by The Inbetweeners not being inclusive as there's no minorities in the lads gang?
    shes offended by everything...I wonder who spawned these two sjw's, I bet their parents are disappointed by them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

2FM needs to be re-branded as Gay Fagg*t FM.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You sold more records with that sticker on the cover

Exactly. Barbara Streisand effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I truthfully never heard of mc Dermott.
    From reading the article I am eternally glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Yeah ban fairytale but continue to play rap songs that glorify gangsterism. That's the times we live in I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just listed back to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms this afternoon for the first time in years.

From the 2nd track 'Money for nothing'

'The little ****** with the ear ring and the makeup, yea that's his own hair'

'The little ****** got his own jet airplane, the little ****** he's a millionaire'

Oh the humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just listed back to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms this afternoon for the first time in years.

From the 2nd track 'Money for nothing'

'The little ****** with the ear ring and the makeup, yea that's his own hair'

'The little ****** got his own jet airplane, the little ****** he's a millionaire'

Oh the humanity

And from the same band: '
    Les Boys do cabaret,.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I truthfully never heard of mc Dermott.
    From reading the article I am eternally glad.

His sisters worse....this reeks of him attention seeking

Good to see facebook/twitter calling him out on him and a lot find him a sjw wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

McDermott had 2 women on this evening who were defending millennials who won't accept political incorrectness.. they did however did sign off by saying that no one has a right not to be offended. Eoghan obviously thinks different. What's next ban great films like American history x or boyz the hood. How can someone seriously get offended by a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Could we ban 'BOARDS.IE' It contains vast amounts of material offensive to thousands...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

This ban was attempted 10 years ago on BBC Radio 1.

F**k off McDermott and Byrne to your parents South Dublin houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Now that my wife went behind my back and paid our TV licence, I demand that Eoghan McDermott shut up and play the song in full and up loud.

Jesus - the world is changing by the hour and its a going in a shi€tty direction.

I love Fairytale of New York, I love belting it out with friends when we’re in the pub. Not one of us is homophobic. It’s a line from a Christmas song FFS. I suspect there was no malice intended when it was written.

Why no go out all out in the interest of gender balance they should consider changing the lyrics to “the men, women, transgendered people of NYPD choir still singing Galway Bay”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Sickining that TV licence money goes to pay such insufferable drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

He really is insufferable. I started a thread on him about a month ago. I have to listen to him in work. He really is one of these people who goes out of his way to be politically correct. Trump bashing, feminist loving , transgender friend, homosexual campaigning. He does it all. All these things are good but when someone consistently does it to be cool it wears very thin.especially when it's done on the national airwaves (at no inconsiderable cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I always thought in the context of this song only, that the word ****** referred to a near rancid or offensive piece of meat only fit for animal consumtion.

In England in the 20's/ 30's(??) butchers used to sell minced up offal made into a type of meatball for dogs, but some less fortunate humans had to eat them also. For any dog owner out there they're the lumps of "beef" in gravy you find in a can of dog food nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He is a gobshiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

What does SJW mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who is his sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I've heard it so much I want it banned. I'm so edgy ohhhhhh. I wish I never hear it again.

There's been a 100 posts like this over various threads.

**** off please

Cracking tune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

The guy rates picture this, which means his opinion on anything doesn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ewc78 wrote: »
    Who is Eoghan McDermott?

He's old and he's haggerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What does SJW mean?

Social Justice Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

What an attention seeker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Who is his sister?
    Roe McDermott. Described on her own Twitter account as "Creator Hag. Writer & Academic. Feminism, Films, Sex, Culture. she/her. Burning the ****ing myths to the goddamn ground.
    @irishtimes @hotpress @image_magazine"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Let's nerf the world altogether. Honestly lads this is just getting depressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement