Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

Spain state of alarm has been extended to April 12. Theirs was also supposed to be 29 March

And they are probably two to three weeks ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Aegir wrote: »
    And they are probably two to three weeks ahead of us.

Yes, they had 25 cases late February. Now over 11k.

Just saying, no one should expect this to be over and done with at the end of March, as sad as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

This isn't going to be over soon, nothing short of eradication will allow things to return to normality.

Eradicating it on this Island will be monumentally challenging, especially as too many people are failing to properly isolate themselves.

China has only had some success by forcing an already compliant population to be completely locked down for months.

Short of a medical breakthrough that hasn't been possible with other viral infections globally I can't see this being eradicated at all, our way of life has changed for good, free movement and especially global tourism is gone.

I find it hard to believe that people are still thinking of this as some short term interruption to their lives that will just blow over in a week or two, it won't.

Amazon is hiring work from home reps €12 pH.

Any link to this?

• Advertisement

Thanks ^

Applied to Amazon myself there, took around 30 mins, virtual simulation assessment at the end and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Don't see many reports of a run on the off licenses and supermarkets for grog.

Is this going to herald a change in our love for the oul pub/alcohol or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I don't understand why everything has to be shut down like this. 86% of people infected have mild or no symptoms. Just put resources and cocoon those over 65 and at risk and let everybody else go about their business

I run a supermarket off licence. We are doing Christmas levels of business all week. We've had 32 pallets of beer, wine and spirits delivered over the last two days alone. Another monster delivery due on Saturday too. People are stocking up. A lot of vodka is being used for hand sanitiser though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Reports on the radio earlier that some pubs in Limerick and Kerry havent closed at all.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Reports on the radio earlier that some pubs in Limerick and Kerry havent closed at all.

They shouldn't, this whole thing is ridiculous, if people want to avoid getting the flu then stay home from the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What is the rule though? I didn't read anything about legislation forcing pubs to close but read that the cops shut a pub in Cabra last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'd say there's a good few people drinking at home to while away the evenings until this whole thing is over. It wouldn't surprise me if more people become dependent on alcohol over the next few months, if anything.

It is a voluntary thing for sure. But name and shame otherwise I don't believe you.

Most responsible pubs are observing the rules and have shut down now.

I just wondered how the pub attending people are coping!

I run a supermarket off licence. We are doing Christmas levels of business all week. We've had 32 pallets of beer, wine and spirits delivered over the last two days alone. Another monster delivery due on Saturday too. People are stocking up. A lot of vodka is being used for hand sanitiser though!

I hope you are considering hiring some barstaff who have been laid off to help with the extra work load. Im sure it feels nice your new found success but to be a winner in this situation theres gonna be losers aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Idiots, were they not told that it has to be at least 60% alcohol to be effective as hand sanitizer?

I don't understand why everything has to be shut down like this. 86% of people infected have mild or no symptoms. Just put resources and cocoon those over 65 and at risk and let everybody else go about their business

It's not difficult to understand at all, I'm relatively low-risk in my thirties and healthy. It's the immune suppressed and elderly I worry about. And I don't want to chance contraction of covid-19 in clustered pub or restaurant gatherings and unknowingly transmit it to the vulnerable. Let's consider these people, they're human beings like you and me so it's a tiny price to make non-essential sacrifices for the greater good.

Don't see many reports of a run on the off licenses and supermarkets for grog.

Is this going to herald a change in our love for the oul pub/alcohol or what?

Off Licences were extremely busy. Supermarkets sell alcohol.

So, that’s hard luck then. Sorry.

It's not difficult to understand at all, I'm relatively low-risk in my thirties and healthy. It's the immune suppressed and elderly I worry about. And I don't want to chance contraction of covid-19 in clustered pub or restaurant gatherings and unknowingly transmit it to the vulnerable. Let's consider these people, they're human beings like you and me so it's a tiny price to make non-essential sacrifices for the greater good.

As I just said in my post which you conveniently ignored and then strawmanned me, put resources medical, financial, and otherwise into cocooning the elderly and most vulnerable and let everybody else go to work and do their business. Its not a far out idea, instead of shutting everything down and crashing the economy. Im sure most elederly people would be happy to adhere to such measures

• Advertisement

I suppose as long as the off licenses are open all is good.

Not the same though re social contact and all that, but it had to happen.

We can adapt, which is good.

As I just said in my post which you conveniently ignored and then strawmanned me, put resources medical, financial, and otherwise into cocooning the elderly and most vulnerable and let everybody else go to work and do their business. Its not a far out idea, instead of shutting everything down and crashing the economy. Im sure most elederly people would be happy to adhere to such measures

The elderly are some of the worst to keep under wraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You can't cocoon those over 65 when 22% of adults in Ireland aged 25-34 live with their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do you seriously think that the countries enacting these policies, some in lockdown, are doing so in a frenzy of hysterical overreaction?

52% increase in confirmed cases here today, one death where no underlying medical condition was reported. This will increase day by day.

But yeah, let's all go on the piss. Be grand like.

I hope you are considering hiring some barstaff who have been laid off to help with the extra work load. Im sure it feels nice your new found success but to be a winner in this situation theres gonna be losers aswell

I work for one of the big multiples. Ordinary staff member but saddled with much of a managers role for no extra money. Hiring has absolutely nothing to do with me though I absolutely hope that people laid off due to circumstances caused by this poxy virus get hired elsewhere quickly.

I work for one of the big multiples. Ordinary staff member but saddled with much of a managers role for no extra money. Hiring has absolutely nothing to do with me though I absolutely hope that people laid off due to circumstances caused by this poxy virus get hired elsewhere quickly.

Fair enough. But theres nothing stopping you going to HR saying you need extra help as you are really swamped with the big orders coming in. recommend they take an ad out seeking recently laid off bar staff. Sure they mightened listen to you but at least you did something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Do you seriously think that the countries enacting these policies, some in lockdown, are doing so in a frenzy of hysterical overreaction?

52% increase in confirmed cases here today, one death where no underlying medical condition was reported. This will increase day by day.

But yeah, let's all go on the piss. Be grand like.

what age was the person who died today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What is the rule though? I didn't read anything about legislation forcing pubs to close but read that the cops shut a pub in Cabra last night.

Still many places in the city centre/Dorset st/ phibsboro to get a pint. Have to go through the back door though. I brought a couple of lads into a place on Parnell Street yesterday for a few 'illegal ones' but the place almost had tumbleweed rolling through it, and this particular hostelry is a spot that doesn't mind flouting the law for those in the know so I expected it to be jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

100% - 86% = 14%.

Compare 14% of the population with the number of hospital beds and ventilators in the country, and you'll understand why we are in a phase called Delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not sure it's fair to push guilt onto someone who wasn't even in the slightest gloating.

Advertisement