Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 - Anyone watching this again?

• 31-07-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I've started watching this again, on Netflix. I watched seasons one and two since June and am now on season three, half way through it. My free subscription runs out tomorrow, so I have just over 24 hours to finish it.

Anyone been watching it lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

whirlpool wrote: »
    I've started watching this again, on Netflix. I watched seasons one and two since June and am now on season three, half way through it. My free subscription runs out tomorrow, so I have just over 24 hours to finish it.

Anyone been watching it lately?

Enough time for a season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

started watching it on netflix again myself, still a brilliant show even if season 1-3 were the best. seen chloe in an episode of its always sunny in philadelpia the other night she looks totally differnet when not whining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I used to regularly go back to it and pick out a season, rewatching it over a week or so, havent done it for a couple of years, bought the 8 series box set in hmv when it was going for 50 quidish and gave my seasons 1-7 to the old man. That was well over a year ago and I havent broken out the boxset yet, getting the itch now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rihanna7

Yes i've just finished the complete boxset & it was as good as the first time love it!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jack Bauer wrote:
    With all due respect Madame President, ask around.

I'm watching season 7 at the moment, and i loved this line. Perfectly sums up Jack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hell yes. Just finished season 5, my favourite season and possibly the greatest ever season of action TV. Getting myself primed and ready for the new season next year :)

Kiefer is so Hot!!

Just finished season 6 again. Not the strongest season by any means, a few too many weak characters (Nadia Yassir, Daniels) and not the best storyline throughout the season, but the scene at the end between Bauer and James Heller is one of the most powerful of the entire show, absolutely great stuff. Would love to see Audrey Raines appear in the show reboot next year. There's surely unfinished business for her and Jack.

Such a great, great television show. It'll always be in my top 3 shows, absolutely loved it from start to finish.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Would love to see Audrey Raines appear in the show reboot next year. There's surely unfinished business for her and Jack.

If she came back into it, she'd just get killed and we'd all feel horrible about it...all over again :(

I'm re-watching season 8 at the moment, and by christ there is so much crappy filler. Skipping every single scene with Dana and her dirtbag boyfriend, and will probably skip anything with Omar's daughter and the bodyguard.

The rest of it is great though.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm re-watching season 8 at the moment, and by christ there is so much crappy filler. Skipping every single scene with Dana and her dirtbag boyfriend, and will probably skip anything with Omar's daughter and the bodyguard.

The rest of it is great though.

I never understood that Dana Walsh storyline at all, was completely pointless. The rest of that season is pretty great though. Especially when Logan arrives into it. What a legend!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I caught the end of season 1. Watched 2-5, a few episodes of 6 and then ditched it. Might go back to season 1 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I rewatched six recently. It's still by far the weakest season they did but having not watched any 24 for about 18 months or so I did find myself still massively enjoying it.

I'll do a complete re-watch ahead of the new season coming next year.

Season 4 isnt great either. But you generally find with 24 that each season has some excellent sections, even the weaker seasons such as 4 and 6. Season 5 is still the best, absolutely brilliant.

Just watched the back to back silent clocks in season 8.

:(

It was so sad but Brilliant! i can't wait for the new series although i thought they should have just done a movie instead of a series, never the less something to look forward too

Rihanna7 wrote: »
    It was so sad but Brilliant! i can't wait for the new series although i thought they should have just done a movie instead of a series, never the less something to look forward too

I disagree, I reckon a film would probably have ended up being just another action movie, whereas the mini series will hopefully allow them to do what they do best. Really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Rewatched the show's first episode. I'd forgotten a good deal of it, including Jack being in charge from the off. A rather good pilot. The setting, key relationships and Bauer's antics are all there. Plus the CTU ring tone, and the idea of the mole. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

DAMMIT !!

Though it was a thread about the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I love the way in season one
    they tell you Nena is a mole from the off

• Advertisement

We don't find out she's the mole till the 3rd or 4th last episode. We think she is early on, but she clears her name. We don't know for sure till she calls Drazen at the end of the episode (iirc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I'm watching this for the first time. So sorry that I didn't watch it first time around. Great show. I'm confused tho, halfway thru S3 and it seems Nina is back on the scene. Did I misss something? The last i saw of her, she was being taken away in cuffs buy CTU after trying to get pre-emptive immunity for the murder of Jack Bauer. How did she get back out? Or is this explained later on?

In S2
    President gives her a pardon and chooses to honour it when the info provided is valid.

Jernal wrote: »
    In S2
    President gives her a pardon and chooses to honour it when the info provided is valid.

Oh right. I just assumed that it was gonna be reneged upon.

pajopearl wrote: »
    Oh right. I just assumed that it was gonna be reneged upon.
    She was given a pardon and deported to a specific country, and was meant to be under watch - but somehow slipped back into the states, which is how she turns up in season 3 as part of the virus deal. Thats my recollection of it anyway.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    She was given a pardon and deported to a specific country, and was meant to be under watch - but somehow slipped back into the states, which is how she turns up in season 3 as part of the virus deal. Thats my recollection of it anyway.

Almost. In S3 she isn't
    back in the States though. She turns up south of the border until CTU bring her back with them.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Almost. In S3 she isn't
    back in the States though. She turns up south of the border until CTU bring her back with them.

Correct, my bad. Not seen season 3 for a few years. Great stuff though!

Eh, I just spent the last 2 days watchin season 8 and I must have missed this one!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Eh, I just spent the last 2 days watchin season 8 and I must have missed this one!?

Its when
    The President is killed then the 2nd for Renees' death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The President death and then Renee death

Edit beaten to it :P

Oh right. I assumed when you said back to back that you meant silent before the break and silent after the break to bring it back from commercial. Would seem I didn't miss anything then!

If you had missed both those moments, you definitely mustn't have been paying attention :P

But yeah, as above. Meant at the end of the episodes. They rarely use the silent clock. 11 times, according to the Wiki.

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_clock

Started Season One again last Friday. Hoping to do all eight in the 11 weeks and five days until the new series starts! I only watched S6 again last year though so don't know if I want to put myself through that one again.

Eight episodes in right now. Love this show.

11 Weeks to watch 24 are you mad?:eek:
    It only takes 8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Johnny31

catn wait for the new series... must watch series 8 again to get me ready for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I gave up half way through season 7. Just couldn't stand the president. but I watched season 8 on Netflix last month to be up to date for the miniseries. Was worth it to see jack go Kray Kray.
    Pity Rack Baur's dead though

Anyone else really hoping Charles Logan reappears at some point?
    He never got the silent clock treatment after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Season 5-7 are the Metal Gear Solid seasons.

YoungSnake-1_zps7e24a4f4.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Gave up halfway through S2. Too much filler and something random always happens to unnecessarily drag out the story. From reading here maybe i'm missing something. But I can't imagine going back to it. Filing it with BSG as too much filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

lordgoat wrote: »
    Gave up halfway through S2. Too much filler and something random always happens to unnecessarily drag out the story. From reading here maybe i'm missing something. But I can't imagine going back to it. Filing it with BSG as too much filler.

Here's the thing it reminds me of the 00's hysteria (when I was between the ages of 10-20) over terrorism and those earlier seasons remind me of the time when everybody had the USA's back after 9/11 until their methods become more and more OTT and perverse. It's a a definite cultural document and touchstone.

I came into it late in season 4 on RTE 2 back in 2004/2005, and I didn't remember much except that it was absolutely thrilling and so pertinent(to a 14 year old), but never kept up with, in fact I groaned in the passing years growing up, whenever I would capture a second or two on TV (what you seriously mean it's on season 7 of this ****e?)

Last year I finally decided and now it's probably my in my 5-6 TV shows ever.

My favourite are The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Jericho, Six Feet Under and BSG.

It nowhere dares asks questions as uncomfortable or universal as BSG, but I love 24 for different reasons, yet's it's almost as gruelling, exhausting to watch as BSG. Normally despise I filler but for some reason, it all feels part of the adventure on 24, like a OTT nightmare that the characters are on. You feel lethargic with them

No show I've ever watched is plot, plot,plot like 24. Sometimes it's amazing fly be the seat of you pants writing that leads to excellent moments, followed by hilarious yet always entertaining diversions, yet the cheese and camp is played totally straight, making it somehow work.

Sometimes I imagine the writers *high fiving* each other just to get their characters out of a jam, and are writing to deadline's just to get the script in the can. LOL :D I applaud them

Plus I love the yellow summer haze, heat that LA is bathed for the show. Very atmospheric and it's a character in itself.

I wish Jack Bauer becomes the American James Bond, he does in fact in a way.

• Advertisement

Up to episode 5 of season 1 now. It's fun revisiting it and easy to forget how exciting and dynamic it was back then. Plenty in TVland has borrowed from its playbook. I hated Palmer's wife when first watching back in the day, not sure that'll change this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Season 1 rewatch, it's Misha Collins as a long-haired assassin!

I finished season 1 and jumped forward to season 6, which is where I ditched the show back in the day. I've struggled with it in parts, even now towards the end - two episodes to go. I know 6 has a pretty poor/mixed reputation...very much 24 not firing on all cylinders. Great to see everyone using ordinary mobiles before smartphones kicked in. :P

I finished season 1 and jumped forward to season 6, which is where I ditched the show back in the day. I've struggled with it in parts, even now towards the end - two episodes to go. I know 6 has a pretty poor/mixed reputation...very much 24 not firing on all cylinders. Great to see everyone using ordinary mobiles before smartphones kicked in. :P

Yeah season 6 is only alright, too many forgettable characters in it for me but I enjoyed Wayne Palmer as President and thought Peter McNicol as Tom Lennox, he was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Finish season 5 last week and already half way through Day 6, after that I'll go onto 7 & maybe 8.

I'm kind of struggling to find fault with this season to be honest giving the criticism it has got and thats coming straight after watching the 5th.

If I was to really nit pick though I would say I wasn't too into the way that Wayne Palmer became President yet at them same time I liked the connection to David Palmer.

Tom Lennox was brilliant, a very intelligent individual who knew what was best. Powers Boothe as Vice President Daniels was another great casting, always likes him in movies.

Mike Doyle would probably get my vote for worst 24 character of all time, up there with Terri Bauer anyway, this would be my biggest gripe with season 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I tried season 6 and gave up on it twice about midway.
    Can't explain why - found it dated somewhat (CITs latest tech was meh!).
    I think I was also tired of those on the political side.

I skipped ahead to Redemption and Day 7. Felt fresher!
    Much better option, no regrets, no problem picking up the story.
    Really enjoyed both and have the latest season to watch when I have time.

Finish season 5 last week and already half way through Day 6, after that I'll go onto 7 & maybe 8.

I'm kind of struggling to find fault with this season to be honest giving the criticism it has got and thats coming straight after watching the 5th.

If I was to really nit pick though I would say I wasn't too into the way that Wayne Palmer became President yet at them same time I liked the connection to David Palmer.

Tom Lennox was brilliant, a very intelligent individual who knew what was best. Powers Boothe as Vice President Daniels was another great casting, always likes him in movies.

Mike Doyle would probably get my vote for worst 24 character of all time, up there with Terri Bauer anyway, this would be my biggest gripe with season 6.

Thought Doyle was pretty good myself. I didnt like the CTU dynamic, thought yer one Nadia (although hot) was a very forgettable character. Was also a bit ridiculous to have Bauer staggering off the plane from China having not spoken in 18 months, and two hours later hes leading the search effort!

There was just so much in Series Six which felt like we had been there before. Nuke going off, use of the 25th amendment, CTU mole, attack on CTU, I think this was the third series in a row where they used the exact same 'attractive female at CTU is falsely accused of being a mole' plot-device.

I didn't like that out of all the people in the US the mastermind behind the events of Day Five happened to be related to Jack. Even in a show which exists on the premise that its audience will suspend its disbelief that one was a stretch.

Plus I thought they really were feeling the effects of killing off so many cast members in the couple of seasons before. The new cast didn't quite work that year.

It had some epic moments though - most of them at the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Only started and finished season 9 over the weekend, it simply cannot end like that!

Anyways, it whet the appetite, so I closed my eyes and picked a season to re watch, lucked out with season 5 :) Show is still up there in my all time favourite

• Advertisement
Advertisement