Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’m still planning to go on my long weekend the weekend after next. If there are travel restrictions in place then I’ll observe them but I’m not going to cancel my holiday if millions of other people are frrrly flying around the world.

I won’t be the first one to lose out. I am not Spartacus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Heading with the wife and kids to Milan for the Patrick's weekend break. I've all booked and paid for so here's hoping theres no travel restrictions.

None of us are at risk so I'm not too worried to be honest.

You would all need to self isolate after your return?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have booked Costa del Sol for a few days end March. The only thing would stop me would be a government travel prohibition. No issue self isolating on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Heading to Budapest on Sun, no cases in Hungary so far, (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

anewme wrote: »
    You would all need to self isolate after your return?

Not unless we were sick I presume. Chances of catching anything are probably fairly slim. We'll all be wearing masks or light scarfs in corwded places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

We're heading to Seville in a few weeks, still going at the moment.

its worth checking your travel insurance if you have any - which you should. Check the fine print for terms.

Our T&C's currently cover us if we were to bail out and not go, but unless its a no go area by DFA we will go, once its not too badly infected.

DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS LINK RE THE VIRUS:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/

COUNTRY / REGION SEARCH HERE:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/

COVID 19 not even on the front page of their websitesite ffs - they are cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Due to go to Milan next Friday (which we had given up on) but Aer Lingus have said we can rebook for 30 days later for no charge.
    We're going to do that and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

None of us are at risk so I'm not too worried to be honest.

Once you're ok that's all that matters :rolleyes:

Would you not feel guilty if you picked it up and passed it onto an elderly relative who's at a far bigger risk than you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

marvin80 wrote: »

Would you not feel guilty if you picked it up and passed it onto an elderly relative who's at a far bigger risk than you?

Just stay away from them for 2 weeks after you come home?elderly relatives and parents i mean.

marvin80 wrote: »

It is not just elderly relatives of those travelling though. It is elderly relatives of those OP and wife work with and everyone at the childrens schools.

And it can take time to show up.

I'd be having words with HR if someone in the office rocked up on a Monday after a weekend in Northern Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It is not just elderly relatives of those travelling though. It is elderly relatives of those OP and wife work with and everyone at the childrens schools.

I'd be having words with HR if someone in the office rocked up on a Monday after a weekend in Northern Italy.

What precisely do you think HR can do?

Protect their employees as is their duty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51625733

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51625733

Great stuff has the Irish government stated the same and who pays the employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Ha! Words with HR :D

If someone wants to pay me to stay at home after my holiday they're more than welcome. I'd imagine you'll get short shrift if you were in pestering HR about this.

If someone wants to pay me to stay at home after my holiday they're more than welcome. I'd imagine you'll get short shrift if you were in pestering HR about this.

They would have to pay you allright.

But if you think HR would not take it seriously, then you are mistaken. We've had similar already about travel it is being taken seriously. Ive no doubt there would be numerous complaints.

And schools similar - if parents heard there are pupils back from Northern Italy, you can guarantee there would be complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

In relation to travel to Italy - current DFA advice is to self-isolate if you have returned from 4 specified regions in Italy AND are showing symptoms. Or if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case and again AND are showing symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Does anyone know what happens where an airline cancels flights to an area but the cancellation only applies on your return journey?

For example if someone was due to fly to Spain next week then the flights are cancelled for the week after for the return flight?

Does that mean the airline only needs to refund for the flight back even though you cannot complete your full trip due to the cancellation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

My Company has just cancelled all international travel globally until the 1st of April at least.

It's a very large multi-national with 150k+ employees . I personally had 3 overseas trips scheduled for March , they are now deferred until sometime in April at the earliest.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    My Company has just cancelled all international travel globally until the 1st of April at least.

It's a very large multi-national with 150k+ employees . I personally had 3 overseas trips scheduled for March , they are now deferred until sometime in April at the earliest.

And that’s good. Fair play to them for being willing to take the first step. But it doesn’t mean anything unless everyone Nationally and internationally agrees to do the same - no travel.

It takes someone to step forward and be first. And if everyone agrees to do it, I’ll do it too. But in the meantime, I’ll go on holiday as planned.

• Advertisement

Great stuff has the Irish government stated the same and who pays the employee?

With the second case in Ireland from Northern Italy, Lombardy (Milan) will not be recommended by the Irish Govt.

Theres clearly a risk to anyone travelling, plus those they come in contact with. Youd be mad to take a chance.

If you think HR wont act in the interest of other employees, youd want to revisit it.

And still our travel agent wont cancel our scheduled trip to milan on Friday and give us a refund...

And still our travel agent wont cancel our scheduled trip to milan on Friday and give us a refund...

Terrible Barney.

I’d say the Govr advices are only in the process of being issued.

You can’t go surely?

No we're not going.
    Aer Lingus will let us push the flights out by 30 days but the thoughts of air travel anywhere doesn't appeal at all right now.

No we're not going.
    Aer Lingus will let us push the flights out by 30 days but the thoughts of air travel anywhere doesn't appeal at all right now.

I've usually 3 holidays booked by now and I've none. I had almost pressed go on a very expensive trip to Japan. I missed out on booking by say a day or so.

Even if you went, just to not waste the flights, the place would be bloody miserable, so you'd probably be throwing good money after bad.

With the second case in Ireland from Northern Italy, Lombardy (Milan) will not be recommended by the Irish Govt.

Theres clearly a risk to anyone travelling, plus those they come in contact with. Youd be mad to take a chance.

If you think HR wont act in the interest of other employees, youd want to revisit it.

I wonder if the Italians will travel to Ireland for the match this weekend. The match is off but they probably had flights and accommodation booked and were looking forward to the weekend away. When they see Ireland only has 2 cases they’ll probably think “shur I’m safer in Ireland than here in Italy”.

5000 were booked to come but I wonder how many will come anyway. Italian rugby is mostly a northern Italy sport. Ireland could be riddled by the time they leave. Such is the half arsed approach to dealing with the virus.

Even if you went, just to not waste the flights, the place would be bloody miserable, so you'd probably be throwing good money after bad.

Fully agree, I'd say Milan is like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Right.6 cases here now.is everyone still going to travel?i have about 12 days to make a decision :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Right.6 cases here now.is everyone still going to travel?i have about 12 days to make a decision :(
    Where are you meant to be going?
    I was meant to be going with aerlingus to lake Garda via Verona.
    Hotel have let me use hotel as credit anytime til the end of next year.
    Aerlingus no refund yet but expecting the flights to be cancelled closer to the time

• Advertisement

You'd be imagining very much wrong then...letter today from HR cancelling business travel and stating people who travel to certain regions on a personal basis (including Northern Italy) should not return to the office within 14 days of landing back in Ireland as a precaution.

I dont think I will be the only person in an office environment getting this type of communication.

I'd say the same would apply to your children returning from Milan as well from a school point of view.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement