Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schedule changes at BBC 6Music

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

Birneybau wrote: »
    With regards to Mark Radcliffe, think he's already presenting his folk show on maybe BBC4?

He's back with Stuart in February. Rang in the first day of new RADMAC on Saturday gone.

His folk show is on BBC Radio 2, can be quite good sometimes, although sometimes it's just really dreary English folk...

Delighted to hear that he's back on air soon! :) I think he's a great presenter, really knowledge with a good taste in music and the sort of fella you'd love to go for a pint with as he'd have loads of great tales that he could never tell on air!
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    Steve Lamacq is the worst thing about BBC 6 Music, that Roundtable hour long slot sounds like local radio.

I miss Keavney in the morning, but suspect it might just be Stockholm Syndrome...
    Birneybau wrote: »
    He is painfully, embarrassingly stuck in the 90s

Wouldn't be a great fan of Steve Lamacq, very hit and miss. The roundtable can be a good way of keeping up with new releases though. Sometimes, it's like they've put on a recording of a show from 1994, but some of us love some of the indie music that was made in 1994... ;)
    that's just the general 6Music playlist though, isn't it? extremely repetitive and predictable. she probably can't really get away with playing her weekend stuff now that she's catering to the daytime lot.
    her weekend shows had great music, as did her XFM and Radio1 shows.

I think it's more to do with the type of music assigned to that mid-morning slot to be honest, very dance/synth commercial with the few obscure tunes of that genre thrown in. I'd agree that the BBC6 playlist in general though is changing from what is used to, and not for the better...
    I think Keaveney really suited the breakfast show. His deadpan, half-asleep delivery suited my mood that time of the morning. I don't really get to listen to the radio most weekday afternoons so I haven't heard his new show yet at all.

Lauren Laverne I can take or leave, her breakfast show isn't terrible by any means. I'm sure it will grow on me eventually.

Radcliffe and Maconie - don't share the love that most people seem to have for them. They're only ok IMO.

As long as Iggy is still on Friday evening, Huey is on a Saturday, Guy does a finest hour on a Sunday, I'm happy enough.

I used to like Keaveney on the breakfast show and his style really suited it. However, the playlist over the last year or so was changing and I found myself not really liking a lot of it. It's a lot different on his new afternoon show and I'm really enjoying it.

Laverne is getting a big thumbs down from me to be honest, it's a terrible show so far.

What's not to love about RadMac??? :eek: They're excellent!

Huey is great alright, but he went down a lot in my estimation the day they were doing a NYC theme show. Listeners were sending in suggestions and requests for tunes and he told them to STFU as nobody knew more about NYC than him! He apologised after the next track though, must have got a word in his ear from a producer.... Still listen to him though as it's a great show.

Guy Garvey is great too, very eclectic playlist and so suited to presenting on radio - especially a show like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I do enjoy Huey I must say. Iggy, Guy Harvey, Jarvis are great too. A real music education sometimes.
    Craig Charles of course.

It's a great station really. It's great to have access to it.
    The offering in Ireland is appalling. For a country that's supposed to be in to music, what's on offer is bland,biriy and conservative.
    8 radio is at least trying. They're a bit lazy though. Updating ' now playing' on the website for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I'm enjoying the new schedule, think Lauren Lavern is great, don't understand all the hate for her here. She's pretty inoffensive, good at what she does and is knowledgeable about the music.

I don't like Keaveney or any other dj for that matter who tries to be a wannabe comedian and fails miserably, something rife in irish radio, although i do still listen because i like the music he plays.

As much as I love Mark Radcliffe I can't stand stuart maconie, smug wee muso pr*ck from the nme era. I would listen to Radcliffe on his own if he had his own show.

As other people have said here, guy garvey is my favorite 2hrs of radio in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm also a big fan of the Worldwide show on a Saturday afternoon, despite not knowing any of the songs and Giles Peterson referring to himself as 'GP' - which always makes me cringe.

kellso81 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the new schedule, think Lauren Lavern is great, don't understand all the hate for her here. She's pretty inoffensive, good at what she does and is knowledgeable about the music.

I don't like Keaveney or any other dj for that matter who tries to be a wannabe comedian and fails miserably, something rife in irish radio, although i do still listen because i like the music he plays.
    I hadn't noticed any ' hate' for Lauren?, I think she's good anyway. I agree with you on DJ's trying to be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I hadn't noticed any ' hate' for Lauren?

I’m not a big fan of Laverne
    BandMember wrote: »

Lauren Laverne is dreadful.
    Lauren Laverne I can take or leave
    BandMember wrote: »

Laverne is getting a big thumbs down from me to be honest, it's a terrible show so far.

There's a few there

There's a few there

Fair enough.' Hate' is a tad strong no? She's inoffensive enough.
    Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's a few there

Bit of a reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I like Lauren....she knows her stuff..love her voice...:o

Advertisement