Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lanka Bombings 150+ dead

Options

Comments

Jesus bombs still being found.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

Islam at it again, If an ideology ever needed international regulation it is this one.

A very uneducated post. A people who want to kill will do so, they will find a motive. In fact they feed off people believing and saying what you just said there because it furthers the divide between Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist etc etc and that is exactly what they want - all out mayhem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Brain Whinge

Fcuk Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Islam and innocent Muslims are very much as big a victim in all of this, they will be greeted with suspicion and unwelcoming attitudes because of this, this is in the past already we need to move on and forget about this unfortunate incident.

El_Bee wrote: »
    Islam and innocent Muslims are very much as big a victim in all of this, they will be greeted with suspicion and unwelcoming attitudes because of this, this is in the past already we need to move on and forget about this unfortunate incident.

No, the perpetrators for this atrocity should be brought to justice (those still alive) and they should feel the full force of the law against them. The answer to hate is not more hate!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Brain Whinge

'Unfortunate incident'.

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

What is the approximate percentage of Muslims that have been radicalised does anyone know, and how does that translate into numbers, and can Islam with its many branches do anything to tackle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have stayed in the Cinnamon Grand hotel a number of times in the last year, and eaten breakfast in that same restaurant. The people that worked in the hotel were extremely friendly, cooperative and helpful. I feel extremely saddened by these attacks, they really serve no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dreamliner wrote: »
    No, the perpetrators for this atrocity should be brought to justice (those still alive) and they should feel the full force of the law against them. The answer to hate is not more hate!

i dont think many would advocate "hate" but neither would i advocate turning the other cheek. One must face ones enemies and defeat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

morebabies wrote: »
    What is the approximate percentage of Muslims that have been radicalised does anyone know, and how does that translate into numbers, and can Islam with its many branches do anything to tackle it?
    Radicalism has been a problem for a very long time now. From the 8th to the 14th Century was its golden age during which it spread through conquest and trade and preserved much of the ancient knowledge which would have been lost during the European dark ages. After this in-fighting increased and science and reason were increasingly abandoned in favour of scripture.

Islam does not have the advantage of a central command like a pope. Any Imam can interpret the Koran and be valid.

• Advertisement

i dont think many would advocate "hate" but neither would i advocate turning the other cheek. One must face ones enemies and defeat them.

Absolutely, but who is that 'enemy'? It is very hard to suss rogue individuals out and I trust our security services to protect us (this is something i don't get with this attack, what were the police there at when they knew this was coming but took no action?). Anyway defeating these individuals cannot be left to the common man because we end up with lawlessness and vigilantism.

I'm not accusing you personally of it, but often time i see people wish to wipe all Muslims together when things like this happen, but what about the Muslim family that were there having their breakfast too that got blown out of it by this madman? They are victims as well and their families are wailing in pain right now about their loss the same way of those families from the church are... so you run into issues when you try to blame this all on Islam and Muslims as a whole.

Things like this have to be recognised for what they are, hateful individuals seeking to wreak havoc and cause mayhem among the human race. They want the divide, they want you to hate islam, they want other muslims to hate you, they want a war, crusade whatever you call it, they feed off of the hope they can bring it about.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus bombs still being found.

One of those times a comma is important.

On the subject of coverage here and the uk. My knowledge of Sri Lanka pretty much begins and end with Romesh Ranganathan, other than what comes up when stuff like this happens. It very much suffers from a case of "thats way over there" syndrome and just doesnt get covered for general day to day stuff unless its a holiday program or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I know it may not be popular to say among the 'woke' generation and those who run western liberal media, but Christians in many parts of the world are being oppressed and killed. This is just another example of it.

RIP to all those who died.

Well that's obviously not true. The dead are bigger victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Also, Sri Lankan government are saying that a foreign power or agency helped carry out these attacks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

One of those times a comma is important.

On the subject of coverage here and the uk. My knowledge of Sri Lanka pretty much begins and end with Romesh Ranganathan, other than what comes up when stuff like this happens. It very much suffers from a case of "thats way over there" syndrome and just doesnt get covered for general day to day stuff unless its a holiday program or something.

Over 100,00 killed during the civil war, maybe 10,000 of them in 2009 (no one really knows how many for sure), the country is no stranger to mass violence and war crimes from all sides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleged_war_crimes_during_the_final_stages_of_the_Sri_Lankan_Civil_War

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The terrorist attack on muslims in NZ was in the news for a month afterwards and rightly so as it was a terrible tragedy but over 200 christians are blown up and you say we should all forget about it in case someone says anything that might make a muslim uncomfortable.

You should really have a word with yourself.

The terrorist attack on muslims in NZ was in the news for a month afterwards and rightly so as it was a terrible tragedy but over 200 christians are blown up and you say we should all forget about it in case someone says anything that might make a muslim uncomfortable.

You should really have a word with yourself.

I believe his comment was tongue in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

dreamliner wrote: »
    I believe his comment was tongue in cheek

Ah fair enough.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

leakyboots wrote: »

A British man has also lost his wife, son and probably his daughter, who's currently missing. It leaves me speechless, how do you adjust to life after that? How do you go on? I hope I never have to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

markodaly wrote: »
    Also, Sri Lankan government are saying that a foreign power or agency helped carry out these attacks.

appears govt have blocked social media

https://www.dw.com/en/sri-lanka-bombings-local-islamists-to-blame-government-says/a-48429200

mvl wrote: »

Good.

The last thing you need at times like these is fake news going around

You can't blame a whole religion for the actions of some "f**kwits..

What is the National Thowheed Jamath?
    The National Thowheed Jamath is a radical Muslim group that appeared after the Sri Lankan civil war ended in 2009, and has been linked to the vandalism of Buddhist statues. It preaches extremism, strict interpretations of religious texts, and intolerance of non-Muslims. The group demands the compulsory veiling of Muslim women. NTJ built mosques and madrassas in various parts of the country. Extremism expert Anne Speckhard told the NYT that the group aims to spread hatred, fear and division among the local society.

smurfjed wrote: »
    You can't blame a whole religion for the actions of some "f**kwits..

What is the National Thowheed Jamath?
    The National Thowheed Jamath is a radical Muslim group that appeared after the Sri Lankan civil war ended in 2009, and has been linked to the vandalism of Buddhist statues. It preaches extremism, strict interpretations of religious texts, and intolerance of non-Muslims. The group demands the compulsory veiling of Muslim women. NTJ built mosques and madrassas in various parts of the country. Extremism expert Anne Speckhard told the NYT that the group aims to spread hatred, fear and division among the local society.

They obviously haven't read the texts that encourage co existance and warn of the sin associated with killing any innocent. Cherry picking scripture out of context to justify their actions most likely, nothing new unfortunately

sin associated with killing any innocent
    There are two Saudi Arabian Airlines cabin crew missing, so it's not as if they only attacked non-Muslims.

smurfjed wrote: »
    There are two Saudi Arabian Airlines cabin crew missing, so it's not as if they only attacked non-Muslims.

Exactly and likely many more muslims in the hotels killed, which is why i find it so frustrating seeing people on these forums making it out to be a Muslims v the rest issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Reddit is apparently censoring the discussion of Sri Lanka on its breaking news section

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/bfq3y6/reddit_not_covering_the_sri_lanka_bombings_the/

I suppose it's also worth pointing out that within 24 hours of the New Zealand attack, that the thread about it here on boards was 27 pages long.

There's nothing in the way of proof behind that claim about Reddit. Correlation does not equal causation. There is simply less overall interest in the incident as compared to New Zealand or even Notre Dame. If you check out the reactions to the Bataclan, Manchester or Boston massacres you'll see that there is plenty of coverage despite the religion of the offenders. On the other hand, there have been multiple massacres throughout the middle east in the last few years that have gotten no attention from Western media. In reality, if the victims of Sri Lanka had been Muslim there'd probably be very little coverage of it too. The only reason it has as much as it does is due to the number of tourists and the christian denomination of the churches.

MrFresh wrote: »
    There's nothing in the way of proof behind that claim about Reddit. Correlation does not equal causation. There is simply less overall interest in the incident as compared to New Zealand or even Notre Dame. If you check out the reactions to the Bataclan, Manchester or Boston massacres you'll see that there is plenty of coverage despite the religion of the offenders. On the other hand, there have been multiple massacres throughout the middle east in the last few years that have gotten no attention from Western media. In reality, if the victims of Sri Lanka had been Muslim there'd probably be very little coverage of it too. The only reason it has as much as it does is due to the number of tourists and the christian denomination of the churches.

Precisely, the media focus on what is relevant to us. The rule they appear to follow tends to go more along western/eastern lines than religious ones (and no they are not the same).

A simple demonstration of this is that there have been countless bombs at mosques all over the middle east killing thousands of Muslims over the lat few years, we hear of only a handful of them though.

Yet 50 killed in New Zealand received worldwide coverage ... why such a difference for a much smaller number of victims? Simply the fact it was in the western world and is deemed to be of more interest to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Really sad and disgusting this. Horrible, unnecessary deaths. Can't just blanket blame all Muslims though. It's only a certain section of psychos. For example, British armed forces committed several major atrocities far worse than this, were all protestants blamed? Was every British person blamed? Same situation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is Islam being Islam, one could argue that Muslims themselves are the greatest victims of that violently successful cult.

Advertisement