Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acid attack on Dublin woman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Easily sorted. Deport foreign prisoners back to their home country to finish prison term.

No one has yet ever explained why this doesn't happen!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That detail I missed. More likely a jilted ex then.

That's what I be thinking. I reckon it might be somebody she knows. But that's just a guess.

• Site Banned Posts: 15 Dancing Inferno

Easily sorted. Deport foreign prisoners back to their home country to finish prison term.

Exactly. And no bs about their human 'rights' being threatened. You had your chance here, you blew it, now out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Which solves nothing since we already have over-crowding of the prisons, with both, judges handing out shorter sentencing for crimes, and the prisons themselves releasing prisoners early to reduce populations. If you look at sentencing worldwide, you'll find that only the most severe of cases actually serve their full terms.

Simply locking people up in prison is not working. It hasn't worked for decades. It's just that all the alternatives are considered to be "uncivilised".

Admittedly, our reform system is extremely flawed, in that even after time has been served, former criminals are still punished by having a record, which prevents them from fully rejoining society. There really should be better educational systems in place to give those serving prison time, the skills needed to get a job that provides a reasonable income too.
    Funny enough Norway seem to have lowered recidivism rates considerably through jails that are far, far nicer than what you would find here as the emphasis is placed far more on rehabilitation and teaching them to become better functioning members of a society, starting with their own little society within the prison. Many even keep sharp knives in full access in the kitchen areas. It's a really interesting concept, all in all.

Well they do, either through addictions or at the hands of other scumbags.

Unlikely. "Scumbags" are just one side of the coin. There are plenty of violent criminals who are intelligent enough to avoid death from crime or avoid doing drugs.
    If we stopped importing people for a few years & put the money back into the country there would be a lot less scumbags in a decade. Scumbags become scumbags due to the area they live in & its usually got to do with unemployment, recession in the country.

So... if I go to live in a scumbag area, I will become a scumbag? Err.. Your logic is quite bizarre.

Inadequate education, opportunities for employment, etc are far greater reasons for people to turn to criminal activities than your reasons... and even then, that's far too simplistic.

And while I tend to agree that ireland should be more careful with it's immigration policies, I definitely don't agree with your linking of immigrants to crime here.
    Longer jail times where theres no playstations & their benefits goes to the jail to pay for their keep. Less playstation time more education or learning a trade while inside

Agreed about the education and trade skills for gainful employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

There is no guarantee they will be made to finish their sentences in their own countries. If we carry out the sentence then justice has been seen done if we deport and the foreign govt dont bother with charges then he has escaped justice and thats not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I'm sure if Leo spoke to the Polish PM & said we would like to transport your criminals back to you, we will pay something towards the cost. We are looking after many of your country people here. I'm sure he would agree. They are probably looking for some of them anyway

Any stats to show the massive ratio of immigrant criminals vs domestic criminals in our jails? because that's what you seem to be suggesting exists. :rolleyes:

Unlikely. "Scumbags" are just one side of the coin. There are plenty of violent criminals who are intelligent enough to avoid death from crime or avoid doing drugs.

So... if I go to live in a scumbag area, I will become a scumbag? Err.. Your logic is quite bizarre.

Inadequate education, opportunities for employment, etc are far greater reasons for people to turn to criminal activities than your reasons... and even then, that's far too simplistic.

And while I tend to agree that ireland should be more careful with it's immigration policies, I definitely don't agree with your linking of immigrants to crime here.

Agreed about the education and trade skills for gainful employment.

No but if you lose your job chances are future generations of your family might be. I have seen respectable families become scumbags over the generations due to no jobs, who moves to the area etc
    Not linking immigration with crime but if we are taking people in we are paying for them so that money could be better spent looking after our own country first. If someone comes here & has a job lined up then I say welcome if they come to get benefits then bye

Any stats to show the massive ratio of immigrant criminals vs domestic criminals in our jails? because that's what you seem to be suggesting exists. :rolleyes:

Not saying theres a massive ratio of immigrant criminals nor am I suggesting that the crime in this country is down to immigrants. (15% roughly from what I can see ) ut if we dont have them here we have space for our own

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD

This. Is. Not. A. Thread. On. Immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No we do not, unless you think the Irish people being a minority in our own country by 2050.
    Pensions depend on fresh blood bringing in the money. No fresh blood, and anyone who retires may not get their full pension.
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    The level of forethought you have to put into something like this is astounding.
    Put it into a spray bottle, walk to random victim, spray.
    emo72 wrote: »
    Good be with the days when you could have a "straightener" to sort out any issues. A few bruises and your ego was the only thing damaged. Now it's I'll melt your girlfriends face? WTF.
    Before, you'd need to track down the person, and have a heavy beat him up. Now, any kid that wants "street cred" can walk up to someone and spray them :mad:
    She's a Chinese national, highly unlikely it's related to the gangland feud.
    Could be retaliation for a drugs deal gone wrong, or it could be simply gang initiation.
    Two wrongs dont make a right
    We are stuck with our scumbags until they die off, we dont have to import foreign scumbags to replace them
    Unless you sterilize them, they'll just pump out several dozen on welfare.
    They could either refuse to import them, or set them free if their culture allows it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Such a sick thing to do, hoping to maim someone and make them suffer for the rest of their life. This needs heavy sentences right from the start

the_syco wrote: »
    Pensions depend on fresh blood bringing in the money. No fresh blood, and anyone who retires may not get their full pension.

Sorry but if you think importing people with no connection to Ireland just in the hope that they will work is just idiotic
    Why not make Ireland a country where our own people from around the world will come home & work? Our politicians never think of this though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Tenigate wrote: »
    Had it been a white on white acid attack, it would be a landmark moment for western culture. Asian on asian though, that's just a sign of what liberals like to call multiculturalism. Hopefully one that can be reversed.

Whites just tend to use broken beer bottles, pint glasses or stanley knives to disfigure each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I saw a comment somewhere that acid attacks should carry an immediate 20 year sentence. I'd agree with this, it might put a halt on these acid attacks before they become as common as they are in England.

Absolutely one of the worst crimes you can commit behind murder and rape.

Yeah it would be the best outcome:D
    Unfortunately the liberals over there complained about the stop & search, only picking on certain groups. The thing is when its black kids killing black kids in poor areas theres no point searching white kids in wealthier areas

Always have to bring up liberals when your thirst for vigilantism and mob rule is questioned.

People like you talk tough and wax macho about violent punishments but you'd sh1t your pants if you had to live
    in an African bantustan where people routinely have a tyre forced over their body and then doused with petrol and set alight and left screaming until they finally die
    or are macheted to pieces in broad daylight by crazed mobs because they are suspected of a crime.

The kind of extra-judicial mob savagery that you get a hardon over is routine in places like this but I suspect you'd actually be a lot happier
    to live in a society where tree-hugging liberals, disgusting as they are, would prevent any such atrocities from happening to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

he could be a Dub he could be from Mars.

can we least wait till we know who did it?

it could be anybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Its a heinous thing, really just inhuman. When you think of the thought process that goes into this......its just a "wow" moment.

It is absolutely of foreign origin, extremely common and more or less accepted in less developed parts of the world. It was also perpetrated in this instance on a non-irish person. Its not a coincidence.

It was imported into the UK. And MAYBE in this case you can say it was imported from the uk to here.

It might not be a non-irish person that perpetrated the act. But the more that this is "defended" by not allowing discussion/condemnation of the cultures that normalise this elsewhere, the more it gains a foot hold here (or wherever).

By the time it is perpetrated enough, you are exposing the home-grown scum bags to new methods of depravity, they copy it, and hey presto, now it has turned into OUR problem, and you cant point a finger anywhere, cant really stop it.

For the sake of argument, imagine a more extreme version of this event. Beheadings, lets say. You hear about it often enough in the UK, it starts here, its defended from cultural criticism......eventually beheadings become an "accepted", not-shocking, from of criminality here.

Constant race downwards. Hope the girl is okay and the piece of filth gets whats coming to him, morally and legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Until we know who actually carried out this attack, I would also strongly suggest that everyone take precautions. This could be some deranged individual who is just attacking at random. That has happened in London where even pizza delivery people were attacked and there was really no motivation at all, other than pure malice.

It's quite possible she was attacked at random just because she happened to be unfortunate enough to pass someone with an intent to do harm.

All we know was the moment is there's someone out there who's been attacking people with acid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

hopefully it isn't like the sucker punching that has gone on in previous years where as has been said, the victim is just in the wrong place at the wrong time

Even without the horrible injuries being randomly attacked like that can change someone forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Well, until we know that isn't what's going on, I think I would stick to well lit public walks until the Gardai have more information or someone in custody.

If you see someone suspicious hanging around, let the Gardai know too. They need information on this ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Lets hope the guards catch this scumbag and then he can feel the full force of the law we cant allow this sort of crap to take hold in this country.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's all stuff you can buy in your local supermarket that is used. 'Acid' attack is just the term used although not specifically acid.

I've watched a Vice documentary on this recently, there was a guy interviewed that carried out a number of the attacks and I think he used the word 'humiliation' a few times too many.
    His M.O. was to do it to the wives/girlfriends of anyone that got in his way, as it was an even deeper humiliation.

It also showed some victims and how their lives have been impacted.

Shocking stuff altogether.

It's generally done to women because the man effectively wants to wreck her/their life. Usually it's done to condemn her to a life of misery, unemployment, loneliness and degradation and quite often the reasons are because the woman shunned his advances or was "strong and independent" and his inadequacies cause him to take her "down a peg or two" or if he can't have her then he's going to make sure nobody is going to want to have her.

It is truly sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

flaneur wrote: »
    Until we know who actually carried out this attack, I would also strongly suggest that everyone take precautions. This could be some deranged individual who is just attacking at random. That has happened in London where even pizza delivery people were attacked and there was really no motivation at all, other than pure malice.

It's quite possible she was attacked at random just because she happened to be unfortunate enough to pass someone with an intent to do harm.

All we know was the moment is there's someone out there who's been attacking people with acid.

We know that 'Gardaí do not believe this assault was a random attack and are following a definite line of enquiry'.

Ease off on the hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

It does seem that she knew her attacker. The Independent article says that the Gardaí don't believe the attack was random and are following a "definite line of inquiry".

I live in the area, and a friend texted me to say she works in <snip> pub and was on her way home. There's only two Chinese girls who work in <snip> and they are both lovely, quiet individuals. I'd stake me house that they're not involved in any gangland crime. Booterstown's not really a hotbed of that sort of activity. I'd say it was an ex. Now, he could be Chinese, he could be Irish, who knows. There's been a lot of coverage regarding acid attacks in London in the news recently. Any Irish person could figure out how to carry out an attack and you do see a lot of Irish guys with far-eastern girlfriends so it's certainly not a forgone conclusion that the guy was a foreigner.

Chrongen wrote: »
    Always have to bring up liberals when your thirst for vigilantism and mob rule is questioned.

People like you talk tough and wax macho about violent punishments but you'd sh1t your pants if you had to live
    in an African bantustan where people routinely have a tyre forced over their body and then doused with petrol and set alight and left screaming until they finally die
    or are macheted to pieces in broad daylight by crazed mobs because they are suspected of a crime.

The kind of extra-judicial mob savagery that you get a hardon over is routine in places like this but I suspect you'd actually be a lot happier
    to live in a society where tree-hugging liberals, disgusting as they are, would prevent any such atrocities from happening to you.

How did me saying that liberals stopped the police from doing stop & search in London due to perceived racism result in you spewing out that sh11te where did I say anything about vigilantism or mob rule??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How did me saying that liberals stopped the police from doing stop & search in London due to perceived racism result in you spewing out that sh11te where did I say anything about vigilantism or mob rule??

It wasn't "perceived".
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/black-people-still-far-more-likely-to-be-stopped-and-searched-by-police-than-other-ethnic-groups-10444436.html

• Advertisement

If there is black on black stabbings, who are you going to stop & search?

.....do you know anything about Dorset..? Ever been? Read about it?

Odhinn wrote: »
    .....do you know anything about Dorset..? Ever been? Read about it?

I was talking about London in my OP not dorset. I'm sure there are areas where there are racist police. Dorset wouldn't really be known as a kind of Peckham area.
    What I dont get is if the police pull over 100 black people & they find 1 knife then surely thats a good thing. The problem is in the UK ( same in USA ) black people although small percentage of population are responsible for high level of crime. So if police see black people in a nice area where not many black people they will want to know why they are there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Well they do, either through addictions or at the hands of other scumbags.
    If we stopped importing people for a few years & put the money back into the country there would be a lot less scumbags in a decade. Scumbags become scumbags due to the area they live in & its usually got to do with unemployment, recession in the country. Longer jail times where theres no playstations & their benefits goes to the jail to pay for their keep. Less playstation time more education or learning a trade while inside

You really have a simplistic view of the world. People in prison don't get benefits for a start so don't know what made you think they did.

And what do you mean by importing people? It's not like we're buying them?

pilly wrote: »
    You really have a simplistic view of the world. People in prison don't get benefits for a start so don't know what made you think they did.

Importing as in letting too many unsavoury characters in to the country and yes there is already enough home grown scumbags here without allowing any more in which will only add to even bigger problems than we already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

God that is horrific. Acid is such a cowardly cruel attack. Perverted scum.

Simplistic because I'm not writting letters on boards. Some people still get the dole while they are inside
    We're importing them because its only the government/EU & a small percentage living in Ireland that want these immigrants/migrants being brought here
    But as a mod already said this is not about immigration

Lets hope the young lady is ok though any more news out yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Mutant z wrote: »

Importing as in letting too many unsavoury characters in to the country and yes there is already enough home grown scumbags here without allowing any more in which will only add to even bigger problems than we already have.

How would you regulate allowing Europeans in to the country ?

Why do you think the crimes are committed by Europeans?

Simplistic because I'm not writting letters on boards. Some people still get the dole while they are inside
    We're importing them because its only the government/EU & a small percentage living in Ireland that want these immigrants/migrants being brought here
    But as a mod already said this is not about immigration

Lets hope the young lady is ok though any more news out yet?

In the post office in Mountjoy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

How In the name of jaysus do someone go to the post office to sign on,when in jail :pac:

• Advertisement

Why do you think the crimes are committed by Europeans?

What crimes ?

How In the name of jaysus do someone go to the post office to sign on,when in jail :pac:

Believe it or not they have their money when they come out, was confirmed by a Guard

Believe it or not they have their money when they come out, was confirmed by a Guard

Dole ?

I was talking about London in .........

I'm sure you were doing an old cherry pick to soapbox your agenda,but that has nothing to do with the fact that stop and search in Britain has and always has been known for its racial bias, dating back decades.
    Some people still get the dole while they are inside

...which would either be (a) fraud or (b) some sort of error, as they aren't entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Seems like fraud tbh....maybe disability but not the dole

Yous need to be available for work to get the dole??

Dole ?

Yes:mad:

I was talking about London in .........

I'm sure you were doing an old cherry pick to soapbox your agenda,but that has nothing to do with the fact that stop and search in Britain has and always has been known for its racial bias, dating back decades.
    Some people still get the dole while they are inside

...which would either be (a) fraud or (b) some sort of error, as they aren't entitled to it.

Ahh will you stop , he's about to go on a rampage about the dole.

Maybe it has but it doesn't take away from the fact that if black kids are stabbing black kids you are not going to stop the problem by searching the Japanese kids

Probably got to do with human rights, available for work but big bad Judge sent them to prison. Its not like they went on holiday;)

The main perpetrators of these sort of crimes are generally from the ME, the person who commited this vile act is very unlikely to be Irish.

• Advertisement

Maybe it has but it doesn't take away from the fact that if black kids are stabbing black kids you are not going to stop the problem by searching the Japanese kids

Generalised nonsense.
    Probably got to do with human rights, available for work but big bad Judge sent them to prison. Its not like they went on holiday;)

What crap is this now? Do you have any notion at all about the subject?

Advertisement