Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I must say hats off to the GAA on the detailed, and seemingly quite workable plan, they've come up with. It looks like they will safely get our kids, and adults, back in action and just as importantly back into their social circles.

They're even holding out hope of running off their Cul Camps program. I think it's hugely important for our mental health to get these activities going again.

And it begs the question, what the hell have Minister & Department of Education being doing all this time? How can they stand back and keep our kids, in particular primary school kids, locked out for almost 6 months? It is criminal that there was barely a mention of schools in that 5 phase plan, only to say schools opening for 2020/2021 Academic Year. Especially when we've been seeing all the trends going in the right direction for some time now.

I really fear that we'll be seeing the consequences from their inaction in the mental health of a whole generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Really struggling again since the weather declined a bit. I spend my time staying busy but my motivation levels are almost 0. I’m only trying to distract myself.

I’ve lost my job, I’ve had 1 interview and applied for probably 50 jobs so far but I’m feeling very worried and hopeless.

I’m so sad today I can’t even pick up the phone to anyone.

Just wanted to get my feelings down.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Really struggling again since the weather declined a bit. I spend my time staying busy but my motivation levels are almost 0. I’m only trying to distract myself.

I’ve lost my job, I’ve had 1 interview and applied for probably 50 jobs so far but I’m feeling very worried and hopeless.

I’m so sad today I can’t even pick up the phone to anyone.

Just wanted to get my feelings down.

I also noticed a change in my mood also with the change in the weather. It's hard to get rid of those feelings but what I'm starting to do recently is recognizing them and accept them.
    I allow myself to feel ****. It's a **** time we're going through.

I've let myself go the last 3 weeks but in the last few days I've come around again by getting out again and being more mindful of my eating.

My motivation levels are way down also but I'm doing small bits every day. It's very hard to make and stick to a routine when the days and weeks are so long... We're not use to all the time on ours hands.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job, I still have mine but very unhappy there and my hours will be reduced.

It's ok and normal to be sad with these challenges... We're suppose to be. Don't feel guilty about not picking up the phone, if u don't feel like talking to people, u are allowed to say that. U are allowed to have ur crap day and wallow in it.

You have a choice the next day to start again.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Always find Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays the hardest for some reason. Think its cause once Wednesday hits the weekend is near and more places are starting to open . I do a nightly quiz on twich and go for walks/weights at home etc

Saturday is strictly my alcohol day (hard to knw will it still be when the pubs open)

I'm out of work till the last phase and feeling a little anxious about when the covid payment is changed. 8/10 times id earn over €200 weekly but Jan/Feb 2020 was pretty quiet workwise and if there's a way of not giving out the full amount this government will find it. I appreciate the weekly amount so far but find it would be unfair if I got penalised and someone who earns €205 weekly gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TiWe33

Those of you back at work, or who have been working throughout – has anyone received any help or support from their employer specifically in relation to their mental health and well-being? There’s been a lot of focus on this aspect of the pandemic but I’m wondering how/if it’s being addressed in practice, given all the other pressure (financial, production, physical measures, etc.) employers are under at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

TiWe33 wrote: »
    Those of you back at work, or who have been working throughout – has anyone received any help or support from their employer specifically in relation to their mental health and well-being? There’s been a lot of focus on this aspect of the pandemic but I’m wondering how/if it’s being addressed in practice, given all the other pressure (financial, production, physical measures, etc.) employers are under at the minute.

First off kudos to all of you getting your feelings / thoughts down at the moment...you're trying to take care of yourselves as best you can in a stressful time. And if you already struggle with mental health issues then it is doubly challenging.

Re the work support - I think this is an excellent idea. There is a permanent need for mental health support for all employees but sadly this appears to be an afterthought / pr opportunity for a lot of companies. It would be good if this difficult time puts the issue in the spotlight more; god knows our frontline workers deserve this support especially.

Peace and rest to you all guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Re the work support - god knows our frontline workers deserve this support especially

Obviously there is already a psychology/employee support service available for frontline workers, Christ do you not think they were dealing with life and death situations before Covid19 came on the scene :rolleyes: I have a close relative working in the fire service and the stories he has told me ...... he has often made use of the support services unfortunately and he's in the career 26 years. So you think there are no supports in place for frontline workers :rolleyes: blame the government I suppose :mad:

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    First off kudos to all of you getting your feelings / thoughts down at the moment...you're trying to take care of yourselves as best you can in a stressful time. And if you already struggle with mental health issues then it is doubly challenging.

Re the work support - I think this is an excellent idea. There is a permanent need for mental health support for all employees but sadly this appears to be an afterthought / pr opportunity for a lot of companies. It would be good if this difficult time puts the issue in the spotlight more; god knows our frontline workers deserve this support especially.

Peace and rest to you all guys :)

Indeed.
    The fact that one low cost provider of mental health services, My Mind, are offering free therapy sessions to frontline workers during this time is testament to the lack of help among certain professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

It's true the weather can be a bugger when it comes to feeling good and feeling not so good. I have not been out cycling for a few days myself lately, but there is a chance for a short spin some morning soon. Hope everyone else is holding up as well as they can.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

This has been really tough emotionally, mentally and financially for many of us. The fear of getting sick is already bad enough. But adding the uncertainty caused by the global recession makes it even harder. A lot of people already lost their jobs in the past months and more people are at risk of losing their jobs as companies are forced to stop operations or shut down. The support from the government is greatly appreciated but we don't know if it would be enough for the coming months. We're all just trying to survive. My wife and I have been feeling a lot of stress and anxiety due to financial uncertainty. Fortunately, there is emotional support from family, friends and loved ones. We're lucky in that sense because some people don't have that support. Being in a worse emotional state than my wife, I decided to get professional help after coming across this article. I'm grateful that online counselling is available and I've scheduled my session next week. Hopefully this would help me address and process this anxiety. I've used this time though to learn new things and improve my skills in case I would be forced to switch careers. Anyway, I hope we all survive this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I've had a set back at work. Will have to change jobs. I'm so anxious and stressed atm. I'm kicking myself why couldn't I have gone to college or find something that I would enjoy doing.

Unfortunately I don't have the emotional support, only support from a mental health nurse.

I'm dreading the next few weeks.

LilacNails wrote: »
    I've had a set back at work. Will have to change jobs. I'm so anxious and stressed atm. I'm kicking myself why couldn't I have gone to college or find something that I would enjoy doing.

Unfortunately I don't have the emotional support, only support from a mental health nurse.

I'm dreading the next few weeks.

As Mark Twain said "I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened" :) Just go with the flow, who knows the change of career might be the best thing that ever happens you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thought this video would suit here. An interesting insight into what might be going on in people's heads.
    How our brains are processing the pandemic.

Self-isolation, job loss and fear of getting Covid-19 are just some of the factors affecting our mental health during the pandemic. This is how our brains are responding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53067030

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A Guardian piece on overcoming the fear of COVID-19 and reclaiming our lives back.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jul/19/how-do-we-conquer-covid19-fears-now-we-can-go-out-again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Doing my head in, it's like a rollercoaster up down up down ....

One day Im really positive - like Monday when the Oxford Vaccine was looking really good for late 2020/early 2021, then tuesday/wednesday I'm down again because of course you see on the media the naysayers that say earliest 2022 for a vaccine ... BBC saying it will last decades etc ...

So depressing and frustrating.

... and I hate being selfish here, but f*ck it, lately I have been watching a lot of U2 live videos ... and man, ****ing so sad to think we may never see this again ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What do u say to a family member who wants to come over but is not going to self isolate, won’t be staying where I live but would obviously want to meet up when they are back here. I’m advising against it and told them not to travel but at the end of the day what can u do. Same person has asthma themselves, just mad.

Country not on green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

fin12 wrote: »
    What do u say to a family member who wants to come over but is not going to self isolate, won’t be staying where I live but would obviously want to meet up when they are back here. I’m advising against it and told them not to travel but at the end of the day what can u do. Same person has asthma themselves, just mad.

You tell them to stay away. That you cannot meet them as you are concerned.
    It is incredibly difficult but every acceptance of not following protocol from likely dangerous locations is making it more and more difficult to put this behind us.
    If you tell them you will meet, they will probably use you to validate them travelling as in 'fin12 is okay with me travelling as they are going to meet me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

TomSweeney wrote: »
    ... and I hate being selfish here, but f*ck it, lately I have been watching a lot of U2 live videos ... and man, ****ing so sad to think we may never see this again ....

When I see crowds full of supporters celebrating goals in a Football match etc. It hits me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id advise to stop watching the news etc and all of their fear mongering, repeating the same nonsense endlessly...

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    When I see crowds full of supporters celebrating goals in a Football match etc. It hits me

Yep, I'm not a Liverpool fan but I did feel bad for them that they couldn't be at anfield to see their team lift the title...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I noticed mental health issues has been exceed in this pandemic and lockdown days. I think it is very important topic to discuss which many administrations of the world ignored. There must good policies to deal such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I stopped watching RTE news a long time ago and just about any news for that matter. All the doom and gloom just ran me down. There is enough toxic people about on a daily basis not to be seeing them on TV. Any important headlines I can see on my phone or a newspaper so it's not a thought I am out of touch.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I stopped watching RTE news a long time ago and just about any news for that matter. All the doom and gloom just ran me down. There is enough toxic people about on a daily basis not to be seeing them on TV. Any important headlines I can see on my phone or a newspaper so it's not a thought I am out of touch.

Definitely not a bad idea if it's bringing you down, I only check in on the headlines now also, but I'd have a strong interest in politics and current affairs, so I'm well stuck into it, it's important to walk away from it from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Id advise to stop watching the news etc and all of their fear mongering, repeating the same nonsense endlessly...

The Indo is now calling the flu a killer infection on the headline of its news :-

https://www.independent.ie/

Click bait to just scare people more , 12 months ago , no one viewed the flu as a killer desease, something to be avoided for sure , but not a killer infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

2020 has definitely been the worst year mentally for me, and not all for Covid related reasons. A big, big difference in a bad way has been that in previous bad years, the one saving grace has been knowing that I can fly out to a hot summer beach and soak in the sun, even for a short while. Even having just that was big.

Now that even that is taken away...there's no where to turn to for a rope to pull you out of this.

Not a chance would I let anyone into our house for the foreseeable future, and exactly the same going the opposite way, we were supposed to be heading to London in November for a family event but I cancelled it during the week, luckily we didn't have flights booked so accomodation was easily cancelled.

GoneHome wrote: »
    Not a chance would I let anyone into our house for the foreseeable future, and exactly the same going the opposite way, we were supposed to be heading to London in November for a family event but I cancelled it during the week, luckily we didn't have flights booked so accomodation was easily cancelled.

I’m not letting anyone stay into my home. I said that in the post that’s why I’m saying it was out of my control whether they come or not cause she was booking into a hotel. Anyway they haven’t talked about coming over here since our last conversation so hopefully they got the message.

The_Brood wrote: »
    2020 has definitely been the worst year mentally for me, and not all for Covid related reasons. A big, big difference in a bad way has been that in previous bad years, the one saving grace has been knowing that I can fly out to a hot summer beach and soak in the sun, even for a short while. Even having just that was big.

Now that even that is taken away...there's no where to turn to for a rope to pull you out of this.

Would you not go away for a few days to a different place in Ireland. Change of scenery, some lovely places in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I’m not letting anyone stay into my home. I said that in the post that’s why I’m saying it was out of my control whether they come or not cause she was booking into a hotel. Anyway they haven’t talked about coming over here since our last conversation so hopefully they got the message.

A family member of mine (cousin) was in our area about six weeks ago and texted me to say she'd drop in for a quick coffee, I swiftly replied back "sorry we're not having anyone calling to the house due to the fear of Covid", she hasn't made contact since, not even a text but f&^k it I don't care, safety first.

Advertisement