Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So a full year with out Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and VMTV one continues to air repeats of 74 epsiodes.

Did VMTV take Deal or No Deal?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

No they haven't taken it yet, if they're going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And amazingly, even with the constant run of repeats, WWTBAM continues to appear in the Top20 ratings for VM1. The latest ratings shows it's the 4th most popular show after I'm A Celeb, Corrie and Emmerdale.

I just can't understand it myself, how viewers are watching it - despite it being repeated so often. You'd presume not all of those 102,000 people are seeing an episode from 2019 for the first time.

Few stats about that episode shown on VMTV for those interested: Series 32 Episode 3:

• VM1 03/JAN/2019 21:00
    • VM2 21/FEB/2019 21:00
    • VM1 29/MAR/2020 21:00
    • VM1 04/APR/2020 22:30
    • VM2 06/DEC/2020 22:15
    • VM2 12/DEC/2020 22:00
    • -----------------------------
    • VM1 11/MAR/2023 20:30
    • VM1 14/MAR/2023 23:00
    • VM1 18/NOV/2023 21:35
    • VM1 21/NOV/2023 23:15

They have a recent tendency to show a series 8 times within a 2 year block. So you may see this episode shown 4 more times before the end of 2024.

Series 31 Episode 1 was shown 16 times. 8 times shown between 5th May 2018 - 19th April 2020, and then 8 times between 14th April 2023 - 8th August 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember it was the same with Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway back in 2015. UTV Ireland had the rights to the new episodes but the then TV3 put on repeats, which got a higher audience than the live show on UTV Ireland did!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Throughout her career, Gráinne Seoige has presented news and current affairs programmes and, when she was at RTÉ, an afternoon chat show and CrimeCall. One would've assumed that VMTV's dating show would have been beneath her, even if it is at least partly as Gaeilge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Having sports on VM3 being strange? Not necessarily. ITV3 has live sports coverage sometimes.

Largely speaking ITV have a clear idea of the audience and the channel, I am not saying that they don't stray.

ITV1 - The standard ITV regional Channle - Wide audience / Family - main live sport

ITV2 - Youth / Imported programing / Film

ITV3 - Classic ITV programming / Older audiences

ITV4 - Male skewed / where you likely to find Live Sport outside of ITV1

ITVbe - Female skewed / Reality TV

Virgin Media TV channels have very little differences to them. VMTV one being their main TV station for News, Sport, Weather and Local Programming, the rest seem to be all over the place, VMTV FOURs look is very poor.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not clear that VMTV have any strategy for their channels beyond finding more places to show The Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You kind of have to admire their lack of caring about how the channels are viewed. They'll do the bare minimum as long as it makes money, and I assume it must be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

In a way I was surprised they didn’t take deal or no deal but then again it’ll be hard for them to air the repeats as in the episodes are done in sequence. Then again virgin wouldn’t care about that.

On a side note, Stephen Mulhern is doing great

• Advertisement

I've yet to find any newspapers or magazines anywhere that carry Virgin Media Four's listings.

Even Virgin Media Player doesn't even mention the channel - no live view, no chance to watch previous shows.

The VM4 schedule is so erratic. There is no pattern from week to week, and further gives the illusion that the schedule is seemingly generated by a bot on a weekly basis. Full reruns of the Rugby World games again over the next few days. They're showing the full 90minutes of Man Utd's Champions League group stage match v Bayer Leverkusen from 2013 on Monday (been shown multiple times on VMSport and More since and includes the TV3 graphics). They're also showing Ireland's Weather 2018: Climate Chaos three times next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

Out of curiosity i banged it on there, got the last 3 minutes of RWC Ireland v. Romania, then a huge amount of ads, then several promos, a VM sting, then straight into the next program, 'Yes Chef'. So it's entirely automated, probably even down to constructing the schedule and placing the ads. No live human continuity, or program announcements, but that could be created by AI if required. So its overheads are non existant in terms of staff, just add the program and adverts ids into the schedule database, how often and preferred times. It generates income with little human effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Only things I've watched on VM4 are The Hotel Inspector and a random Carry On movie that popped up twice one week (before the watershed).

Anyone finding the sound going on and off on VM2 via the player at the minute? Had to switch to Saorview to keep watching.

Yes, annoying, had to return from HD to SmudgeD. Great result for Brighton. There were no problems with VM1 player, it was probably an issue with settings on the streaming server, audio is usually out of sync.

Have to say Virgin Media Television are getting away with murder with their schedules and programming.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i was flicking through the channels last night and came across M&S at Christmas on VMTV3 and thought that was unusual for them to show it on VM3 after ITV just showed it this week. Turns out it was from last year.... they didnt even bother showing the new version that was on ITV...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

This years “Inside M&S at Christmas” will be on Virgin Media One on Thursday at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Looking at the Christmas Eve schedule for VM1, they have Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (?) and yet another repeat of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

There is absolutely no way people (in any sort of numbers) are watching further repeats Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. It's simply not possible. The TV rating system has to be inaccurate.

All VMTV have in their schedule of any value are the ITV soaps, the ITV specials (like I'm A Celebrity), the occasional soccer matches and events like the Rugby World Cup. Everything else is schedule across all channels is pure rubbish. They might as well just rent the time slots out to teleshopping.

• Advertisement

They've completely given up on Christmas. 2 weeks of nothingness. It's understandable that Ireland AM, 6 O'clock show, The Tonight Show get their rest as they're on most of the year. But the news goes into hibernate mode from this Friday 22nd December to Tuesday 2nd January. That's quite a gap.

Lack of Christmas films, or any type of family films across all 5 channels too. They showed more Christmas films (albeit low quality made-for-tv movies) in November than they did for all of December.

Theyre not showing the This Morning and Loose Women episodes from the Wed-Fri slot either next week. I guess the schedule just goes into autopilot mode from this Saturday, and they couldn't be arsed having someone in to sync up ads etc for a live show like This Morning. Best just have a 2 year old Americans Got Talent on instead. Even odd things like Emmerdale and Corrie not in sync next week with timeslots, with sometimes airing 30mins later than ITV.

You do wonder if any of the staff in there find it as embarrassing? Surely none of them would fully say that this is a great schedule, and would share that with family and friends. Let's get on the 23rd showing of Gino's Italian Escape for the Xmas Dinner. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

My Virgin Media TV box EPG currently has the Virgin Media One schedule listed as “Channel Off Air” from Saturday onwards. Seems like quite an appropriate description to me.

You could email them and ask the scheduler if he's embarrassed, I think his name is Charles, or Cha something. Cha T Geept? Where's this I've heard of him before ? He can do everything apparently, not so sure of embarrassment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

sums it up alright...but if they can get away with it why not

Always interesting to look at Glassdoor, to see how staff/ex-staff view the place. One from Oct 2022:

Employees are overworked and underpaid, with many depts hugely understaffed due to management being unwilling to invest in staffing. They keep adding extra channels and workflows, with no consideration to the staff whose workloads will double or treble as a result. 

Nice mention to VM More and VM4 that were added during that year. A lot there about low-paying etc.. No wonder RTE were able to come in and poach them easily.

And just in case we missed it, it's on again tonight.............twice 🙄😂.

…and Christmas Day at 1.30 (VM4), then again on Dec 30th at 00.30 (VM3).

Ireland's Crazy Christmas Lights is on three times today. It made a few appearances yesterday as well.

• Advertisement

Advertisement