Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lanka Bombings 150+ dead

Options
  • 21-04-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0421/1044809-sri-lanka/

Churches and hotels targeted in a series of coordinated bomb attacks leaving over 150 dead and hundreds more injured.

No one has claimed responsibility as of yet. The Tamil Tigers i grew up hearing about on the news are meant to have been out of commission for a decade but there is also radical Islamist activity and even reports of the majority Buddhists suppressing Christians.

Here's hoping this shocking loss of life dosnt herald in a new era of violence for this beautiful country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Wonder what Reverend Doctor Ian Paisley Junior has to say about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tragic news on what is as you say a beautiful but divided country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Absolutely horrible story. Families just celebrating Easter literally ripped apart by barbaric savages.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

Wonder what Reverend Doctor Ian Paisley Junior has to say about this?

Why would you wonder that? About 137 people dead, celebrating easter or just staying in/working in hotels.

Main suspects so far:
    "News agency AFP says it has seen documents that show that Sri Lankan police have been on the alert for several days, fearing that suicide bombers from a local radical Muslim group, the National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ) were targeting “prominent churches.”

AFP also reported that Sri Lankan police seized a haul of explosives and detonators in January after arresting four men “from a newly formed radical Muslim group.”"

But best to wait for clarification before making too many assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Reports of 7th & 8th explosions in Colombo, and an islandwide curfew imposed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Really shocking stuff to read so many poor people killed. I read 7 blasts across multiple cities, that's a high level of coordination

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP to all those innocents.

I was in Sri Lanka for a time, mainly south of Colombo.
    Lovely place, lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sri Lanka recently emerged from decades of civil war between the Sinhalese majority (mainly Buddhists) and the Tamil minority (mainly Hindu).

Today's spate of bombings is a return to the bad old days, albeit focused on two small minority religions in the Sri Lankan sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

that is horrific poor people, and no one has claimed to be behind it yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was only there in September for my honeymoon . We stayed on the cinnamon hotels around the country and Colombo and spent a night in negombo . Our driver was an ex army officer and took great pride in the fact the country was largely at peace and tourism was rising fast. Absolutely shocked this morning when I read this .

An amazing place to visit by all accounts, at the moment it seems to be Muslim extremists responsible hopefully they can find those responsible and bring them to justice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Lone Stone wrote: »
    that is horrific poor people, and no one has claimed to be behind it yet ?

Unconfirmed reports say Sri Lanka’s police chief Pujuth Jayasundara had issued intel alert to top officers 10 days ago, warning that the NTJ was planning suicide attacks on Churches and Indian high commision.

I've not seen these verified yet thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

at the moment it seems to be Muslim extremists responsible hopefully they can find those responsible and bring them to justice .

Any evidence of that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Was there a couple of years back. The tourist industry is really important to them. This will be a big blow to them going forward, not to mention the tragic loss of life. Some countries can't catch a break.

Edit: BBC reporting 9 tourists among the dead (not saying their lives are more important, but it will certainly spook tourists coming from Europe/North America/other parts of Asia)

RIP
    The attacking of any place of worship is just disgusting. Nothing good will come of this- radical will rise up against radical and the vicious cycle will just continue for generations- We've seen it all too many times. It's a crazy non-sensical way to live your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭emo72

If the police were tipped off, how did it still happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

emo72 wrote: »
    If the police were tipped off, how did it still happen?

Doesn't sound like they had details, just the method and general target type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭jmreire

ISIS
    Related?

Now that the caliphate has been destroyed, isis adherents are starting to spring up all over the world..but on a positive note, they are fighting against the taliban in Afghanistan...couldn't happen to more deserving people.....

RIP
    The attacking of any place of worship is just disgusting. Nothing good will come of this- radical will rise up against radical and the vicious cycle will just continue for generations- We've seen it all too many times. It's a crazy non-sensical way to live your life.

Bbc linked to an article from last year where there was a state of emergency declared in parts of the country when Buddhist mobs started attacking mosques and muslim owned businesses. Only leads to more radicalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Bbc linked to an article from last year where there was a state of emergency declared in parts of the country when Buddhist mobs started attacking mosques and muslim owned businesses. Only leads to more radicalisation

Buddhist mobs.
    Those are two words I never thought I'd see together. The world is so ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

These bombings are sponsored by extremists outside Sri Lanka, but it is the local Muslim community that will suffer as a consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

https://news.sky.com/story/six-explosions-hit-sri-lanka-on-easter-sunday-11699701

I guess it's important enough to talk more then five minutes about on British media now.

Buddhist mobs.
    Those are two words I never thought I'd see together. The world is so ****ed

Buddhism has a good reputation in the West for peace, but it's no different to Christianity's central tenets being all about love and yet Christian violence doesn't surprise anyone. The Rohingya ethnic cleansing in Burma is again mostly Buddhist, Thailand also had anti muslim violence from the Buddhist majority

Very sad loss of life. Loved my time there and everyone was happy the violence was over, especially up in Trincomalee.

This will devastate their tourist industry. It's already an out-of-the-way place, and Negombo is basically the first stop for most tourists avoiding Colombo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Buddhism has a good reputation in the West for peace, but it's no different to Christianity's central tenets being all about love and yet Christian violence doesn't surprise anyone. The Rohingya ethnic cleansing in Burma is again mostly Buddhist, Thailand also had anti muslim violence from the Buddhist majority

Emphasis on the ethnic. The attacks on Rohingya aren't 'Buddhist' - they are perpetrated by a tribe who also happen to be Buddhists.

Some people would highlight Northern Ireland violence as an example of 'Christian violence' - we know here it's all about the tribe.

So sad for all the victims and the injured in Sri Lanka today, some of the descriptions are horrific, RIP.

Apparently, four suspects have been arrested while some others blew themselves up taking policemen with them.

Horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

These bombings are sponsored by extremists outside Sri Lanka, but it is the local Muslim community that will suffer as a consequence.

The bombings haven't been great for the Christians either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Awful

Emphasis on the ethnic. The attacks on Rohingya aren't 'Buddhist' - they are perpetrated by a tribe who also happen to be Buddhists.
    Pointless semantics, ethnic cleansing as a term includes religious violence. Because in many cases ethnicity is closely related to religion. Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks being a prime example. Although I agree that they are generally not 'Buddhist attacks', but that wasn't meant to be my point, I wanted to say that Buddhists being violent isn't really so surprising once you follow the history and politics of the regions the religion is popular in. Even if it's seen as a peaceful religion here in the West, it's practitioners can still be capable of violence and hate
    Some people would highlight Northern Ireland violence as an example of 'Christian violence' - we know here it's all about the tribe.

So sad for all the victims and the injured in Sri Lanka today, some of the descriptions are horrific, RIP.
    Sort of, but it wasn't 'all' about the tribe though, Kingsmill and a lot of Loyalist attacks were specifically religious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Any evidence of that at all?

Just media reports and a warning that was sent out by security forces a few days ago that a Muslim group was planning church attacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I see Covney & Varradker are too busy eating their Easter eggs this morning to tweet condemnation of this attack against Christians!

Advertisement