Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

They do have good dramas sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

No I mean Drama's bought in from ITV.

I thought you might have been talking about a TV3/VMTV drama.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I have been watching the Rugby on Virgin Media app and have a few comments and issues:

Picture quality is waaaaay better than Saorview, and it offers me a way to watch matches with Irish commentary - as opposed to watching ITV HD (on fta sat)

There are issues with live tv, playback of shows is better(if you ignore the adds)

On a Sony Bravia TV (about 1 year old) it works well - a few issues, usually coming back from an add break either the audio is out, or there is audio with no picture - solution is to press back button and ok button, it plays 1 add and usually works fine. there are occasional but rare hangs.

Andriod phone and laptop (chrome browser) no real issues, but have not tried watching a full match on them.

On a Philips andriod TV (about 5 years old) - live TV is unwatchable (playing previously transmitted programs off the menu works well) watch adds, get 30sec to 3 minutes of streamed TV, it looks like the stream gets interrupted and restart the adds (all of them) and repeat, very frustrating!!

If I cast from my android phone (on the app) to my Philips TV I get the same problem - this may be because it launches the app on the TV

I have been unable to launch live tv in the Televisions browser

Does anyone have ideas on how to get it working on the Philios TV? or any other comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭deezell

All the above is true for Sony Bravia, VM1-3 in HD, VMplayer works well, but with the glitches mentioned. During RWC I went back to Saorview as the 'Back Shortly' DOG often doesn't return at all. VM player via the Sony browser also works well, I was using this before the App came out as it was better quality than Saorview, which is not even SD, picture only 544 x 576, SD is 704x 576. Sky news on Saorview is true SD.

I've no experience with Philips android, but you could install alternative TV browsers to run the web versions of VM Player, and see how they perform. At least you haven't a Samsung, with Tizen OS, for which there is no VM player, and the Samsung browser killed off in screen Media streaming during an irreversible software update a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I see they are taking Big Brother. Cant remember if it was ever broadcast on the old TV3?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

They showed the last few series. I think the last two anyway when Channel 5 had it. Not surprised they are showing it as it is on ITV. It is great as most of Ireland who have sky or Virgin tv cannot record ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They showed the last 4 normal Big Brothers, and the last 7 Celebrity Big Brothers that were on Channel 5. They also showed BB Bit On The Side, a Rylan spin-off.

They started airing it a few months into when UTV Ireland was launched, and they were in need of something to fill the schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Whatever you think of the merits of each sport etc it is good to see all three channels being simultaneously live with sport all day.

• Advertisement

Especially as "Channel 6" was brought in under the original TV3 contract with the BAI, AFAIK VMTV THREE has retained the "UTV Ireland" license.

Not sure how VMTV Four and More fit are these separate companies are part of the original TV3 company?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Anyone else not able to watch live programmes on Virgin player on their PC ? I've tried different browsers but can't get the live shows to stream. Anyone know what the issue might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gold7

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

To follow up on my previous post about the Virgin Media player and it's qualtity

In general - I installed a new browser on the older Philips tv and I can watch live tv on that (very occasional crashes)

Lat night (on my 1 year old Sony which usually works with few problem)- for the Ireland Scotland game the video (not audio) kept pausing for about 10 seconds - had to go back to Saorview and its really bad picture, as the match started. It looks to me like they had more traffic than they could handle - This should NOT happen

Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭deezell

Have you a VPN or proxy DNS altering you PC location? Players often revert to on-demand only outside their region, they'll only permit live if your ISP uses a local region IP address as it parses out your stream request. I didn't think VM was that particular, but I think I couldn't get live on the phone once when I was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I watched the match last night on the player on a chromecast with google tv. Picture was great, way better than saorview.

Something I noticed - they were doing an on-air promo for some shows coming up and they referred to it being on VM more and VM 2. And today in the Sunday Times they had a TV review thing and referred to channel as VM1. Are they rebranding the names?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I see both VM1 and VM2 are both showing the launch of Big Brother at the exact same time tonight 9-11.

What's the point of that? 🤔

It's then repeated again at 12:30 on VM2 🙄

Yeah there seems to be a live hour every night also.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

It’s on both ITV 1 and ITV 2 tonight as well at the same time.

They really want ratings don't they!

It's getting worse than Countdown. At least they show different episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

can i ask if they even sent the commentators to Paris on Saturday night? normally with RTE you have pre match review by the commentator with a guest or co commentator? none of these seems to happen on VMTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you watch the pre match coverage? Tommy Martin and Quinlan both presented from the stadium.

Didn't seem to work. The first episode was on last night?

______

Yesterday

Any reason as to why the soccer has moved from VM 2 to VM 3?

Probably Big Brother.

1.3 million tuned in for the match on Saturday making it the highest ever viewing figure for TV3/Virgin in their twenty five years of operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yep, shifted for Big Brother, although next week BB gets moved to VM3 on Wednesday and Thursday night because of the UEFA CL and EL matches. All a bit disjointed.

Ah right, cheers. Forgot completely that BB was on.

• Advertisement

It is a strange strategy.

VM3 for BB? VM3 the channel of rolling repeats of Heartbeat and Poirot, can't see BB on ITV3. Even VM3 for sports is strange.

You think that VM1 could move around their Soaps for the matches.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement