Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst things about christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

One of the things I dislike are Athiests happily celebrating Christmas without seeing the inherent contradiction in it.

If you're a self professed intellectually superior Athiest with no time for make believe like those religious yokels at least have consistency in your convictions.

For me, Christmas has absolutely nothing to do with some make believe diety. Like many posters have said, it's a special time of year to celebrate with loved ones when everyone has at least a couple of days off work so people have more time to visit each other and more time to spend with each other. For me it's about celebrating life and the year that has gone by.
    Also, I'm not an Atheist. For me, calling yourself an Atheist is only describing what you don't believe in, rather than what you do believe in. I don't know how to label myself and my beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Best: Family, traditions, Tayto sandwiches with leftover turkey

Worst: Seeing parents getting older, realising you've managed to last another year without finding someone special for yourself. Choosing to practice bitterness at Christmas. Live and let live people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    No. A normal roast dinner is easy, meat & potatoes into one roasting tin, steam the veg, gravy and a tub of ice cream, you're done.

There are so many dishes cooked from scratch on Christmas day, each cooked in batches, re-heated, know your timings.. make cranberry sauce, bread sauce and gravy and there are always at least two puddings, if not three, so no it's not as easy as a straight forward slap up Sunday roast.. oh and I forgot to mention the starters.

To our family a Christmas dinner,(freshly made stuffing, side dishes,etc), desserts,starters is a fairly standard thing. My mother was swapping presents with her friends the other day and they were laughing at the ordeal people make out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

realising you've managed to last another year without finding someone special for yourself.

Ohh lord yes. If I can even get one date in 2018 it will be an improvement on this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Best: Lights, sounds, drums, guitars. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

To our family a Christmas dinner,(freshly made stuffing, side dishes,etc), desserts,starters is a fairly standard thing. My mother was swapping presents with her friends the other day and they were laughing at the ordeal people make out of it

No one I know would ever laugh at anyone who gets stressed cooking lots of different dishes.. many want food, especially meat, cooked perfectly so it can be enjoyed.. nothing at all wrong with people becoming stressed. Each to their own.. many people don't cook everyday either and haven't got the experience of stay-at-home Mammies.

I can whip up a super large Sunday lunch or a simple one without batting an eye, but I would never be that blasé about Christmas dinner or laugh at other people who struggle to manage to get it all done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

One of the things I dislike are Athiests happily celebrating Christmas without seeing the inherent contradiction in it.

Don't see the contradiction really, Christmas is about much more than Christians, afterall the winter festival predates Christ by a few thousand years.

Likes: people tend to be nicer (except while shopping lol), the buzz, the food, relaxing and enjoying.

Dislikes: the holy tosh bit, the pressure, the cost but then that's really down to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Best: food,drink,family.

Worst: horrific television programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

bee06 wrote: »
    heldel00 wrote: »
    Best: Due baby 11th January
    Worst: Due baby 11th January

(I'm rolling round the place like a big bale of hay trying my best to be festive. Worst bit of my Christmas eve was when even the maternity jeans wouldn't fit this morning)

I feel your pain! I was due last Tuesday ... still preggers.

Anyway, best for me is my family members coming home and spending time with them.

There are no worsts for me! It’s all good.
    Awake all night with vomiting bug too. Just wanna curl up in my bed but I'm too nosey and afraid I'd miss something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Best family home(normal, a day off, the presents).
    Worst : the cost of the whole thing, deceased family members..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

thesultan wrote: »
    Best family home(normal, a day off, the presents).
    Worst : the cost of the whole thing, deceased family members..

Cost is right! managed to get most presents down to €12 average bein unemployed and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Best part being on my own the whole day

Worst part being alone all year

• Registered Users Posts: 37,891 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

had a Bailey's mixed with a cap full of vodka mixed with crushed ice Shaken in a mixer

absolutely horrendous tasting but I prob made a mess making it lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

For me this is the most boring awful part of the Christmas holidays. I'm too full to drink and I don't watch TV and too lethargic to do anything really so I'm just bored to tears! Can't wait till tomorrow till I can get out and about again, a nice cycle into town when I wake up.

For me this is the most boring awful part of the Christmas holidays. I'm too full to drink and I don't watch TV and too lethargic to do anything really so I'm just bored to tears! Can't wait till tomorrow till I can get out and about again, a nice cycle into town when I wake up.

Would you not say a few prayers?

:pac:

Would you not say a few prayers?

:pac:

I don't actually know any, I went to primary As Gaeilge so whatever they thought me there is gone now, I never knew the words in secondary when teachers made us recite them in the mornings, I just mumbled along.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big game of Scrabble or War as it's called in my house.
    Board about to get tumbled soon.

I don't actually know any, I went to primary As Gaeilge so whatever they thought me there is gone now, I never knew the words in secondary when teachers made us recite them in the mornings, I just mumbled along.

I don't know any either :) Well maybe a bit of the Our Father.

I don't know any either :) Well maybe a bit of the Our Father.

I suppose I could just read the lyrics from the internet, over and over, until I fall asleep, at probably 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

I suppose I could just read the lyrics from the internet, over and over, until I fall asleep, at probably 4am

Stick on some music and keep drinking till 4am like what I'm doing. This is the only monday night we'll get away with it. Turn it up to 11

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    Stick on some music and keep drinking till 4am like what I'm doing. This is the only monday night we'll get away with it. Turn it up to 11

I ate too much so beer is having no effect! Might try and root out something harder, hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I hate all the anti drink driving adds and misery campaigns from all the charities. I am thankful for what I have, I dont need to be made feel guilty for having it thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The rubbish that the tv companies put out at 21:45 on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Right now the best of eastenders, earlier I thought the best was my Mam’s baileys cheesecake

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

RobAMerc wrote:
    ....... and misery campaigns from all the charities. I am thankful for what I have, I dont need to be made feel guilty for having it thanks

That's some post on Christmas day, of all days.

They're not specifically trying to remind you of what you have, they're trying to make you aware of what others less fortunate do not have.

They don't want you to feel guilty, they want you to feel empathy and compassion.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im not at all religious. Completely atheist as are my whole family
    But I like going, nice getting dressed up. 10am mass stops us from sleeping in late so we make the most of the day. I think a nice bit of slightly boring mass and standing and kneeling to prayers gives some balance to a day of completely gluttony and pleasure
    And the hymns and choir are beautiful to listen to.
    Its something Ill be doing every christmas till the end of my life!

Oh i want a good miserable time.....keep me on the straight and narrow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Best:
    Having laugh with family

And seeing all the ads put up on donedeal by obviously drunken people :D:D

Worst: the over ending pressure on people to spend money/party too much and have yoo many sweets

Also the amount of people going for PCP next week is boring listening to them go on and on about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i went to a 2 hour latin mass today...presided by Father Ultan, he gives good mass works the altar like a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Best thing about Christmas is spending it with a member of your family that I love so much and that is with my mam.

The worst thing about Christmas is losing someone close to you on Christmas Day. My uncle's partner had started to go through this process while her mother died in hospital on Christmas Day of last year. It's not all bad though; she has a son, a daughter & her family to keep herself busy & happy for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I hate all the anti drink driving adds and misery campaigns from all the charities. I am thankful for what I have, I dont need to be made feel guilty for having it thanks

The Northern anti drink driving ads are pretty extreme to say the least which come up on the English tv channels from time to time and on UTV. They'd make our ones look like ads for childrens toys. Like horror shows so they are.

Advertisement