Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Old Colonel is at it again...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I got €4k for my E38 a few weeks ago, could have got more but i needed it gone. That E39 won't last long in the UK, although it's not my up of tea at all.

How about this for replacement?
    http://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-e38-7-series-750il-5-4-v12/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

1999 BMW 318is E36 only 67000 miles £4995 vrt about €600 ...

noelf wrote: »

Keep on rising E36's, keep on rising! How much extra would the colonel charge if it was a 6 pot!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Look at the discs, it's already Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭MarkN

MarkN wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Any idea what they were asking?

£17995 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭MarkN

millington wrote: »
    £17995 I think

Fairly tasty.

That E36 has me slightly perplexed. It is an SE yet has the m sport wheel. I could be wromg but I would have thought all 318is would have come in m tech trim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Could you drive something like this as your everyday car.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That E30 is stunning. All it needs really is to get rid of the tacky M badge next to the front grille.

That E36 has me slightly perplexed. It is an SE yet has the m sport wheel. I could be wromg but I would have thought all 318is would have come in m tech trim?

No you could get 318iS in SE aswell
    That E30 is stunning. All it needs really is to get rid of the tacky M badge next to the front grille.

That particular M badge is a newer style one, but M badges were actually factory fitted to a lot of them.

No you could get 318iS in SE aswell

That particular M badge is a newer style one, but M badges were actually factory fitted to a lot of them.

Everyday is a school day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Look at the discs, it's already Irish

Well spotted Sir! Was NCT'd till 7/17 too. Wonder what the story was? It's not like there was a big VRT refund...

Everyday is a school day.

Indeed, I never knew that either. Apparently the last of the E46 318Ci's had 148 bhp rather than the 141 bhp the Valvetronic versions normally had as well (I believe this would have been after the E90 came out for the saloon - so 2005 onwards - let's not forget that the E46 was still in production for Coupés and Verts right up until 2006), I only found that out last week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I usually find Old Colonel stock to be overpriced but this seems relatively reasonable:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1785263031567675&id=938045219622798

In comparison here's a 530d for £9k :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/oldcolonelcars/posts/1829953550431956

Big Nasty wrote: »
    In comparison here's a 530d for £9k :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/oldcolonelcars/posts/1829953550431956

Tis a bit expensive for what it is really, although it does look well. No electric seats or lumbar support.

The 530d was a revolutionary car but it still leaves me a bit cold, diesels just don't do it for me, even ones as good as this.

Seriously though who thought mudflaps on an executive chariot was a good idea:eek:? They'd be the first thing I'd take off the car if it were mine!

• Advertisement

Saw it on FB. Died a little inside when I saw a daysul on the page.

BMW 850 CSI 6 speed manual ( rare ) £44995 ..

Fup me - that's some price tag! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hard to see how the car is worth it when over 30,000 8 series were made. Over 1500 were 850CSIs, even with the manual its mental money IMO. As usual he's chancing his arm at the international market and is seeing who bites.

Hard to see how the car is worth it when over 25,000 8 series were made. Over 1500 were 850CSIs, even with the manual its mental money IMO. As usual he's chancing his arm at the international market and is seeing who bites.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bmw/850csi

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1001182

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C908053

Seems cheap compared with these.

That car looks fresh even by today's standards. The E31 was ahead of its time in so many ways, I know I like my old BMWs but I really think the 8 series is something special. It is outrageous money for such an old car, but they are incredibly rare, with that engine tuned by BMW's M division and the six speed manual box.

The E31 is a classic example of how much of a difference of the wheels make to a BMW, just compare the throwing stars on them compared to the wheelbarrow wheels they fitted to the earliest 850is (the horrendous Style 9s).

The E46 was the same, I've seen a few of them with Style 34s or Style 36s and massive profile tyres and they look every bit like a car that first saw the light of day in 1998; the same car with MV2s or even Style 68s and it still looks like a modern car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The US is having a mad cash splurge on classic cars at the moment so it explains some of it, both those cars are sub 50k miles concourse condition factory original examples. I can't really see them making the money they're looking for but its never going to not be a cool car in my book and if I can get a good one for under 10k I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭shabbyalonso

What a beaut.......unfortunately ruined somewhat by the boot spoiler imo.
    Crazy money mind. A stunning car though is the 8 series!

There was way less CSIs in North America, a fraction in fact of what was available in Europe so there's higher demand. Again, its all down to what someone is willing to pay for it. Whilst they are a cool car, its never one I would aspire to own. They seem like appalling value when you consider what you could pick up a mint 750iL E38 for.

You could buy a mark 2 Golf Gti plus a Porsche 911 carrera 2 for the same price of the BMW above both with less than 30K miles ..

www.kgfclassiccars.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Those V12 850i prices are only going 1 way, especially with the new one and M8 coming out.

And those tentative links to the McLaren F1 engine.

• Advertisement

Is it me or is this 328i cracking value?

20180518_154510-1280x691.jpg

Incredible condition, super low 35k miles, the perfect engine and high spec. Think of the absolute sh1te people drive for the same money. £4995.

I've seen similiar condition E36 ask double that so not a million miles off the mark.

Given the age of it, shouldn't it have amber indicator lenses (although clears look so much better). Also, the rear lights look like the facelifted models (although the lenses shouldn't be smoked).

Shame it's got mudflaps.

I also wonder if that is original suspension, it rides about the same height as mine does (I've got a sport).

I'd also prefer if it was a manual, perhaps it's different in the 328s (I've never driven one), but in the smaller six cylinders the auto saps so much power.

Beautiful car though, I'm a sucker for minty E46s! If they haven't been done, it will need the following done as preventative maintenance: subframe bushings, transmission fluid flush, power steering fluid flush, cooling system overhaul (all of it), VANOS seals, rocker cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, rear trailing arm bushes, underseal front and rear arches, so if you were planning on using it as a daily and wanted to put some mileage on it, there's a fair few quid to be spent on that car even though it looks really well cared for.

There's a man that know his old BMWs. I love the auto in my 728i with the same engine, but i've never driven the M52 with a manual, i'd say it's a joy. You're right about the lights, the rear ones don't even look OEM, could be wrong.

Now here's an E46 worth buying, and only £5,495 as well!

Six speed manual and the 3.0 petrol (I'll even overlook the fact it's a Touring, which I have absolutely no need for). Want, want, want! It would still need the preventative maintenance jobs done that I listed for the E46 above (which has now been sold by the way), however changing the gearbox oil doesn't have to be done in the manuals as that gearbox is far more robust than the autos, and facelifted cars don't have the subframe problem the earlier ones suffered from - unless you're driving it like it's stolen all the time.

https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-e46-3-series-330-m-sport-touring-6-speed-manual/

They also have a 1M for sale, £49,995 for anyone lucky enough to have that kind of money laying about:eek:! Unusual for them to hold something as new as that, but the 1M is a future classic without a doubt, and just look at the money they're fetching.

https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-1m-coupe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Chris Harris bought one last year and they were going for well over 40k.
    He rates it better than the M2.

That e46 touring looks great for the money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

That's stunning, M62 engine as well so no Nikasil to worry about either. No VANOS either so probably the most reliable V8 they ever made (as far as I know, it's only the M62TU, i.e. the ones with VANOS, which have the problem with the timing chain guides).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

That's stunning, M62 engine as well so no Nikasil to worry about either. No VANOS either so probably the most reliable V8 they ever made (as far as I know, it's only the M62TU, i.e. the ones with VANOS, which have the problem with the timing chain guides).

The VANOS isn't actually that big a deal on the M62tu, it just knocks when they go, no real effect on the engine but the M62 does still suffer from Guide wear unfortunately!

BMW 750 E38 5.4 v12 auto £9995 only 40000 miles.. Only 1 photo ..

• Advertisement

Was that for sale here a while back?

You posted one James but it had 97000 miles on it ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

They also have a 1M for sale, £49,995 for anyone lucky enough to have that kind of money laying about:eek:! Unusual for them to hold something as new as that, but the 1M is a future classic without a doubt, and just look at the money they're fetching.

https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-1m-coupe/

Up to 55k now...and drivers seat still dirty :)

BMW E24 628CSI auto 111000 miles £9995 you tube video much better in detail now ..

https://youtu.be/Sz9NY8cqHQA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

E39 - tick
    Low mileage - tick
    2.5 straight 6 - tick
    Topaz blue - tick

Anyone else think this is a bit of a bargain? So much want.

https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-e39-5-series-525-m-sport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

E39 - tick
    Low mileage - tick
    2.5 straight 6 - tick
    Topaz blue - tick

Anyone else think this is a bit of a bargain? So much want.

https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-e39-5-series-525-m-sport/
    Is 3 services and a pdi in 15 years really a 'full service history'?

vandriver wrote: »
    Is 3 services and a pdi in 15 years really a 'full service history'?

They can do 15,525 miles between an oil service/inspection (more depending on your driving style - if you do a lot of motorway driving for example), so yes it's perfectly possible.

A bigger problem with that E39 is the fact that the front bumper appears to be a different shade of blue to the rest of the car (it's especially noticeable on the passenger's side), oh and it's not a manual either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

They can do 15,525 miles between an oil service/inspection (more depending on your driving style - if you do a lot of motorway driving for example), so yes it's perfectly possible.

A bigger problem with that E39 is the fact that the front bumper appears to be a different shade of blue to the rest of the car (it's especially noticeable on the passenger's side), oh and it's not a manual either....
    But isn't it x number of miles OR x number of months, whichever comes first?

vandriver wrote: »
    But isn't it x number of miles OR x number of months, whichever comes first?

Not sure in the E39s, but in the E46s it just keeps counting down the miles to the next service and does not take into account the time since the last service. If I leave the car for say three weeks without touching it, the distance to the next service won't change. It does say in the owner's manual for the E46 that it needs to be serviced every 2 years if the mileage is low but that's as far as it goes.

The only thing that is time related is the brake fluid change, the fluid needs to be changed every 2 years and if you exceed this interval you will see a clock light up on the dash to tell you it's time to be done.

• Advertisement

This thread started with one of these ..

1984 BMW 635 E24 lots of mods £13995 ..

https://youtu.be/RR-j-619NPw

Advertisement