Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you want to attract attention and get caught for not being compliant on the road using your mobile phone is always a great idea. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/882952857829482497

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Mr Snow wrote: »

Any court fines are unlikely to out do the savings made in the time since all 3 of the above expired.

It paid off sadly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is that a butter knife on the dash? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

DaveyDave wrote: »

I'd say it's sharper than the cars owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

DaveyDave wrote: »

That's just there in case the "you're looking well Garda" sign fails to work. So he can literally butter them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

tossy wrote: »
    I'd say it's sharper than the cars owner.

Maybe not that sharp, but even after court comes and goes, they'll most likely still have had a cheaper 3 years motoring than you or I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

KC161 wrote: »
    Any court fines are unlikely to out do the savings made in the time since all 3 of the above expired.

It paid off sadly :mad:

Courts will usually disqualify for two years for first time no insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

McCrack wrote: »
    Courts will usually disqualify for two years for first time no insurance

They just get even more disqualified the next time..... it's not a real deterrent to those who dont care, if yer in for a penny you're in for a pound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There would be a huge deterrent if the car was taken from uninsured drivers and crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

K.Flyer wrote: »
    There would be a huge deterrent if the car was taken from uninsured drivers and crushed.

How they buy a sh1tbox or find one drive then taken then Ger another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

How they buy a sh1tbox or find one drive then taken then Ger another.

And when they are caught again, crush that one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Im sure i saw one like this posted before in the old thread, must have been caught again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

My 19 year old son was pulled over for driving "too slow" in Naas tonight. He was doing under 50 in a 50 zone. He had 4 mates in the car with him. They don't post that on twitter.

My 19 year old son was pulled over for driving "too slow" in Naas tonight. He was doing under 50 in a 50 zone. He had 4 mates in the car with him. They don't post that on twitter.

They don't do it enough. Loads of areas in Europe with minimum speed limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

He had 4 mates in the car with him.

Your son or the Garda?

Danbo! wrote: »
    Your son or the Garda?

Haha, my son. He was doing over 40kph at the time. It was just an excuse to pull over 5 young lads in a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Haha, my son. He was doing over 40kph at the time. It was just an excuse to pull over 5 young lads in a car.

This happened me many moons ago in town after a night out. 5 of us in the car, I was driving but don't drink. It was just an excuse to have a chat and see what we were at, under the guise of 'You broke a red light' even though the DVR was clear as day I hadn't.

• Advertisement

It probably was in fairness i just wish they would pull the occasional old dear over driving down the main street of a large town at 20kph at peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

That happened to me many moons ago in a very standard E39. Was on the Tallaght bypass with 2 passengers going between 60 and 80kmh, pulled over for going to slow, asked who we were. Got some shock when they realized we were all students with degrees and not yobs out on a joyride :P

Told them I was saving petrol, which I was, which got quite a laugh from all of us involved! Gardai drove off laughing, can't blame them :D

Good thing the brakes didn't fail again when they pulled me up first though... Think I had got all the water out of the servo at the side of the road the first time it happened in the mountains though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ah the N18, where else in the country can you travel for 15 minutes and come across as many possible locations for speed checks?

3+ locations around the tunnel, either side of the road just before the flyover to cratloe, just after the cratloe flyover, at the slipway from the underpass on both sides, the last turn off before bunratty, on the bunratty flyover, just after the flyover and on both sides, then further up the road about 2 more spots before you reach the turns for shannon

No axe to grind at all, I've never been caught speeding but its just an observation that they have a real gra for checking speed along here.

astradave wrote: »
    Im sure i saw one like this posted before in the old thread, must have been caught again.

dont know to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

astradave wrote: »

I'm not the only one getting that feeling of DeJa Vu so :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'm sure there'll be the usual defenders - "tax is too expensive...... sure he probably couldn't afford it...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be the usual defenders - "tax is too expensive...... sure he probably couldn't afford it...."

If you can afford a Bentley Continental GT, paying the annual road tax is small change.

ongarite wrote: »
    If you can afford a Bentley Continental GT, paying the annual road tax is small change.

That's the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Saw some madness on Friday evening - Marked car parked on a hard shoulder with speed gun on M6 near Athenry.

Guard steps out onto motorway to point at a speeder (not me, I'm way back) - speeder slams on brakes, car behind swerves and nearly takes out 2 more cars.

Don't know how it wasn't a massive crash, even the Guard had his hands on his head.

Surely it can't be safe for the Guard to be doing that from the hard-shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Saw some madness on Friday evening - Marked car parked on a hard shoulder with speed gun on M6 near Athenry.

Guard steps out onto motorway to point at a speeder (not me, I'm way back) - speeder slams on brakes, car behind swerves and nearly takes out 2 more cars.

Don't know how it wasn't a massive crash, even the Guard had his hands on his head.

Surely it can't be safe for the Guard to be doing that from the hard-shoulder?

Something similar was happening on the N25 Midleton to Dunkettle Roundabout section some years ago. Gardai on central reservation with speed gun stopping cars on overtaking lane. Thankfully even though there were some very near misses there was never an actual rta. Sense has prevailed over numbers required and the practice has discontinued of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hope he was done for dangerous driving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

RayCun wrote: »
    Hope he was done for dangerous driving

And the Garda for reckless endangerment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

blackwhite wrote: »
    That's the point

WE need more suitable penalties; park in a disabled bay = forfeiture of car for 4 weeks plus pay towing and storage fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Marcusm wrote: »
    WE need more suitable penalties; park in a disabled bay = forfeiture of car for 4 weeks plus pay towing and storage fees.
    Or simply... park in a disabled bay and be made disabled.
    That'd learn 'em :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/884430213119127553
    Today 10th July 2017 Gardai from DMR Traffic Dublin Castle and National Transport Authority conducted a checkpoint on the Malahide road. This is one of a series of such checkpoints carried out in recent weeks. Today 5 taxis were detected for the offence of not using the shortest route. This offence results in a prosecution via summons and carries and fine of up to 2500 euro. Two other detections were made for overcharging. These will result in a fixed charge penalty notice which carries a 60 euro fine. During a similar checkpoint last week 6 taxis were detected for failing to use the shortest route and 3 for overcharging. These types of joint operations Gardai and NTA will continue throughout the summer months. Gardai wish to stress that the vast majority of taxis stopped were fully compliant with the legislation. However members of the public engaging the services of a taxi should establish the likely cost in advance of the proposed journey. They should also examine the receipt to ensure that date, time are accurately recorded and all additions applied are valid. (Number of passengers is recorded accurately, booking fees are applied only when taxis is pre booked) A customer walking up to a taxi rank and engaging a taxi does not attract a pre- booking fee. The public should also use the Driver Check App at https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-driver-check/ which will allow the public check that the taxi driver and also the vehicle are properly licensed anyone with concerns should contact Gardaí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

markc1184 wrote: »

Fair play, been many times Taxi drivers assumed i was too drunk to notice them taking the scenic route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And then many protest against uber..
    In Warsaw I've also had many instances where the taxi simply took a different route even though we are within minutes of my house.
    They then play the oh oops card.
    Uber at least you know the won't take stupid routes cause the fare is already told beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

How does a checkpoint find out a taxi is not on the shortest route?

I imagine they just ask the passenger where they were picked up and where they're going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I imagine they just ask the passenger where they were picked up and where they're going.
    One or two lads I know will fake a scumbag Dub accent to ensure they get the shortest route; speaking in their natural english accent would get them the "scenic' route :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Location of that checkpoint i'd say is targeting the Airport runs...Id say they are bringing clueless people to the city centre via clarehall :mad:

DEZQoNIXsAEk0Ua.jpg

Given where they did the check, I'd guess they asked for start point and destination. And then got a number of taxis bringing tourists to the airport via Malahide road instead of out through Drumcondra

I'm not defending those taxi men, but its a world wide scam. Generally you get asked by a taxi man arriving at an airport - "First time in ______?" That's when they decide their route.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement