Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 UpintheAir1

lots of old minis operating in italy also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

morris minor

Were you in Tenters/Blackpitts?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Se84h9c.jpg

9jzs4Pc.jpg

fenN1DU.jpg

Citreon CX D (possibly ex-ambulance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Se84h9c.jpg

9jzs4Pc.jpg

fenN1DU.jpg

She’s an ex ghostbuster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Se84h9c.jpg

9jzs4Pc.jpg

fenN1DU.jpg

Yup agreed on the ex ambulance bit.

My first thought on seeing the roof extension.

As a general aside - Ambulances built on a car base (as opposed to Mercedes Sprinter/Ford Transit) seems a common enough tradition in continental European countries.

You will find Volvo V70, Merc E class etc as ambulances.

Back in the day when Volvo were getting big into selling T5s to UK police as traffic cop chariots they were looking to sell V90* and S80 based ambos to UK ambulance trusts.

But they never got going with them.

*the old 960 in final form was called S and V90 to come in line with the Volvo new model naming set up in mid to late 90s - as in S/V40, S/C/V70 and S80 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What year would that Citreon be?

Old diesel wrote: »
    As a general aside - Ambulances built on a car base (as opposed to Mercedes Sprinter/Ford Transit) seems a common enough tradition in continental European countries.

You will find Volvo V70, Merc E class etc as ambulances.

Back in the day when Volvo were getting big into selling T5s to UK police as traffic cop chariots they were looking to sell V90* and S80 based ambos to UK ambulance trusts.

But they never got going with them.

*the old 960 in final form was called S and V90 to come in line with the Volvo new model naming set up in mid to late 90s - as in S/V40, S/C/V70 and S80 etc.

And its exactly the "aside" why I love this thread.

Outside of W124 and Duke's horns for auld metal of course. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

sligojoek wrote: »
    What year would that Citreon be?
    German number plates don't appear to indicate the age of the car (at least from some cursory googling).
    I would guess that this car is mid 80's just from the look of it in person. The build quality, styling, the lack of head rests and the way it's been worn would suggest that it's older than a 90's car even. I've attached the full-size pic of the back of the car where the make and model has been partially worn away with time/usage. I didn't look inside the car (that would be a bit too nosy) but did notice that the car seats all have covers on them which may suggest that they are well worn. The seat covers even seemed old - reminded me of a those fluffy ones my dad had in his car in the 80s.
    Fair play to whoever drove it from Germany. They must have full confidence that it would not break down.

• Advertisement

The early CXs had chrome around the windows.

That one has black.

I suspect it's a 1980 to 85 car as they changed the bumpers in 1985 as part of a facelift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Two Mercs from a couple of weeks ago. The 300SE looked very graceful going around corners after that but I wasn't able to take any more pics. Not great quality pics as I later discovered the camera was on macro settings that day.

478438.jpg

478439.jpg

478440.jpg

478441.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭selectamatic

20190422-191855.jpg

Generation gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

recent sightings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That datsun is incredible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Also loving the Datsun

Yup. All over the Datsun

Always had a weird soft spot for these and their particular brand of weirdness.

Hated the face-lifted version.

01 multipla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Always had a weird soft spot for these and their particular brand of weirdness.

Hated the face-lifted version.

01 multipla

I was offered a free one a few weeks ago!

I was offered a free one a few weeks ago!

Exsqueeze me?

• Advertisement

Exsqueeze me?

A diesel wheelchair adapted one, with a snapped timing belt. You're welcome to it if you want it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Sorry for the poor photos. This Tipo really looked like it just came through a time portal.

IMG-20190426-224254.jpg

IMG-20190426-224433.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Great spot. Think it was on here before.

I have seen that Tipo around Coolock in the recent past with a young driver behind the wheel. However I used to see it around the wider north Dublin area (Coolock/Artane/Raheny/Santry/Ballymun on various occasions) with an older driver at the wheel, so I can only presume they have given up driving altogether or just given up their trusty Tipo. Good to see that its obviously in enthusiastic or at least sympathetic hands anyway. I saw it in Ikea a few years ago and it had 260k miles on the clock then.

Any excuse is a good excuse to post my old one, which I miss dearly!

47659099852_9458f735d8_c.jpg

I remember thinking the Tipo was the greatest thing ever when 11/12* year old me was let sit in the drivers seat of a 1989 example in 1989.

Was only a few weeks old with less then 1000 miles on the clock.

New car smell present and correct.

I VERY quick moved my desired car top pick to the Citroen BX months later when a Citroen BX brochure arrived into my hands.

Fickle I very much was.

In 1990 the P10 Primera was THE car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I have seen that Tipo around Coolock in the recent past with a young driver behind the wheel. However I used to see it around the wider north Dublin area (Coolock/Artane/Raheny/Santry/Ballymun on various occasions) with an older driver at the wheel, so I can only presume they have given up driving altogether or just given up their trusty Tipo. Good to see that its obviously in enthusiastic or at least sympathetic hands anyway. I saw it in Ikea a few years ago and it had 260k miles on the clock then.

Any excuse is a good excuse to post my old one, which I miss dearly!

Got the impression the original driver was at the wheel. Without wanting to speculate on people's family situation, it looked like there was a very happy family group in the car. I suspect that vehicle will be enjoyed and appreciated by multiple generations for some time to come.

260k miles is amazing. Must be a well maintained vehicle.

Very glad to learn a bit more about that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Taken on a city bus. Nissan Cherry Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    4dluTJU.jpg

HFOWjj9.jpg

Triumph Spitfire yesterday evening in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Wonderful reg number.

'rina on the N3

40750204753_1f3ae25057_c.jpg

Yesterday was the day for older Toyotas in Cavan town.
    5IL954U.jpg

nlfB3oV.jpg

KZaepnx.jpg

Last weekend saw this nice Corolla in Athlone
    UW4L3lH.jpg

And later on this lovely Mercedes in Galway.
    pd3elIj.jpg
    lcEugwE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Old Landy

mayota wrote: »
    Old Landy
    Looks like a coil sprung chassis under that old girl, or would it be one of the very early 90's?

That datsun is incredible.

it's great to see, not the 1st time I've seen it around.
    I think the owner might be an occasional poster here, and I think he may have another oldie on the go too.

• Advertisement

As I was lamenting not being able to get the phone out to take a pic of a gorgeous red LandCruiser on Hatch Street with reg 516 CZO.

I turned onto Camden St to see this lovely 500SEC

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Few days ago in Kilcock.

Macroom and Ballymote :

20190430-214619.jpg

20190430-214803.jpgshell gas station map

Charlotte Way and Hatch St are goldmines these days

The roof on that MG should be down!

• Advertisement

Charlotte Way and Hatch St are goldmines these days

very nice... full fat S600 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tc20 wrote: »
    very nice... full fat S600 :cool:

I'm pretty certain I know that car. The owner lives in the same estate as my folks, he's had it a long time and it's a beauty. Fair play to him.

2CV, the poor French mans tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Funny how a lot of the old cars seen on the road are Toyota's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Funny how a lot of the old cars seen on the road are Toyota's!

They were built to last and were/are very popular because of that. It's not too surprising tbh.

Sunny and Corolla in Ringsend and Marino respectively this morning. Starlet was in Cherrywood this afternoon and looked to be keeping up very well with traffic.

47756143151_f4c5568757_c.jpg

47756143121_b22458f32c_c.jpg

40793348583_a8143e2ec2_c.jpg

Slightly unrelated but of interest to a few on here I reckon. This Prelude will be familiar to anyone who travels the Malahide road into town regularly, it has sat in that garden for a long time and the house (which I'd guess is worth about €1m) is similarly forlorn. I just noticed this evening that someone has had a go at cleaning off the grime and algae on the bonnet so I'd guess its either going to be sold or scrapped pretty soon. The garden has also bee tidied up a bit. Irish car from new and only 1 owner according to carsireland, it'd be a real shame to see it scrapped. I would knock about it myself but I have no space as it is

40793348433_18167148f6_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Since it's a 2.2 irish one it'd have to be a 185bhp h22 wouldn't it? I don't think europe got the lower powered f22.

You should really make space Duke ;)

€951 tax for another 4 years :(

I drive by it every day and have thought about knocking in loads of times, but its on a busy main road so I'd say loads of lads tried in the past and were ran from the door. The fact its been cleaned up in the last few days is probably a good sign though, I'd guess the owner could be easily persuaded to part with it. I just added this to the fleet on Friday though:

32782694137_f6726e64e2_c.jpg

I'm also making good ground on potentially getting hold of a 3 door Jap ep80 belonging to a friend's grandfather who stopped driving a few years ago. I mentioned it in this thread before ages ago but its a slow process. More on that when/if it happens though..

I'll definitely make space for that!

, boards is doing that Cloudflare crap. Thurles. 1926 Buick. I was on the phone and buying a parking ticket when it passed by me. Unfortunately I couldn’t get a photo of the front. Seen the front though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement