Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sudden Stratospheric Warming 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Im afraid bob as I have said in the title of the post these were taken from netweather ,
    You can get originals if you follow this link as an EG.

See. ( EG) http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2012010612&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=324

Then refresh ( press f5) and an imageshack links shows below it. Very neat that instantweathermap site.

More direct possibilities for you Here and Here(colour) if you play with parameters. But you gotta press F5 to get that imageshack link sometimes.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

With that in mind, the warming event over Christmas was centered in the Pacific sector.

Would that be this warming? It's quite sudden

temp10anim.gif
    Is the strat warming in the Pacific forcing the Polar vortex over towards the Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Excellent stratosphere forecasts today- Mean Zonal winds are forecast to completely reverse at the 1hpa level, down to -35m/s! What we need is for this to propagate down to the 10hpa and 30hpa levels. :D

fluxes.gif

The chart showing the projected temp profile over the pole is just epic-

temps.gif

The warming at the 10Hpa level goes off the scale! But again we need this to propagate to the 30hpa level-Which it is forecast to do.

Dan :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Now looking at this 10 hPa temperature chart I record the warming maximum to be +18ºC

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=126673

Just a whopping 88ºC higher than the normal seen at this time in winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Nabber wrote: »
    Would that be this warming? It's quite sudden

temp10anim.gif
    Is the strat warming in the Pacific forcing the Polar vortex over towards the Atlantic?

OMG, thats pretty impressive, now if you said it was the result of nuclear actitivy off the coast of japan, i'd have believed that too:eek:

Ah wait :DRead the small print. The Strat Graphic comes from here

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/intraseasonal/temp10anim.shtml
    Each frame is an eleven-day mean, centered on the date indicated in the title, of 10-hPa temperature and anomalies from the NCEP Climate Data Assimilation System (CDAS). Contour interval for temperatures is 4°C, anomalies are indicated by shading. Anomalies are departures from the 1979-95 daily base period means.

Not that sudden, it could even have been warmer before the 'redburst' except that the upper atmosphere is normally that warm on that particular day and therefore shows as blue!

temp10anim.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Have to say Im simply loving the Strat forecasts today,could we be seeing a reverse of last year?
    Like previous years keep an eye on any Strat Alerts from Tokyo and there will be soon.
    http://hirweb.nict.go.jp/cgi-bin/tserdin/AandF

Upper winds showing immense reversal potential at 10 days out
    187517.JPG

This is a really good looking site showing warmings in animation using ECM if you haven't seen it already.
    http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/arctic/index.html

The Quasi-biennial Oscillation (QBO) is really getting into gear now and is intensifying. As of Dec it was -16.25, Link
    http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/qbo.data

187518.JPG

As I have said before , Major winter stratospheric warmings preferentially occur during the easterly phase of the QBO.
    This is shown by Holton and Tan (1980)

I showed before in the winter thread that in similar conditions with a weak central based La Nina the previous autumn, the results WITH a Strat warming ended up with this type of outcome.
    1985 is a big influence here

187519.JPG

redsunset wrote: »
    The Quasi-biennial Oscillation (QBO) is really getting into gear now and is intensifying. As of Dec it was -16.25, Link
    http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/qbo.data

All right, we are up to AO and NAO around here and now we get this QBO added to the mix. ;)

Can you explain what it is in some more detail please??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    All right, we are up to AO and NAO around here and now we get this QBO added to the mix. ;)

Google is our Friend ;)

The quasi-biennial oscillation (QBO) is a quasi-periodic oscillation of the equatorial zonal wind between easterlies and westerlies in the tropical stratosphere with a mean period of 28 to 29 months. The alternating wind regimes develop at the top of the lower stratosphere and propagate downwards at about 1 km (0.6 mi) per month until they are dissipated at the tropical tropopause. Downward motion of the easterlies is usually more irregular than that of the westerlies. The amplitude of the easterly phase is about twice as strong as that of the westerly phase. At the top of the vertical QBO domain, easterlies dominate, while at the bottom, westerlies are more likely to be found

• Advertisement

Have to say Im simply loving the Strat forecasts today,could we be seeing a reverse of last year?
    Like previous years keep an eye on any Strat Alerts from Tokyo and there will be soon.
    http://hirweb.nict.go.jp/cgi-bin/tserdin/AandF

Upper winds showing immense reversal potential at 10 days out
    187517.JPG

How do i read the upper winds charts ?

187524.JPG

You can see in the upper strat between 1hpa and 10hpa the strong easterly winds(Blue) like what is forecast in other similar type images.
    We want these winds to reach down lower to have a hugh influence on the weather, fingers crossed

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Try this for size,

http://books.google.ie/books?id=PvJyVtw53Y4C&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=negative+qbo+%22la+nina%22&source=bl&ots=IXrxKtAJMr&sig=M6S6IFBm1XXcO7G3eIzdt8iWdbA&hl=en&ei=IEyOTt7-GOPY0QH6uIUQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&sqi=2&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=negative%20qbo%20%22la%20nina%22&f=false

This is where i get all the previous Strat Warming conditions info since 1952
    http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/SPARC/News15/15_Labitzke.html
    Updated version
    http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/northpole/index.html

Stratospheric Connection to Northern Hemisphere Wintertime Weather:
    Implications for Prediction
    http://www.atmos.colostate.edu/ao/ThompsonPapers/ThompsonBaldwinWallace.pdf

Stratospheric Connection to Northern Hemisphere Wintertime Weather:
    Implications for Prediction
    http://www.atmos.colostate.edu/ao/ThompsonPapers/ThompsonBaldwinWallace.pdf

That explains it quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Should be interesting to see what appears in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Capillatus

It is really interesting (and understandable at the same time) to watch how ECMWF goes back and forth with the 9-10 day forecast.

From the huge zonal reversal (01.06 run) in the upper stratosphere, the new run (01.07 run) went down to only moderate reversal, now even higher. i wont talk too much, since in a couple of hours, we will see a new forecast. :) Changes like this are normal, but I cant really recall such a difference.

And as it was pointed out many times before, QBO is well in the eastern phase, and so supportive for a SSW.

On a side note:
    I have just noticed that WPO and EPO are forecasted to turn negative, with the Alaska High forecasted by ECMWF, which could mean cold for large part of US. And it looks like AO is finally going into negative, so as I understand this ECMWF projection, the 500mb PV kinda breaks/weakens, and the main part moves over Greenland and N Canada. With the Alaska High, this could bring come cold into the US. What EC also projects on the 216h and 240h, is a strong ridge over W Europe, and changing the circulation in meridional mode for much of Europe. But we all know how "reliable" are the deterministic models so far out. :)

Image source: http://policlimate.com/weather/ecmwf/ec_nh_z500.html
    187657.png

The CFS 1+2 week ensembles tell a similar story.
    187655.gif

All of this is "IMHO". :)

Best regards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hi folks can some one answer a question for me?
    It seemed over the weekend and end of last week as if we would be seeing some substantial cold from mid January.. For a while even?
    What do the latest models show? Is the cold confirmed or has it vanished for now? :(

Sorry I know these type of posts must drive you guys up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Hi folks can some one answer a question for me?
    It seemed over the weekend and end of last week as if we would be seeing some substantial cold from mid January.. For a while even?
    What do the latest models show? Is the cold confirmed or has it vanished for now? :(

Sorry I know these type of posts must drive you guys up the wall.

MOdels are showing the stepping stones for cold yes. But still nothing severe as of yet as models are still getting "attacked" by westerly flow when we need an easterly.

This thread for Strat. warming is a good indication into knowing a pattern change is on its way. OF which there is. SO ye... we are left to hope! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Cheers Ian, I am a complete novice when it comes to reading these models so I've been doing my best to keep up with what's going on here but some time's it not easy.

Back to praying for snow!

Last question, how long could it take for an easterly to kick in? :confused:
    Is it some thing that might not show up in these models and surprise us all or will there be an early indication? :pac:

The important bit here is not necessarily the warming, but how it affects the polar vortex. So far we see a reversal of the mean zonal winds forecast for the top of the stratosphere ( 1hPa) followed by a quick return of the reforming vortex. Lower down we do not even see a displacement enough to reverse the mean zonal winds in the mid stratosphere. The warmer stratosphere will affect the troposphere but this will not be as pronounced as a mid level propagation and full reversal and disintergration of the vortex would create.

Things could change but so far it does look like the unfavourable E-P flux could be an inhibiting factor some what.

For those still looking for wholesale tropospheric changes and instant high latitude blocking should hold out a little longer.

Right just where the hell are we at the moment, in how the minor Strat Warming is progressing toward influencing this chaotic layer at the bottom of the atmosphere, where we just so happen to reside.

Well below we can see that the very cold Strat conditions earlier are still having an influence, however as you can see, "The End Is Nigh"

Wipe the sweat from the brows folks, we might be losing 1-0 but it is only half time. We're sending on the world class strikers for the second half. Game on.

PS
    I shall be chanting from the stands.

time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_JFM_NH_2012.gif

As you can see from the image above that there was a another burst of cold at 150hpa giving the extra momentum. I see it nearing the end of its rule so will be looking for effect from that warming to reach further down through the Strat

time_pres_UGRD_ANOM_JFM_NH_2012.gif

We want those Easterlys (Green) to reach down as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Right just where the hell are we at the moment, in how the minor Strat Warming is progressing toward influencing this chaotic layer at the bottom of the atmosphere, where we just so happen to reside.

Well below we can see that the very cold Strat conditions earlier are still having an influence, however as you can see, "The End Is Nigh"

Wipe the sweat from the brows folks, we might be losing 1-0 but it is only half time. We're sending on the world class strikers for the second half. Game on.

PS
    I shall be chanting from the stands.

time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_JFM_NH_2012.gif

As you can see from the image above that there was a another burst of cold at 150hpa giving the extra momentum. I see it nearing the end of its rule so will be looking for effect from that warming to reach further down through the Strat

time_pres_UGRD_ANOM_JFM_NH_2012.gif

We want those Easterlys (Green) to reach down as much as possible.

Unfortunately our world class strikers are Fernando Torres and Andy Carroll.

Unfortunately our world class strikers are Fernando Torres and Andy Carroll.

Nope, I sent on Lionel Messi and David villa. Should make an impact.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would say the outcome is about 50-50 looking at the GFS perturbations, some are much better than others. There are some "cracking" snowstorms in some of the runs at about 8-12 days out. Others have big windstorms in a cold zonal pattern similar to 3-5 January.

The thing is, once some blocking is established, then if the Atlantic is not as strong as before, it could start to weaken. I don't actually think in those terms, for me, the atmosphere is a response to external signals and so that kind of analysis is "teleological" language that ascribes motive or purpose to inanimate forces. But more to the point, the short waves can only go where the long waves say, it's not the other way around as so many weather watchers seem to assume. When people talk about "this storm will break down the block" what is really happening is that the block, by breaking down, will permit the storm through. Large-scale features are responding to one set of external signals (in my theory) and short-waves are lunar interference patterns that fall into that system, and have to go where the system directs them. It's like getting on a roller coaster, you can only go where the rails go, not where you would like to go.

Yes high pressure is like a rock in a pond and the water (Storm) has to go round it until rock is removed.

What I'm playfully saying in the other post is that I would like The Polar Vortex destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Extremely metaphoric answer, still on the topic of weather of course...
    Sounds like a dream strike-force redsunset, and that's all well and good, but in the current set-up there are other variables to add to the equation:
    1) They are playing with an oval ball
    2) The goalposts keep moving
    3) Villa's mind is controlling Messi's feet, and vice-versa
    4) Vidic & Pique are playing in defense, with Valdes in goal.
    It doesn't mean there's not potential for a good result though, it's just not a certainty. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

The only thing that is worrying about that analogy red is that David villa broke his leg a month back....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

dexter647 wrote: »
    The only thing that is worrying about that analogy red is that David villa broke his leg a month back....:eek:

Then he's really not going to appreciate point #3 above...

Advertisement