Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schedule changes at BBC 6Music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Same here. I'm guttes to see R&M being demoted like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Lauren Laverne taking over the weekday breakfast show.

Shaun Keaveny moving to weekday afternoons, 1 to 4pm.

Radcliffe and Maconie moving to weekend breakfast.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/09/lauren-laverne-named-as-6-musics-new-breakfast-show-host

I enjoy R&M in the afternoon, gutted that they are being replaced by Keaveny...I find him to be painfully unfunny. :(

I’m not a big fan of Laverne or Mary Ann Hobbs. I quite like Keaveny but I will really miss R&M - their show is entertaining, enjoyable and the music is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Good luck to Lauren she deserves the breakfast show.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

No more ‘Teatime Themetime’?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

7am at weekends is too early for banging donks to be placed, no? Seriously disappointed with this.

• Advertisement

WDR wrote: »
    7am at weekends is too early for banging donks to be placed, no? Seriously disappointed with this.

For all fans of R&M: https://youtu.be/CxVjtb6ZBIE

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

For all fans of R&M: https://youtu.be/CxVjtb6ZBIE

I would love the instrumental version of this. Unable to find it online, sadly.

RadMac’s final weekday afternoon show :(

Mark back in the studio for the last one :)

RadMac’s final weekday afternoon show :(

Mark back in the studio for the last one :)

Gonna really miss their show. Fantastic entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

To be honest, I use the Bbc iPlayer radio app and usually create my own schedule.

Can't stand Keaveny, so usually start with Lauren, then the previous evening's Marc Riley, and then usually the Gideon Coe show (not mad about Lamacq, the guy is painfully stuck in the 90s).

So, when all changes, my schedule will be Lauren, Rad Mac (Monday and Tuesday), Riley and Coe. And I throw in Iggy Confidential when I get the chance.

And Tea Time Theme Time will live on in the weekend shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Forgive me this is slightly OT.
    Increasingly I hear more across BBC shows about the BBC Sounds App. Not available here last time I checked.

I wonder if the BBC radio iPlayer app might in the future of BBC Sounds be discontinued ... And with it our access to 6Music via a BBC app.

(I know there are other ways, BBC website, TuneIn, satellite to listen 'live' but like previous poster I love to create my own schedule from previous shows, would hate to lose that)

:(

Time for Larry Gogan’s 60s show on RTE Gold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Genghis wrote: »
    Forgive me this is slightly OT.
    Increasingly I hear more across BBC shows about the BBC Sounds App. Not available here last time I checked.

I wonder if the BBC radio iPlayer app might in the future of BBC Sounds be discontinued ... And with it our access to 6Music via a BBC app.

(I know there are other ways, BBC website, TuneIn, satellite to listen 'live' but like previous poster I love to create my own schedule from previous shows, would hate to lose that)

Might it be a case that while the BBC Sounds App is for UK residents only (for the moment anyway) that they will continue to made the Radio iPlayer available for "worldwide" residents? Like yourself, I know there are other ways available to listen but they are all live only - none of them offer the same type of on demand/playback option, which I would use a lot.

So, what are people making of the first day of the new lineup then???

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

BandMember wrote: »
    Might it be a case that while the BBC Sounds App is for UK residents only (for the moment anyway) that they will continue to made the Radio iPlayer available for "worldwide" residents? Like yourself, I know there are other ways available to listen but they are all live only - none of them offer the same type of on demand/playback option, which I would use a lot.

So, what are people making of the first day of the new lineup then???

The new line up is dreadful!

Mary Ann Hobbs is ok, Shaun Keaveny shockingly bad!

Just bring back Rad Mac!!!!

I like Keaveney to be honest, but miss Rad Mac in the afternoons.

Lauren Laverne is dreadful. Mary Anne used to be fine on the weekends, but her playlist in her new morning slot is rubbish.

Chris Hawkins should have got the breakfast show, he's long overdue a "promotion" to a better slot....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I like Zoe...disappointed that the first track was Aretha Franklin..Respect......i thought she was better than that...

I like Zoe...disappointed that the first track was Aretha Franklin..Respect......i thought she was better than that...

She really isn't. Without her connections, she'd probably be on local radio. Sara Cox would have been a better choice than her, been filling in for holiday cover for years and never did anything wrong....

Anyway, this is the 6Music thread - we're all hip, cool and edgy here so we don't listen to mainstream BBC Radio 2. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I wish they'd replace Cerys Matthews. Not a fan. Mark Reilly is a bit annoying too.
    Radcliffe and Maconie are great but I believe Mark is quite ill now.

I wish they'd replace Certs Matthews. Not a fan. Mark Reilly is a bit annoying too.

I think Cerys prepares for her shows by typing "coolest most obscure hipster playlist" into Google.... I don't mind her as a presenter most of the time, but the music is not for me. Marc Riley is there for a specific task for a specific audience (much like Cerys really), but I don't really listen to him to be honest.

RadMac are one of the best radio co-presenters I've heard and are completely wasted in their new slot. Thankfully, there is a playback option and I would imagine that this how most people will listen to them from now on. Unfortunately, that is true about Mark but hopefully he will pull through and come back to us soon fit as a fiddle with a clean bill of health. :)

Mark and Lard were far better than with Maconie imo....Riley is a funny guy I think...

• Advertisement

Caught some of Stuart’s show on the weekend, entertaining as ever. :)

Never plan to listen to one second of Keaveney :mad:

Larry Gogan on RTE Gold will have my afternoon covered :D

Larry Gogan on RTE Gold will have my afternoon covered :D

shock shock horror horror ........no Pat Courtenay for you then....:eek:

...either...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭its_steve116

shock shock horror horror ........no Pat Courtenay for you then....:eek:

...either...;)

Or me.

I wish they'd replace Cerys Matthews. Not a fan. Mark Reilly is a bit annoying too.

Marc Riley and Gideon Coe are my go to shows, fit other stuff in if I can.

I think Cerys prepares for her shows by typing "coolest most obscure hipster playlist" into Google.... I don't mind her as a presenter most of the time, but the music is not for me. Marc Riley is there for a specific task for a specific audience (much like Cerys really), but I don't really listen to him to be honest.

RadMac are one of the best radio co-presenters I've heard and are completely wasted in their new slot. Thankfully, there is a playback option and I would imagine that this how most people will listen to them from now on. Unfortunately, that is true about Mark but hopefully he will pull through and come back to us soon fit as a fiddle with a clean bill of health. :)

With regards to Mark Radcliffe, think he's already presenting his folk show on maybe BBC4?

He's back with Stuart in February. Rang in the first day of new RADMAC on Saturday gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Steve Lamacq is the worst thing about BBC 6 Music, that Roundtable hour long slot sounds like local radio.

I miss Keavney in the morning, but suspect it might just be Stockholm Syndrome...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I like Keaveney to be honest, but miss Rad Mac in the afternoons.

Lauren Laverne is dreadful. Mary Anne used to be fine on the weekends, but her playlist in her new morning slot is rubbish.

Chris Hawkins should have got the breakfast show, he's long overdue a "promotion" to a better slot....

that's just the general 6Music playlist though, isn't it? extremely repetitive and predictable. she probably can't really get away with playing her weekend stuff now that she's catering to the daytime lot.
    her weekend shows had great music, as did her XFM and Radio1 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think Keaveney really suited the breakfast show. His deadpan, half-asleep delivery suited my mood that time of the morning. I don't really get to listen to the radio most weekday afternoons so I haven't heard his new show yet at all.

Lauren Laverne I can take or leave, her breakfast show isn't terrible by any means. I'm sure it will grow on me eventually.

Radcliffe and Maconie - don't share the love that most people seem to have for them. They're only ok IMO.

As long as Iggy is still on Friday evening, Huey is on a Saturday, Guy does a finest hour on a Sunday, I'm happy enough.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Steve Lamacq is the worst thing about BBC 6 Music, that Roundtable hour long slot sounds like local radio.

I miss Keavney in the morning, but suspect it might just be Stockholm Syndrome...

He is painfully, embarrassingly stuck in the 90s

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    He is painfully, embarrassingly stuck in the 90s

You mean Carter USM and Ride aren’t cool anymore? :D

Advertisement